For anyone getting compass redundancy switch errors.
2621 15 2016-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

I think I may have an solution for anyone experiencing constant "compass redundancy switch / compass error" errors during flight. You need to do a firmware restore.

Downgrade to V01.02.0900, make sure to restart the aircraft afterwards. Then upgrade to V01.03.0200. Restart the aircraft again. Go outside and do an IMU calibration as well as a compass calibration, being at least 10 metres away from any metal or steel structures. Also make sure to have no mobile on you or other device with cellular or wifi connection. When doing the compass calibration, make sure to point the Mavic downwards during the second part of the calibration.

Once you've done that, restart the aircraft and do a test-flight. Errors shouldn't be coming up at all, or at least be coming up a lot less. At least that's how things went down for me a little while ago this morning.

If your compass details look like mine here in HealthyDrones, everything is fine.

Here's the flight-log of my latest flight if anyone's interested.

I went out at least 1260 metres in distance and at an altitude of around 300 metres with no signal interference issues. I didn't get any compass redundancy switch errors, only the occassional compass error, possibly due to fog being present in the area but no constant compass errors, so that tells me that both compasses are working fine, which I'm really glad about. Flight conditions were terrible with loads of fog, and an temperature of around 4 degrees. Can't see anything when above 100 metres. Mostly flight above clouds. Aircraft came back with quite a few wet spots, but still fully working.
Compass.png
2016-12-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Altitude of 300 meters might be a law against that, good work with the compass
2016-12-30
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

That's interesting but way too much labor for me to try. While I get the error in Sport mode in full throttle, it seems benign otherwise. I fly through the error now and don't notice any issues in flight or connectivity with RC. The error always dissipates as soon as I let off the gas.  
2016-12-30
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Wind Junkie Posted at 2016-12-30 06:18
That's interesting but way too much labor for me to try. While I get the error in Sport mode in full throttle, it seems benign otherwise. I fly through the error now and don't notice any issues in flight or connectivity with RC. The error always dissipates as soon as I let off the gas.

Well I was just going to do the firmware reset process thinking that might just sort out the issue, but then I saw DJI Ken's post about needing to remove all metal stuff as well as cellular and wifi devices from your pockets while doing the calibration. Once I had read that, I then realised that I had my Galaxy S6 smartphone in my pocket during all of my compass calibrations. With mobile data turned on.

I did my latest compass in my backyard garden without the smartphone on me as well turning on airplane mode on the iPod Touch 6th Generation I use for each flight.

I dont think I was doing the compass calibration procedure correctly neither. Needed to have the drone pointed downwards during the second part of the calibration.

I still recommend doing the firmware reset procedure though. I had time to waste so figured I'd do that too.
2016-12-30
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-30 05:22

But it was in his garden lol

But Enkeixpress, I think Hallmark is right, you might not want to be that high... Even in UK
2016-12-30
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Enkeixpress Posted at 2016-12-30 09:20
Well I was just going to do the firmware reset process thinking that might just sort out the issue, but then I saw DJI Ken's post about needing to remove all metal stuff as well as cellular and wifi devices from your pockets while doing the calibration. Once I had read that, I then realised that I had my Galaxy S6 smartphone in my pocket during all of my compass calibrations. With mobile data turned on.

I did my latest compass in my backyard garden without the smartphone on me as well turning on airplane mode on the iPod Touch 6th Generation I use for each flight.

Yea & if you do go that high, don't write out that you did.  NEVER incriminate yourself!   

Thank you for the important info...
2016-12-30
Use props
Nyikhmur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240354 ft
Hungary

Hi, what are the compass reading at compass 1 in dji go sensors tab when younare flying in sports mode with full throttle? Sorry to say that but i do not think you solved your issue! If you see the error at compass 1 as in the picture or you have high reading than your mavic is also affected by a hardware issue. On the main screen you wont see the redundancy switch message but in sensors tab you will clearly see the interference caused by the high load on the motors at high speed.
IMG_0001.JPG
2016-12-30
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-30 05:22

I know there are laws in place for drones, but whenever I head out to a local park for a quick flight with a six-pack of my favorite beverage, laws are the last thing on my mind. I'm going there to relax and enjoy myself regardless of altitude or distance. What are the chances of anyone knowing that you're flying illegally anyway? Slim to none. In my eyes, this is a toy since it can hardly do any damage, with it being the size it is along with it only weighing around 500g. The laws are set in place for stupid people. Whereas pilots like myself can bend those laws to our liking since we know what we're doing.
2016-12-30
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nyikhmur Posted at 2016-12-30 12:12
Hi, what are the compass reading at compass 1 in dji go sensors tab when younare flying in sports mode with full throttle? Sorry to say that but i do not think you solved your issue! If you see the error at compass 1 as in the picture or you have high reading than your mavic is also affected by a hardware issue. On the main screen you wont see the redundancy switch message but in sensors tab you will clearly see the interference caused by the high load on the motors at high speed.

I'll have to get back to you on that one. I plan on taking the Mavic out for a flight tomorrow. Preferably in sport mode since I haven't been using that mode much.
2016-12-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Enkeixpress Posted at 2016-12-30 12:55
I know there are laws in place for drones, but whenever I head out to a local park for a quick flight with a six-pack of my favorite beverage, laws are the last thing on my mind. I'm going there to relax and enjoy myself regardless of altitude or distance. What are the chances of anyone knowing that you're flying illegally anyway? Slim to none. In my eyes, this is a toy since it can hardly do any damage, with it being the size it is along with it only weighing around 500g. The laws are set in place for stupid people. Whereas pilots like myself can bend those laws to our liking since we know what we're doing.

You might think it's funny, but you are putting those in manned aircraft at risk, people who fly drones safely don't need your kind of bravado or brinksmanship.

“Someone once defined a fool as a person who ignored information because it disagreed with desired results.”
2016-12-30
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

You "know laws in place for drones, but whatever".....

Laws are in place because of 'do what they want' idiots, cause accidents.
2016-12-30
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

I'm..... you know... Just sayin' that mentality... well, has no place in the sky.

But hey you say "In my eyes, this is a toy since it can hardly do any damage, with it being the size it is along with it only weighing around 500g."
Maybe if you have an incident, this toy can fall straight into your eye... since it can "hardly do any damage" {:4_156:}
2016-12-30
Use props
fans9718bd87
lvl.2
Flight distance : 274052 ft
  • >>>
United States

The compass redundancy switch is a feature that was added with the 01.03 and above firmwares. So downgrading and upgrading won't do anything. It's present in the FW to battle the rare case it has a compass error and your drone comes to a spiraling death known as TBE. The switch occurs to help prevent TBE (Toilet Bowl Effect/Event) or a fly-away. There is a thread over at MavicPilots about it and here  http://forum.dji.com/thread-76005-1-1.html
2016-12-30
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

A six-pack of beer then off you go over built up areas at 1000ft. You're a tremendous ambassador for the hobby.
2017-1-2
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

all I can say is wow......glad there is a large pond between you and I my friend.
2017-1-2
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Watty2000 Posted at 2017-1-2 17:20
A six-pack of beer then off you go over built up areas at 1000ft. You're a tremendous ambassador for the hobby.

I always fly responsibly. Even though I'm flying my Mavic Pro in an urban area like London, haven't got much choice since I live there, I fly it at an controlled altitude. I'm not a stupid pilot.
2017-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules