Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJIGO app crash during flight
2955 34 2016-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MlDtCQILOPYk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

During a POI flight on my Mavic my phone just went black like it wasnt switched on. It had 60% battery.  I hit the pause button first on the remote, it hovered but it remained in POI mode and I couldnt exit to take control so i hit the return to home. I am new to drone flying and this was a bit stressful! Has anyone else experienced the black screen mid flight?
2016-12-30
Use props
Incredible Aeri
lvl.1

United States

iOS or Android?
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I used to fly the Mavic on Android (Samsung S6 phone) now I fly it in on IOS (iPhone7) and have never had an issue on either.
What device are you using, and is it on the DJI recommended device list?

iOS Version v4.0.1.
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus.
Android Version v4.0.1.
Android version 4.4.0 or later. Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Huawei Mate 8, LG V20, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
2016-12-30
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

This brings up an interesting point. As the OP experienced, hitting Pause only pauses the mission, but doesn't exit the mode.

If the phone crashes or dies (for whatever reason) while the aircraft is in one of the automated flight modes, is there currently a way to exit and return to normal mode using just the RC? If not, perhaps we could request something like a long press of the Pause button to return to Normal flight mode.
2016-12-30
Use props
MlDtCQILOPYk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

iPhone - after further research apparently the iphone 6s is not good in the cold (it was 5c so not that cold) and is known to cut out
2016-12-31
Use props
MlDtCQILOPYk
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-30 08:32
I used to fly the Mavic on Android (Samsung S6 phone) now I fly it in on IOS (iPhone7) and have never had an issue on either.
What device are you using, and is it on the DJI recommended device list?

i was using iPhone 6s
2016-12-31
Use props
burst
lvl.1

New Zealand

same, this happened to me after I upgraded the firmware. Screen/camera blacked out (seems mavic got disconnected) . I had to exit the app and restart to regain visual, but blacked out again.
Using iphone 7 plus, ios 10.2

2016-12-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

That's strange, I am not having any issues.
2016-12-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

burst Posted at 2016-12-31 01:27
same, this happened to me after I upgraded the firmware. Screen/camera blacked out (seems mavic got disconnected) . I had to exit the app and restart to regain visual, but blacked out again.

Is it still doing it?
2016-12-31
Use props
Andy123
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Yes, its the cold weather here in the UK, (2 -3c) I was out walking yesterday, after an hour my iphone died with 80% battery remaining, i switched it back on and then was fine then for the rest of the walk. I think i'm going to need to stick a heat pad on the back of it if I'm using it with my Mavic in cold conditions
2017-1-1
Use props
Andy123
lvl.1

United Kingdom

burst Posted at 2016-12-31 01:27

what was the outside temperature when you were flying? I'm thinking its a phone issue not a DJI issue
2017-1-1
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Spain

This happened to me too (phone crash). The pause button was semi-helpful. It stopped the flight but as RTH was no option, and the drone could not be controlled manually, this was quite an issue for me.

I think I initiated RTH and stopped it using the pause button to gain manual control again.

I think, a simple solution to regain full manual control in case a phone crashes would be nice. Maybe the pause button could do this.

Suggestion:

Press pause: drone stops and hovers.

Press pause again: Last mission is resumed.

Press pause then touch one of the sticks: Cancel mission, give full manual control.
2017-1-1
Use props
ueuezaza
lvl.3
Flight distance : 457976 ft
Italy

Andy123 Posted at 2017-1-1 04:14
Yes, its the cold weather here in the UK, (2 -3c) I was out walking yesterday, after an hour my iphone died with 80% battery remaining, i switched it back on and then was fine then for the rest of the walk. I think i'm going to need to stick a heat pad on the back of it if I'm using it with my Mavic in cold conditions

Well, I think I know the problem and it's not a problem of DJI's app (or at least only in part), but of your phone if you are using an iPhone 6s.
There has been a battery recall from Apple regarding some iPhone 6s that experience problem with battery life. The phone turns off as if it would be discharged, then after a while you turn it back on and it shows you a higher battery percentage and after a while turns again back off.

You probably experience that only/mainly with DJI Go app since it's one of the most battery draining apps I have ever used.

Check on Apples website if your iPhone 6s is one of the defect devices.
2017-1-1
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

I just had 20mins ago simular issue. Took off, suddenly the app said: Aircraft Disconnected. That was weird, as i was still controlling it. You press twice to exit on andoird, that popup stayed on there after I even killed the app, because it wouldn't exit, the a few seconds later, it was "killed". Then I opened the app again, still wouldn't connect "aircraft disconnected" I then restarted everyting and then app worked normal again.

Im on a Galaxy S6.
2017-1-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Andy123 Posted at 2017-1-1 04:14

Sorry about that, can you try a different device?
2017-1-1
Use props
Andy123
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Dronoob Posted at 2017-1-1 07:40
This happened to me too (phone crash). The pause button was semi-helpful. It stopped the flight but as RTH was no option, and the drone could not be controlled manually, this was quite an issue for me.

I think I initiated RTH and stopped it using the pause button to gain manual control again.

Thanks, that useful advice: Pause / RTH and then cancel RTH to gain back control
2017-1-2
Use props
Andy123
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-1 15:52
Sorry about that, can you try a different device?

I've got an iPad mini which i will try but today I'm going to try a heat pad on the back of my phone
2017-1-2
Use props
Andy123
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Nees Posted at 2017-1-1 08:16
I just had 20mins ago simular issue. Took off, suddenly the app said: Aircraft Disconnected. That was weird, as i was still controlling it. You press twice to exit on andoird, that popup stayed on there after I even killed the app, because it wouldn't exit, the a few seconds later, it was "killed". Then I opened the app again, still wouldn't connect "aircraft disconnected" I then restarted everyting and then app worked normal again.

Im on a Galaxy S6.

I'm not 100% sure but i think some of my issues in the past with disconnection have been with the cable not fitting snug into my phone. When I fly now I really make sure i've got the cable pushed all the way in and the side handles are pushed in tight.
2017-1-2
Use props
Andy123
lvl.1

United Kingdom

OK so I've checked my iPhone6s on the apple site for unexpected shutdown and it is affected by the recall of battery's
2017-1-2
Use props
janidiver
lvl.4
Croatia

Nees Posted at 2017-1-1 08:16

Im on a Galaxy S6.

I have this issue on 31.12.2016 . After aprox. 6 min  i get the the message "aircraft disconnected" and it was no way to reconnect it. I need more than 4 minutes to successfully start RTH button on RC.
This as the first issue for me and it was  already the 34 Flight from Dez. 9th til now (with  Mavic). Its happened after the upgrade Firmware from DJI go form 4.0 to 4.01 and Firmware to v02.03.0200.
On 1st of January 2017 was no issue. I save all flight records an will install DJIgo 4 again (clean installation). In my opinion is the problem with DJI GO 4.01 or USB cable. I use Samsung S6 Edge.
I made a few Print screen from this flight.
All Flight Mavic.JPG
Battery.JPG
GE1.JPG
Log1.JPG
Log2.JPG
2017-1-2
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Belgium

Andy123 Posted at 2017-1-2 00:28
I'm not 100% sure but i think some of my issues in the past with disconnection have been with the cable not fitting snug into my phone. When I fly now I really make sure i've got the cable pushed all the way in and the side handles are pushed in tight.

The App said "RC Connected" but when you go INTO the app (that blue button that normally says: Lets Fly), it still said: Aircraft Disconnected.

2017-1-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Andy123 Posted at 2017-1-2 00:24
I've got an iPad mini which i will try but today I'm going to try a heat pad on the back of my phone

Sounds good, let us know. My iPad Mini works just fine, but I haven't flown in extreme cold yet.
2017-1-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Andy123 Posted at 2017-1-2 00:28

Yes, make sure the plug is fully seated into your device, making sure both handles are squeezed all the way will assure the plug is fully inserted. You can also push on the plug form the back through the handle.
2017-1-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Andy123 Posted at 2017-1-2 00:37
OK so I've checked my iPhone6s on the apple site for unexpected shutdown and it is affected by the recall of battery's

That may be what the cause was.
2017-1-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

janidiver Posted at 2017-1-2 03:52
I have this issue on 31.12.2016 . After aprox. 6 min  i get the the message "aircraft disconnected" and it was no way to reconnect it. I need more than 4 minutes to successfully start RTH button on RC.
This as the first issue for me and it was  already the 34 Flight from Dez. 9th til now (with  Mavic). Its happened after the upgrade Firmware from DJI go form 4.0 to 4.01 and Firmware to v02.03.0200.
On 1st of January 2017 was no issue. I save all flight records an will install DJIgo 4 again (clean installation). In my opinion is the problem with DJI GO 4.01 or USB cable. I use Samsung S6 Edge.

Healthy Drones cannot be fully relied on, it's best to start a ticket with support and send them your DAT file for full analysis if you are having issues.
2017-1-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Nees Posted at 2017-1-2 04:05
The App said "RC Connected" but when you go INTO the app (that blue button that normally says: Lets Fly), it still said: Aircraft Disconnected.

That means the RC is connected to your device but the aircraft is not. Try unplugging the cable then plugging it back in.
2017-1-2
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Belgium

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-2 06:58
That means the RC is connected to your device but the aircraft is not. Try unplugging the cable then plugging it back in.

It was really the app acting up. Like I said, couldn't even get it to close... Had to kill it in memory before i could start it even again.  Even then, not ok, just restarted everything and worked again.

2017-1-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Nees Posted at 2017-1-2 07:14
It was really the app acting up. Like I said, couldn't even get it to close... Had to kill it in memory before i could start it even again.  Even then, not ok, just restarted everything and worked again.

That's strange, I had a S6 and everything worked great.
I got rid of that and got an iPhone so I cannot test that anymore.
2017-1-2
Use props
janidiver
lvl.4
Croatia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-2 06:57
Healthy Drones cannot be fully relied on, it's best to start a ticket with support and send them your DAT file for full analysis if you are having issues.

Thanks Ken, i will start tomorrow a ticket with support and send them DAT file. This Year (2 Days) i have no issues at all but I reinstall  the DJGo4 on S 6 edge first (clean installation) .
The Mavic PRO is amazing drone but for all of us must be clear that the check list before take off is realy necessary it dosent matter how many flights you have.
Have a nice day.
2017-1-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

janidiver Posted at 2017-1-2 14:08
Thanks Ken, i will start tomorrow a ticket with support and send them DAT file. This Year (2 Days) i have no issues at all but I reinstall  the DJGo4 on S 6 edge first (clean installation) .
The Mavic PRO is amazing drone but for all of us must be clear that the check list before take off is realy necessary it dosent matter how many flights you have.
Have a nice day.

I agree, a pre-flight checklist can save your aircraft. Or it can be as little as forgetting to put in a SD Card.
Regardless, if you have a thorough checklist, your chances of having an issue is greatly minimized.
2017-1-2
Use props
FF6022
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-2 15:14
I agree, a pre-flight checklist can save your aircraft. Or it can be as little as forgetting to put in a SD Card.
Regardless, if you have a thorough checklist, your chances of having an issue is greatly minimized.

Hello. I had a similar issue today flying a waypoint mission. Phone screen (iPhone 6) just went blank and had to hold the lock button to get it to turn on again. I believe it to have been a phone issue, craft was fine and was still flying the mission even though I hit RTH and linked to RC no issues, lucky I did my preflight checks and set a good RTH altitude.. Also ken can you confirm for those who asked, if your mid POI or waypoint mission pause stops craft then flicking to sport mode ends mission, then flick it back to P mode if you need/want it. Isn't that correct?
2017-1-2
Use props
FF6022
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-2 15:14

Also forgot to say, I was having issue getting phone to connect to RC to receive camera image and data. It would some times work, sometimes not. Everything was always done in correct order and phone placed well in holders. I tried the USB port on the bottom (with standard iPhone cable) and never had an issue, so removed black cable from slide mechanism in left handle and now don't have an issue with that. So I think the black slide mechanism can cause poor cable connection depending on where your phone etc..... is situated in the handles. Didn't know if this is a recognised issue.
2017-1-2
Use props
MikeQView
Second Officer
United Kingdom

+1 on the slide /holder, i had to remove mine too a couple of weeks ago as it was causing poor connections,  now the USB lines up more freely
2017-1-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

FF6022 Posted at 2017-1-2 16:13
Hello. I had a similar issue today flying a waypoint mission. Phone screen (iPhone 6) just went blank and had to hold the lock button to get it to turn on again. I believe it to have been a phone issue, craft was fine and was still flying the mission even though I hit RTH and linked to RC no issues, lucky I did my preflight checks and set a good RTH altitude.. Also ken can you confirm for those who asked, if your mid POI or waypoint mission pause stops craft then flicking to sport mode ends mission, then flick it back to P mode if you need/want it. Isn't that correct?

I will test it this week, I'm guessing that when you put it into Sports Mode it cancels out the mission/POI then putting it back to P mode would NOT continue the mission/POI.
2017-1-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

FF6022 Posted at 2017-1-2 16:35
Also forgot to say, I was having issue getting phone to connect to RC to receive camera image and data. It would some times work, sometimes not. Everything was always done in correct order and phone placed well in holders. I tried the USB port on the bottom (with standard iPhone cable) and never had an issue, so removed black cable from slide mechanism in left handle and now don't have an issue with that. So I think the black slide mechanism can cause poor cable connection depending on where your phone etc..... is situated in the handles. Didn't know if this is a recognised issue.

I do not use the side USB cable anymore as I leave my iPad Mini in the holder and use the bottom port. But their was a few times when using the side cable and my iPhone7 Plus that it lost connection because I had not fully pushed plug into my phone.
2017-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules