Is it possible to take still images in FPV mode?
6477 5 2014-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
foylefergus
lvl.1

Ireland

Hi,

This sounds like such a simple question but I can't seem to figure it out!

Is it possible to take still images using the Boscam Thunderbolt FPV setup with a monitor and Gopro Hero 3+? I can only take stills from a video as once it's in the air I have no way of changing between video and camera. Is there a solution as the quality of the stills is so poor. The only other solution I can think of could be to set it to a time lapse at 30 second intervals but then I believe I won't get FPV on the monitor, plus you'd have to hoever it for a while at every location not knowing fi you're getting the right image? Anyone got any ideas? Surely there must be a way! In the past when I had a FC40, I just watched FPV through the iphone app and easily toggled between video and camera so I'm surprised there's no way of doing this with a monitor set up?

Apologies if this is a stupid question!

Thanks
2014-10-5
Use props
daniel.rothamel
lvl.1
United States

I had this question, too, until I did some research.  There is no way to remotely control the GoPro from the ground.  What you have to do is enable the GoPro to take photos and video SIMULTANEOUSLY.  When you do that, you can set the GoPro to take a picture at a regular interval while it is also taking video.  I always set it for every 5 seconds.  The only thing to remember is that doing this will limit your possible resolution settings for the video.

This YouTube video explains how to change the settings on your GoPro to make it work:  

It works great.
2014-10-5
Use props
peteroudenes
lvl.2

Netherlands

Read this... you can use GoPro and still have the FPV using DJI Vision App

http://dronexpert.nl/product/pre ... i-phantom-2-vision/
2014-10-5
Use props
foylefergus
lvl.1

Ireland

daniel.rothamel Posted at 2014-10-6 01:30
I had this question, too, until I did some research.  There is no way to remotely control the GoPro  ...

Thanks Daniel...that works perfect. Ideally it would be great to shoot 1080p50 but it seems you can only use a lower rate video. But just the ability to take photos without having to use screenshots from a video is good so thanks for the tip!
2014-10-7
Use props
foylefergus
lvl.1

Ireland

peteroudenes Posted at 2014-10-6 01:47

http://dronexpert.nl/pro ...

Thanks as well Peter but I don't want to have to buy an additional product just to take the photos as I was thinking there must be an easy solution with the Gopro so I'll go with Daniels suggestion.

Different subject but I love the 360 panorama head on that link you sent...I'm going to have to get one of them for site survey work so thanks for the link!
2014-10-7
Use props
stryjek
lvl.3
United Kingdom

peteroudenes Posted at 2014-10-6 01:47

http://dronexpert.nl/pro ...

great solution but not yet availible
2014-10-7
Use props
Advanced