Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Landing gear stuck
2201 28 2016-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rschutte3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 275577 ft
United States

First flight with my inspire 2 today. Everything went great until I went in to land. Flipped the gear switch to lower and the landing gear got stuck in travel mode. Anyone else have this problem? I was able to land on a set of 4x4's and to avoid damaging my x5s
2016-12-30
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I would Inspect that VPS sensor , make sure nothing is binding on the gear as well.  Wow , that is a real bummer on such a high end machine , hope you find  a fix quick .Some other helpful members who just received there machine may be able to help you , not sure if there is a different procedure for it . Sorry I cant help you more .

****I  am not 100% versed on the Inspire 2 .  Maybe ask Casey Neistat, he is the guy on You Tube that DJI gives new product  too ......I am sure he would be happy to help you ......( sarcasm )
If I figure something out or another thread has a solution I will let you know .  Please keep us posted if you find a solutiion  for the benefit of others as well.  

donnie

2016-12-31
Use props
Rschutte3
lvl.3
United States

After the semi-crash landing I cycled the power and the landing gear operated normally. I am going to pull the logs and send to dji
2016-12-31
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

If I buy one, I think I'm going to find something round to land it in so the camera doesn't hit the ground on landing if the landing gear faults.  Need to find something portable as I don't think I'll find 4x4's nearby.  Maybe a kid's blow-up life saver from Dollar General, or Boom-Pa's hemorrhoid cushion?
2016-12-31
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-12-31 11:09
If I buy one, I think I'm going to find something round to land it in so the camera doesn't hit the ground on landing if the landing gear faults.  Need to find something portable as I don't think I'll find 4x4's nearby.  Maybe a kid's blow-up life saver from Dollar General, or Boom-Pa's hemorrhoid cushion?

You can also just catch it as well, just be sure to grab  the fuselage firmly from the bottom and not the camera . It works in a Pinch but would not advise doing it each time , also only if you have the skill and reflexes as well.  I dont like the idea of landing on the Hemorrhoid  cushion , to many variables and 'Boom-Pa " will be missing it !

donnie
2017-1-1
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow I am surprised you had trouble already with the new Inspire 2. Glad you were able to get it down without issues.  Did you note the height indicated with the VPS on the Go App? I would definitely report this to DJI and send in your logs files. Is all of the FW up to date? Maybe they had some last minute fixes ?

Rich
2017-1-1
Use props
Rschutte3
lvl.3
United States

Donnie- problem with hand catching is the gear is stuck in travel mode, giving you very little room to grab without props in your fingers. My ninja reflexes are not that good.

Rich- I did not do a full software check. I did check the app when I turned the craft on, the inspire and controller and camera were ready to go.
2017-1-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

What's the color of the light blinking when you click the power button for five times?
2017-1-2
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rschutte3 Posted at 2017-1-2 09:48
Donnie- problem with hand catching is the gear is stuck in travel mode, giving you very little room to grab without props in your fingers. My ninja reflexes are not that good.

Rich- I did not do a full software check. I did check the app when I turned the craft on, the inspire and controller and camera were ready to go.

Rschutte3,
Maybe you can take a screen shot of the FW for us or video showing the problem (if it still exists)  
I do not doubt your Go App was ready to go, I was only curious if the new  FW could fix this?

Rich
2017-1-2
Use props
fans408026e9
lvl.1

United States

I had the exact same happen to me on two flights.... out of 4... The first flight it was coming back from a critical bat landing and then the landing gear was stuck half way when it landed on the camera.  I put it back into the air immediately and cycled the switch until it finally worked.  Then the second time it came down but did the same thing resulting in a minor crash where it flipped upside down.   I also find it disturbing that the aircraft will not auto shut off when it knows it is at an improper flight angle.  I had to  wait till all the blades exploded away to safely approach it to turn it off.  NON of the controls shut off the motors I had to pull the battery out.  
2017-1-14
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Rschutte3 Posted at 2017-1-2 09:48

That is why I added this caveat   ,"only if you have the skill and reflexes as well. " I knew it was not going to work for everyone .  What an awful dilemma to be in , I have never had it happen personally where the gear would not come down .

donnie
2017-1-14
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

fans408026e9 Posted at 2017-1-14 06:03
I had the exact same happen to me on two flights.... out of 4... The first flight it was coming back from a critical bat landing and then the landing gear was stuck half way when it landed on the camera.  I put it back into the air immediately and cycled the switch until it finally worked.  Then the second time it came down but did the same thing resulting in a minor crash where it flipped upside down.   I also find it disturbing that the aircraft will not auto shut off when it knows it is at an improper flight angle.  I had to  wait till all the blades exploded away to safely approach it to turn it off.  NON of the controls shut off the motors I had to pull the battery out.

If you  are having this happen 50% of the time and there is no obvious solution I would send it back in for evaluation .  Explain what happened , maybe if  they see it as a bind in the worm gear for the Landing gear they will get you some new props or replace anything else that was damaged.
Did you try and do the CSC  ( combined Stick Command ) to turn off the machine because it was an emergency ?  IF this is an Inspire 2 I think you push the Home  button as well as lowering the Left stick to full OFF.  Inspire 1 just uses the standard full sticks in or out .  Like the starting procedure .

*The improper angle shut off would be a tough one to implement. I for one would LOVE to see a covered flip Momentary switch for starting and stopping the motors. I had no trouble with this feature on my Yuneec Products.   Being covered would eliminate any accidental engagement .

good luck

donnie
2017-1-14
Use props
fans408026e9
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-14 06:22
If you  are having this happen 50% of the time and there is no obvious solution I would send it back in for evaluation .  Explain what happened , maybe if  they see it as a bind in the worm gear for the Landing gear they will get you some new props or replace anything else that was damaged.
Did you try and do the CSC  ( combined Stick Command ) to turn off the machine because it was an emergency ?  IF this is an Inspire 2 I think you push the Home  button as well as lowering the Left stick to full OFF.  Inspire 1 just uses the standard full sticks in or out .  Like the starting procedure .

Yes I have sent it in for repair and hopefully they will cover it seeing as it was only my 4th flight in 2 days.  But I mean it was upside down.. and just spinning on the ground.  Surely it can sense this and should shut off.  I would think anything over 45 degrees would be unable to fly and should be the emergency cutoff.  I used to have a toy parrot drone and it had this safety feature. If it went beyond a certain angle it would shut off and also if anything touched the blades it would shut off.  I can just think of it falling and cutting someone... Non of the controller commands stopped the motors I had to wait till they broke away and was able to pick it up to pull the battery. Not even hitting the main power button did anything.  Def should be more documents on what to do in an emergency.   Maybe even an emergency button on the app to swipe twice or something....
2017-1-14
Use props
michael.michael
lvl.3
Flight distance : 935 ft
  • >>>
United States

This happened to me today. It went into travel mode and refused to come out. After around 10 tries the landing gear finally went down. I tried it again 20 minutes later and it worked fine. Pretty scary,  
trying to figure out how to catch it and shut off the motors by myself...
2017-1-14
Use props
fans408026e9
lvl.1

United States

michael.michael Posted at 2017-1-14 16:24
This happened to me today. It went into travel mode and refused to come out. After around 10 tries the landing gear finally went down. I tried it again 20 minutes later and it worked fine. Pretty scary,  
trying to figure out how to catch it and shut off the motors by myself...

I am kinda glad this is happening to more people and it wasn't just me.  Hopefully they will fix my damage.  Good luck
2017-1-14
Use props
fanse5656c17
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes, this happened to me as well....
2017-1-14
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 768448 ft
United States

If I recall correctly, I think the Inspire 1 had the same problem and it was a VPS adjustment in the firmware.  I'll look out for this when I fly mine.  Just for my own piece of mind, did the aircraft ever touch down and then raise the legs back up to midway point (travel mode)?  If so, it's going to be harder to safely land.
2017-1-14
Use props
fans408026e9
lvl.1

United States

GabeZ Posted at 2017-1-14 21:25
If I recall correctly, I think the Inspire 1 had the same problem and it was a VPS adjustment in the firmware.  I'll look out for this when I fly mine.  Just for my own piece of mind, did the aircraft ever touch down and then raise the legs back up to midway point (travel mode)?  If so, it's going to be harder to safely land.

Mine landed on the gimbal twice.  Both with auto land on.  It seems to me like the sensor is getting bad readings as it would go -feet after it touched down.
2017-1-15
Use props
Alastair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 96631 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-1-1 13:58
Wow I am surprised you had trouble already with the new Inspire 2. Glad you were able to get it down without issues.  Did you note the height indicated with the VPS on the Go App? I would definitely report this to DJI and send in your logs files. Is all of the FW up to date? Maybe they had some last minute fixes ?

Rich

After all the issues we had with the I1...I'm not surprised
2017-1-15
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

fans408026e9 Posted at 2017-1-15 00:45
Mine landed on the gimbal twice.  Both with auto land on.  It seems to me like the sensor is getting bad readings as it would go -feet after it touched down.

Is the VPS giving good data on the go app main screen from 10 feet and below ?  If it is not then that would indicate where the problem is .  

donnie
2017-1-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Rschutte3 Posted at 2016-12-31 06:51
After the semi-crash landing I cycled the power and the landing gear operated normally. I am going to pull the logs and send to dji

Normally, if you keep lowering power and the VPS senses ground (snow or a non-patterned surface could be a problem), it shuts off, you get a warning message and then the landing gear lowers.  I have not had problems with my I2 but have flown only a limited number of times.

When I hand caught yesterday, the gear did not come down as it usually does on the I1 when one brings the bird close to the ground. As such, I think there is some tweaking to do with the thresholds for gear lowering.

If you cannot lower the gear by flipping the switch, raise it and then lower it again. This always works.
2017-1-15
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Alastair Posted at 2017-1-15 05:52
After all the issues we had with the I1...I'm not surprised

I understand things can happen but this is not DJI first transforming design... How the heck did this get out of the factory? Did the latest FW update cause the problem?

I am shocked

All the best
Rich
2017-1-15
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-15 19:28
Normally, if you keep lowering power and the VPS senses ground (snow or a non-patterned surface could be a problem), it shuts off, you get a warning message and then the landing gear lowers.  I have not had problems with my I2 but have flown only a limited number of times.

When I hand caught yesterday, the gear did not come down as it usually does on the I1 when one brings the bird close to the ground. As such, I think there is some tweaking to do with the thresholds for gear lowering.

Or turn off the VPS altogether for now until DJI comes up with a FW fix

Rich
2017-1-15
Use props
joejoe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 194003 ft
Germany

I had the issue, too.
(no way to lower the gear, had to catch it)

Also posted it again to make aware of it:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-80918-1-1.html
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

joejoe Posted at 2017-1-17 09:18
I had the issue, too.
(no way to lower the gear, had to catch it)

I responded to you on your own thread.
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

For those of you that had issues, what kind of surfaces were you trying to land on? Have you tried calibrating the sensors in the Assistant 2 software?
2017-1-17
Use props
Kankles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Come on ya'll.  Remember the 3 month rule with all DJI products  (as in wait 3 months for all of the problems to be fixed, then buy it).
2017-1-17
Use props
fans408026e9
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-17 23:34
For those of you that had issues, what kind of surfaces were you trying to land on? Have you tried calibrating the sensors in the Assistant 2 software?

Normal flat black rooftop... Plenty of light and texture.. The ultasonic sensors should have no issues with this.  
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fans408026e9 Posted at 2017-1-18 17:51
Normal flat black rooftop... Plenty of light and texture.. The ultasonic sensors should have no issues with this.

And you are sure that the sensors are clean?
2017-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules