What the hell happened .Nearly lost her.
123Next >
4493 81 2016-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
perryb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just got my 4 pro .Had issues all week but today was the scariest in my 3 years of flying . I was building on range and was about 2500 feet out and 400 feet high . I get a message that there is a power plant and to be careful .There is no plant there,I am over my own land .I keep flying  then I started to get various messages that certain things were not working .I can not remember what they all said but it gave me the option to wait ,which I did.I now can not get the drone to respond, everything is frozen .So I rebooted the built in tablet,never done that with a drone in the air .I know I am over houses but can not see,no camera . After the reboot it connected to the drone .Then I get a message, large wind velocity .It is flat calm ,no wind .I still could not see where I was as the maps were not working .I pushed RTH and prayed .In a few minutes I could hear her then saw her .I tried to cancel RTH but it would not let me .Eventually it let me and I landed . Very worried about flying her again as this is the 3rd time I have had issues .I think it is the built in tablet and the App .

2016-12-30
Use props
f3honda4me
lvl.1
United States

So were you over houses or over your own land?  Also I think the power warning you got was for a power issue in the phantom. Not a power plant below you.  Also it can be windy where the drone is 400 feet up 2500 feet away while calm on the ground.   Can you upload your text flight log and drone flight dat file to google drive or Dropbox so we can look and tell you what happened?
2016-12-30
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

f3honda4me Posted at 2016-12-30 17:12
So were you over houses or over your own land?  Also I think the power warning you got was for a power issue in the phantom. Not a power plant below you.  Also it can be windy where the drone is 400 feet up 2500 feet away while calm on the ground.   Can you upload your text flight log and drone flight dat file to google drive or Dropbox so we can look and tell you what happened?

The whole message from my flight log GEO you are approaching a warning zone[power plant].Fly with caution . As I kept flying I was off my land and had to go over houses to the next clear area .I was at 400 feet . When I got her back she was nowhere near where I thought and was higher . I have flown for 3 years and have P2v+,p4  I1 and p4 pro .I kind of know what I am doing .Not crashed in years .I am not sure how to do this but I am sending her back for a refund .I paid with Amex .I can never fly again with confidence on the p4+ .This could have turned out very bad for the drone and wherever it crashed .I have 2 fly aways before but nothing like this .A drone in the air and no controles working and I mean nothing.   
2016-12-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The way to find out what happened is to look at actual flight data.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

2016-12-30
Use props
f3honda4me
lvl.1
United States

perryb Posted at 2016-12-30 17:29
The whole message from my flight log GEO you are approaching a warning zone.Fly with caution . As I kept flying I was off my land and had to go over houses to the next clear area .I was at 400 feet . When I got her back she was nowhere near where I thought and was higher . I have flown for 3 years and have P2v+,p4  I1 and p4+ .I kind of know what I am doing .Not crashed in years .I am not sure how to do this but I am sending her back for a refund .I paid with Amex .I can never fly again with confidence on the p4+ .This could have turned out very bad for the drone and wherever it crashed .I have 2 fly aways before but nothing like this .A drone in the air and no controles working and I mean nothing.

The p4p is better than any previous drone. I think you should try to find out what happened before you just write them off.
2016-12-30
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-12-30 17:39
The way to find out what happened is to look at actual flight data.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Thank you I will try and do that .You have a lot of experience,have you ever had a total freeze with the App and screen .She may have still responding but I lost sight of her .I learnt a lesson ,keep her in sight at all times .

2016-12-30
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

perryb Posted at 2016-12-30 18:07
Thank you I will try and do that .You have a lot of experience,have you ever had a total freeze with the App and screen .She may have still responding but I lost sight of her .I learnt a lesson ,keep her in sight at all times .

A lot of people with new P4P and P4P+ are having weird glitches like this. Might be the firmware but might be something onboard failing. I know several people have downgraded the firmware with good results. After downgrading they did not have any weird issues. Good luck.
2016-12-30
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Svt04cobra Posted at 2016-12-30 20:20
A lot of people with new P4P and P4P+ are having weird glitches like this. Might be the firmware but might be something onboard failing. I know several people have downgraded the firmware with good results. After downgrading they did not have any weird issues. Good luck.

Something is wrong but I am not been negative here .I am a huge DJI fan This situation was dangerous and serious  .I could not fly .All I knew was that she was in the air with no control .I am so happy the reboot worked and so did the RTH .If that had happened to me 3 years ago ,I am not sure how it would have turned out . I know for sure I would not have a drone . I am saying I should have followed the FAA rule and had her insight.That is not the way the industry is going ,hence she has a 4 mile range ?
2016-12-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

perryb Posted at 2016-12-30 21:57
Something is wrong but I am not been negative here .I am a huge DJI fan This situation was dangerous and serious  .I could not fly .All I knew was that she was in the air with no control .I am so happy the reboot worked and so did the RTH .If that had happened to me 3 years ago ,I am not sure how it would have turned out . I know for sure I would not have a drone . I am saying I should have followed the FAA rule and had her insight.That is not the way the industry is going ,hence she has a 4 mile range ?

So what were the issues you had?
We've got a rather confused account that doesn't tell us anything definite and nothing to use to explain.
For all we know you had the app lock up on your tablet and  were a bit disoriented.
You take your hands off and the Phantom sits still.
It loses signal and it comes home.
Your RTH worked perfectly - what's the issue?
Data or we'll never know.
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello perryb, did you capture a screenshot of the warning message?
Please upload your flight data to dropbox and send me the link.
You can use the same method as for the Phantom 4.
Here is a video tutorial for reference:

I'll help to pass your data file to our engineers for review.

2016-12-30
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is the new DJI Tablet?
2016-12-31
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2016-12-31 06:26
This is the new DJI Tablet?

Yes this is the new DJI tablet .I am going to get the data and post .Hopefully today .
2016-12-31
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

perryb Posted at 2016-12-31 07:20
Yes this is the new DJI tablet .I am going to get the data and post .Hopefully today .

Let's see what they say happened. Other than this incident how does the tablet perform and how is the display in sunlight?
2017-1-1
Use props
Rob8888
lvl.2
New Zealand

Had a similar issue 10mins ago. My heart is still racing.

Was flying in moderate wind over our house in suburb. Suddenly the P4P lost its position and started drifting in the wind very quickly away. Lost sight of it over roof and couldn't get it to come upwind. All houses start looking the same in the camera and I didn't have my map linked to the internet. I had limited legal altitude because it's in an ATC area and it was a shielded flight so couldn't just fly high- it was out of sight range anyway by now. Pressed RTH and prayed. A few minutes later we heard it well above and brought it down. Had fully expected to loose it.

Had calibrated compasss prior and home point.

A bit worried about this unexpected behaviour. It's on latest firmware. Not impressed.

Rob
2017-1-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

perryb Posted at 2016-12-30 21:57

I may be quite wrong, but it seems like you might have approached a No Fly Zone around a nuclear power plant. This would perhaps explain the lack of control. If you try to fly into a NFZ, the aircraft will stop at the NFZ boundary and not fly into it.
2017-1-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Rob8888 Posted at 2017-1-1 17:45
Had a similar issue 10mins ago. My heart is still racing.

Was flying in moderate wind over our house in suburb. Suddenly the P4P lost its position and started drifting in the wind very quickly away. Lost sight of it over roof and couldn't get it to come upwind. All houses start looking the same in the camera and I didn't have my map linked to the internet. I had limited legal altitude because it's in an ATC area and it was a shielded flight so couldn't just fly high- it was out of sight range anyway by now. Pressed RTH and prayed. A few minutes later we heard it well above and brought it down. Had fully expected to loose it.

The flight record will probably provide an explanation for your incident.
I'd be a little concerned that you calibrated the compass before the flight - this is not necessary and the manual specifically says not to do it unless prompted bt the app.

Anyway go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

2017-1-1
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-1 18:31
The flight record will probably provide an explanation for your incident.
I'd be a little concerned that you calibrated the compass before the flight - this is not necessary and the manual specifically says not to do it unless prompted bt the app.

Sent everything to DJI but can not decode the .dat file to see for myself . I asked DJI for an RA credit .I think I will get the I2 .It seems a lot of people on this board are having problems with the new P4P .I do not think it is safe to fly .Do you have a .dat convertor that you use ,as I would love to see this flight and post .
2017-1-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

perryb Posted at 2017-1-1 18:36
Sent everything to DJI but can not decode the .dat file to see for myself . I asked DJI for an RA credit .I think I will get the I2 .It seems a lot of people on this board are having problems with the new P4P .I do not think it is safe to fly .Do you have a .dat convertor that you use ,as I would love to see this flight and post .

The Phantomhelp site decodes the flight data for you, that's why it is suggested you upload the data to their site.
2017-1-1
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2017-1-1 06:52
Let's see what they say happened. Other than this incident how does the tablet perform and how is the display in sunlight?

The display is amazing in the sun .The tablet has frozen 3 times in flight ,on 2 of those it was only for 30 seconds the 3rd is my last post .Maps is a huge problem does not refresh .I can not scale them .As you fly it is fuzzy then clears a bit and back to fuzzy .You have to open it up with your fingers to see any detail .Flight path is good .It is also not very sensitive to tap .Very disappointed ,my ipad is so much better except for seeing in the sun .
2017-1-1
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-30 22:37
Hello perryb, did you capture a screenshot of the warning message?
Please upload your flight data to dropbox and send me the link.You can use the same method as for the Phantom 4.
Here is a video tutorial for reference:

Sent everything into DJI today and have asked for a store credit against a I2.I have only had the drone for a few days .Very disappointed .
2017-1-1
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

perryb Posted at 2017-1-1 18:46
Sent everything into DJI today and have asked for a store credit against a I2.I have only had the drone for a few days .Very disappointed .

Sorry should have said uploaded the flight data to DJI.
2017-1-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

perryb Posted at 2017-1-1 18:36

As been said already, you won't learn much from DJI anyway but you could get agood explanation if you upload your flight data to Phantomhelp.com.

You'll never know if it's safe to fly if you don't find out what caused the incident.

And if you get put off by a few people on a forum having problems you'll never get any kind of drone.
Some users complaining or having a problem doesn't necessarily indicate the problem is the drone.
What you don't see is how many users are having no problems and what fraction of users the complaints represent.
2017-1-1
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-1 18:52
As been said already, you won't learn much from DJI anyway but you could get agood explanation if you upload your flight data to Phantomhelp.com.

You'll never know if it's safe to fly if you don't find out what caused the incident.

I see what you are saying .I am not anti DJI and have bought 5 drones from them .I have flown for 3 years many hours,never a serious problem . I do not like the situation that I have a drone in the air,flying in an area that could cause a major problem .When I got control of the drone it was over my town .I did not put it there ,but there it was .I looked down with the camera and wtf .If the drone ran out of power and crashed into a car or person ,I would be devastated for hurting someone .I have never felt so helpless but after a few attempts the RTH worked .Why would I ever want to risk that again ? I am not sure you realise how helpless you feel when your drone is in the air and you have no control .That is why she is going back .
2017-1-1
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

perryb Posted at 2017-1-1 22:11
I see what you are saying .I am not anti DJI and have bought 5 drones from them .I have flown for 3 years many hours,never a serious problem . I do not like the situation that I have a drone in the air,flying in an area that could cause a major problem .When I got control of the drone it was over my town .I did not put it there ,but there it was .I looked down with the camera and wtf .If the drone ran out of power and crashed into a car or person ,I would be devastated for hurting someone .I have never felt so helpless but after a few attempts the RTH worked .Why would I ever want to risk that again ? I am not sure you realise how helpless you feel when your drone is in the air and you have no control .That is why she is going back .

Also I uploaded everything to DJI but could not see the files myself.Need a .dat convertor .
2017-1-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

perryb Posted at 2017-1-1 22:13
Also I uploaded everything to DJI but could not see the files myself.Need a .dat convertor .

You don't need a .dat converter.
The .txt file the app saves would show all you need.
It seems you aren't interested in finding out.
Well whatever the cause was it will remain a mystery.
2017-1-1
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

perryb Posted at 2017-1-1 18:45
The display is amazing in the sun .The tablet has frozen 3 times in flight ,on 2 of those it was only for 30 seconds the 3rd is my last post .Maps is a huge problem does not refresh .I can not scale them .As you fly it is fuzzy then clears a bit and back to fuzzy .You have to open it up with your fingers to see any detail .Flight path is good .It is also not very sensitive to tap .Very disappointed ,my ipad is so much better except for seeing in the sun .

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll stay with my iPad mini 4. I use the DJI Hood for mine. It works out well. I also have the Cellular on mine as well.
2017-1-2
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-1 23:02
You don't need a .dat converter.
The .txt file the app saves would show all you need.
It seems you aren't interested in finding out.

No I do want to know but have been unable to open the files . It keeps saying it can not open .dat file .I will try again today but got very frustrated yesterday .
2017-1-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

perryb Posted at 2017-1-2 08:10
No I do want to know but have been unable to open the files . It keeps saying it can not open .dat file .I will try again today but got very frustrated yesterday .

Forget the .dat file.
try this: http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... ller-solved.100622/
2017-1-2
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

perryb Posted at 2017-1-1 22:13

Hi, do you have a link where to send the dat files to DJI I tried using their support page, via email, I can fill it all in but when I click send nothing happens?

I had same problem as you, not good
2017-1-2
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2017-1-2 14:04
Hi, do you have a link where to send the dat files to DJI I tried using their support page, via email, I can fill it all in but when I click send nothing happens?

When I did the download there was a button that said report .I used that .It opened up a link .I sent it but was not convinced it all went through .There was another option that required a 2 hour upload .I did both . Sorry you had the same problem ,I was so scared I would hurt someone . DJI have acknowledged my emails but not my uploads . No one should fly until there is a fix .I have asked for an RA but have not heard back .I do believe in DJI and will buy the I2  .They just got the P4P wrong and s... happens .
2017-1-2
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-2 13:59
Forget the .dat file.
try this: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-do-you-get-the-log-files-out-of-the-p4p-controller-solved.100622/

Thanks I will try .It has been so frustrating trying to see the data . I have work to do in my real life but dealing with something that should be easy to see is crazy . I can see my log but nothing else .
2017-1-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2017-1-2 14:04

To send files to DJI, select the flight record on your app and click on the cloud icon to synch the file.
When that's done, contact their online chat support people and tell them the story and they will have access to the file at their end.
2017-1-2
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I think this is amusing .I am trying to return my P4P and have sent them my log info.I am also within my 7 day return window .Support has not got back to me but online sales did but passed it back to support .I have been trying to call them as well as email .The message I am getting is, due to techincal "difficulties" phones service is down and they hope to fix it soon . Wow that gives me a lot of faith ,they can not even run a tech support centre .I am calling the LA # This my last email below and there recpit  .If I got it from Apple this would be a non issue .Just saying .

Jan 4, 08:25 HKT

I have not heard back from you ??? I need to know where to return my drone too .As I said before I am not asking for a cash refund ,just a credit to an I2 . If I do not hear back tomorrow I will dispute the charge with Amex and ask them to do a chargeback.If that happens I would no longer be wanting to deal with DJI for my new drone .Best,Perry.

This email is a service from DJI. Delivered by Zendesk<https://www.zendesk.com/product/tour/?utm_campaign=text&utm_content=DJI&utm_medium=poweredbyzendesk&utm_source=email-notification>
[NE8YX8-OWD9]

2017-1-3
Use props
RoadmasterD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188527 ft
United States

Oh the drama!  After reading all of the posts in this thread I just want to know what the gosh darn flight logs say.  Please
2017-1-3
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RoadmasterD Posted at 2017-1-3 16:42
Oh the drama!  After reading all of the posts in this thread I just want to know what the gosh darn flight logs say.  Please

I can not open it ,i can read the basic log and have posted what it said . I can not open the DJI assistant info but was able to send it to them .Sorry if you think it is a drama but there is a serious problem with the p4p and I do not want people to have to go through what a lot of us have experienced. My problems have been mirrored by  other board members .
2017-1-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RoadmasterD Posted at 2017-1-3 16:42

Looks like we'll never find out until OP posts flight logs on Phantom Help
2017-1-3
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-3 17:02
Several folks have told you how to upload the logs to non dji servers so they can analyze them and maybe help you find the cause.

2017-1-3
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Several folks have told you how to upload the logs to non dji servers so they can analyze them and maybe help you find the cause.

Yes they have and I tried .Just downloaded again and tried to upload to 2 sites .No go .I am only getting a .dat file .No .text ..Time for a glass of wine back at it tomorrow .The file is sitting on my desktop ,not getting this .
2017-1-3
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yes they have and I tried .Just downloaded again and tried to upload to 2 sites .No go .I am only getting a .dat file .No .text ..Time for a glass of wine back at it tomorrow .The file is sitting on my desktop ,not getting this .
2017-1-3
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

In your device (tablet?) you need to go to the DJI folder . Open the DJI folder . Open the dji.pilot folder & open the FlightRecord folder . Inside the flight record folder you will see all the flight records.
Go to the Phantom Help site and upload the DJIFlightRecord XXXXX.txt file for that flight.

2017-1-3
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules