Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Just got my Mavic, but Reading this Forum is Terrifying
12Next >
3299 44 2016-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Adversecamber
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi there

Just oopened the box on my Mavic.  I decided to have a look through this forum before I started and have found a lot of very concerning threads highlighting a range of issues.

I therefore thought it would be worth asking for advice on exactly what I should do and in what order.  The small manual basically says I can just charge it up and fly.

Any advice that can help me aviod a stupid or common mistake would be gratefully recieved.  The batteries are in the charger and I am waiting for the next step.
2016-12-31
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.4

Canada

You have to keep in mind that these forums are essentially a place for people to complain and get answers to their questions. People don't come here to tell you how awesome their drone experience has been, there's youtube lifestyle bloggers for that. That said, there are some concerns right now and many people have advised to stay away from using automated flight options like "auto take off" "auto land" or any of the intelligent flight modes until a good six months of firmware updates. Fly that machine and be careful, that's the best advice I have.
2016-12-31
Use props
Airobotix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Read the manual, then read it again. When you've done that, watch ALL the excellent instructional videos DJI have made. When you've finished....go fly and have a great time!
2016-12-31
Use props
pashadowops
New

United States

If you've never flown before, like me, it can be a little intimidating. I watched many videos, and read countless blogs and articles about flying drones before I received my Mavic. My first flight was tense. So much so I left the gimble cover on to protect the camera. The one piece of advice I can offer is to make sure your first flight is in an area without obstacles. I mean really wide open. Start with simple maneuvers, up, down, left, right, etc. Do these at a relatively low altitude until you are comfortable then, expand from there. It's not a race. You have purchased an expensive piece of equipment and have to take care not to destroy it. Enjoy the journey to flying and have fun. Oh, and don't forget to smile while flying your Mavic cause you just may catch yourself on video and tense frowns are no fun!
2016-12-31
Use props
Adversecamber
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for the encouragement - it's at least nice to know that not everyone is having problems and fingers crossed I won't as I don't fancy spending countless hours in problem solving mode.  I have been watching quite a few of the YouTube videos whilst waiting for delivery.  This is my first drone so, other than a few minutes on a friend's phantom, I have no real experience.  

Should I update all the firmware before I start?
2016-12-31
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

Here is a "checklist" that's a summary of a lot of wise persons contributions so far.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-71599-1-1.html
Beginner mode is recommended if you never have flown before.

Good luck and enjoy.

2016-12-31
Use props
Anthony566
First Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Yes do the updates and go here for the latest large document version of the Mavic user guide

http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads
2016-12-31
Use props
pashadowops
New

United States

Adversecamber Posted at 2016-12-31 08:03
Thanks everyone for the encouragement - it's at least nice to know that not everyone is having problems and fingers crossed I won't as I don't fancy spending countless hours in problem solving mode.  I have been watching quite a few of the YouTube videos whilst waiting for delivery.  This is my first drone so, other than a few minutes on a friend's phantom, I have no real experience.  

Should I update all the firmware before I start?

I did before my first flight because I didn't want to see any red on my DjiGo app . I believe there have been a few more firmware releases since my first flight. I will do those before I go up again. Wishing the weather would clear up. I wanna fly.
2016-12-31
Use props
pashadowops
New

United States

Flybee Posted at 2016-12-31 08:04
Here is a "checklist" that's a summary of a lot of wise persons contributions so far.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-71599-1-1.html

Flybee, Thanks for that most comprehensive list. Holy cow I left out alot. FAA UAV registration, is that required? Where would I find that information. I probably glazed over it in the documentation huh?
2016-12-31
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Germany

pashadowops Posted at 2016-12-31 08:26
Flybee, Thanks for that most comprehensive list. Holy cow I left out alot. FAA UAV registration, is that required? Where would I find that information. I probably glazed over it in the documentation huh?

You are welcome but i'm not the one that should have credits for that one, there is so many friendly and nice people here, just sent you the link.

About the FAA UAV registration I would recommend a google session since this is US regulations and I don't have a clue actually. Search in this forum also, perhaps you will find it here.

Yes there is a lot of things needed and that is most likely why this thread is started cause there is so many persons that just "fire it up" and don't read enough and then accidents happens.

Open spaces, beginner mode in the first flights then all will be fine in the end.

Good luck and have fun.
2016-12-31
Use props
lignow
Second Officer
Canada

Go slow, low and close at first. It can fly like a dragon fly but it WILL cost you.
Think of it as a highly advanced  stabilized video / still camera.
2016-12-31
Use props
USVI Flyer
lvl.1
U.S. Virgin Islands

I totally agree... reading about the problems and bad experiences scares me too
I have read, re-read, and read everything and watched almost All videos from Everybody to get the most informed I can.

This guy's YouTubes are very helpful

https://www.youtube.com/user/MMultirotors/videos
2016-12-31
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Germany

USVI Flyer Posted at 2016-12-31 09:02
I have read, re-read, and read everything and watched almost All videos from Everybody to get the most informed I can.

I have had two Phantom 3 4K and one advanced returned them all since I thought they had "issues" with GPS Errors and did't give me the "fun" feeling when flying. I had the chance to fly a lot in ATTI mode which is a mode you can manually chose on the phantom series. Ie. fly manually.

I'm waiting for my Mavic now and are "scared" also when I read all bad things. But i'm also sure that if I maintain the calmness which I did when flying the Phantom's all will be fine.  I think many of us will have some kind of incident at some time and the better we have prepared and know what is supposed to happen I think all will be fine.

This people that fly this distance flights out over the open sea for 1000 of ft's the first time are somewhat domed to have a mishap not that I want it to happen but the risks of failure increase I would say.

Follow that checklist provided and be calm and fly on an open field or something the first times all will be good.

2016-12-31
Use props
Gmman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

This guy is one of my favorite how to guys on youtube for the Mavic.

https://www.youtube.com/user/michaelskincaid/videos
2016-12-31
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

USVI Flyer Posted at 2016-12-31 09:02

Then you're ready.  I did the same as you...  Also terrified after reading here, but a lot of issues on this forum are from improper usage/procedure.

I have a Mavic and a Phantom 4 Pro+.  You're ready.   
2016-12-31
Use props
fans04957192
lvl.1

Ireland

MY ADVICE IS KEEP CLEAR OF BEGINNER MODE, I COMPLETED FIRMWARE UPGRADE AND MY MAVIC FELL FROM THE SKY. RANGE OF ERRORS WITH MINE, IMU AND BAROMETER ERRORS AFTER COMPLETING ALL POSSIBLE OPTIONS AVAILABLE. SPENT OVER AN HOUR ON ONLINE HELPDESK AND OVER 23 MESSAGES LATER, FINALLY GETTING A REPLACEMENT(HOPEFULLY). FLY WITH CAUTION AND LOOK OUT FOR ERRORS ON HANDSET. THE WAY I LOOK AT IT, DO WE HAVE TO COMPLETE ALL THESE UPGRADES ETC WITH IPHONES, IPADS ,TVs ETC- NO. tHESE UNITS SHOULD BE RELATIVELY HASSLE FREE BUT UNFORTUNATELY THEY ARE GIVING PROBLEMS.
2016-12-31
Use props
pashadowops
New

United States

fans04957192 Posted at 2016-12-31 09:33
MY ADVICE IS KEEP CLEAR OF BEGINNER MODE, I COMPLETED FIRMWARE UPGRADE AND MY MAVIC FELL FROM THE SKY. RANGE OF ERRORS WITH MINE, IMU AND BAROMETER ERRORS AFTER COMPLETING ALL POSSIBLE OPTIONS AVAILABLE. SPENT OVER AN HOUR ON ONLINE HELPDESK AND OVER 23 MESSAGES LATER, FINALLY GETTING A REPLACEMENT(HOPEFULLY). FLY WITH CAUTION AND LOOK OUT FOR ERRORS ON HANDSET. THE WAY I LOOK AT IT, DO WE HAVE TO COMPLETE ALL THESE UPGRADES ETC WITH IPHONES, IPADS ,TVs ETC- NO. tHESE UNITS SHOULD BE RELATIVELY HASSLE FREE BUT UNFORTUNATELY THEY ARE GIVING PROBLEMS.

No Need to shout
2016-12-31
Use props
Adversecamber
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks again everyone for the replies.  Decided to spend a bit more time reading/watching before I take to the air.  Some really useful links here, so thanks for that.  I do have the DJI refresh package, so as long as I don't lose it totally, I can get a replacement if disaster strikes.

I will look more into the beginner mode option - Can I assume from your comment fans04957192 that this mode was connected to your mavic falling from the sky?
2016-12-31
Use props
pashadowops
New

United States

Adversecamber Posted at 2016-12-31 09:52
Thanks again everyone for the replies.  Decided to spend a bit more time reading/watching before I take to the air.  Some really useful links here, so thanks for that.  I do have the DJI refresh package, so as long as I don't lose it totally, I can get a replacement if disaster strikes.

I will look more into the beginner mode option - Can I assume from your comment fans04957192 that this mode was connected to your mavic falling from the sky?

I used beginner mode. Here's my maiden flight if you haven't seen it yet. Kinda boring and rudimentary but it was fun. You will also see why I said to smile while flying. Enjoy.

2016-12-31
Use props
Rick A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3566 ft
Canada

Go out, find a nice open space, light winds good weather. Start up the Mavic, the controller, the App.... wait, let everything connect. Check to see if the compass needs calibrating, probably does, calibrate it. Set the Mavic down, lift off and start getting to know each other! Fly as much as you can, develop skills, try different shots with the camera. When recharging, check out more videos and see what you can learn, then apply it. The Mavic is an amazing drone, very sophisticated, and very forgiving. No doubt you will be amazed with it.
2016-12-31
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

I was nervous before my first flight too. I had a bit of experiences with toy drones. My recommendations:

Start in a wide, open area.

Turn on the drone, set your phone to flight mode to avoid interference and wait until the drone has good GPS signals.

Configure Return To Home so that the drone returns high enough.

Then use the phone to automatically lift off. Increase altitude to make sure there are no obstacles around. Learn to fly a bit and fly away from the start point, then push the RTH button and land the drone by holding the altitude-stick down.

That should take all fears away. One more button you should know: the controller's pause button. It will stop the drone immediately.
2016-12-31
Use props
MacIak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

Adversecamber Posted at 2016-12-31 09:52

1st time droner here too. Don't worry too much and don't be scared flying it. Just read a bit more to understand the limitations it has . Make sure the firmware is up to date on aircraft/rc, batteries and app. And then just fly it. It's just too much fun not to.
2016-12-31
Use props
thebmallory
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50466 ft
France

I have the mavic since mid November and didn't have a single issue other than that friggin' app crashing all the time (but maintaining RC control, and in that case I usually hit RTH).
My main advice would be like others said to do your first flight in anopen area (hopefully with some grass as it will help in case of a crash).

I have built many other quads. the mavic is my first pre-built drone and I have to say that once you get it in the air, the thing is pretty much idiot proof compared to diy drones.
Just take your time and wait for GPS lock before take off
2016-12-31
Use props
Adversecamber
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks everyone - lots of good advice on here.  I am busy reading and watching everything I can find.

Your help is much appreciated.
2016-12-31
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Adversecamber Posted at 2016-12-31 12:54
Thanks everyone - lots of good advice on here.  I am busy reading and watching everything I can find.

Your help is much appreciated.

I feel that sometimes there is too much focus on 'calibrating' can't help thinking this causes more problems than it fixes.

When I got my Mavic, I charged the batteries, took it outside and waited till it connected, found enough GPS satellites and then flew it in beginner mode. Didn't calibrate anything as it never asked. I rose up off the ground 4' and hovered in place. I moved it out over the lawn, slowly rotated it through 360 degrees, no compass errors, or complaints from the aircraft. took it up to 100' flew out of the confines of my garden and executed a RTH. it returned and landed exactly where it set off from.

I calibrated the compass out in the middle of a field just because it is the only thing the manual recommends, if the aircraft has moved a few hundred miles, they recommend it.

It really is that simple, just take your time, make sure for your first flights that the take off is it is facing the same way as you, then left and rights don't get mixed up!

Have fun!
2016-12-31
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 2016-12-31 13:04
I feel that sometimes there is too much focus on 'calibrating' can't help thinking this causes more problems than it fixes.

When I got my Mavic, I charged the batteries, took it outside and waited till it connected, found enough GPS satellites and then flew it in beginner mode. Didn't calibrate anything as it never asked. I rose up off the ground 4' and hovered in place. I moved it out over the lawn, slowly rotated it through 360 degrees, no compass errors, or complaints from the aircraft. took it up to 100' flew out of the confines of my garden and executed a RTH. it returned and landed exactly where it set off from.

^^^^  YEP  ^^^^

Just the compass for me.  I certainly checked all the other values, including the R/C calibration screen whilst moving the sticks/flicking.
2016-12-31
Use props
Adversecamber
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Well unfortunately my fears have come to fruition and I have hit problems right from the start.  After several hours of trying, I cannot get my mavic to connect to the controller or phone.  The RC has connected to the phone and to my computer and I have been able to update the firmware on that, but the mavic will not connect.  The wifi  switch is definitely on. I have followed carefully the procedures in both of the videos linked above. I have the latest version of the app.  I have several times grabbed the QR code, but that has not helped to get any connection.  The mavic simply flashes fast yelloe (lost signal to controller).

What am I doing wrong?
2017-1-1
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Spain

I did not try it myself, but will the controller connect to the drone in wifi-mode? The default setup is, that the drone is connected to the controller and the phone is connected to the controller via cable. In this setup, the drone is not in wi-fi mode.
2017-1-1
Use props
Adversecamber
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Dronoob Posted at 2017-1-1 07:17
I did not try it myself, but will the controller connect to the drone in wifi-mode? The default setup is, that the drone is connected to the controller and the phone is connected to the controller via cable. In this setup, the drone is not in wi-fi mode.

I Have not tried it in direct (non phone) mode as none of the tutorials/ videos give this as an option.  I may try it.
2017-1-1
Use props
Cwood
lvl.3
Flight distance : 97638 ft
Canada

you don't want wifi switch on if you are using the controller!  That is for a direct connect via only wifi with a phone and no controller.

FWIW, first drone for me, flew it out of the box, up to 50 flights and have never seen a glitch or hiccup and have over 50 flights.
2017-1-1
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.4

United States

Adversecamber Posted at 2017-1-1 06:59
Well unfortunately my fears have come to fruition and I have hit problems right from the start.  After several hours of trying, I cannot get my mavic to connect to the controller or phone.  The RC has connected to the phone and to my computer and I have been able to update the firmware on that, but the mavic will not connect.  The wifi  switch is definitely on. I have followed carefully the procedures in both of the videos linked above. I have the latest version of the app.  I have several times grabbed the QR code, but that has not helped to get any connection.  The mavic simply flashes fast yelloe (lost signal to controller).

What am I doing wrong?

Why is the wifi switch on? The wifi should only be turned on when you aren't using the controller.
2017-1-1
Use props
Adversecamber
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Guys

Quick update.  As many of you pointed out, I had the wifi switch on when I should not have.  Prior to this I had managed (on the 4th attempt) to get the firmware updated via the pc app.  I then switched off the wifi and it has connected.

My faith is restored.  Too dark to fly now, so I am practicing on the simulator and hoping for good weather tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyone who spotted I was being a dunce!
2017-1-1
Use props
boostedford
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

I feel like we're nothing but beta testers. I dont think dji tests the mavic at all. Think about it we wouldn't have all these issues and asking for fixes, they would see the issues themselves and already fix them before it was ever an issue to us.
2017-1-1
Use props
BuzzCut
Second Officer

United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-1-1 19:44
I feel like we're nothing but beta testers. I dont think dji tests the mavic at all. Think about it we wouldn't have all these issues and asking for fixes, they would see the issues themselves and already fix them before it was ever an issue to us.

Given the number of features on these things and the varying conditions that they'll be used in I don't think that any amount of testing can cater for every use case in the real world.  What I've found so far is that the Mavic works exactly as advertised, even though I've subjected it to a variety of conditions; including temperatures below those recommended.

This is an entirely new form factor.  I assume they test all that they reasonably can but there will be feedback from user experience that leads to improvements (e.g. Tap to focus).  To the extent that makes me feel like a beta tester I'm OK with it personally.

Now compare this with computers that don't fly, and that sit on the ground, in an office, at room temperature.  I bought two laptops in the last 24 hours.  The first had a single component that was so underspecced compared to the rest that it made the whole product a joke and I had to return it.  The second is essentially great, but the laptop manufacturer requests that you complete product registration by downloading an app.  Then, when you try to download said app the bundled antivirus software recognizes the manufacturer app as a virus and won't let you open the downloaded executable.  Now, who tested these things?  No doubt they were system tested and integration tested... Just not very well.

Than goodness my laptops don't fly.  In comparison I think my Mavic is a solid piece of kit
2017-1-1
Use props
FPVJunkie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 66421 ft
United States

Remember the "golden rule" of RC. When powering on, the sequence is: Controller - Aircraft - App. Opposite when powering down: App - Aircraft - Controller.
2017-1-1
Use props
VDR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24619 ft
Canada

35 replies and nobody has mentioned "reading the rules." You're in the US, so I'd recommend you spend some time with the FAA website — https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/ — getting to know the regulations. Understand airspace classifications and where you're located with reference to airports, hospitals and heliports. Then, find somewhere safe and go have fun. (Here in Canada things are quickly becoming quite a bit more restricted—feel lucky.)

--
"Under the blanket COA, the FAA will permit flights at or below 400 feet for UAS operators with a Section 333 exemption for aircraft weighing less than 55 pounds and for government UAS operations. Operators must fly under daytime Visual Flight Rules, keep the UAS within visual line of sight of the pilot and stay certain distances away from airports or heliports:
Five nautical miles (NM) from an airport having an operational control tower; or
Three NM from an airport with a published instrument flight procedure, but not an operational tower; or
Two NM from an airport without a published instrument flight procedure or an operational tower; or
Two NM from a heliport with a published instrument flight procedure."
2017-1-1
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Here's a video made xmas eve, show you we're all not having problems
2017-1-2
Use props
Willik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

VDR Posted at 2017-1-1 23:38
35 replies and nobody has mentioned "reading the rules." You're in the US, so I'd recommend you spend some time with the FAA website — https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/ — getting to know the regulations. Understand airspace classifications and where you're located with reference to airports, hospitals and heliports. Then, find somewhere safe and go have fun. (Here in Canada things are quickly becoming quite a bit more restricted—feel lucky.)

--

Hi, thanks for this remark and also for the link... (trying to gather as much as possible info for legal flights in EU) (I will post at my thread later)
2017-1-2
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.4

United States

I've had several problems with the Mavic. Every one of them turned out to be user error. In other words, my fault.

It's a complex machine. We make mistakes. The number of problems on this board is nowhere near what it would be if DJI hadn't done significant testing on the Mavic.
2017-1-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
United States

Yea they 'may' have tested it, but perhaps didn't record the results accurately.  These DJI drones are sketchy.  I've got 2 of their newest drones, too.  They're both not trustworthy enough to be over people or expensive things (in a controlled situation of course).

The DJI GO app is the weakest link.  EXAMPLE:  It has shown KPH no matter what setting you've got in there FOR YEARS.  Watch old YouTube videos & you'll see the speed indicated incorrectly.  It's like this on the P4P+ with built-in display too.  No matter HOW MANY TIMES it is mentioned here or emailed to DJI, it doesn't get fixed.
2017-1-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules