Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Camera help
1599 25 2017-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mfa
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

I have the camera set on Auto mode with 4K video. The videos are at times blurry or out of focus.  Sometimes during the same flight the video will focus in.  I've previously had the Phantom 3 and 4 with no issues. Any suggestions?
2017-1-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Don't have my Mavic yet but I've read that with older firmware you want to tap to focus before beginning your recording session, unlike the P3/4 models. On the latest firmware by default the camera should autofocus and then refocus when it feels the need to do so. Hope this helps some.
2017-1-1
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

I also need help with this issue.... My firmware is up to date and the Mavic is set to auto focus.

My videos appear mostly out of focus ... this is with out of the box settings and no editing.  Keep in mind i have no idea what i'm doing with photography ... possibly its something im doing wrong ?

Would be great to get some advice from a mod if possible, thanks and HNY everyone.

2017-1-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-1 15:33
I also need help with this issue.... My firmware is up to date and the Mavic is set to auto focus.

My videos appear mostly out of focus ... this is with out of the box settings and no editing.  Keep in mind i have no idea what i'm doing with photography ... possibly its something im doing wrong ?

Can you post a photo, when the view changes the camera should auto focus.
You can also test the focus, from General Settings enable Manual Focus.
Then in the live view, upper right is the AF/MF icon. Tap that and it will bring of the focus slider wheel.
2017-1-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-1 15:33

See above post.
2017-1-1
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.4
Australia

This is an auto focus image .... i've tried manual focus and it seems to focus correctly if i click on the app screen ... although i have only tested a close image.

Also on my app screen i don't seem to have the AF/MF icon possibly because i'm on an unsupported device LG G4.

So does the video i posted seem ok ken ? As in focus ... i know the exposure is probably all wrong ... i have no idea what i'm doing.
2017-1-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-1 17:09
[view_image]

This is an auto focus image .... i've tried manual focus and it seems to focus correctly if i click on the app screen ... although i have only tested a close image.

I only looked at a few seconds and yes it's over exposed (the wheel on the top right of the RC wil take care of that.
It also looks out of focus.
2017-1-1
Use props
CVRICK
lvl.1
United States

I am new to this forum. I got my first drone and I got the Mavic . I have flown it A couple times . Works great. I am not able to view the videos smoothly on my Mac desktop. I have read some things that will help . One thing is to possibly change the video setting off 4k. I cannot figure out how to do this .  Can anyone help ?  Thanks
2017-1-1
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-1 17:17
I only looked at a few seconds and yes it's over exposed (the wheel on the top right of the RC wil take care of that.
It also looks out of focus.

Ok thanks ken ... what do you think i should do ? when moving the mavic ... you can see it trying to focus but it seems to take a few seconds and still seems not perfectly in focus.

I'll take it for a flight today and test manually focused footage to auto focus and compare the 2.
2017-1-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-1 17:25
Ok thanks ken ... what do you think i should do ? when moving the mavic ... you can see it trying to focus but it seems to take a few seconds and still seems not perfectly in focus.

I'll take it for a flight today and test manually focused footage to auto focus and compare the 2.

Your lens is clean right?
The piciure should be crisp and clear.
2017-1-1
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-1 17:32
Your lens is clean right?
The piciure should be crisp and clear.

Yes the lens is clean .... Ill test it again today ... If i have the same issue ill contact support. Thanks
2017-1-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-2 11:27
Yes the lens is clean .... Ill test it again today ... If i have the same issue ill contact support. Thanks

OK, thanks. hopefully it's just a dirty lens and not a camera issue.
Let me know.
2017-1-2
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-2 11:48
OK, thanks. hopefully it's just a dirty lens and not a camera issue.
Let me know.

Hi ken i took some footage yesterday again. (cleaned the lens also)

Auto Focus

Manual Focus (over exposed .. but fixes after 10 odd secs)

So to my untrained eye the focus looks ok in manual focus mode and poor in autofocus mode ?

In my mind it doesn't really add up if the camera can focus ok in manual mode then surely it would work ok in autofocus mode... could this be a software issue ?

Thanks again for your help ken .... any suggestions ? could it have anything to do with the phone im using ? although i doubt it .
2017-1-3
Use props
BrutusJV
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry to jump on this thread, but I have a similar issue with my Mavic, from today, where I just cannot get the camera to focus every time accurately.

Two examples, the first is a video from a flight today, the focus kept coming and going, and spent most of the flight out of focus. Best example is 8s into this video.

The second example is i tried to focus on me (not manual, just AF), but again without success (using the AF box on screen)

I spent a long time with tech support chat resetting camera settings, refreshing firmware, but without much luck at the moment. I have only since tested the camera inside, not outside however. Any advice appreciated.

2017-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-3 12:46
Hi ken i took some footage yesterday again. (cleaned the lens also)

Auto Focus

The auto focus does not look focused.
And the manual looks good but over exposed. You said that it cleared up in 10 seconds, that's not right.
If you don't have the exposure lock enabled then when you go from light to dark scenes it should instantly adjust the exposure.
You can test this by holding the Mavic in your hand. In the top right of the screen you see AE and a padlock next to it. If you tap that then it turns blue and that lock the exposure.
With it white (auto exposure) hold the Mavic and point it towards a window (in daylight) and the exposure instantly adjusts for the outside light.
Then face it back inside and you will see it instantly get darker. That's how it should work.

Connect the Mavic to the Assistant2 and do a factory restore and see if the camera clears up. If not then try refreshing or downgrading the firmware.
If none of those help, then you may have to send it in for evaluation.
2017-1-3
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-3 13:19
The auto focus does not look focused.
And the manual looks good but over exposed. You said that it cleared up in 10 seconds, that's not right.
If you don't have the exposure lock enabled then when you go from light to dark scenes it should instantly adjust the exposure.

ok thanks ken .. ill reset and refresh.
2017-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-3 14:02
ok thanks ken .. ill reset and refresh.

Sounds good, let me know.
Hopefully that will work.
2017-1-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

BrutusJV Posted at 2017-1-3 13:12
Sorry to jump on this thread, but I have a similar issue with my Mavic, from today, where I just cannot get the camera to focus every time accurately.

Two examples, the first is a video from a flight today, the focus kept coming and going, and spent most of the flight out of focus. Best example is 8s into this video.

I'm sorry about that, if all the troubleshooting steps have not resolved it then I think you need to send it in for evaluation.
2017-1-3
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-3 14:06
Sounds good, let me know.
Hopefully that will work.

So i did a factory reset on my Mavic and refreshed the firmware .....And now ..... It works perfectly autofocus works great

Thanks for your help ken ... I'm so happy with my Mavic ... every time i use it i am absolutely blown away by the technology.... the camera is amazing .. now i just have to learn how to use this amazing piece of equipment to take some awesome footage.

2017-1-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-1-4 23:25
So i did a factory reset on my Mavic and refreshed the firmware .....And now ..... It works perfectly  autofocus works great  

Thanks for your help ken ... I'm so happy with my Mavic ... every time i use it i am absolutely blown away by the technology.... the camera is amazing .. now i just have to learn how to use this amazing piece of equipment to take some awesome footage.

That's great news, I'm glad that resolved it and you didn't have to send it in.
Fly safe and enjoy
2017-1-5
Use props
BrutusJV
United Kingdom

Hi Ken,

I have more information on this now, I want to see if you think this is a problem with my unit, or a software issue. Please see video below, and note the following items:
8s in, camera loses focus.
16s in camera tries to refocus.
33s in, I click on the AF to try and focus the camera. I try a few locations, none work.
55s in, i tilt the camera to ground, click to focus (no good.
1min12s in, i long press ( which is configured to focus), now I get focus back.
Focus remains ok for the remainder of the flight.

So is this a drone issue for me, or more general software issue?

For those that don't know, you can configure what a long press on the screen does, either to move the camera, or focus (I changed it to focus).

2017-1-5
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.4
Australia

Is it set to autofocus or manual focus ? I had an issue with auto focus but a factory reset followed by a firmware refresh resolved my problem .. maybe this could help?

Here's some test footage after reset and refresh

2017-1-5
Use props
BrutusJV
United Kingdom

Thanks for that, glad yours is working perfectly, the footage looks great. I am on auto focus, mainly because that was what I expect is required to deal with all situations. Did you have the same issues as shown in my video previously? I completed an IMU, Gimball, Camera rest, and a firmware refresh, and mostly I can get good footage, for example yesterday was fine, however then again I have days like today.
2017-1-5
Use props
BrutusJV
United Kingdom

DJI Ken, I would appreciate your thoughts on the video above  and have found more out since then.

The problem looks to be time (potentially temperature) related in my case. Following a firmware refresh I then just left the camera on, pointed at objects ~5m away inside. I left the camera on for 10min, then noticed that the auto focus was going by itself every ~4s. I changed the exposure to 0.7 (from 1.3), and the focus stopped working.

I then turned off the unit, and waited 10min, restarted, and the focus was back for a short period.

I repeated the process again once more, and the same response. No need to fly the unit, the problem can be repeated on the ground.
2017-1-6
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.4
Australia

BrutusJV Posted at 2017-1-5 11:35
Thanks for that, glad yours is working perfectly, the footage looks great. I am on auto focus, mainly because that was what I expect is required to deal with all situations. Did you have the same issues as shown in my video previously? I completed an IMU, Gimball, Camera rest, and a firmware refresh, and mostly I can get good footage, for example yesterday was fine, however then again I have days like today.

Yea i thought i had fixed mine but ... flying yesterday i have the same issue ... autofocus just does not work  for me  I'll keep testing and hopefully i can sort out a procedure to get AF working for me ... possibly a firmware update might fix my issue.
I think your issue is different to mine .... my mavic doesnt even try to focus when AF isnt working. Its strange as when it had worked ... it worked perfectly.
2017-1-7
Use props
DJI相机部大帅哥
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

1. switch focus mode to MF will disable auto focus, so auto focus won't  happen any more.2. in AF mode, focus will be trigger when following happen:    1> tap app screen, no matter drone is moving or not;     2> drone is static and scene changes, just like phone do;so you can tap to focus on the area you interested to make live view clear before recording start, and if you don't want auto focus when recording , switch to MF.
2017-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules