Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compass Error
5926 19 2017-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dhillskiier1653
lvl.2
Flight distance : 391818 ft
United States

After a few minutes of flight, I get a compass error even though there are no metal objects near the drone. I calibrate everything and still get the error followed with gps in and out.
2017-1-1
Use props
RMAC
New
Flight distance : 25325 ft
United States

Same here and it keeps saying Atti Mode, AND I had 9+ satelites
2017-1-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

That is normal. If the aircraft has a compass conflict, it switches out of P-GPS mode into ATTI mode. This means your aircraft is flying manually, so you need to be aware that it will not hold position and may drift away with the wind. The usual reason for this is that you did not get a good compass calibration. First thing to note is that it is not necessary to keep calibrating your compass all the time, perhaps read up on that here on the forum. The next thing is to perform the calibration correctly, you need to be in a clear area, preferably on grass, well away from concrete or any metal objects.
2017-1-1
Use props
PracticallyGeeK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Not the only one unfortunately

I've read alot of people saying it and I had same experience with the compass, mine did it from the start and I decided to send it back for inspection.

Engineers back at the retailer not DJI have test flown it and told me they found nothing . .no broken compass or so I've been told. I don't believe they have checked the compass so I've now got to pick it up and test it again.

Rest assured if I still get the errors I will be demanding a refund, the retailer in question have assured me that they received no errors while test flying it although they did mention the plugged the drone in a recalibrated it some how etc etc . .whether that means they factory reset it or something I don't know . .

Anyway I know one chap who was experiencing the same issue as us and many others and replaced his compass. Since then he has had no errors so I I'm fully expecting the problem to keep happening.

I hope DJI are aware that their drones MAY have faulty compasses, just seems weird many people are having this issue and nothing helps to fix it expect replacing the actually compass. . . .
2017-1-1
Use props
PracticallyGeeK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Let me just point out I'm not making a statement on DJI's quality control. People may not be calibrating their craft right or in a area with too much interference. I just wanted to share my experience and how unhappy I've been so far with my drone.

It's a bloody shame because the drone itself is amazing and I can tell how much better it is compared to my Parrot drone even if at the minute the compass seems to be broke.
2017-1-1
Use props
BenStein
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2066532 ft
United States

I was plagued by perpetual compass calibration failure (including in a field in rural farm land). In Sensor Status, both Compass 1 and Compass 2 read "Please check the compass module installation direction or electo-magnetic interference". Where I was did not matter: at my house, in the boonies, in a field, on the shore of a lake. On chat with DJI support, they had me return it as defective.

Same symptom: would drop from GPS mode into ATTI in the middle of flight.

compass error

compass error
2017-1-4
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

BenStein Posted at 2017-1-4 17:48
I was plagued by perpetual compass calibration failure (including in a field in rural farm land). In Sensor Status, both Compass 1 and Compass 2 read "Please check the compass module installation direction or electo-magnetic interference". Where I was did not matter: at my house, in the boonies, in a field, on the shore of a lake. On chat with DJI support, they had me return it as defective.

Wow! I fly Litchi missions all of the time and my Phantom flies miles out per trip (way out of radio range). And my two biggest fears are a hawk taking it down or the Phantom kicks out of GPS mode. I guess in the latter, it would just hover above the forest and be taken wherever the wind blows it.
2017-1-5
Use props
lvl.1

Canada

BenStein Posted at 2017-1-4 17:48

I had the same problem.  Unfortunately mine crashed when it switched to atti from gps while on a wye point mission.  Dji will not admit the problem.  They are not covering it under warranty, but I am still fighting with them.  We are not alone with this problems.  This all happened after I updated their firmware.
2017-1-6
Use props
lvl.1

Canada

I had the same problem.  Unfortunately mine crashed when it switched to atti from gps while on a wye point mission.  Dji will not admit the problem.  They are not covering it under warranty, but I am still fighting with them.  We are not alone with this problems.  This all happened after I updated their firmware.
2017-1-6
Use props
Vikassi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17516 ft
United States

OK.  So I am getting the compass error as well.  I calibrated in an open field, nothing around me.  Its an open field.  No metal on me, I left the cell phone and the RC 30 feet away, then calibrated.  All good.  Took her up in the air, compass error, exit GPS.  Drone is now in ATTI and starts to drift with the wind.  And you know what the kicker is, I can't even update the firmware because since XMAS, I am getting the "version unknown message in the DJI APP and never get prompted to do a firmware update (there is another thread about this here as well).  I don't think the firmware will fix the problem anyway.  It seems like there are LOTS of people who have been getting the compass errors.  Yes, learn to fly in ATTI mode.  It's not the easiest, especially when your disoriented on the direction of the drone.  Sometimes left if actually right, backward is actually forward, depending on the heading of the nose of the aircraft.  LOL.  We are all screwed here!
2017-1-7
Use props
Namdsibor
New

United States

Vikassi Posted at 2017-1-7 22:02
OK.  So I am getting the compass error as well.  I calibrated in an open field, nothing around me.  Its an open field.  No metal on me, I left the cell phone and the RC 30 feet away, then calibrated.  All good.  Took her up in the air, compass error, exit GPS.  Drone is now in ATTI and starts to drift with the wind.  And you know what the kicker is, I can't even update the firmware because since XMAS, I am getting the "version unknown message in the DJI APP and never get prompted to do a firmware update (there is another thread about this here as well).  I don't think the firmware will fix the problem anyway.  It seems like there are LOTS of people who have been getting the compass errors.  Yes, learn to fly in ATTI mode.  It's not the easiest, especially when your disoriented on the direction of the drone.  Sometimes left if actually right, backward is actually forward, depending on the heading of the nose of the aircraft.  LOL.  We are all screwed here!

I just received my drone, and am not being prompted for a Firmware Update either on my iphone, but on my Android it says there is one available.  It currently has the Firmware Version listed as Uknown as well.

Also, are we not supposed to calibrate the compass before every flight now???  I am pretty sure DJI's YouTube video even states to do the compass calibration before each flight for the P3.
2017-1-7
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Namdsibor Posted at 2017-1-7 23:32
I just received my drone, and am not being prompted for a Firmware Update either on my iphone, but on my Android it says there is one available.  It currently has the Firmware Version listed as Uknown as well.

Also, are we not supposed to calibrate the compass before every flight now???  I am pretty sure DJI's YouTube video even states to do the compass calibration before each flight for the P3.

I never do a compass calibration for every flight. I just did it once and I never did it again.

Android App v3.0.1
Litchi Android v3.9.2
Firmware v1.7.90
2017-1-8
Use props
Namdsibor
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-1 14:32
That is normal. If the aircraft has a compass conflict, it switches out of P-GPS mode into ATTI mode. This means your aircraft is flying manually, so you need to be aware that it will not hold position and may drift away with the wind. The usual reason for this is that you did not get a good compass calibration. First thing to note is that it is not necessary to keep calibrating your compass all the time, perhaps read up on that here on the forum. The next thing is to perform the calibration correctly, you need to be in a clear area, preferably on grass, well away from concrete or any metal objects.

On page 41 of the P3S User Manual it says "Always calibrate the compass in every new flight location" https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... al_v1.4_en_0112.pdf

Geebax, You said "it is not necessary to keep calibrating your compass all the time".  So, which is it?
2017-1-8
Use props
Vikassi
lvl.2
United States

Namdsibor Posted at 2017-1-7 23:32

supposedly, DJI has been having major issues with the firmware displaying and updating since XMAS.  There is another thread here on this forum explaining they are going through a "server reconfiguration".  I have no idea what version of firmware mines running and also cannot update it.  
2017-1-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Namdsibor Posted at 2017-1-8 05:02
On page 41 of the P3S User Manual it says "Always calibrate the compass in every new flight location" https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_standard/en/Phantom_3_Standard_User_Manual_v1.4_en_0112.pdf

Geebax, You said "it is not necessary to keep calibrating your compass all the time".  So, which is it?

Yes, I know what the DJI manual says, but if you search through this forum you will find that the experienced owners recommend you do not calibrate the compass before each flight. The thing is to understand what the compass does, and when you do, you will see it is completely un-necessary to calibrate all the time.

I have had my P3P for over a year now, and in all that time, it was only every calibrated once, when I bought it. And I have travelled all over my state flying in many places and NOT ONCE have I had a compass arror.
2017-1-8
Use props
fansecef9785
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

Namdsibor Posted at 2017-1-8 05:02
On page 41 of the P3S User Manual it says "Always calibrate the compass in every new flight location" https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_standard/en/Phantom_3_Standard_User_Manual_v1.4_en_0112.pdf

"...in every new flight location..."  I fly at my home, then pack it up and take it 50 miles away.  Before the first flight in the new location I perform the calibration.  When I return home, I do it again before the first flight.  Two days later when I fly at home again I do not calibrate the compass because I am in the same geographic area.  Hope this helps.
2017-1-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fansecef9785 Posted at 2017-1-8 16:34
"...in every new flight location..."  I fly at my home, then pack it up and take it 50 miles away.  Before the first flight in the new location I perform the calibration.  When I return home, I do it again before the first flight.  Two days later when I fly at home again I do not calibrate the compass because I am in the same geographic area.  Hope this helps.

Even 50 miles away, it is unlikely the magnetic variation is great enough to need a new compass calibration.
2017-1-8
Use props
Vikassi
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-8 14:35
Yes, I know what the DJI manual says, but if you search through this forum you will find that the experienced owners recommend you do not calibrate the compass before each flight. The thing is to understand what the compass does, and when you do, you will see it is completely un-necessary to calibrate all the time.

I have had my P3P for over a year now, and in all that time, it was only every calibrated once, when I bought it. And I have travelled all over my state flying in many places and NOT ONCE have I had a compass arror.

wow, never?  something must be wrong with my compass then.  How long have you had your P3S for?  I'm wondering if mine was part of a bad production line.
2017-1-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Vikassi Posted at 2017-1-8 17:13
wow, never?  something must be wrong with my compass then.  How long have you had your P3S for?  I'm wondering if mine was part of a bad production line.

I have a P3P, not a Standard, and I have had it since October 2015.
2017-1-8
Use props
a_savvin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55840 ft
Canada

Vikassi Posted at 2017-1-7 22:02

Hello! It seems to me I am getting same issue with my GJI P3 4K .
Did you able to solve this issue.
Last year 2016 in November I have not had this issue.
The only this year 2017 I did update software.
Thank you
2017-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules