Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Stock UV lens cover smudge
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

How easy is it to irreprably damage the surface of the stock UV lens cover?
I've started noticing scratches and smudges on mine and may seem to have affected my most recent video recording.
Some lens coatings are flimsy and easily scratched/smudged.   The HTC M8 was such an example that many, including myself polished the coating off with toothpaste and got much better pictures afterward.  I'm hoping the Phantom 3 advanced isn't like that and the surface can be cleaned properly where it won't look scratched/smudged when the surface is viewed at an angle.
If it has an anti-glare coating that is easily damaged and using lens pen/lens cleaner doesn't fix it, I may just polish it off like I did with my M8.  I won't have much to lose except some increased glare in direct bright light.

I can't see the actual lense having been dirtied/damaged since the UV lens cover protects it.  $38 for the stock UV lens is ridiculous.

I'll try using the sun hood that came with the bundle and landing stabilzers that I have on order since it seems the camera sits so low that it can easily hit grass even with the gimbal protector.
2017-1-1
Use props
Squishy The Dog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73665 ft

United Kingdom

Hello DansMan32, I own a Phantom 3 Pro and my lense is virtually indestructible. The best thing to do is to get one of those microfiber cloths and some 99% pure rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) and apply some of that to the lense and then wipe it with the coth. You will probably find that they are not scratches and just dirt. I found that to be the case with mine. if you find that they are scratches then the toothpaste method is not ideal as you could make it blurry.
2017-1-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Always land with the camera lens aimed straight out, ahead or even pointing slightly upwards.
You might want to consider custom building or if you're not really the industrious type, buying your own landing pad.
There are numerous ones available, some that even fold out, which take up very little space, when not in use.

If cleaning the front element on my Phantom 3 Pro' I will only ever use what I utilize on my precious Nikon Nikkor lenses.
Depending what the issue is, I have my Rocket air Blower, a clean lens pen, disposable lens "cloth", liquid lens cleaner if necessary.
Only appropriate tools for the particular job. Never use fingers or your tee shirt either.
Thanks to a forum friend, Rigworker. Gifted me a lens cap for my front element. It's a gimbal-guard/lens-cap duo combination.  
When I take that off, I replace it with a petal lens hood.  A bit more protection to the front element, from getting bumped, touched.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Squishy The Dog Posted at 2017-1-1 16:53
Hello DansMan32, I own a Phantom 3 Pro and my lense is virtually indestructible. The best thing to do is to get one of those microfiber cloths and some 99% pure rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) and apply some of that to the lense and then wipe it with the coth. You will probably find that they are not scratches and just dirt. I found that to be the case with mine. if you find that they are scratches then the toothpaste method is not ideal as you could make it blurry.

I would never use 99% alcohol on my cameras. That strength is a solvent.

Much better and obviously safer, to use something highly diluted.
Like Eye glass cleaner which is very mild, but adequate to clean a dirty lens.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-1
Use props
flowbie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124281 ft
Canada

Squishy The Dog Posted at 2017-1-1 16:53

And never use a microfibre cloth. They trap dirt that you can see and cause scratches. Use disposable lens tissues instead. I use Tiffen lens tissues and Zeiss lens cleaning liquid.
2017-1-1
Use props
Squishy The Dog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73665 ft

United Kingdom

Alcohol seems to work fine for me? I sort of see your point though. However that's the point in using 99% alcohol as it desolves the dirt and other things such as grease from fingers instead of rubbing them into the lenses further scratching it.
2017-1-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I'm only interested in removing the unwanted debris, not melting it all into a slurry.  ;-)

Unsure where you're sticking that lens that you need 99% alcohol to clean it. Haha
That's hostpital strength Disinfectant and not necessary to clean a finger print smudge or couple specks of minute dirt.
And may interfere with any special coatings that have been applied to our first element.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-1
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

What solvent and strength one can reasonably use all depends on the durability of the coating.  I assume the UV lens has an anti reflective coating.   Many lenses have cheap coatings that are easily scratched/damaged such as has been the case with the HTC One M8 smartphone where one was better off removing the coating as the image already became blurry.
I wanted to have an idea though if the existing lens was durable enough to salvage or if I'd have to get another one and be more careful with it.   Some good lenses that first appear trashed can be cleaned to nearly like new, others when they look trashed, they are.
From here on in I will be using the petal lens hood and landing stabilizers to get it further off the ground.  I guess a camera lens care kit is in order as well.
Perhaps these drones should come with a spare lens just as they come with a spare set of props.  At least its the outer glass UV lens which is more of a protective cover rather than the actual lens.

Unfortunately I made a bonehead move not seeing how close I was to the telephone/cable wires when I ascended so my bird is on its way to the hospital where it will be out for a few weeks.  Damaged the gimbal pretty good, worst being the gimbal cover plate that holds the yaw motor shaft bearing as the shaft bent.  I'll be practicing with my Syma X5SW for a while.
2017-1-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mother, used vinegar and lemon juice, in clear water to clean all household Windows and Mirrors, by golly.
But I don't need that lovely citrus fragrance on my high flying drone. ;-)

That's a shame, about your accidental bump. Hope it comes back soon,  better than new...

RedHotPoker

2017-1-2
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

Vinegar and lemon juice might work, but household windows and mirrors don't have anti-glare coatings to consider.   If the UV cover is all glass including any anti-glare, then I wouldn't be concerned.  But the coating can be applied where it can be easily damaged such as was the case with the HTC One M8.

I just got the quote back for the repair, quite reasonable.   They are replacing more items than I thought would need replacement and some items not listed that I thought would need replacement but none of the quoted parts are expensive.   Labor was the most expensive item.
I don't get why the upper and lower body as a repair part is so much cheaper than buying the shell separately
The only glitch in the repair is that they didn't include replacement props.  Sure I have an extra set that came with it, but I'd like to get the damaged ones replaced with known genuine DJI props, and include it in the repair to save on shipping.
But that's for a different thread.
2017-1-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I will only use camera lens products or eyeglass grade cleaner for my first element.
Rocket blower, Lens pen, lens tissues and cloth, mild lens cleaner if necessary. Lens cap. ;-)

They're rebuilding your drone? Good to hear it's getting done and returned to you, soon.

No, I would ever use anything but OEM DJI props, batteries, personal particulars, I'm partial. That's a given.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-10
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

Props and batteries in particular.  I've read horror stories in reviews for props on Amazon.
2017-1-10
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

Well I ordered a set of props from DronePartsPro and found they are generic.  No black/silver markings on the nubs, just numbers 1 and 2 to differentiate them and different form of plastic.
It cost me $9.99 for the props and 3.99 shipping for a total of $13.98.   I'm looking to return them but I'll be out probaby $5 for shipping costs both ways.

I got my drone back today, looks like they replaced the entire gimbal/camera since there are no scratches on it whatsoever, lense cover is perfect and had a plastic protective film over it.
And they only charged me for repairing the Gimbal!
2017-1-20
Use props
fansf02677c2
New
Indonesia

Hello guys, im sorry for my bad english just want to ask how to clean the lens on my dji osmo,

i just bought dji osmos+ a couple week ago and just notice there is a smudge on my footage, first i just think its just dirt on the outer lens,
Then i just realise it can't be cleaned away
Help me anyone know how to solve this issue ?

2017-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules