Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Traveling internationally w/ my Mavic
3925 25 2017-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cooldraw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4255 ft
Singapore

I'm traveling to China tomorrow and I want to bring my Mavic. Im traveling light, and will not have any check-in luggage. I know this might not be a problem with most countries, but does anyone have any experience with traveling to china with their drone?
2017-1-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

There won't be problems at all.  Don't worry
2017-1-2
Use props
tigerdim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 75614 ft
Hong Kong

I just travelled through Germany, Thailand and HK but did have the propellors checked in.

Customs didnt check the drone at all. Thailand just checked the batteries but was all good. You should be fine.
2017-1-2
Use props
nX2unjzBz6WE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 371601 ft
Costa Rica

tigerdim Posted at 2017-1-2 03:41
I just travelled through Germany, Thailand and HK but did have the propellors checked in.

Customs didnt check the drone at all. Thailand just checked the batteries but was all good. You should be fine.

You decided to check in the propellers or were you asked?

Thanks
2017-1-2
Use props
WYHSniper1007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to China! China goverment usually don't care about take drone. But just don't bring and fly in Beijing.
2017-1-4
Use props
WYHSniper1007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have fun in China
2017-1-4
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Fly it in Hong Kong and look for ladyboy
2017-1-4
Use props
irzQnzgxJb40

United States

And FYI, you're drone has already been to China ;-)
2017-1-4
Use props
tigerdim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 75614 ft
Hong Kong

nX2unjzBz6WE Posted at 2017-1-2 08:54
You decided to check in the propellers or were you asked?

Thanks

I decided to just to be safe. I have read about others doing the same.
2017-1-5
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

What airline did you fly? and how did everything go?
2017-1-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Make sure the batteries are drained, enjoy the trip.
2017-1-5
Use props
Cooldraw
lvl.1
Singapore

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-1-5 08:01
What airline did you fly? and how did everything go?

I flew tiger air from Singapore. Decided not to bring my Mavic this trip. I did however speak with customs before departing China and they said it would not be a problem. So I'll bring my Mavic next trip to china.
2017-1-6
Use props
tivoboy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9984 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-5 09:01
Make sure the batteries are drained, enjoy the trip.

why make sure the batteries are drained? Are they going to check onboard at TSA for a li-on that carries a charge?
2017-1-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

tivoboy Posted at 2017-1-6 09:19
why make sure the batteries are drained? Are they going to check onboard at TSA for a li-on that carries a charge?

Well many who have traveled before, had problems with charged batteries, if this happens to you , you are going to have a job on your hands trying to drain fully charged batteries,
Why would you want to take the chance, these are big batteries and who wants to be dealing with an awkward customs officer if you can avoid this...
2017-1-6
Use props
tivoboy
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-6 09:30
Well many who have traveled before, had problems with charged batteries, if this happens to you , you are going to have a job on your hands trying to drain fully charged batteries,
Why would you want to take the chance, these are big batteries and who wants to be dealing with an awkward customs officer if you can avoid this...

well at 43W they are less than half most airlines listed 100W limits.  I've had several batteries that I've carried over the years, 65-90w laptop batteries, and third parties and hadn't had anyone tell me to drain them.  I'm not saying it's not possible, just with 100K+ a year in domestic and international travel I haven't experienced it yet.

now that I SAY that, I'm certain that someone between here, london, amsterdam and Tanzania is going to stop me for having a couple 43w batteries next month.  ;-(
2017-1-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

tivoboy Posted at 2017-1-6 10:26
well at 43W they are less than half most airlines listed 100W limits.  I've had several batteries that I've carried over the years, 65-90w laptop batteries, and third parties and hadn't had anyone tell me to drain them.  I'm not saying it's not possible, just with 100K+ a year in domestic and international travel I haven't experienced it yet.

now that I SAY that, I'm certain that someone between here, london, amsterdam and Tanzania is going to stop me for having a couple 43w batteries next month.  ;-(

It's a free world ,
2017-1-6
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

tivoboy Posted at 2017-1-6 09:19

I remember reading some where that its recommended to travel with battery at 40% charge. But I dont thing its mandatory.
2017-1-6
Use props
MatthewStanciu
New

United States

Cooldraw - please let me know if you've experienced any problems with getting your Mavic through customs and if you've experienced trouble flying it. I want to take my Mavic to Spain and Romania this summer, but the last thing I want is to get slapped with a fine, get my drone confiscated at customs or in the country, etc.
2017-1-10
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
First Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-1-6 11:04
I remember reading some where that its recommended to travel with battery at 40% charge. But I dont thing its mandatory.

I don't think its mandatory either.
I do think its best to travel with less charge. If there happens to be an incident, there is less stored power to be dealt with if there is a fire.
2017-1-10
Use props
Cooldraw
lvl.1
Singapore

MatthewStanciu Posted at 2017-1-10 18:56
Cooldraw - please let me know if you've experienced any problems with getting your Mavic through customs and if you've experienced trouble flying it. I want to take my Mavic to Spain and Romania this summer, but the last thing I want is to get slapped with a fine, get my drone confiscated at customs or in the country, etc.

I asked customs department in china, and they said it wouldn't be a problem. I have no idea about Spain though.
2017-1-15
Use props
Angelo26
Second Officer
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-6 09:30

I just imagined setting up the Mavic in the departure-hall and fly it for 27 minutes to drain the batts ...............  {:4_181:}  ..... and maybe the same procedure 3 times (when having extra batts )
2017-1-15
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

tivoboy Posted at 2017-1-6 10:26

I was carrying my Mavic with 3 batteries and extra sets of props along with all the other camera gears in hand luggage from London to Dubai and Phuket.  Sail from Phuket cross Indian Ocean. Then take flight from Tanzania - Dubai - London.  No problem at all.

The only place I was stopped is at Tanzania where my luggage was taken away and dusted for bomb or something.
2017-1-15
Use props
tivoboy
lvl.1
United States

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2017-1-15 01:46
I was carrying my Mavic with 3 batteries and extra sets of props along with all the other camera gears in hand luggage from London to Dubai and Phuket.  Sail from Phuket cross Indian Ocean. Then take flight from Tanzania - Dubai - London.  No problem at all.

The only place I was stopped is at Tanzania where my luggage was taken away and dusted for bomb or something.

Did they ask you anything about Drones in Tanzania, customers, security checks?  I'm heading there in a month, was going to take Mavic for areas where Drone photography is legal - which isn't too much.
2017-1-16
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

tivoboy Posted at 2017-1-16 10:34
Did they ask you anything about Drones in Tanzania, customers, security checks?  I'm heading there in a month, was going to take Mavic for areas where Drone photography is legal - which isn't too much.

We arrived by ship so there is no checks or anything, it's when we were heading for Dubai by air, the luggage was stopped and dusted at the airport. No big deal really.

In Zanzibar people don't like their photo taken, so be warned. The only place I flown in Tanzania is at a little island called Kilwan Kisiwani out of the sight of any locals.
2017-1-17
Use props
djiuser_IB1LeQUQI18z
New

Mauritius

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2017-1-17 00:44
We arrived by ship so there is no checks or anything, it's when we were heading for Dubai by air, the luggage was stopped and dusted at the airport. No big deal really.

In Zanzibar people don't like their photo taken, so be warned. The only place I flown in Tanzania is at a little island called Kilwan Kisiwani out of the sight of any locals.

Hey there.. while searching for some ideas about how to bring my drone to Tanzania ( Kilimanjaro International airport) I'll transit through Nairobi, I'd like to know if the laws still allows Dji Mavic Air or if there is any restriction or something similar at the custom.
Is Mavic air allow to bring there.

I'll be travelling from Mauritius Island.
Will have to take some photos of crops and landscape.
Any idea if someone can help.
2019-8-12
Use props
djiuser_IB1LeQUQI18z
New

Mauritius

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2017-1-17 00:44

Hey there.. while searching for some ideas about how to bring my drone to Tanzania ( Kilimanjaro International airport) I'll transit through Nairobi, I'd like to know if the laws still allows Dji Mavic Air or if there is any restriction or something similar at the custom.
Is Mavic air allow to bring there.

I'll be travelling from Mauritius Island.
Will have to take some photos of crops and landscape.
Any idea if someone can help.
2019-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules