Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Really poor fpv range
2643 15 2015-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RevoMikey
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi guys, after much research and youtube vids i purchased the Boscam GS920 and Boscam TS321 for my FPV.

I am using stock antennas but its just crap, 60 - 100 meters and the picture is pretty unrecognisable, i dont want to go miles but i thought it would be able achieve a few hundred meters in the open space on the stock twigs                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

This is on 2.4ghz as i didnt want to change the phantom tx/rx for the sake of fpv.

I initially wired the transmitter to the phantoms grey wires that drop out of the arm, i wondered if this was throttling the supply to i just connected it straight to the balance connector but its still crap.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Mike

2015-2-14
Use props
markus2015
Second Officer

Germany

Even with the stock whip antenna you should be getting longer range. Your boscam transmitter is a 400mW?
2015-2-14
Use props
RevoMikey
lvl.3
United Kingdom

That's what I thought, the transmitter is 500mw so should be ample. Should the aerial point up or down?
2015-2-15
Use props
cbx1963.gmail
lvl.3

United Kingdom

so long as the stock antenna are vertical up or down shouldn't matter...

Just a thought Mikey are you running any Wi-Fi at the same time that could be interfering
2015-2-15
Use props
markus2015
Second Officer

Germany

RevoMikey Posted at 2015-2-15 18:09
That's what I thought, the transmitter is 500mw so should be ample. Should the aerial point up or do ...

The stongest signal from a linear polarized whip antenna isn't comming off the tip, but off the long side off of the antenna. However, at close range this wouldn't make much difference. BTW, did you perhaps give power to the transmitter without having an antenna on it. This would fry your transmitter and cause extremely low/poor range.
2015-2-15
Use props
RevoMikey
lvl.3
United Kingdom

well after some tinkering today i achieved about 300m, i changed channels and rewired straight to the balance cables.

Funny thing though is that when its stationary at 300 meters the picture is fine, it loses quality when i move the phantom, effectivley changing angle of the phantom, for this reason i just ordered clover leaf antennas as i thought that the phantom changes angle when going forwards and backwards but is perfectly level when stationary, i had a good discussion with a fellow fpv enthusiast and we thought this might be the way to go.

Just awaiting the clover leafs now.

Truth be told, i had no idea it could blow a tx by not having the antenna connected, i dont know if i did this when installing it but can i assume that its ok if its providing a good solid picture at 300m when stationary?

Thanks fellas.
2015-2-15
Use props
markus2015
Second Officer

Germany

RevoMikey Posted at 2015-2-16 04:33
well after some tinkering today i achieved about 300m, i changed channels and rewired straight to th ...

300 meters with stock whip antenna sound like a fair deal. Your new circular polarized antennas will be more stable and give you more range. Espevially when obstructed with smaller obstacles like trees and if you're yawing and moving a lot.
2015-2-15
Use props
RevoMikey
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks for all the help fellas, my clover leafs came and the range is now great but I am struggling with interference. I am off to maplins this morning to pick up a ferrite ring and I will make a filter. Fingers crossed.
2015-2-22
Use props
RevoMikey
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Well i attempted to rectify the interference today, the rain hasnt held off long enough to fly but i am optimistic it will work.

I started by making an LC filter, its typical, i must have thrown dozens of ferrite rings out over the years and now i actually have interfernce i couldnt find one anywhere, maplins sorted me out though.

I didnt want that monstrosity hanging on the underside of the phantom so i fitted it inside, wrapped in a bag to prevent the ferrite ring touching any of the pcb accidentally.

it all fitted nicely, i wanted to cram the transmitter in there too but opted to keep it safe and hang it underneath.  i popped a little hole through the casing to allow the minimal ammount of cable to show.

the camera and cables is a joke at the moment, this camera and wiring is temporary until i get my sj4000 back and i will use the tv out option then.

so all in all, a good days potching,
2015-2-22
Use props
RevoMikey
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I didnt like the bag idea so opted for something more rigid, i cable tied it in place and i think its much safer now.

2015-2-22
Use props
markus2015
Second Officer

Germany

Please report back if the interferences are now gone after your mod. It's very interesting what you did.
2015-2-22
Use props
RevoMikey
lvl.3
United Kingdom

i managed to take a 30 second flight down my street today, it seems to have worked, at full accelleration the interference had totally gone, my camera is crap so i dont expect miracles but its a definate improvment, i need some dry windless weather now to give it a proper test.

i cant wait for my sj4000 to arrive so i can bin this crappy camera.
2015-2-23
Use props
RevoMikey
lvl.3
United Kingdom

well after a bit more testing the picture and flickering/ interference is still pretty bad.

I am still waiting for my sjcam to come back so i thought i would run the fpv camera straight off the filtered live as apposed to the live running through the transmitter, this made no difference so i looked a bit deeper,

I wondered if i was getting problems with the neutral cables, i checked the neutral from the camera to the transmitter and the factory made connector on the ts321 transmitter just fell apart on the neutral, i stripped it and soldered it instead of those crappy crimp connectors. i took it up in my street and it seems to have made a hooooge difference, still some minor flickering but in a built up aera with wifi routers everywhere i am bound to get some interference.

I will be taking it to my flying field later today, could it just have been a dodgy neautral all this time? fingers crossed.
2015-2-28
Use props
RevoMikey
lvl.3
United Kingdom

That did it, i now have awesome range with minimal flickering, i took the phantom as far as i felt comfortable and maintained a good solid fpv experience the whole way, probably about 700 meters i would guess, thats far enough for me.

The only thing letting the experience down now is the camera and some jello, not worth messing around with that though until i get the new sjcam. i got sick of waiting so bought another one this morning, should be here by Wednesday.

I flew over trees, train tracks, over fields and it was a really nice experience, the wind was a bit gusty and going out took no time at all, flying back against the wind though was slow and scary.  

As time goes by now i will remove the lc filter i made and see if i actually need it or whether all this was caused by a poorly factory made neutral wire.

I may also test the range on the stock aerials, the clover leafs for 2.4ghz are crazy big compared to the 5.8ghz versions, if i can maintain solid fpv with the stocks i may leave them on, but as is typical in Britain its raining again so not looking like i get more play time today

Happy days!
2015-2-28
Use props
johnandrew70
lvl.1

United Kingdom

RevoMikey Posted at 2015-2-28 23:24
That did it, i now have awesome range with minimal flickering, i took the phantom as far as i felt c ...

Hi RevoMikey
have you got a link for the Clover antennas, i am in the process of installing a Boscam TS321 and need to get decent antennas for the TX and RX, I did read that a TP Link Omnidirectional is good for the RX but obviously its way to long for the TX
I do like the Mushroom type but cants find any here in the uk for 2.4ghz so wondered what you are using.

My fpv cam is a HD 700TVL and i also have a brushless gimbal with a Kitvision Edge HD30 camera which is great i just havent been able to get live video out of it or it would be brilliant for fpv.

John
2015-3-23
Use props
RevoMikey
lvl.3
United Kingdom

my clover antennas are hoooge, thats the drawback of 2.4 i guess, i picked them up online from a local shop, about £20 for the pair. the only issue is how exposed they are, i have had to solder repairs on them already, they are worth it and the range is equal to the phantom but they are big and flimsy and need to be looked after.

I got mine from www.tecnic.co.uk

you can get them cheaper on ebay but i didnt want to wait so paid twice as much to get them quick.
2015-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules