Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Strange battery charging behavior
1211 7 2017-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JasonMBryant
lvl.4

United States

I went out and flew with a full battery. I flew until it was a little over 30%, then landed.

When I plugged the battery into the charger, the lights started blinking oddly. I don't see anything in the manual for this pattern.

The first and second light are blinking. The first one turns on, then the second one turns on, then they both turn off. The rate is about twice a second. When I unplug it, this blinking continues until I press the battery's power button.

I've tried unlugging it and plugging it back in, but it does the same thing.

Does anyone know what this is?
2017-1-2
Use props
fansfaf81375
lvl.1

United States

Might mean the battery is too hot and needs to cool down before charging
2017-1-2
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.4

United States

fansfaf81375 Posted at 2017-1-2 12:18
Might mean the battery is too hot and needs to cool down before charging

I left it unplugged for a couple of hours. It did the same thing.

I also checked the manual. There are no warning patters that use two lights.

I left it plugged in for a couple of minutes. It went to a three light pattern. I unplugged it again. I still had to press the power button to make it stop blinking.
2017-1-2
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.4

United States

It did seem to charge while plugged in. I didn't have it in long, but it got over 50%.

I decided to try downgrading the firmware, then upgrading again. That didn't go well. The download failed every time. I thought that might be useful because when I updated to v01.03.0200 this battery only got to 99% of the firmware upgrade before the update froze. I rebooted, and it told me the firmware was up to date, so maybe it was fine, or maybe that's the reason for the problem. I can't seem to download the old firmware, so I don't know how to test that.
2017-1-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Jason, could you please make a short video of the battery issue?
Can the battery be fully charged?
2017-1-2
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.4

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-2 19:22
Hi Jason, could you please make a short video of the battery issue?
Can the battery be fully charged?

DJI-Mindy and everyone else, thank you for your help, but this seems to be user error again.

I've actually gone a couple of weeks without charging batteries, and I think I mis-remembered the pattern of the lights. Also, I never noticed before that the lights continue to blink after you unplug it. I just did a search on youtube for "Mavic battery charging" and saw videos of other batteries performing exactly the same as mine. Apparently it was working perfectly fine, I just didn't remember what normal operation looks like.

I swear I'm smarter than this. I'll try to research issues better in the future before asking for help.
2017-1-2
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

I also got confused a few times that the batteries continue their charging behaviour for quite some time when you unplug them from the charger.

One day I was using the car charger and was really sure it charged the battery even when the car was off. That means I was sure maybe 20 seconds until the battery finally stopped blinking.

It is a bit confusing that we do not get instant feedback in such situations.
2017-1-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

JasonMBryant Posted at 2017-1-2 19:50
DJI-Mindy and everyone else, thank you for your help, but this seems to be user error again.

I've actually gone a couple of weeks without charging batteries, and I think I mis-remembered the pattern of the lights. Also, I never noticed before that the lights continue to blink after you unplug it. I just did a search on youtube for "Mavic battery charging" and saw videos of other batteries performing exactly the same as mine. Apparently it was working perfectly fine, I just didn't remember what normal operation looks like.

Glad to hear that everything's fine.
Enjoy your flight. :-)
2017-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules