DJI Go app for Windows?
62282 38 2017-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tundrwd
lvl.2
United States

I KNOW it's only for Android/iOS - currently - but just wondering if there's any consideration to create a Go App for Windows tablets...
There's plenty of small Windows tablets (I've had 3), that seem like they would have enough horsepower to run the app, and they can be fairly cheap.  Got the last one on the MS store, for $59 - about $100 off for an 8" tablet running a Cherry Trail processor.  So they are out there, and seem pretty good.  Battery life is OK - not anywhere near as good as iOS, and roughly on par with the smaller Android tablets...
2017-1-2
Use props
tundrwd
lvl.2
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-2 13:08
I could use my 13" surface book detachable screen with the RC    I doubt there will be a windows app anytime soon if ever, Microsoft lost that market years ago.  I hated having to get an iPad but it is what it is.

I know M$ has - just wondering...
2017-1-4
Use props
anjanamin
New

United States

It would be great to see a windows 10 app so I can use my sp4. There are plenty of people with windows 2 in 1s that would love to use them instead of their phone. I have been using my s7 and the experience is no where near as good as my friends iPad. Hopefully these threads get some traction and DJI sees there is a market for a UWP app.
2017-1-10
Use props
fansea692431
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263737 ft
United States

If you can use surface book to fly dji drones it would streamline so many postwork video editing.  Especially with dedicated gpu units.
2017-2-9
Use props
Xavier1984
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1634843 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

It will be very nice to have an Windows version of DJI Go, usable on Windows tablet or desktop ! Big screen for the live view, better performance !
2017-2-9
Use props
fansd8baa1e5
New
United States

I totally agree, it would be awesome to have the ability to use my surface! Has anyone heard anything?
2017-3-16
Use props
anjanamin
New

United States

fansd8baa1e5 Posted at 2017-3-16 21:29
I totally agree, it would be awesome to have the ability to use my surface! Has anyone heard anything?

Doesn't seem like there's anything new. I try to check back every few weeks and all I see is a new comment here and there.
2017-3-24
Use props
erikarmandoperr
New
Switzerland

We can try with an android emulator on windows... install the app and run on our PC, the game is done, I will try
2017-6-6
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Ouch,the emulators for android makes the win system lose much speed to process the data from and to the copter. A native windows DJI Go could be the best for the win PC or tablet.
2017-6-7
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

Yeah, I have a Transformer Windows tablet that is much more powerful than my Android tablet. Would be great to use it.
2017-6-7
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

I have a Surface Pro and love it but I had to buy an iPad to fly my P3S - sucks the big one.
2017-6-7
Use props
TriptyX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 349226 ft
Croatia

I would also love to have a windows app, universal of course, that way you can run it as a standalone app in any windows machine.the thing is, i have really nice lenovo tablet, works amazingly fast, high brightness, and it just sits there. OTG functions are something to be considered of course, but hey, what is the market share of windows running hardware? You can port your existing app DJI if you didnt know....
2017-12-30
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

Look in to that topic . What is possible with RemixOS on Windows hardware?
2017-12-30
Use props
TriptyX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 349226 ft
Croatia

Tried well 5 emulators and installing Android on a Lenovo windows tablet. Been playing all day. Not working at least not in my case
2017-12-30
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

Remix not as an emulator as a standalone OS on a Windows hardware could do it but the most laptops and tablet pc´s with windows have safe boot option. If i can do that then the Go app runs on the Surface2 without a handbrake.
2018-1-1
Use props
Anomaly
New

United States

I'm using DuOS, an excellent Android emulator for Windows on my Dell E6540 and I am able to connect to the drone's feed using the DJI-Go app on the emulator. The speed is not bad at all and definitely usable. I am running an i5 CPU with 8GB RAM.
2018-2-21
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

How about porting  it to run on Linux? Android OS is basically a Linux derivitive.
2018-3-6
Use props
markfothebeast1
lvl.2

United States

Agreed. But Windows is a bit more complex; that's why there's C#: It does all the hard work for you... And from my understanding Apple mobile applications can be compiled in C# (From what I'd just Googled, never done it). The problem is, it may be a legality issue with some guy trying to fly his quadcopter outside while he's on his desktop PC in the house. But I would love to see a Windows application for Windows tablets. Apple operating systems drive me insane.
2018-3-20
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

DJI & Microsoft are working on it now!
2018-5-24
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

Check here

https://news.microsoft.com/2018/ ... -to-the-enterprise/
2018-5-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Tooter Turtle Posted at 2018-5-24 15:37
Check here

https://news.microsoft.com/2018/05/07/dji-and-microsoft-partner-to-bring-advanced-drone-technology-to-the-enterprise/

That does not say that a version of DJI's Go App is being ported to Windows at all. It says an SDK will be released for Windows so that developers can create applications using the drone technocolgy. Two very different things.
2018-5-24
Use props
hgv trucker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

You could try this.....
2018-5-29
Use props
dorbot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 844770 ft

That would be cool. Then I could wear my desktop PC on my back and strap my 4K monitor to my face for some serious FPV.
2018-5-29
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

dorbot Posted at 2018-5-29 13:18
That would be cool. Then I could wear my desktop PC on my back and strap my 4K monitor to my face for some serious FPV.

You ´ll need a generator car for that
2018-5-30
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

Has anybody tried Android for PC ? I wonder if DJI go will work under that platform?
2018-6-16
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

Seen somebody mentioned Phoenix OS that is Andriod OS for PC anybody tried or here of this working?
2018-6-17
Use props
tundrwd
lvl.2
United States

Tooter Turtle Posted at 2018-6-16 23:43
Has anybody tried Android for PC ? I wonder if DJI go will work under that platform?

Well, you honestly want to risk your drone on an emulator for an OS and run an app on that?  I can't even begin to name the ways that could go wrong.  Overall, Android really bothers me.  I've got a tablet, and I get CONTINUOUS updates - from Google no less - on it.  While that may seem good - you've really got to ask just how many bugs are in there that they need to fix?  I haven't upgraded the OS, and the next OS release won't be released until later this fall - so what do they need to fix 2-3 times a week?  Same apps continuously.

I'd say if anyone runs on Android - find whatever works reliably on your tablet - and don't update it until the next tablet...

I gave up on Windows tablets long ago.  They were a "flash in the pan", and never had enough serious memory or horsepower to go anywhere.
2018-6-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tundrwd Posted at 2018-6-17 05:22
Well, you honestly want to risk your drone on an emulator for an OS and run an app on that?  I can't even begin to name the ways that could go wrong.  Overall, Android really bothers me.  I've got a tablet, and I get CONTINUOUS updates - from Google no less - on it.  While that may seem good - you've really got to ask just how many bugs are in there that they need to fix?  I haven't upgraded the OS, and the next OS release won't be released until later this fall - so what do they need to fix 2-3 times a week?  Same apps continuously.

I'd say if anyone runs on Android - find whatever works reliably on your tablet - and don't update it until the next tablet...

I gave up on Windows tablets long ago.  They were a "flash in the pan", and never had enough serious memory or horsepower to go anywhere.

Except for the Surface Pro of course ;)
2018-6-17
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

tundrwd Posted at 2018-6-17 05:22
Well, you honestly want to risk your drone on an emulator for an OS and run an app on that?  I can't even begin to name the ways that could go wrong.  Overall, Android really bothers me.  I've got a tablet, and I get CONTINUOUS updates - from Google no less - on it.  While that may seem good - you've really got to ask just how many bugs are in there that they need to fix?  I haven't upgraded the OS, and the next OS release won't be released until later this fall - so what do they need to fix 2-3 times a week?  Same apps continuously.

I'd say if anyone runs on Android - find whatever works reliably on your tablet - and don't update it until the next tablet...

That wouldn't be an emulator if the OS is Android specific.
I'm thinking of trying on my surface or just wait for Windows version to come out  but not holding my breath for that of course!
2018-6-18
Use props
tundrwd
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-6-17 20:21
I gave up on Windows tablets long ago.  They were a "flash in the pan", and never had enough serious memory or horsepower to go anywhere.

Except for the Surface Pro of course ;)

I have one (SP4) - and I can say it is NOT a "Windows Tablet".  It's a laptop that can act as a tablet.  Look around, and you really won't find them like you could 18-24 months ago.  Might be one or two - but they don't really exist anymore.
2018-6-18
Use props
tundrwd
lvl.2
United States

Tooter Turtle Posted at 2018-6-18 08:57
That wouldn't be an emulator if the OS is Android specific.
I'm thinking of trying on my surface or just wait for Windows version to come out  but not holding my breath for that of course!

Well, you've got one of two choices:

1.  Run something like Phoenix or Android-X86, which replaces your OS (or boot from USB), and now you can be a tester.  Unless you have the exact same hardware as someone else who has successfully tested those OS's (down to the same chipset level) - you are a tester on your device.  May work, may not.  Drivers may not work properly or they may.  Not knocking those who have created either of these (or others) - but YOU become the tester.

OR

2.  You run something like "Bluestacks" which tells you on their front page that they are an emulator.

Either way - you're "off the reservation" so to speak.  You think DJI tests their software on these devices/software?  Or they test the more popular and widespread tablets that exist?

So again - you want to risk a "fly-away" or something else catastrophic to play with untested software on an untested device?  Go pick up a Samsung Galaxy tab - they support DJI - I'll bete DJI tests on these devices - get a used one pretty cheap.  I've seen them for $50.  Compared to an $800+ drone - that seems to be safe insurance.

And you appear to be in the United States.  Care to explain to the FAA how your drone violated something they want to burn you for - because the software stack(s) you operated on are untried and untested?  And even if you have 100 successful flights - all it takes is the one.
2018-6-18
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

tundrwd Posted at 2018-6-18 09:41
Well, you've got one of two choices:

1.  Run something like Phoenix or Android-X86, which replaces your OS (or boot from USB), and now you can be a tester.  Unless you have the exact same hardware as someone else who has successfully tested those OS's (down to the same chipset level) - you are a tester on your device.  May work, may not.  Drivers may not work properly or they may.  Not knocking those who have created either of these (or others) - but YOU become the tester.

I'll probably gravitate to the ipad mini 4, and if they ever support microsoft I will still have my surface.
2018-6-18
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft

1.  Run something like Phoenix or Android-X86, which replaces your OS (or boot from USB), and now you can be a tester.  Unless you have the exact same hardware as someone else who has successfully tested those OS's (down to the same chipset level) - you are a tester on your device.  May work, may not.  Drivers may not work properly or they may.  Not knocking those who have created either of these (or others) - but YOU become the tester.

I don't see how it can cause a fly away when the drone can be flown without a tablet or phone. If something starts to go wrong simply unplug the cord and you will have full control.
2018-6-18
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

Tried Phoenix OS but touch screen didn't work so I could not partition/format HD any ideas ?
2018-6-24
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

Tooter Turtle Posted at 2018-5-24 15:37
Check here

https://news.microsoft.com/2018/05/07/dji-and-microsoft-partner-to-bring-advanced-drone-technology-to-the-enterprise/

That would be awesome! I have a Surface Pro LTE and would love to use it.
2018-6-24
Use props
jwwool
lvl.1
Flight distance : 166181 ft

United States

I would love to use the new Surface Go with DJI go (haha)

https://blogs.windows.com/device ... AfiLMcS5IcRWUKRS.97
2018-7-10
Use props
Dbentzjr
New
United States

I would LOVE to use my Surface Go with my Mavic Mini, I really hope DJI makes this possible soon.
2020-5-7
Use props
Dbentzjr
New
United States

I did something similar to this, I used my windows 10 surface go with bluestacks emulator to try to fly a cheaper drone I own, but all I can say is its just not worth it.  Yes It works, but the input lag is terrible, something like 4 whole seconds between your inputs and seeing it on camera.
2020-5-7
Use props
RKyle164
New

Australia

Wait until they release the Surface Duo and copies of its OS
2021-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules