Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo mobile - phone battery life?
15478 23 2017-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Razer_73
lvl.1

United States

So im trying to decide between the Osmo and the osmo mobile. Im very tempted by the mobile with my S7 edge due to the easy and quick setup and entry level pricing. This will be used to film my 7 month daughter as she grows up.

Ive seen the posts about battery life on the osmo but limited informaiton on how long peoples phone batteries are lasting when using the mobile? Could anyone give me an idea of how quickly your battery gets used compared to normal on the phone you are using?

thanks in advance
2017-1-3
Use props
CTIGUK
lvl.1
United States

I have the S7 edge and started using the Osmo Mobile last week. I can tell you a 1 hour motion timelapse taking a photo every 0.5 seconds (so quite intense use) saw my battery drop from 100 to 65%.
2017-1-3
Use props
Razer_73
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Anyone able to comment?
2017-1-3
Use props
CTIGUK
lvl.1
United States

CTIGUK Posted at 2017-1-3 12:17
I have the S7 edge and started using the Osmo Mobile last week. I can tell you a 1 hour motion timelapse taking a photo every 0.5 seconds (so quite intense use) saw my battery drop from 100 to 65%.

I should add, when you consider the S7/Edge has fast charging, this was really pretty decent, I thought. I don't have any more exact figures yet, but I didn't notice a difference between just standard 4K video recording on the s7 Edge.

The gimbal/osmo mobile itself lasted around 4 hours during my use. I used it all day in San Diego with no issues... It then took about 90 minutes or so to charge it from flat to 95% battery
2017-1-3
Use props
B1gfoot
New

Australia

S7 sounds allot more efficient than the iPhone 6s. 1 hour timelapse at 5 sec intervals, 6s battery went from 100% to 15%. Rather disappointing.
2017-1-3
Use props
Razer_73
lvl.1

United Kingdom

CTIGUK Posted at 2017-1-3 12:17

Thanks, thats really helpful, what about just normal filming, how long can you film continuously on a single phone charge?
2017-1-3
Use props
CTIGUK
lvl.1
United States

B1gfoot Posted at 2017-1-3 13:07
S7 sounds allot more efficient than the iPhone 6s. 1 hour timelapse at 5 sec intervals, 6s battery went from 100% to 15%. Rather disappointing.

Yeah, that's not great... My friend has the iPhone 7+ and said the timelapse 'ruined' his battery. I don't know what that means exactly, but would be interested to know!

2017-1-3
Use props
CTIGUK
lvl.1
United States

Razer_73 Posted at 2017-1-3 13:09
Thnaks, thats really helpful, what about just normal filming, how long can you film continuously on a single phone charge?

I'll try and find some time to just leave it recording to find out, will let you know!
2017-1-3
Use props
Razer_73
lvl.1

United Kingdom

CTIGUK Posted at 2017-1-3 13:30
I'll try and find some time to just leave it recording to find out, will let you know!

Thanks, thats very kind
2017-1-3
Use props
CTIGUK
lvl.1
United States

Razer_73 Posted at 2017-1-3 14:27
Thanks, thats very kind

Hi @Razer_73 - I conducted some testing today (I'm also going to be putting together a review on youtube at a later date) and the S7 lasted 2 hours recording 4K footage using active tracking.

The S7 Edge's fast charging meant I could recharge the phone from 0% to 100% in 1 hour 28 mins (with the phone off the whole time I was charging) or 1 hour 40 minute (with the phone switched on while charging). You'll get around 80% charge in just an hour, too. Fast charging is a real benefit in these situations; for comparison, the iPhone 7 takes a little over 3 hours to charge from 0 to 100%.

2 hours doesn't sound long, but the S7 has the best battery life around a far as I can tell. Better than the Pixel and far better than the iPhone. So I'm guessing the 2 hour solid usage is going to be the best you'll find (unless the DJI Go app is poorly optimised for Android).

As a side note, I was pleased to see the DJI Osmo Mobile lasted 4 hours 31 minutes - active tracking (meaning it was moving the whole time), which is smack bang in the middle of the 4-5 hour commitment from DJI. I'd imagine it would last longer if I didn't use the gimbal at all.

The long and short of it is that for longer days, you'll want a portable charger to ensure your phone keeps up with the DJI Osmo Mobile!

Hope that helps!
2017-1-4
Use props
Razer_73
lvl.1

United States

CTIGUK Posted at 2017-1-4 21:05
Hi @Razer_73 - I conducted some testing today (I'm also going to be putting together a review on youtube at a later date) and the S7 lasted 2 hours recording 4K footage using active tracking.

The S7 Edge's fast charging meant I could recharge the phone from 0% to 100% in 1 hour 28 mins (with the phone off the whole time I was charging) or 1 hour 40 minute (with the phone switched on while charging). You'll get around 80% charge in just an hour, too. Fast charging is a real benefit in these situations; for comparison, the iPhone 7 takes a little over 3 hours to charge from 0 to 100%.

Hi CTUGUK,

Thanks this is exactly what i wanted to know, very kind of you to do this. Ive had an S7 edge for a while and fully appreciate the benefits on fast charging, its a god send. My concern was about having an  impromptu outing and finding you only have a 50% charge on your phone and then wanting to do some filming, and not knowing how long you could expect your phone to last.

Very happy with 2 hours from a full charge but need to consider a power pack like you say as you need to consider this is a phone to and you may need it. Ive read that the Osmo (not mobile) lasts about 30 mins on a single battery so you would need 4 to make the equivalent recording time which isnt ideal and more to carry.

Thanks again
2017-1-4
Use props
Razer_73
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Taken the plunge, after much deliberation over the past few days on what i should order (Osmo, Osmo+ or Osmo mobile ive decided that the portability and quick setup of the mobile, plus the price point works better for me at this time. Should arrive with me tomorrow, thanks again for doing that testing with your S7.
2017-1-6
Use props
MacDyver
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136211 ft
United States

Iphone battery after updates are completely unreliable, so I use one of the external USB battery packs when I'm using my Osmo.
2017-1-14
Use props
Bobcape3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 135787 ft
United States

I posted this in a new thread and selected Osmo Mobile for the forum, but it didn't show up here. Anyway -

I bought an Osmo Mobile at Christmas time and have finally started playing with it. I'm still learning the ins and outs of it. I also own a Phantom 4 so I'm somewhat familiar with the DJI GO app. I have noticed how much battery drain there is on my iPhone 6S Plus. Especially when using Time Lapse or Motion Time Lapse. I decided to try a few different options this morning; some are tips that work with the Phantom 4.

I did some testing with motion time lapse this morning.  First, I closed all apps on my phone and did a reboot, then I opened the DJI GO app.  I put the Osmo Mobile on a tripod, and selected M-Time Lapse and "Tripod Mode". I set it for 1 second and 10 minutes.  I then set the A and B points specifically so I could repeat them and I pressed Start. I had 96% battery when I started. At the end I had 89%. I set it up exactly the same for the second try, except I put my iPhone in Airplane mode and then turned only Bluetooth back on. The battery read 88% at the start and, 86% at the end.  I need to test more but interesting results.  BTW - it was 6 degrees Fahrenheit while I was testing this. The dog had a blast, I was chilly!

Has anyone else tried this or other tips to preserve phone battery life?

Bob
2017-1-15
Use props
A1000
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Bobcape3 Posted at 2017-1-15 10:50
I posted this in a new thread and selected Osmo Mobile for the forum, but it didn't show up here. Anyway -

I bought an Osmo Mobile at Christmas time and have finally started playing with it. I'm still learning the ins and outs of it. I also own a Phantom 4 so I'm somewhat familiar with the DJI GO app. I have noticed how much battery drain there is on my iPhone 6S Plus. Especially when using Time Lapse or Motion Time Lapse. I decided to try a few different options this morning; some are tips that work with the Phantom 4.

Like you I'm using an iPhone 6S Plus and have been disappointed by the battery performance. I have some tests that I have done noted down and will try and create some sense from them and post them but in general I have seen better performance with the native video app than DJI Go app which eats battery, even when in Low Power Mode.  Equally, the iPhone, like most devices suffers badly in the cold, which as the Osmo mobile and the doesn't allow you to use any kind of case on the 6S plus it leaves it very exposed in the cold and wind.  After using it for about 15 mins (about 2 mins of footage) it shut down and wouldn't start with out a battery connected even though it displayed 40% remaining.

Yesterday I did about 60 mins of filming on and off in a cold environment and it dropped from 100% to 6% and shut off.  

I have the opportunity to return the OSMO and am really on the fence as the hardware seems to work, but the phone battery and the app seem to just kill the potential when used as a system.  So sad.
2017-1-15
Use props
jrm11
lvl.4
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

A1000 Posted at 2017-1-15 11:31
Like you I'm using an iPhone 6S Plus and have been disappointed by the battery performance. I have some tests that I have done noted down and will try and create some sense from them and post them but in general I have seen better performance with the native video app than DJI Go app which eats battery, even when in Low Power Mode.  Equally, the iPhone, like most devices suffers badly in the cold, which as the Osmo mobile and the doesn't allow you to use any kind of case on the 6S plus it leaves it very exposed in the cold and wind.  After using it for about 15 mins (about 2 mins of footage) it shut down and wouldn't start with out a battery connected even though it displayed 40% remaining.

Yesterday I did about 60 mins of filming on and off in a cold environment and it dropped from 100% to 6% and shut off.  

I also posted info about this in another topic...

The battery issue you are experiencing in the cold is a common one. Not all batteries have the problem, but it seems related to age. I have the same issue with my 6+. I took it to Apple and their battery diagnostics show the battery is still "good" but old. As I am out of warranty, they will only replace the battery for $79 with no guarantee it will help. One "Genius" claims it is not the battery. I have reset my phone twice.

Bottom line... with a 6s you are probably still under warranty if you have AppleCare. You should consider taking your phone to an Apple Store. They may replace your battery at no cost.
2017-1-17
Use props
A1000
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

jrm11 Posted at 2017-1-17 21:19
I also posted info about this in another topic...

The battery issue you are experiencing in the cold is a common one. Not all batteries have the problem, but it seems related to age. I have the same issue with my 6+. I took it to Apple and their battery diagnostics show the battery is still "good" but old. As I am out of warranty, they will only replace the battery for $79 with no guarantee it will help. One "Genius" claims it is not the battery. I have reset my phone twice.

I may do that, however, I don't see any issues with battery life degradation. Under normal usage after each use I would put it back in a warm pocket and the phone is in a case. When using the osmo the phone is 'nude' and exposed for longer periods and therefore gets much colder.  It's probably this that's the issue for me - bring on the Summer!

I have tried the osmo in doors and get better performance but using the camera sensor is a power hungry business also so it would appear that 1-2 hours videoing seems about the expectation.
2017-1-18
Use props
fans0ffedcc3
New
United States

CTIGUK Posted at 2017-1-4 21:05

I was looking for this answer as well. How can you keep your phone connected to power when it's in the Osmo Mobile? Doesn't the clamp cover the phone charging port?
2017-3-24
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

fans0ffedcc3 Posted at 2017-3-24 09:25
I was looking for this answer as well. How can you keep your phone connected to power when it's in the Osmo Mobile? Doesn't the clamp cover the phone charging port?

If you put the charging port towards the outside and use the adjustable arms on each corner of the phone you can charge it.
2017-3-24
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

I have my old iPhone 6 plus that is disconnected from cellular that i use with my osmo, which save alot of battery because none of the other features are working in the background.
2017-3-24
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.4
United States

Does the weight of the cable attached to a USB external battery affect the balance of gimbal? I've been thinking of attaching one as a test, but for video at 1080P24 using Filmic Pro, my iPhone SE with about 32GB of free space would use up its memory before the battery.
2017-3-28
Use props
fansc4570ec6
New
Flight distance : 56352 ft
United States

jeffbake Posted at 2017-3-28 12:43
Does the weight of the cable attached to a USB external battery affect the balance of gimbal? I've been thinking of attaching one as a test, but for video at 1080P24 using Filmic Pro, my iPhone SE with about 32GB of free space would use up its memory before the battery.

Jeffbake, How long are you getting with your Iphone SE while using the osmo mobile?
2017-3-31
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.4
United States

fansc4570ec6 Posted at 2017-3-31 12:19
Jeffbake, How long are you getting with your Iphone SE while using the osmo mobile?

It depends on what app I'm using. With FilmicPro it depends on the camera settings. Using the basic 1080P24 Setting I get about 45 minutes to an hour of filming before the iPhone battery starts getting below 25%. But when broadcasting for Facebook Live on the OSMO Mobile the iPhone seems to last much longer. Using the video feature in the native camera app also seems to use less battery than Filmic Pro.
2017-4-14
Use props
fans60a92083
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1425686 ft
Australia

With my experience it is horrible. I strongly believe the DJi OSMO software has a serious flaw. My 1st iPhone 6 battery was ruined by using this software. After the phone battery became unreliable, I returned it under warranty and the phone was replaced. With my replacement iPhone 6, after on/off filming for 30min the battery has dropped from 100% to 15%. The reason I believe it is DJi's software causing this usually heavy drain of the battery is, once I see the battery is down below 20%, I close, shutdown the app and reset the phone and surprisingly have 35-45% battery.... I know DJi is commonly known for lots of software bugs, I find this problem so frustrating I am back filming with a my GH5 and Chinese gimbal.
2017-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules