Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 crash because of app problems
5204 36 2017-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dodoisland
lvl.1

Mauritius

Hi there. Hope I can get some advice.  I have had my drone for about 5 months,  flew it using a samsung tablet, that started having issues so I used my iphone 6+.  It worked well.  Then I used it on a samsung galaxy s7 edge and when the phone rebooted because of the dji app my drone landed in the sea.  The remote control didn't work while this happened so I couldn't make the p4 land at the house.  I will attach a video and when you see the drone stop thats when the phone reset and by the time I had control again the p4 was in the sea and the app said the aircraft was disconnected.  This was totally not my fault.  Would I get any form of compensation from dji?   
2017-1-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We feel so sorry to hear about the issue, please sync your flight records through the DJI GO, then send an e-mail to support@dji.com with your APP account (e-mail address) and the exact time it happened, our engineers will try to help you analyze the data.
Generally speaking, the phone rebooting will not affect remote's function, you could still control it and cancel the landing with remote.
While for the phone rebooting issue, we're communicating with Samsung company recently to locate the issue.
Please feel free to let us know for any further questions.
2017-1-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"the phone rebooted because of the dji app my drone landed in the sea.  The remote control didn't work while this happened so I couldn't make the p4 land at the house. "

Your phone rebooted and you lost the app.
But that doesn't explain why you lost the Phantom.
You can disconnect the phone/tablet and still fly your Phantom.
The controller still has full control even without the app, you just can't view the image and telemetry on the screen.
2017-1-4
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

I believe a RTH would have saved this aircraft, provided he had the correct height set and set to return to home when signal lost,
2017-1-4
Use props
Maurice Marques
lvl.1

United States

How do you stop the auto landing without the app? Do you need to send a command with the remote controller or just start using the controller and it will automatically cancel the auto landing? That is good to know and be aware in case of a phone or tablet failure.
2017-1-4
Use props
brunobaptista
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1369839 ft
Brazil

Based on just the video: it looks like the auto-land was triggered, possibly by reaching the critical battery level.

What was the battery level when it happened?

Also, since it was flying low, the unfortunate descent into the water is very short. There was not enough time to go through a reboot of the phone. Perhaps a RTH via the RC button would be the best course of action in this scenario?

2017-1-4
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI should send you a new one because this is a quality issues
2017-1-4
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

Maurice Marques Posted at 2017-1-4 08:12
How do you stop the auto landing without the app? Do you need to send a command with the remote controller or just start using the controller and it will automatically cancel the auto landing? That is good to know and be aware in case of a phone or tablet failure.

simply press the rth button again will cancel it. its in the manual.
2017-1-4
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-4 16:28
Why?  

I see it flying fast (note the angle and arms in the video) just before it stopped, yaw right twice and then land in the sea.

Sorry for let you misunderstanding it, I mean if it is quality issues, dji will sent it a new one
2017-1-4
Use props
Dodoisland
lvl.1

Mauritius

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-4 16:28
Why?  

I see it flying fast (note the angle and arms in the video) it then stopped, yaw'ed right twice and then landed in the sea.

The logs were lost with the resetting of the s7
2017-1-4
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

Grizz 1 Posted at 2017-1-4 08:03
I believe a RTH would have saved this aircraft, provided he had the correct height set and set to return to home when signal lost,

I disagree ,I had the same problem and the RTH did not work .I had to reboot in the air and then after several attempts it worked .
2017-1-4
Use props
perryb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

Grizz 1 Posted at 2017-1-4 15:39
simply press the rth button again will cancel it. its in the manual.

You are so wrong ,it is not that easy in an emergency .
2017-1-4
Use props
keiser08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 446355 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry about your lost. Where was this? The sea looks pretty nice.
2017-1-4
Use props
Dodoisland
lvl.1

Mauritius

keiser08 Posted at 2017-1-4 23:47
Sorry about your lost. Where was this? The sea looks pretty nice.

On the south east coast of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean
2017-1-5
Use props
Dodoisland
lvl.1

Mauritius

brunobaptista Posted at 2017-1-4 08:28
Based on just the video: it looks like the auto-land was triggered, possibly by reaching the critical battery level.

What was the battery level when it happened?

There was a new battery inserted at the beginning of this flight and it only flew about 400m, there was no response when the RTH button was pressed on the RC, it acted as if it had a critically low battery and wonder if it got a false message of a low battery warning when the phone rebooted.  Would this be possible?
2017-1-5
Use props
brunobaptista
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1369839 ft
Brazil

Dodoisland Posted at 2017-1-5 00:32
There was a new battery inserted at the beginning of this flight and it only flew about 400m, there was no response when the RTH button was pressed on the RC, it acted as if it had a critically low battery and wonder if it got a false message of a low battery warning when the phone rebooted.  Would this be possible?

To my knowledge, a "false positive" of battery error is very unlikely. In any case, it is something that would be handled by the Phantom, and just displayed in the App.

Example: if you have your signal lost setting to hover (instead of RTH) and you just turn-off the controller, it will hover there until it reaches the critical battery and then auto-land. So no app, no RC involved. Since it happened so fast, it would suggest an automatic behaviour, such as auto-landing.

Upload the flight log here, so it will be possible to have a look at flight data and maybe come to conclusions. Instructions are on the page on where to find the logs.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/

(it should be there until the moment the phone rebooted)

2017-1-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The simplest way to initiate RTH is to switch off controller (loss of control signal for three seconds), and as long as it's not set to hover or land then it should come home. The RTH button on controller needs to be held operated for three seconds to initiate (LED on button starts flashing).

After the reboot (or before) it is possible that the 'auto-land' icon was tapped instead of the 'return to home' icon. But then, without any logs or aircraft it is pure speculation. The flight log might still be intact in the device though.
Interesting that DJI are in contact with Samsung to try and resolve the Samsung reboot problem that I've seen mentioned a few times.
2017-1-5
Use props
Dodoisland
lvl.1

Mauritius

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-4 04:30
We feel so sorry to hear about the issue, please sync your flight records through the DJI GO, then send an e-mail to  with your APP account (e-mail address) and the exact time it happened, our engineers will try to help you analyze the data.
Generally speaking, the phone rebooting will not affect remote's function, you could still control it and cancel the landing with remote.
While for the phone rebooting issue, we're communicating with Samsung company recently to locate the issue.

Thankyou will send them an email.
2017-1-6
Use props
jwt-873
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

Dodoisland Posted at 2017-1-4 21:11
The logs were lost with the resetting of the s7

Did you recover the drone?   The P4 also records logs on the MicroSD card.   You can download these logs  using the DJI Assistant 2 program.

Salt water is a killer for electronics, but the card should be intact and readable.   

2017-1-6
Use props
Dodoisland
lvl.1

Mauritius

jwt-873 Posted at 2017-1-6 05:21
Did you recover the drone?   The P4 also records logs on the MicroSD card.   You can download these logs  using the DJI Assistant 2 program.

Salt water is a killer for electronics, but the card should be intact and readable.

Yes I have the MicroSD card, thats how I retrieved the last video.  Where do i find the logs on the card?  
2017-1-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dodoisland Posted at 2017-1-7 02:18
Yes I have the MicroSD card, thats how I retrieved the last video.  Where do i find the logs on the card?

You don't.
They are on another SD card inside the Phantom attached to the main board.
2017-1-7
Use props
Dusty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 154833 ft
Australia

Sorry about ya loss   Video looked good too.. looked like a great place to fly

2017-1-7
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

Even if app crashed, if you disconnected the USB cable you should regain full control via controller. Then RTH would bring the drone back.  The only way she would land by itself is low battery.
The props are highly visible, indicative for max speed. By any chance you were flying in mode s or a?
2017-1-8
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

Maurice Marques Posted at 2017-1-4 08:12

To stop the auto landing you just push the throttle stick up while it lands. It will stop and hover or climb up.
2017-1-8
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Someone should do a video where they unplug the phone/tablet during flight and show how to recover via the controller (Not me!).  Seems to be numerous ways, just not clear while in full-panic mode.

Actually, if the FAA ever required some hands-on flight skills test with these drones I could see an examiner reaching over and pulling the plug to the tablet saying "What'cha gonna do now?"  My flight examiner cut the power on my real plane during my private pilot training and with the final CFI examiner both to see how I'd recover or land sans power (We were directly over an airport on one where I couldn't see beneath me due to low-wing Piper AC blocking my view of it - but he knew it was there.).
2017-1-8
Use props
sky drone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5539019 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I have a Samsung s 7 edge and it also restarts until spans month but that has not stopped itself controls only the transmission of a picture of your phone otherwise works without the phone without a problem
2017-1-8
Use props
Mohawk13th
New

Germany

Today i disconnected my S5 because i couldn't receive a Videosignal.

The P4 was hovering and i was fully able to control my P4.

After reconnection and starting the Go4 App i saw the Video again.

Absolut sorry for your loss !!
2017-1-10
Use props
Hondas3000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5643 ft
Canada

The view is very nice but the landing in water part really hard to watch, its like watching horror movie.
2017-1-10
Use props
keiser08
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dodoisland is your P4 working again after drying it up?
2017-1-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

keiser08 Posted at 2017-1-11 05:14
Dodoisland is your P4 working again after drying it up?

Of course it isn't.
1/10th of a second in sea water is death to electronics.
All you could salvage is the SD card and props.
2017-1-11
Use props
keiser08
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-11 05:35
Of course it isn't.
1/10th of a second in sea water is death to electronics.
All you could salvage is the SD card and props.

My drone fell in the salt water for 3-5 minutes after 2-3 days it was running again. I had it checked and it only needed a 1 motor change but I ask them to change all motors. I've been careful flying it and always away from people or properties for safety. We will see in the long run but it has been 2 months already.
2017-1-12
Use props
Dodoisland
lvl.1

Mauritius

I finally got a reply from dji, they looked at everything and this is what they said. - Hi Jean,   Thanks for your patience.  For your claimed case CAS-399951-K9D9T4, according to the analysts the data offered to us is unreadable. As such, we could not provide warranty service.  We truly appreciate your support for DJI. As consolation, we would like to offer you a 30% off offer on the material cost for the repair fee. If you would like to accept the offer, please reply to my email for example “I accept the offer”.   If you have more information for the analysis, please send it to me.  Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.
2017-2-14
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Dodoisland Posted at 2017-2-14 21:15
I finally got a reply from dji, they looked at everything and this is what they said. - Hi Jean,   Thanks for your patience.  For your claimed case CAS-399951-K9D9T4, according to the analysts the data offered to us is unreadable. As such, we could not provide warranty service.  We truly appreciate your support for DJI. As consolation, we would like to offer you a 30% off offer on the material cost for the repair fee. If you would like to accept the offer, please reply to my email for example “I accept the offer”.   If you have more information for the analysis, please send it to me.  Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Ok what now? dry it out and test it? or send it in for repairs?
2017-2-14
Use props
Kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Dodoisland Posted at 2017-2-14 21:15

send it in, if the price/cost is good for you
you will most likely get a refurb returned to you

good luck
2017-2-14
Use props
Julian Rogers
lvl.1
Australia

Hi, just been flying my phantom 4 and it just dropped out of the sky without disconnecting from phone or any warning, this is the second time it has done this with considerable damage, the last time DJI said it was my fault , how can it be my fault as if you were to turn the remote of it should return home, i am not impressed at all and i will not be taking this lying down they have an issue that needs to be addressed and people should know of this issue, be seeing DJI in the next day or 2 i will keep all informed.
2017-11-14
Use props
Julian Rogers
lvl.1
Australia

Hi, just been flying my phantom 4 and it just dropped out of the sky without disconnecting from phone or any warning, this is the second time it has done this with considerable damage, the last time DJI said it was my fault , how can it be my fault as if you were to turn the remote of it should return home, i am not impressed at all and i will not be taking this lying down they have an issue that needs to be addressed and people should know of this issue, be seeing DJI in the next day or 2 i will keep all informed.
2017-11-14
Use props
Julian Rogers
lvl.1
Australia

if anyone else has had this issue please let me know as im very concerned as if this drone had fallen on someone or a car or house i would be in serious trouble.
2017-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules