Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Any Official Word on Adding Apps to Pro+?
12Next >
3223 43 2017-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gvgeorge
lvl.1
United States

Have we had any clear official word from DJI on an update that will allow adding apps to the Pro+?

Do we, for that matter, have any clear word on the eventual availabilty of GS Pro for Android? Ground Station Pro
2017-1-4
Use props
Fotch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1161 ft
Canada

Yes, They said they are working on GS Pro for P4P+
2017-1-4
Use props
RoadmasterD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 188527 ft
United States

No indication of any other apps though.
2017-1-4
Use props
gvgeorge
lvl.1
United States

Fotch Posted at 2017-1-4 19:02
Yes, They said they are working on GS Pro for P4P+

Thanks, Fotch.

Can you point me to the statement? I've only been able to find reference to the Android app without reference to the Pro+.
2017-1-6
Use props
fansebf92ffe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 107011 ft
Australia

gvgeorge, DJI Joe has advised it is being developed for the P4P+

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 3042&fromuid=477865
2017-1-6
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

RoadmasterD Posted at 2017-1-4 20:09
No indication of any other apps though.

No, not 3rd party apps. If you want to use 3rd party apps, then you would have wanted the P4P that uses the RC that connects to a mobile device instead. If you went in that direction, all you need to do is swap the RC.
2017-1-6
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218087 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-6 20:15
No, not 3rd party apps. If you want to use 3rd party apps, then you would have wanted the P4P that uses the RC that connects to a mobile device instead. If you went in that direction, all you need to do is swap the RC.

Is there some reason this wasn't clearly stated BEFORE people got suckered into spending an extra $300 for what is essentially a very limited android device with lots of brightness?
It has very little system memory and cannot install apps because of additional restrictions added ON TOP of the Android OS. This is a real slap in the face as I cannot remember the last device Android device I purchased that was this limited in functionality. Nor can I recall a development situation where the users were full on prevented from installing apps. This is a security issue as well because we cannot update things like FB, Instagram, Twitter in a timely fashion so I supposed ill just pray there are no vulnerabilities.

2017-1-7
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

Langstonius Posted at 2017-1-7 07:04
Is there some reason this wasn't clearly stated BEFORE people got suckered into spending an extra $300 for what is essentially a very limited android device with lots of brightness?
It has very little system memory and cannot install apps because of additional restrictions added ON TOP of the Android OS. This is a real slap in the face as I cannot remember the last device Android device I purchased that was this limited in functionality. Nor can I recall a development situation where the users were full on prevented from installing apps. This is a security issue as well because we cannot update things like FB, Instagram, Twitter in a timely fashion so I supposed ill just pray there are no vulnerabilities.

100% agree with this post!
2017-1-7
Use props
Con Seannery
lvl.1

United States

No one was suckered into this. I did some basic research before purchasing and easily found out that DJI had planned to cripple their built in display. It was also easy to find out it was basically an underpowered cheap Chinese $79 Android mini tablet that DJI upmarked because of a brighter screen. Any decent phone leaves it in the dust.

This was all very easy to find out, thus I purchased the regular P4P model and with my iPhone 7+ I run Litchi like a pro and everything runs great. Not only that, but I'd rather trust Apple with the design of a mobile device rather than DJI who has a history of releasing bugs and not fixing them in a timely fashion. This was all very easy to figure out prior to blowing money on a more expensive crippled RC, so you only have yourself to blame.
2017-1-7
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Con Seannery Posted at 2017-1-7 08:39
No one was suckered into this. I did some basic research before purchasing and easily found out that DJI had planned to cripple their built in display. It was also easy to find out it was basically an underpowered cheap Chinese $79 Android mini tablet that DJI upmarked because of a brighter screen. Any decent phone leaves it in the dust.

This was all very easy to find out, thus I purchased the regular P4P model and with my iPhone 7+ I run Litchi like a pro and everything runs great. Not only that, but I'd rather trust Apple with the design of a mobile device rather than DJI who has a history of releasing bugs and not fixing them in a timely fashion. This was all very easy to figure out prior to blowing money on a more expensive crippled RC, so you only have yourself to blame.

Where was this 'easily found' ? Certainly not in the product description?

2017-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-1-7
Use props
Con Seannery
lvl.1

United States

2017-1-7
Use props
Con Seannery
lvl.1

United States

And I have no idea what Hallmark is talking about. I'm simply saying that DJI isn't fixing the high wind warning that over 20 others are complaining about.
2017-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

2017-1-7
Use props
Con Seannery
lvl.1

United States

2017-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

2017-1-7
Use props
jetforce
lvl.4
Denmark

Con Seannery Posted at 2017-1-7 11:41
And I have no idea what Hallmark is talking about. I'm simply saying that DJI isn't fixing the high wind warning that over 20 others are complaining about.

Take it easy, I`m sure DJI will fix all problems.
They have done so the 5-6 years I have used there products.

But I`m also sure that DJI wont stand straight just because you are complaining in almost all your replies and all of your 3 posts.

You were even asked to change your Avatar by Mindy, I dont know why, but there must be a good reason.
2017-1-7
Use props
Con Seannery
lvl.1

United States

2017-1-7
Use props
jetforce
lvl.4
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-7 12:14
“I know it's important to do more than just complain when there's something you don't like. You need to try to do something about it, or you're nothing but a whiner.”

true words.
2017-1-7
Use props
MHM1170
lvl.3

United States

2017-1-7
Use props
Con Seannery
lvl.1

United States

2017-1-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Langstonius Posted at 2017-1-7 07:04

I don't believe anyone was 'suckered' into gettting the built in screen when one already knew that they would be using 3rd party apps. This is directly from the P4P FAQ under the Remote Controller section:
P4P RC FAQ.JPG

It does not even mention that it will be made available in the future. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. isn't installed onto the tablet, so any updates would be based on your account information instead of their respective apps anyway. This tablet is integrated into the RC's hardware and Go4 app software specifically and it just happens to run on an Android OS. It's not your run of the mill tablet that's detachable where it can serve any other purpose besides flying your unit via the Go4 app, thus there is no need for the tablet to have access to an app store.

If you want to load up on apps, flying apps or otherwise, again, the standard P4P RC would be the best thing to use. This  also gives you the option to use a bigger screen than what's provided with the P4P+ RC.
2017-1-10
Use props
P4P+
lvl.4
United States

Langstonius Posted at 2017-1-7 10:06

It is on the DJI website. In my opinion the P4P+ is a better option than the P4P. The extra cost is for the way it is integrated and tuned for the Phantom, not for the cost of a cell phone. There is very little lag and such an elegant package. It also eliminates fail points that can occur when other non DJI apps are loaded to a non-dedicated device.
2017-1-10
Use props
fans705464bb
First Officer
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

In retrospect I would rather DJI release their own small Android tablet for drones with an extra bright screen. I do like the idea of the daylight visible screen though.
2017-1-10
Use props
sharkfoot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 511640 ft
United States

I would expect that with some patience, all this will be resolved. DJI is certainly aware of the interest in being able to use apps with CrystalSky and I imagine they are working something out.
2017-1-10
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-10 12:10
I don't believe anyone was 'suckered' into gettting the built in screen when one already knew that they would be using 3rd party apps. This is directly from the P4P FAQ under the Remote Controller section:
[view_image]

I guess we have different perspectives. I dont expect something that says 'pro' on it to actually be of less quality and functionality than a basic consumer device at WalMart. Lesson learned: DJI is still quite new at this and doesnt really have a clue about marketing. or has a rather dubious marketing dept. Either way, thanks for letting me know that while every other 'pro' product is quite clear about its capabilities, I should always check to see what caveats DJI is going to place in an FAQ (because even though there is this whole product description page with fancy pictures, it wasnt important enough to include there and consumers should treat it like a black box, scouring the net for information)
'It's not your run of the mill tablet that's detachable where it can serve any other purpose besides flying your unit via the Go4 app, thus there is no need for the tablet to have access to an app store.'

Yes, its connected to the RC. Did nobody at DJI know that users commonly run other applications besides DJI go? Especially *cough* professionals?
Which makes me wonder why the Mavic Pro has 'Pro' connected to it. Pro generally means 'better than consumer grade' but im guessing this only applied to the aircraft and not the RC

I wish i could pass this sort of BS off on my clients ...
2017-1-11
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

P4P+ Posted at 2017-1-10 12:40
It is on the DJI website. In my opinion the P4P+ is a better option than the P4P. The extra cost is for the way it is integrated and tuned for the Phantom, not for the cost of a cell phone. There is very little lag and such an elegant package. It also eliminates fail points that can occur when other non DJI apps are loaded to a non-dedicated device.

The number of times the DJI go apps crashes sorta disproves the reliability theory. More than once ive found myself hovering while restarting the RC because the app crashed. So this whole argument of stability is nil.

Happy you are pleased. I know i sound like a squeaky wheel, but im actually very happy with my Phantom 4 Pro, minus this thing because its maddening to me as I see no real reason for it.
2017-1-11
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-10 12:10
[view_image]

https://goo.gl/photos/MG8pRgN9a6kF9FaaA

These apps were pre-installed on the tablet. So maybe ask someone why they are there? Its like they are toying with me...

'here are three popular apps you can never update!!'
2017-1-11
Use props
P4P+
lvl.4
United States

Langstonius Posted at 2017-1-11 08:11
The number of times the DJI go apps crashes sorta disproves the reliability theory. More than once ive found myself hovering while restarting the RC because the app crashed. So this whole argument of stability is nil.

Happy you are pleased. I know i sound like a squeaky wheel, but im actually very happy with my Phantom 4 Pro, minus this thing because its maddening to me as I see no real reason for it.

Mine hasn't crashed so far (knock on wood).
2017-1-11
Use props
P4P+
lvl.4
United States

Langstonius Posted at 2017-1-11 08:11

Mine hasn't crashed so far (knock on wood)
2017-1-11
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.3
United States

Langstonius Posted at 2017-1-7 10:06

Man that reply you got was uncalled for!  I have been following this and because i'm about to purchase a P4 Pro or P4 Pro Plus I did give the Plus serious consideration thinking it might give me a good idea what the CS monitor would be like. I have no problem with it doing one job if it does it well, at least for now.                   I fly my P3P with a dedicated 9.7" ipad pro wifi+cellular so I can always get a P4P controller if I really dislike the plus.  Other than it being limited to Dji-go how does it function? I don't think i'll ever call it a mistake but i'm sure it would have to be real impressive for me to pick it over my ipad pro.  If you read this far thanks!
2017-1-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Langstonius Posted at 2017-1-11 08:27
https://goo.gl/photos/MG8pRgN9a6kF9FaaA

These apps were pre-installed on the tablet. So maybe ask someone why they are there? Its like they are toying with me...

I do apologize for the initial information, they are preinstalled programs. They can, however, be updated manually when you check each app's configuration itself.
(Edit) For instance, to get where you can update Facebook, you would log in, go to settings and then select 'update Facebook'. You will then see how out of date it is and select the option to update.
2017-1-19
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-19 14:49
I do apologize for the initial information, they are preinstalled programs. They can, however, be updated manually when you check each app's configuration itself.

If they can be updated why do they say there is no update when they are clearly older versions?
2017-1-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

trance728- Posted at 2017-1-19 15:04
If they can be updated why do they say there is no update when they are clearly older versions?

I edited my last post to provide an example of how to update.
2017-1-19
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-19 15:07
I edited my last post to provide an example of how to update.

Have you successfully done that? When I go into Facebook the update tells me my version is 9 months out of date. Then I click to update it and it takes me to the web browser version of the Play Store with no ability to do any kind of update.

There is no in app update that I could find for Instagram and I know that's out of date as well.

And lastly the DJI GO4 app is out of date even though it claims its the current version.
2017-1-19
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I purchased my pro+ simply because i didnt want to use a seperate screen. That alone is a great plus for me. Im happy and im not experiencing any screen crashing. But as a professional i can understand you would need access to more apps and im sure DJI will soon have a fix.
2017-1-19
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

As much as I'd love to have the ability to attach my phone for other app use or have them allow 3rd party apps, I'd just be happy to be able to update anything on this.

This "tablet" is locked down way too much. They will not be able to have any of these apps update without access to the Play Store. Maybe that's the reason we haven't seen an update yet because they can't figure out how to allows us to update apps without including the Play Store which would then allow us to install other apps.
2017-1-19
Use props
petesafishin
New
United States

Agreed with Langstonius.  I chatted with pre-sales prior to purchase and was aware about 3rd party, but was assured that no DJI compatibility / functionality would be missed.  GS Pro is a pretty big miss for commercial applications....  It does seem DJI might take care and do a refund / exchange, but it has taken about 12 hours of my time and a very frustrating process though.
2017-1-19
Use props
XoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94738 ft
Romania

trance728- Posted at 2017-1-19 16:18
As much as I'd love to have the ability to attach my phone for other app use or have them allow 3rd party apps, I'd just be happy to be able to update anything on this.

This "tablet" is locked down way too much. They will not be able to have any of these apps update without access to the Play Store. Maybe that's the reason we haven't seen an update yet because they can't figure out how to allows us to update apps without including the Play Store which would then allow us to install other apps.

In my opinion it's quite simple for DJI to update app without access to Play Store but this means a lot of coding .... when one of the preinstalled apps gets updated in Play Store, they just insert it in the firmware and release an update but probably this means one update per week at least .

In my oppinion, we paid for the hardware so it's up to us what we want to do with it so they should leave it opened and let us do whatever we want (of course with the warning of loosing warranty if something happens to the hardware due to 3rd party or non supported official apps... ).
2017-1-19
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I already bought another RC. Pained me, but it is what it is. Ive been caught by the fine print. I would just HOPE that this gets back to whoever makes engineering decisions at DJI. This is not an auto system with access to canbus (where oddly this restriction doesnt exist). This is not an IFE based system. Its billed as a 'Pro' system. I was a little harsh @DJI-Jaime even though its likely not his fault for the choice or architecture they went with, and to be honest I some what understand. You cant support every android app out there and there are a lot of moving pieces to make sure you degrade gracefully. Maybe they didnt have time to get it done right. I mean, they make freaking gps positioned flying machines, so i hardly think its a question of competency. But I've personally seen bringing a custom android system to market be quite the painful process and many desired goals can be missed with constricted timelines.

Moral of the story, tell whoever is in charge to not do this!
Cheers.
2017-1-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules