P3 Advance--won't take off
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
b barris
lvl.2
United States

Hi all,
I have a P3 Advance that recently has been a bit moody about getting ready for flying.  I usually have to power it on and off a couple of times before it gives me the green light that it is ready.  This morning when I got it ready and tried to take off, it was completely unresponsive.  I was getting video, and the camera would move when I told it to, so the connection to the controller seemed fine.  Has anyone ever experienced this problem and might have any hint as to what's wrong and what to do?  (I have not upgraded the firmware, on the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it theory, but maybe I need to do that...)
Thanks,

Brian

2017-1-5
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Is the led on the RC red or green?

have you tried using CSC to start the motors?

2017-1-5
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try calibrating the RC.
2017-1-5
Use props
T3rdEye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 221844 ft
United States

Are you getting the message "read to Fly" on your app?  Is it not warmed up?
Could you show us a screen shot please.

2017-1-5
Use props
bluemarley67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

hey Brian try to calibrate the IMU on a perfectly flat and level surface then calibrate the controller (sticks) and finally recalibrate the compass on the aircraft. hope this helps and fixes your issues. Happy flying!
2017-1-5
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

What does the app say? Any warning messages?   We need more info.
2017-1-5
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

The IMU needs time to warm up and the initial launch can appear to take longer than anticipated.
2017-1-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Brian, may I know have you got it sorted out? You tried both CSC and auto takeoff button, but it makes no sense?
2017-1-6
Use props
b barris
lvl.2
United States

Hi all, Sorry for not responding earlier!  I appreciate all the replies.  I didn't have a chance to fly again until yesterday, when I went to a site I've flown at many times, and the same thing happened!  So, I quickly downloaded and installed the GO app (I usually use our SkyTubeLive app, see www.skytubelive.com, we are looking for beta testers, by the way!).  It gave me notes about upgrading the firmware on both drone and controller, but said I was good to fly.  So I tried it again, and when I tried to lift off it said the battery was too cold!  Agh.  I keep my drone in the trunk of my car, and live in Central New York, where it is WAAAY below the 15C that it says you have to have.  Luckily I had a few other batteries that had been in my house, and I was able to swap one in, and it took off totally fine!

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Now, here is a link to the video that I took as I was testing it, and finally flying (the flight is short, because the battery I had hadn't been charged for a while, so it was down to ~50% when I first put it in).
http://skytubelive.com/map/flight.php?f=975
The actual flight starts at ~16:30 into the video there.

SkyTubeLive is an android app that enables you to easily live stream your flights to our site, and our site has a convenient map-based interface that allows anyone to easily find your stream.  We're looking for beta testers, so if you are interested please contact us through the site via info@skytubelive.com!
We offer SkyTubeLive stickers to anyone who signs up to be a beta tester, and a SkyTubeLive hat to anyone who streams 3 videos to the site.  Find out more, including "what's in it for me?" at our site, including here:  http://skytubelive.com/map/blog/
2017-1-26
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

b barris Posted at 2017-1-26 10:31
Hi all, Sorry for not responding earlier!  I appreciate all the replies.  I didn't have a chance to fly again until yesterday, when I went to a site I've flown at many times, and the same thing happened!  So, I quickly downloaded and installed the GO app (I usually use our SkyTubeLive app, see www.skytubelive.com, we are looking for beta testers, by the way!).  It gave me notes about upgrading the firmware on both drone and controller, but said I was good to fly.  So I tried it again, and when I tried to lift off it said the battery was too cold!  Agh.  I keep my drone in the trunk of my car, and live in Central New York, where it is WAAAY below the 15C that it says you have to have.  Luckily I had a few other batteries that had been in my house, and I was able to swap one in, and it took off totally fine!

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Is this anything more than an advert ?
2017-1-26
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well if you were using a working app - it would have told you the battery was too cold - A none story!! - Just a cheap product plug -
2017-1-26
Use props
b barris
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-1-26 10:51
Is this anything more than an advert ?

It's an update on my problem, plus a plug for our app.  Not trying to pull anything over on anyone.  
2017-1-26
Use props
b barris
lvl.2
United States

SimonH78 Posted at 2017-1-26 11:38
Well if you were using a working app - it would have told you the battery was too cold - A none story!! - Just a cheap product plug -

Happy Flying to you!
2017-1-26
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks - faultless using DJI Go app latest vers with latest firmware - Maybe if more of the people HAPPY shouted as loud as the chaps with issues.
2017-1-26
Use props
agkuz84
New
United States

Hi all,

I know this is an old post but wanted to share anyway.

I just had this issue with my P3 Standard. Could not get it to take off to save my life. It would rev and rev and rev at about half power and vibrate around a bit. Occasionally it would try to lift off, but would bounce back down. One time I actually got it to lift off, but was uncontrollable...it circled around a few feet and crashed in the grass. Recalibrated the IMU, recalibrated the compass, recalibrated the sticks, made sure firmware was up to date. Nothing.

Turns out Occam's Razor was in play here. I had a broken prop. Just slight enough not to be noticed, but enough that the drone apparently knew enough not to lift off, since it was producing unbalanced lift. Replaced my props, and she's good as new. Turns out I was missing about 3/4 inch of one prop. Not sure how I didn't notice that, but I sure as heck won't see past it again.

Just wanted to share this in case anybody is referencing this post for a similar problem.
2018-10-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yeah when I read the second paragraph, I was thinking the Phantom knew something you didn't.  I was thinking the IMU was hosed.  

On the P1s through P3s, it's a good idea to loosen and tighten each of the four props before every flight.  If you had done that, maybe you'd have noticed the tip of the one prop was broken off.

Thanks for posting.
2018-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules