Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
places in phoenix area to fly
10356 10 2017-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eliot may
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

heading to phoenix for vaca. Gonna be in avondale area in south west part of phoenix. Does anybody have an idea where I might fly to get some good footage?

2017-1-5
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

Unfortunately, most of the Phoenix metro is pretty much covered by airport 5 mile radii. There is a dogbone shaped area extending from Phoenix Skyharbor that the FAA has set as an absolute "No Fly" zone. There isn't even a provision to notify Air Traffic Control. You'll probably need to head out of town to find an open area that is legal to fly. Between smaller airports, Luke AFB, and heliports, the city itself is shaded on the B4UFLY app from the FAA.

North of Phoenix, you can get to the Black Canyon area. Southeast is Casa Grande (which looks open for flying on the FAA app). West of the city, there are some craggy mountains that might be far enough from airports to fly, and could make interesting video subjects. Lake Pleasant is a Regional Park, so not under the blanket "no drones" rule of either the State or National Parks. I'm not sure how rule R116 on the Maricopa County Parks page might apply, though.

http://www.maricopacountyparks.n ... hours-of-operation/

2017-1-5
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

By the way, where are you coming from? If you're driving in, Arizona has a LOT of incredible scenery to enjoy, both from the ground and with our Phantoms.

We're in Tucson, but went up to Phoenix last week for the Trans Siberian Orchestra concert. I had my Phantom with me, but didn't get anywhere that I could fly it. We drove up the day before the concert and stayed in a motel for the night, and had we arrived earlier, I might have taken a drive out to Apache Junction. I think the Goldfield Ghost Town is outside of any airport zones, and would likely have been closed on Christmas Day, so no issues with flying over crowds. You might check that area out as well. While you can't fly in Lost Dutchman State Park, just a short ways beyond the ghost town, there is still some incredible scenery out that way.

http://goldfieldghosttown.com/
2017-1-6
Use props
eliot may
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

Good advice! We are flying in. Will look into those sites.
2017-1-6
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Hoomi Posted at 2017-1-5 16:54
Unfortunately, most of the Phoenix metro is pretty much covered by airport 5 mile radii. There is a dogbone shaped area extending from Phoenix Skyharbor that the FAA has set as an absolute "No Fly" zone. There isn't even a provision to notify Air Traffic Control. You'll probably need to head out of town to find an open area that is legal to fly. Between smaller airports, Luke AFB, and heliports, the city itself is shaded on the B4UFLY app from the FAA.

North of Phoenix, you can get to the Black Canyon area. Southeast is Casa Grande (which looks open for flying on the FAA app). West of the city, there are some craggy mountains that might be far enough from airports to fly, and could make interesting video subjects. Lake Pleasant is a Regional Park, so not under the blanket "no drones" rule of either the State or National Parks. I'm not sure how rule R116 on the Maricopa County Parks page might apply, though.

Lake Pleasant prohibits drones too BUT!! There is hope! I was able to fly at Bartlett Lake (East of Carefree NE of Phoenix) with the rangers blessings. Also check out Sklyline Regional Park. There are no rules posted there and I was able to fly and even had a group of people gather and educated them a little bit on drones! It was awesome!!
2017-1-6
Use props
Charlie Phanto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102703 ft
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-1-6 16:29
Lake Pleasant prohibits drones too  BUT!! There is hope! I was able to fly at Bartlett Lake (East of Carefree NE of Phoenix) with the rangers blessings. Also check out Sklyline Regional Park. There are no rules posted there and I was able to fly and even had a group of people gather and educated them a little bit on drones! It was awesome!!

Lake Pleasant is good if you go to a remote location.

2017-8-21
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Charlie  Phanto Posted at 2017-8-21 14:25
Lake Pleasant is good if you go to a remote location.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V88gWcEFh1Q

Nice looking place!
2017-8-21
Use props
drewaz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 99163 ft
United States

take a drive to Sedona.  I was under the impression that the entire area was no fly but I called the airport and was told they discourage flying but ...  I filled out the online notification and flew on the Tea Cup trail.  It was pretty incredible.  
2017-8-21
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

drewaz Posted at 2017-8-21 21:39
take a drive to Sedona.  I was under the impression that the entire area was no fly but I called the airport and was told they discourage flying but ...  I filled out the online notification and flew on the Tea Cup trail.  It was pretty incredible.

Where is the online notification form located please? Thanks
2018-12-18
Use props
Michael Kemper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1709583 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bing Err Posted at 12-18 18:42
Where is the online notification form located please? Thanks

https://sedonaairport.org/uas-uav-notice/
2018-12-19