1948 19 2017-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

This question might seem mute to those of you that has purchased the Mavic and is enjoying its preformance as it relates to quality of flight, video and pictures but I am on the fence here and need some honest opinions.   

I have had a P4 since it came out last March and has literally enjoyed it in every regard.  Knock on wood I have never had any issues with it, and the thing just literally blows me away with its performance and especially its video and picture quality, which is why I purchased it.  The success of my P4 purchase has a lot to do with why I have not pushed the purchase button on the Mavic, but to be honest, I am also hesitant because of the amount of issues I continue to read about regarding the small drone.  I am much aware of all of the positive traits of the Mavic, especially the portability factor but after I remove that (very important) factor from the equation the remaining qualities appear to be inferior to the P4 that I already own.  To name a few: the camera appears to be of equal or less quaility than the P4; tap to focus; cannot record 1080P at 60fps; less capable in strong winds; low ground clearance and some others.  Then there is the multitude of issues that I keep reading about on this forum, such as sideways flights; landing issues, etc.  

I know the decision is mine to make but to someone that has owned and utilized the mavic for a while, I seek an honest answer to this question: considering my phlight; do you feel like you should have waited for the 2nd Mavic?
2017-1-6
Use props
fai58
lvl.3
Flight distance : 104439 ft
United States

The main benefit of mavic is really portability other than that, there isn't really anything which is better than P4.  It is a matter if you need to travel lightweight but still be able to capture aerial footage.  If 60fps is a must, then I wouldn't get the mavic and wait for the mavic 2 which hopefully will have 60fps
2017-1-6
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

JMHO:

"the camera appears to be of equal or less quaility than the P4" - As far as I know, the camera specs are equal to (and video appears at least as good as) the P4

"tap to focus" - Is now optional, as the software continually auto-focuses the camera.  (Something I GREATLY appreciate)

"cannot record 1080P at 60fps" - I haven't tried this.  I have recorded exclusively in 4K, so it hasn't been something I have missed, if it is not capable of doing it.

"less capable in strong winds" - I would disagree.  The Mavic has a lower side profile and has less to be "pushed" against.  I have had it up in some windier conditions and I receive the warnings to be careful, but it flies and records like a pro.

"low ground clearance" - True, and there are several simple solutions, from ad-on stilts to just carrying a simple landing pad.  I chose a landing pad to keep debris from the ground to a minimum.  It stores in a 10" diameter case.  This "low ground clearance" is also what helps make it so portable.

"Then there is the multitude of issues that I keep reading about on this forum" - People complain WAY more than they compliment.  When things work, people spend their time enjoying them, not taking breaks to go and tell their friends and strangers how well things are going.  So, if you take into account that people will complain FAR more than they will praise, then add to that the number of people who don't read the manual, don't follow common sense, and fly the Mavic like it is an idiot-proof, bullet-proof consumer toy, you get a good idea of the bias that is seen on the forum.

The Mavic has some issues.  Roll-out sucked, there are some bad copies that were sent to buyers, the firmware could have been better to start with and is still not as good as it should be, and we have yet to see ALL the potential issues that may have to be addressed by DJI with regard to the Mavic.  So, if you are willing to carry around your P4 (and the considerable size) just to ease your conscience, then I would do it.  

The Mavic is BRAND NEW and, just like any other BRAND NEW tech, it will have some growing pains.  The P4 built on the P3, but the Mavic was designed new from the ground up.  However, if you can appreciate how incredibly convenient the Mavic is to travel with, how easy it is to fly, how stabile it is in the air (in my experience, it appears to be more stabile than the P4) and accept that it is a small percentage of Mavics that are having issues, then I suspect you would be just fine upgrading to the Mavic.  If you buy the Mavic, buy the DJI Refresh, give it a thorough testing as soon as you get it and then enjoy your new (better) camera platform.

Again, JMHO.
2017-1-6
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

I'm not a 'drone guy' in general, so I did not feel comfortable with the added size and noise of the Phantom line.  More than the portability of the Mavic it's the discreteness that makes it a must-have tool for me.

Should I have waited for #2?  No, for two reasons:

1) The above desire to attract as little attention as possible made this the only choice in the DJI line for me.  I tried the Breeze as a similar form factor, but it's a toy by comparison.  The photo/video quality isn't a tenth of what the Mavic delivers
2) People say that the best camera you have is the one that you bring with you.  I agree, but with aerial photography I think it goes one step further - it's the camera you have with you and that you're willing to risk to get the best shots.  With that said, when the Mavic 2 comes out (and I will buy it) at that point my original Mavic will become an even better camera, because the fear of loss or damage will go down for me, and I'll get even better shots.

May seem strange for some that aren't as risk-averse as me, but that's how I see it.
2017-1-6
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

I sold my P4 in favour of a Mavic and I don't regret it.
2017-1-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

P4 is a completely different aircraft than Mavic, you ask if we should have waited for M2 same question to you should you have waited for P4Pro.
It's all relative, I have had the Mavic for a month or so I previously owned a P4 and also own a P4Pro, the Mavic is truly a great aircraft to fly it does everything it says on the tin and a lot more, it's steady fast and very responsive. Does it take good photos of course it does but the more you know about photography the better your images are and the same can be said of video.
You can so easy get Mavic up in the air and your off you go , and for its weight and size it handles wind with ease, and it's 9' x 7' carrier bag you will bring it everywhere you go,
Comparing it with P4 yes if you understand photography and settings on cameras there is very little difference,
Comparing it to P4Pro you can't it's a totally different aircraft and a totally different camera.

Problems with Mavic, it has no more no less problems than when P4 was released, when you come on a forum like this you will read about every little niggle a lot of inexperienced people flying  and new people impatient and not willing to put a little effort into learning how to treat or fly these aircraft,  believe me there are many more flying Mavic with no problems .
2017-1-6
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I appreciate the fact that none of you guys tried to 'beat me up" regarding an answer to my question!  You answered in honest and professional terms and now I feel better about what I need to do.  To return honesty with honesty, I now feel better about getting off the fence and purchasing the Mavic.  You know how it is; sometimes you just need to hear real answers from a direct question!  Take care all!  
2017-1-6
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-6 08:28
P4 is a completely different aircraft than Mavic, you ask if we should have waited for M2 same question to you should you have waited for P4Pro.
It's all relative, I have had the Mavic for a month or so I previously owned a P4 and also own a P4Pro, the Mavic is truly a great aircraft to fly it does everything it says on the tin and a lot more, it's steady fast and very responsive. Does it take good photos of course it does but the more you know about photography the better your images are and the same can be said of video.
You can so easy get Mavic up in the air and your off you go , and for its weight and size it handles wind with ease, and it's 9' x 7' carrier bag you will bring it everywhere you go,

I totally agree with hallmark007.
2017-1-6
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

If i had a P4 and was happy with it, i would stick with that, the mavic offers portability over the P4 but not much else really ... that said, i wouldnt have bought a P4 i wouldnt buy the P4 pro either. I hate the form factor of the phantom (I had a P1.1.1) but i know they fly well.

Hallmark is right with the horror stories, you will only hear negatives really on a forum .. and noob mistakes. There are hundreds of thousands of mavics out there, and a few issues crop up on the forum so dont let that put you off if you do decide to get one.
2017-1-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The camera in your P4 is just a tab better.
The main feature of the Mavic is the portability. If that's not a big deal to you then just keep flying your P4. Or if you want a massive step up in camera quality then go for the P4P.
As far as user complaints, outs of all the Mavics out there a few are experiencing something. But that is what the warranty is for.
The Mavic is an absolute incredible aircraft and I've been flying one for several months and have not had any issues at all.
2017-1-6
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess at some point you need to decide and just jump in to the water. I have the P3P, P4 and Mavic and they all are great drones. If I were just starting today and want the portability of a small drone, I would not hesitate in purchasing the Mavic Pro. I do not see any down side of owning the Mavic and would purchase it again.

Like Ken said, very few are having trouble and if they do, you have a warranty to fix it.

Rich
2017-1-6
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-1-6 10:20
I guess at some point you need to decide and just jump in to the water. I have the P3P, P4 and Mavic and they all are great drones. If I were just starting today and want the portability of a small drone, I would not hesitate in purchasing the Mavic Pro. I do not see any down side of owning the Mavic and would purchase it again.

Like Ken said, very few are having trouble and if they do, you have a warranty to fix it.

Thanks Ken and RichJ53!  
2017-1-6
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the p4 and the mavic and I generally always choose the Mavic over the p4.  Its more fun to fly and way more portable.  The video of both are really good especially with filters. I think you will love the Mavic.  
2017-1-6
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

I'm new to drones but have some experience with r/c helicopters. The Mavic is sensational, but I guess the P4 is too. I have a warranty issue with the Mavic over the camera having an internal problem with the camera causing degradation to the produced image. It looks like it has a problem within the lens of the camera that is causing a poor image quality when on the rare occasion I get a sunny day, any footage made at an oblique angle to the sun shows up as blotches in the resulting footage caused by mould infestation within the lens. This has only become apparent to me lately as there has been little opportunity to fly due to inclement weather, short day light hours and work commitments. I would advise you to stick with what you have, and enjoy the pleasure of flying an incredible drone that can capture great images and videos. we all want the next best thing, but surely you have all you need in the P4. Wait at least a couple of generations before moving on, unless portability is an issue or money is no object. I love my Mavic pro, and am reticent to send it back as its works really well and has made me awestruck by the technology it packs. Good luck with your decision, and all the very best to you and other members for 2017.
2017-1-6
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-1-6 12:07
I'm new to drones but have some experience with r/c helicopters. The Mavic is sensational, but I guess the P4 is too. I have a warranty issue with the Mavic over the camera having an internal problem with the camera causing degradation to the produced image. It looks like it has a problem within the lens of the camera that is causing a poor image quality when on the rare occasion I get a sunny day, any footage made at an oblique angle to the sun shows up as blotches in the resulting footage caused by mould infestation within the lens. This has only become apparent to me lately as there has been little opportunity to fly due to inclement weather, short day light hours and work commitments. I would advise you to stick with what you have, and enjoy the pleasure of flying an incredible drone that can capture great images and videos. we all want the next best thing, but surely you have all you need in the P4. Wait at least a couple of generations before moving on, unless portability is an issue or money is no object. I love my Mavic pro, and am reticent to send it back as its works really well and has made me awestruck by the technology it packs. Good luck with your decision, and all the very best to you and other members for 2017.

Thank you rick39 for your honesty.  Money is an object but portability is a factor.  
2017-1-6
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-1-6 11:19
Thanks Ken and RichJ53!

Stuart

You are welcome and the best of luck with your decision!  I really think you would like the Mavic, I flew my Mavic today in the cold and snow (18* outside). It worked perfectly, had it up at 400 feet and about 10 minutes .. the battery said I had 14 min to go, but my hands were numb.

The local news and paper posted my Inspire 1 video showing the record showfall in our area.

Pretty cool
https://www.skypixel.com/videos/ ... ;utm_campaign=share

Rich
2017-1-6
Use props
xiaohong
lvl.2
Flight distance : 52999 ft
Singapore

In my opinion which may not be the same as most people:

- P1 to P4 chassis generally looks the same with new curvier designs with the P4 (although the P4P now is so much better with features)

- Mavic Pro is basically owning a Aventador in the 1800s

That's how i would summarize it.
2017-1-7
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-1-6 18:46
Stuart

You are welcome and the best of luck with your decision!  I really think you would like the Mavic, I flew my Mavic today in the cold and snow (18* outside). It worked perfectly, had it up at 400 feet and about 10 minutes .. the battery said I had 14 min to go, but my hands were numb.

Thanks; liked the video-looks like a winter wonderland!
2017-1-7
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

xiaohong Posted at 2017-1-7 02:20

- P1 to P4 chassis generally looks the same with new curvier designs with the P4 (although the P4P now is so much better with features)

Thanks: do you use the 1800 period Aventador (car I think) in a positive manner or do you mean it is backwards?
2017-1-7
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

xiaohong Posted at 2017-1-7 02:20

I understand you example now-took me a minute.  Not enough coffee yet-thanks!
2017-1-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules