FAA Regulation Question
1869 16 2017-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sparky Flyer
lvl.1

United States

I was thinking of taking some long exposure shots of cars with my P3S, but I can't find any FAA (I live in the US) regulations regarding distance from cars. Is their any?
2017-1-6
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Will you be flying over cars and/or large crowds of people? If not, then you should be OK.
2017-1-6
Use props
Microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Pretty much do not fly over crowds, buildings, busy traffic areas and what not.
But say you were flying to the side of a road and not above, then really the FAA would not come after you.

If you think you might hurt someone/something, then don't fly there.

So many grey areas.
Quick Facts

• Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport and control tower before flying within five miles of an airport or heliport. (Read about best practices here)
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).

2017-1-6
Use props
Jetpilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70748 ft
United States

I assume from the description that you are flying at night.  Are you getting compensated for the shots? Are you flying under Part 107 license or 333? If for compensation, do you possess a waiver for night operations?
2017-1-6
Use props
Jetpilot
lvl.2
United States

Here is the catch all that will get you if anything happens.

§107.23   Hazardous operation.
No person may:
(a) Operate a small unmanned aircraft system in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another; or
(b) Allow an object to be dropped from a small unmanned aircraft in a manner that creates an undue hazard to persons or property.
2017-1-6
Use props
Sparky Flyer
lvl.1

United States

Jetpilot Posted at 2017-1-6 14:15
I assume from the description that you are flying at night.  Are you getting compensated for the shots? Are you flying under Part 107 license or 333? If for compensation, do you possess a waiver for night operations?

Part 107. I thought that allowed you to fly at night???
2017-1-6
Use props
Sparky Flyer
lvl.1

United States

I will do what you guys suggested. Thanks!
2017-1-6
Use props
Jetpilot
lvl.2
United States

Sparky Flyer Posted at 2017-1-6 18:51

That would be a BIG Negative.  If you want to fly at night under part 107 you must apply to the FAA (And receive) and exemption to:

§FAR107.29   Daylight operation.
(a) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during night.
(b) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles. The remote pilot in command may reduce the intensity of the anti-collision lighting if he or she determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to do so.
(c) For purposes of paragraph (b) of this section, civil twilight refers to the following:
(1) Except for Alaska, a period of time that begins 30 minutes before official sunrise and ends at official sunrise;
(2) Except for Alaska, a period of time that begins at official sunset and ends 30 minutes after official sunset; and
(3) In Alaska, the period of civil twilight as defined in the Air Almanac
2017-1-6
Use props
Sparky Flyer
lvl.1

United States

Jetpilot Posted at 2017-1-6 22:04
That would be a BIG Negative.  If you want to fly at night under part 107 you must apply to the FAA (And receive) and exemption to:

How can I get this exemption? Thanks for all your help.
2017-1-7
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
Flight distance : 218087 ft
  • >>>
United States

You already passed the part 107 exam? All of these topics would have been covered...
2017-1-7
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

Sparky Flyer Posted at 2017-1-6 18:51

With a part 107 Certificate you can only fly 30 minutes after and before twilight with the appropriate lights.
2017-1-7
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
United States

Sparky Flyer Posted at 2017-1-7 05:58

File for a waiver with the FAA.  Allow a couple months....

You are part 107 Certified...right!  Does not sound like it.
2017-1-7
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
United States

Sparky Flyer Posted at 2017-1-7 05:58

This attorney has gotten a bunch of waivers for other pilots.  http://jrupprechtlaw.com/contact-us
2017-1-7
Use props
Sparky Flyer
lvl.1

United States

I am part 107 certificated, but I couldn't find any regulations regarding cars, hence this thread.

Jet Pilot had said that I need a exemption to fly at night, but I do not need to fly for more then thirty minutes.

So I don't need to get anything?
2017-1-8
Use props
RicknCovington
lvl.2
Flight distance : 186322 ft
United States

Sparky Flyer Posted at 2017-1-8 05:41
I am part 107 certificated, but I couldn't find any regulations regarding cars, hence this thread.

Jet Pilot had said that I need a exemption to fly at night, but I do not need to fly for more then thirty minutes.

I think you're not understanding the dark and 30 minutes....it means, you cannot fly more than 30 minutes before the official sunrise time, or more than 30 minutes after official sunset.  Which means, if sunrise is at 6:30am, then you cannot be in the air before 6:00am.  If sunset is at 7:00pm, then you cannot be in the air after 7:30pm.  If you would like to fly before that sunrise window or after the sunset time window, then you would need to apply for a waiver from the FAA.  If you go to the FAA UAV webpage, you will find a link that will tell you all about how to apply for the waiver.
2017-1-18
Use props
RicknCovington
lvl.2
Flight distance : 186322 ft
United States

Jetpilot Posted at 2017-1-6 22:04

do you think the lights on the Phantom, are bright enough and qualify for the anti-collision lights.  I'm thinking they are not bright enough to be seen 3 miles away.  Which means you would need a waiver for anytime before official sunrise, or anytime after official sunset...no 30 minute leaway.
2017-1-18
Use props
QiiFlight
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

RicknCovington Posted at 2017-1-18 23:17
do you think the lights on the Phantom, are bright enough and qualify for the anti-collision lights.  I'm thinking they are not bright enough to be seen 3 miles away.  Which means you would need a waiver for anytime before official sunrise, or anytime after official sunset...no 30 minute leaway.

The lights are not bright enough. And you have to explain, in detail, to the FAA how you are going to mitigate everything. I was turned down 4 times for a daylight operation waiver until I explained I was going to have two visual observers, one with binoculars and one with night vision camera so we could watch the aircraft on a screen. Its almost not worth it. But the website to request waivers is   https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/
2017-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules