DJI go Map View has no detail???
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KCadby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 638474 ft
United States

Just recieved and flew my P3 Std. for the first time today and LOVE it!!!
Everything worked great with the acception that the Map in Camera View is blank = no detail plus Hybrid and Satelite views don't work...
Flight Telemetry and the Red Triangle are all there and working but the Map doesn't have any detail
Any ideas on what I'm missing here???
I doubt I'm the first to have this issue but I have searched and haven't found a thread on this issue...
I'm using an older Samsung S3 phone with Android version 4.4.2...
Ya...go ahead and laugh but I'm stuck using this phone until I can afford a newer phone or Tablet...
2017-1-6
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90459 ft
United Kingdom

You must not have searched very well, as simply typing in the word "maps" into the search bar, yields plenty of results.

But to answer your question - the issue is with DJI downgrading their App to use "HERE" maps instead of Google Maps. Absolutely everyone is annoyed about this, including myself.
2017-1-7
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Vote here - http://forum.dji.com/thread-77885-1-1.html
2017-1-7
Use props
KCadby
lvl.2
United States

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2017-1-7 04:37
You must not have searched very well, as simply typing in the word "maps" into the search bar, yields plenty of results.

But to answer your question - the issue is with DJI downgrading their App to use "HERE" maps instead of Google Maps. Absolutely everyone is annoyed about this, including myself.

Wow... Thank you phantom_of-the...
Apparently I "used too many words" in my search because queries like DJI GO Map and Map in DJI GO got me ZERO topics so I guess I needed to keep-it-simple-stupid...lol
Well that sucks because I've been using GMaps for several years and love it...
Thanx again for the reply...
2017-1-7
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.2
United Kingdom

KCadby Posted at 2017-1-7 09:08
Wow... Thank you phantom_of-the...
Apparently I "used too many words" in my search because queries like DJI GO Map and Map in DJI GO got me ZERO topics so I guess I needed to keep-it-simple-stupid...lol
Well that sucks because I've been using GMaps for several years and love it...

You are welcome Sorry I had to be the bearer of bad news
2017-1-7
Use props
fans8e7ce689
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183054 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same problem. Turns out the site where I fly the most is completely covered in clouds so no detail what so ever,  just a white screen.
2017-1-7
Use props
Bourgeois
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

You can downgrade the DJI Go app. I myself am running v2.9.n I believe the switch over started at v3.1. Search this forum or http://www.phantompilots.com/  where to find previous versions of this app
2017-1-7
Use props
digdat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

Heres two how to vids how rolling back to an earlier version. I recommend 2.9.2 for iOS, 2.8.3 for Android.

2017-1-7
Use props
KCadby
lvl.2
United States

digdat Posted at 2017-1-7 14:17
Heres two how to vids how rolling back to an earlier version. I recommend 2.9.2 for iOS, 2.8.3 for Android.

Thank you for all the help folks = great board here I'll give the 2.8.3 a try digdat and hoping my slowww S3 phone might like it better as well ;)

I understand how most companies don't want peeps using older versions of Software
but I Tune Race Bikes that run Stand Alone ECU = Holley EFI and they are one company
that keeps all of the older versions of Software and Firmware available for download...
They're also good about having Tech info, IE list of every change that newer Software, Firmware has...
Just sayin

2017-1-7
Use props
KCadby
lvl.2
United States

KCadby Posted at 2017-1-7 18:46
Thank you for all the help folks = great board here I'll give the 2.8.3 a try digdat and hoping my slowww S3 phone might like it better as well ;)

I understand how most companies don't want peeps using older versions of Software

Update on my No Map Detail issue...
I rolled back  to 2.8.3 DJI GO after my previous post here and my "very slow S3 phone" deff. likes it better (takes longer before Drone Screen Controls slow down) but Live Camera Latency is still Terribly Bad (2-4 seconds)...
I'm not complaining about that because I know the only Fix for that is buying a newer/better phone or Tablet ;)
Even though the Map said Google now (Whoo Hoo!!!), the map STILL had NO Detail for the TWO DAYS I have flown since my last post here
I also tried watching my Flight Data again with the 2.8.3 = No Map Detail there either but I did notice that it said Downloading Map on the screen last night... It was LATE when I was doing that so I gave up and went to bed (disappointed AGAIN)...
TODAY I went ahead and opened Flight Data again and for the first time since owning my Phantom I tapped the Cloud Icon to upload my flights...
After that I figured I'd try watching a Flight again and was Shocked when I saw a perfectly Detailed Google Satellite Map = OMG it WORKS!!!
Next I turned on RC, P3 and connected and was VERY Pleasantly Surprised to see the Map working there as well (after FOUR DAYS of Flying with No Map Detail)...
So I guess this map FINALLY loaded but I don't know why it took so long???
Time to try a different location to see what happens there (fingers crossed)...
2017-1-10
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Does your phone have cell service?  Sounds like you need to download the map to the app either via cell service in the field, or at home via wifi.
2017-1-11
Use props
KCadby
lvl.2
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-11 20:02
Does your phone have cell service?  Sounds like you need to download the map to the app either via cell service in the field, or at home via wifi.

...Sorry for long post(s) but I try to give all details...

Yes William, I have 4G Cell and also have Cable with fast WiFi at home...
Didn't know why but I tested again at home last night and I had Blank Map AGAIN...
...(Turned RC on then P3, connected WiFi then opened DJI GO = BLANK Map)...
I waited a couple of minutes and still no map so I backed out and opened a Log = BLANK Map!?!?!?

SO... I went to open GMap (I'm still using GO 2.8.3 because my old/slow phone likes it better AND it uses GMap)...
I noticed that GMap Icon looked different and then noticed that GMap did an Auto Update = GRRRrrr, I HATE auto updates so turned that off again...
So next I went through downloading Off Line Maps AGAIN (and HATE that new version says it will delete off-line maps after 30 days if you don't update them before then)...
Re-connected to P3, opened GO and Map was STILL Blank after I did that

NEXT, I went ahead and did what I did the last time I got the map to work = opened my Flight Log and Tapped Cloud (even though I don't have any new flights), then opened a Flight = Map worked there...
Went to Camera View and BAM the Map was there also and working fine...

Don't know why that seems to be what makes it work for me but I connect to P3 again just now and the Map was there (THANK GOODNESS) = charging battery to go fly later today
2017-1-12
Use props
Palladous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102185 ft
United States

KCadby Posted at 2017-1-12 08:56

KC
Not sure if this helps but it seems to have worked for me. I also use Go 2.9.1 for the G Maps. But the offline cache in G Maps does not matter.  That only works when you are using G Maps itself w/o any internet connection.  

I connected my tablet to my home WiFi, opened Go and had good maps. I scrolled around a bit to the area I was going to fly and then shut everything down and drove to to fly zone.  The maps worked great!

So it seems that the info is cached within the Go app itself and has little to do with the G Map app.  I usually start RC, then tablet and connect to RC, then start AC.
Good flyin' !
2017-1-12
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

KCadby Posted at 2017-1-12 08:56

Read post #13, he laid it out for you. It's sounds like what your doing wrong is using the Gmap app, that is not used for the Go app. You need to use the Go app only to cache the maps you need via home wifi, if the device doesn't have cell service. You don't use the Google map app for anything, except driving your car maybe to the location.
2017-1-12
Use props
KCadby
lvl.2
United States

Thank you Palladous and William...
I'm not as Tech-NO as I might seem...lol... But the DJI Instructions could be better IMO for more in depth explanation of things like this = why I joined the DJI board...
I work with VERY complicated software(s) compared to GO for Tuning Motorcycles that includes Flashing stock ECU and also Tuning Holley EFI that we use on Race Bikes,
so again I'm not dumb but this relatively simple Map deal hasn't been as easy for me as it should be...
Thank you again and going out to a new location to Fly NOW = going make sure I pan to that Map here at home 1st ;)
2017-1-12
Use props
fans6e083202
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72776 ft
United States

I too have a map problem probably related to the switch away from Google maps. My issue is a little worse than the degraded maps others are seeing. What I am getting is nothing! Just a blank screen. I've seen some other posts indicating that it might take awhile to get the new maps but think that was when they had downgraded to move back to google maps. In any case I've spent hours searching with no answer and I'm pretty much fed up. Down grading the go app isn't the answer or an option for me. I love my phantom 3 but the lack of  a map to guide by takes away a lot. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Mavic but now I'm not so sure that is a good idea. I don't like it that critical features simply go away with DJI products. I guess I'll wait to see if DJI fixes this map issue before I decide to abandon purchasing any new DJI products.
2017-1-13
Use props
Tyrohne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85285 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had my first experience using here maps today and was very underwhelmed.  My house and neighborhood in Wake county NC shows as a forest.  
2017-1-13
Use props
Odysseus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 506181 ft
  • >>>
Nigeria

If you're using a p3standard then you should pre load maps as you have no data connection when flying
2017-1-14
Use props
KCadby
lvl.2
United States

fans6e083202 Posted at 2017-1-13 17:06
I too have a map problem probably related to the switch away from Google maps. My issue is a little worse than the degraded maps others are seeing. What I am getting is nothing! Just a blank screen. I've seen some other posts indicating that it might take awhile to get the new maps but think that was when they had downgraded to move back to google maps. In any case I've spent hours searching with no answer and I'm pretty much fed up. Down grading the go app isn't the answer or an option for me. I love my phantom 3 but the lack of  a map to guide by takes away a lot. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Mavic but now I'm not so sure that is a good idea. I don't like it that critical features simply go away with DJI products. I guess I'll wait to see if DJI fixes this map issue before I decide to abandon purchasing any new DJI products.

@fans6...
I'm satisfied with my GO down grade simply because it uses GMaps...
I'm on 2,8,3 (as per digdat recommendation) and the biggest difference I have noticed is the Icon for uploading videos Live isn't included but I don't care about that...yet...
All of my blank map issues are behind me now
Going a few mile away to a friend's house today and already have the GMap loaded and ready to go ;)
2017-1-14
Use props
fans8e7ce689
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I  installed an earlier version of DJI Go app to get google maps back and it worked. The day after  when I started DJIGo, I get a message in a big black background saying    "  Tips...   Your app must be updated to the latest version " And two choices of sites to download it from, it won't allow me to select anything else.
HERE maps are completely useless to me as the place where I like to fly most is covered by a huge cloud so no ground visible on the satelite view at all.
I havent  owned this drone for a year yet so considering going for a refund as it has become unfit for the purpose it was bought for.
2017-2-10
Use props
KCadby
lvl.2
United States

fans8e7ce689 Posted at 2017-2-10 10:27
I  installed an earlier version of DJI Go app to get google maps back and it worked. The day after  when I started DJIGo, I get a message in a big black background saying    "  Tips...   Your app must be updated to the latest version " And two choices of sites to download it from, it won't allow me to select anything else.
HERE maps are completely useless to me as the place where I like to fly most is covered by a huge cloud so no ground visible on the satelite view at all.
I havent  owned this drone for a year yet so considering going for a refund as it has become unfit for the purpose it was bought for.

Yup...
I just installed 3.1.3 and HATE HERE Maps (horrible resolution) = been using earlier versions up until now also but HERE "does work where I am"...
I have had what I consider to be poor Range/Distance from day one (compared to what some people seem to get) but it does make it to 500 meters before wanting to RTH...
2017-2-10
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

fans8e7ce689 Posted at 2017-2-10 10:27

DJI is not making any friends here by forcing everyone to update and shutting down previous version of their GO app. I don't really get the reason for the forced issue. I liked what I was using (2.9) and now I am concerned. I mentioned this in another post but.........One thing about it, we are all in the same boat now!
We'll see how this pans out I guess. I hope for everyone that it works.
2017-2-10
Use props
Anthonyg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

From what I have read on here, it seems they know they have a problem with an older version, they have fixed it and now are making everone use the new version so they don't get any more flyaway  or other mishap claims. I can understand why they might do that but "Here Maps" ????    Whats that all about ?
2017-2-10
Use props
KCadby
lvl.2
United States

Update here about updates...
After HAVING to install 3.1.3 GO, I updated my Firmware from 1.2.40+ (what my P3S came with when I bought it 5 weeks ago) to 1.8.10 and all went smooth on the first try...
I had zero issues with the 2 Test Flights I did before and after Sunset, Moon Rise
WiFi connects quicker now and Recording starts/stops quicker than it did before when I tap the button... This doesn't surprise me as Old as my Firmware was...
This was with a 8" Nvidia Shield K1....
Still don't (and never will) like HERE Maps but I'm satisfied with the Software and Firmware so far...
2017-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules