Indoor crash erratic behaviour[SOLVED]
2748 53 2017-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Thermographer Posted at 2017-1-14 20:54
Got me there... Didn't know I was being graded on spelling..

Sorry, I was not meaning to be picky, but so many people on here spell it that way.
2017-1-14
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2017-1-14 20:31
More evidence http://www.dronecompares.com/flying-drone-indoors/

Let me remind you the topic: drone is flown indoors; hits the wall; pilot unable to shutdown the motors.
Now let me tell again the conclusion so far: indoors drone needs fly in atti mode, because gps and lighting are unreliable. While this doesn't answer on how to shut down the motors in a situation where flying attitude is lost, I consider it reached the overall purpose of what can be learned from it.

If you are aware of a motor "kill switch", or emergency shutdown, or master control relay, I would appreciate you sharing it with us. It's what's missing to conclude this thread.
2017-1-15
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Canada

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-1-14 20:05
There is NO reasoning with him. You tell him something he think of something else. Let him keep hitting the wall with ATTI mode if he likes it that much.

Derogatory comments are not welcome in this thread. Thank you for allowing me to point it out.
2017-1-15
Use props
AssHatModerator
lvl.2

United States

Hmm, for some reason it reminds me of this guy that used to get drunk and then go ride his motorcycle.  After his third wreck said he wasn't going to buy any more Suzuki's because they kept on crashing...
2017-1-15
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-15 06:18
Let me remind you the topic: drone is flown indoors; hits the wall; pilot unable to shutdown the motors.
Now let me tell again the conclusion so far: indoors drone needs fly in atti mode, because gps and lighting are unreliable. While this doesn't answer on how to shut down the motors in a situation where flying attitude is lost, I consider it reached the overall purpose of what can be learned from it.

Motor kill switch answer is in post number 3, on a P4 left stick down and to the right AND push RTH button on RC that 'should' kill the motors immediately, page 53 of the P4 manual.

Regarding the topic which was "Indoor crash erratic behaviour" I provided an answer that may have resolved that 'erratic behaviour'. You mention 'Dim light' in post 36, in that instance (with RC in 'P' mode) it would have switched from OPTI to ATTI which then leaves it free to drift if any slight adjustment errors in motor speeds, or by turbulent air caused by props.

At the end of the day it's your choice how you want to fly, with you as the pilot being ultimately responsible. I will say no more on this topic.
2017-1-15
Use props
Thermographer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1417362 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-14 22:23
Sorry, I was not meaning to be picky, but so many people on here spell it that way.

No hard feelings, all is good... Just razzing ya..
2017-1-15
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-1-15
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

So u guys are saying that ATTI mode indoors will NOT use VPS?
I do not fly indoors much, but I always assumed ATTI, as that makes it into a "normal"  RC craft. My worry about GPS indoors is, that it is "possible" for GPS to be inaccurate and what if the craft suddenly thinks it's 20 ft away from where it should be, and decides to catch up to the right position? But maybe GPS will never do that.. it's just a fear I have.
ATTI still hold altitude, with barometer, and i always assumed if u r 3 ft or below, vps will engage - on p3 Advanced?
2017-1-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-16 08:52
So u guys are saying that ATTI mode indoors will NOT use VPS?
I do not fly indoors much, but I always assumed ATTI, as that makes it into a "normal"  RC craft. My worry about GPS indoors is, that it is "possible" for GPS to be inaccurate and what if the craft suddenly thinks it's 20 ft away from where it should be, and decides to catch up to the right position? But maybe GPS will never do that.. it's just a fear I have.
ATTI still hold altitude, with barometer, and i always assumed if u r 3 ft or below, vps will engage - on p3 Advanced?

"So u guys are saying that ATTI mode indoors will NOT use VPS?"

That is correct, ATTI mode does not use GPS nor VPS to position aircraft. When VPS is active on a Phantom 3 in P mode, it works up to 3m (10 feet) from surface. On a Phantom 4 it is up to 10m (Approx' 33 feet).
2017-1-16
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-1-16 09:22
"So u guys are saying that ATTI mode indoors will NOT use VPS?"

That is correct, ATTI mode does not use GPS nor VPS to position aircraft. When VPS is active on a Phantom 3 in P mode, it works up to 3m (10 feet) from surface. On a Phantom 4 it is up to 10m (Approx' 33 feet).

Thx mate! Learning something every day!
Any comment on my "indoor gps fears" or am I just paranoid?
2017-1-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-16 10:16
Thx mate! Learning something every day!
Any comment on my "indoor gps fears" or am I just paranoid?

You got me thinking, so I tried a little experiment here. Powered up my Phantom 4  indoors (All firmware/software at latest versions). Made sure there was sufficient light, being indoors it showed no GPS, and 'OPTI' mode was operating. I then stood just inside the open front door until it started registering satellites, now I stood there for quite a few minutes, 6,7,9,10 satellites, and still in 'OPTI' mode. Only when it reached 11 did it change from 'OPTI' to GPS mode after a few seconds.
Now, I do not fly indoors myself, primarily because there is not enough room. Secondly because to me it is a camera platform and there's nothing really indoors that I would need a flying camera for.
Based on my little test I would be confident that if you were indoors, say in a big games hall or similar, then the OPTI mode would do a good job as long as there is enough light. If you flew past the window and picked up a handful of satellites then I think OPTI would still be fully operational. If you hovered in front of that window and were receiving 11+ satellites then I believe it would switch to GPS mode. At that point the likelihood of getting a rogue GPS signal I think would be very small, probably more chance of an ESC, motor, prop' failure.
Best thing would be to try it yourself indoors beside a window, powered up, motors not armed, and check the mode shown on DJI Go. If it stays on OPTI, then OPTI (VPS) it is.
2017-1-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have to say reading this thread , I'm gobsmacked aardvark has almost stood on his head to explain the ins and outs of safest method of flying indoors, but for some reason he can't get through to some, I admire his tenacity , politeness and patience. But some good has come out of it, there are many others here who have learned, from his knowledge. Thank you Aardvark, good luck...
2017-1-17
Use props
Hkdman
lvl.1

United States

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-14 19:12
your opinion is wrong. flying indoors is mandatory in atti mode, where gps is disabled. this to avoid any erratic gps interference. that i found out after the facts, while browsing the forum

I think you misunderstood.  I am not saying that you shouldn't fly in Atti mode when indoors.  What I am saying is that I never fly indoors because it is too easy to bang into walls and such.  Unless you have a very open house - it is just too easy to acidentally fly into a wall or bang into something.  Therefore - I only fly outdoors and only with a good GPS connection.
2017-2-11
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Canada

Hkdman Posted at 2017-2-11 13:34
I think you misunderstood.  I am not saying that you shouldn't fly in Atti mode when indoors.  What I am saying is that I never fly indoors because it is too easy to bang into walls and such.  Unless you have a very open house - it is just too easy to acidentally fly into a wall or bang into something.  Therefore - I only fly outdoors and only with a good GPS connection.

i find my original reply to you a bit too strong. dont know why i did that.
indoors can fly in any mode, but at least atti is full-manual an if there was a mistake, was related to pilot alone.
i agree that indoors is a bit risky, considering the price. i also keep it outdoors now. thanks for the contribution.
2017-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules