Newbie - What Drone?
1131 13 2017-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stitch-up
New

United Kingdom

Good morning all from a very sunny but cols South Wales.

This is my first post to the forum as a complete newbie at the age of 64!

I was given a quadcopter for Christmas It's not an expensive one with any bells and whistles but fun nonetheless. It's certainly stirred my interest in drones.

I've come to this forum as DJI seem to be leading the way in drone technology and I'm seeking some advice on what drone I should consider to achieve one of the fun projects I'd like to complete.

I've been a fan of cars for sometime and until a few years ago used to own an Arial Atom. I used to take my Atom to a local circuit and participate in track days - not racing but having some fun pushing the limits of my fear The circuit is just 1 mile around so not big and can take 2 or 3 minutes to complete.

What I'd like to do with any drone I purchase is to produce video of particular cars doing a few circuits. I've previuosly been a photographer at the circuit and produced some good prints which car owners purchased. My thoughts are that if I could produce some good quality videos I could sell these too. Video quality is important. I will of course be using the drone for fun too.

This is the circuit as shown on Google Maps
Llandow Circuit

So, based on the above, what drone should I buy keeping in mind that I'm a newbie but also a quick learner

I know I could spend many thousands on a drone but would prefer to keep the cost down.

Looking forward to any advice.

Many thanks.

John

2017-1-8
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi John - welcome to the forum. I'm sure there will be lots of good advice coming but here's my advice based on my short but intensive drone ownership.
I started with a Phantom 2 to get used to flying before moving my way up through the Phantom 3 range to my current Phantom 4. Advice as follows

1) Don't by a second hand drone off Ebay. You won't know if the drone is functioning as designed and if you have issues your have little or no comeback. Look for the best deals from UK based dealers with good return policies on a new or even refurbished drone. Maplin and Jessops are a good place to start due to the amount of high st stores should you have any issues or need to return.
2) In my opinion the most stable and best value DJI drone currently available is the Phantom 3 Advanced. You can get one for around £600 and accessories/spares are readily available. The P3 Advanced has 80% of the features of the Phantom 4 for roughly £400 less.
3) Don't buy critical parts from 3 parties - propellers & batteries are the main ones. Always buy the official DJI products for reliability and warranty peace of mind.
4) Essential accessories I'd recommend would be a decent hard shell case, couple of spare genuine batteries and an approved tablet/smartphone.
5) Once you've picked a drone read the forums & watch lots of Youtube video's before any serious flights.

That's my advice - as I said I'm sure there will be lots more to come........
2017-1-8
Use props
Propwash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

Chriscycling's advice is sound albiet his choice of drone mine would be the PHANTOM PRO 3 over the advanced
2017-1-8
Use props
Kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Propwash Posted at 2017-1-8 07:46
Chriscycling's advice is sound albiet his choice of drone mine would be the PHANTOM PRO 3 over the advanced

at this point watch for store open box returns and refurb
I love after Christmas time to buy returns folks could not figure out

as above go for the 3pPro if at all possible.

here in the US, Best Buy is selling NEW p3pro at 799.00. US
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/p ... nal_quadcopter.html
2017-1-8
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.3
United Kingdom

As I said - lots of good advice would come. I agree the P3 Pro is a great drone but DJI have recently discontinued production which has potential pro's and cons.

Pro's - retailers are now discounting them, I've see P3 Pro for £699 new or £582 for a pre owned one on the Maplin site

Cons - If you have issues you may not be able to get a replacement further down the line

It looks like the P3 Advanced is still being produced which is what I'd go for. Best price I can find is also £599 - that £100 saving over the Pro could be put towards more batteries etc.
2017-1-8
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Correction - P3 Advanced now discontinued as well
2017-1-8
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I think if you're going to be chasing cars you'll need an Inspire at minimum, P3 may not be quick enough and you'll have props in most of your shots.

You'll also need your PfCO if you want to sell the prints or videos. It may not be that easy to get permission or complete the H&S for flying over a race track. Congested area with 1000+ people? I've been chatting with a local race track and they're trying to get their own Operations Manual done but really struggling to get it past the CAA goons. Too much potential for multiple deaths - lol

There was a real problem with open top cars, if the drone crashes into it the driver will have a drone in his face as he crashes into the crowd and bursts into flames.
2017-1-8
Use props
Propwash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-1-8 10:43
I think if you're going to be chasing cars you'll need an Inspire at minimum, P3 may not be quick enough and you'll have props in most of your shots.

You'll also need your PfCO if you want to sell the prints or videos. It may not be that easy to get permission or complete the H&S for flying over a race track. Congested area with 1000+ people? I've been chatting with a local race track and they're trying to get their own Operations Manual done but really struggling to get it past the CAA goons. Too much potential for multiple deaths - lol

If there trying to get permissions from the CAA for aerial work chasing cars then they wont succeed.A different approach will be required to be successful.
2017-1-8
Use props
Kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Chriscycling Posted at 2017-1-8 08:45
As I said - lots of good advice would come. I agree the P3 Pro is a great drone but DJI have recently discontinued production which has potential pro's and cons.

Pro's - retailers are now discounting them, I've see P3 Pro for £699 new or £582 for a pre owned one on the Maplin site

another way to look at the P3Pro it is this:

for half the cost almost everyone else paid you can get into the hobby
with a great solid product with years of life left.

if you find you want to proceed further you can then pick best model then and still have a backup unit...

good luck and have fun flying!
2017-1-8
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Phantom 4 or Mavic, so that you have active track to follow the cars autonomously...

Problem is there is too much risk of things going wrong, autonomous flight or not:

And even if you can operate under the Drone Code (http://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/), which you can't if you are selling the videos, the cars on the track will not be under your control so you would have to film from 50m+, and that would make the cars rather small when viewed through the lens of any cheapish drone.  A drone large enough to carry the telephoto lens you will want will be far too large to be safe should something go wrong and it hits a car.

I think safety makes this project a non-starter, even if you could get suitable permission.   Having said that, drones are used to film the WRC TV coverage, so it's not impossible, although they do have separate pilot and camera operator to improve safety.

Put some action cams in/on the cars themselves, you can safely get some great footage that way.

2017-1-8
Use props
stitch-up
New

United Kingdom

Well thank you for all the replies and solid advice

I can understand the dangers of drones and fast cars so maybe my idea is a non-starter. Never mind, it was just an idea.

Perhaps I'll just enjoy flying and taking pictures of the countryside

These things are foolproof as the video shows - I think I'd cry if that Mavic was mine.

Some of the videos I've seen posted on Youtube do, while looking very impressive flying along crowded beaches and populated area, raise the obvious questions of safety.

Thanks again for all the info.

Regards

John
2017-1-9
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Well let us know if you do get anywhere with it.   

An aerial photo/video-shoot of static cars before taking to the track may go down well with some people and may be reasonably easy to organise while there is no one on track.  It would create a chance for a get together so may be quite popular.
2017-1-9
Use props
Palladous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102185 ft
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-1-8 12:13
Phantom 4 or Mavic, so that you have active track to follow the cars autonomously...

Problem is there is too much risk of things going wrong, autonomous flight or not:

Great ending - didn't see that one coming. Was waiting for a quick Mavic u-turn and POW! in the branches.  Hope it survived.
2017-1-9
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

Palladous Posted at 2017-1-9 13:58
Great ending - didn't see that one coming. Was waiting for a quick Mavic u-turn and POW! in the branches.  Hope it survived.

Pallodous:

But boy, you have to give it to the young upstart Mavic. Such earnest, ride-or-die determination brimming inside that LiOn heart. She scrambled and crashed-----BUT SHE GOT THE SHOT.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules