Securing gimbal and camera during Compass Calibration
1406 4 2017-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cmartin3977
lvl.4
Flight distance : 304744 ft
United States

I notice that when I decide to do the compass calibration when moving to a different location, that  the camera and gimbal is really moving all out of wack trying compensate, which is what it's supposed to do, bit when I put the inspire down after the calibration, the camera has to be readjusted pitch wise.  I'm not thinking that I really want this to continue to happen , so what do you guys do when calibrating?
2017-1-8
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

First the only time you need to do the compass calibration is when you move like  150 -200 miles from the original point that you had a successful calibration, or  if the compass starts not working correctly .   I only do my calibration like this and have never had any problems  .

When I do the calibration I make sure NO metal is around me and none on my person as well, keep the transmitter at least 15 feet away as well.  I do my first circle with the AC level in my hands and turn slowly around ( takes about 8 -10 seconds for one level revolution )  then I put the Nose of the AC pointing down  towards the ground and repeat that procedure, I notice that the camera will move only once when in the Nose down position  at the 180 degree mark when doing the second circle.  Then I place the AC down and make sure the compass calibration is a success, I believe the lights on the AC flash fats green ( cant remember if it is green ,  but they do flash letting you know success  )

So You should not have to have this problem as you only need to calibrate  the compass a few times a year .  I hope this helps you .

***Also you do have the camera in the "FOLLOW"  mode and not set to "FREE " or FPV  do you , the camera should really move only a minimum amount . Also make sure your camera gimbal  settings  are not set to be super sensetive , to be safe set them to the default settings and adjust from there , there are 3 configs that you can choose from .

***That camera should not be moving all over the place when doing the compass calibration , just some slight movemets to compensate for the Yaw that is being induced.  

donnie

*** extra thoughts  after I thought some more about it .
2017-1-8
Use props
Robin UAV
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Uhmmm, I never calibrate my compass with the camera installed...
2017-1-8
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Robin UAV Posted at 2017-1-8 13:42
Uhmmm, I never calibrate my compass with the camera installed...

I think you should because the camera gives off a magnetic signature and I believe that is what the purpose of the compass calibration is for , each area is going to be a bit different and having the baseline is what the AC is doing .  ( I realize it is just part of the equation )
Also on an interesting note, may camera moves and cetain points duriong the Calibration process, its always the same movement each time , not 100% sure what it means but it must have something to do with the Calibration ....

Not 100% sure on this but I think my logic is correct .

donnie
2017-1-9
Use props
Robin UAV
lvl.2

United Kingdom

It might be, I got no idea.
But just as a exercise I took a look at compass values with and without the camera and there is no change.
2017-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules