Can anyone else force a Compass Error on Demand?
1024 16 2017-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vikassi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17516 ft
United States

I noticed today, when flying in my backyard, when the nose of the aircraft if straight ahead, i do NOT get a compass error.  If i turn the nose of the aircraft 15 degrees right or 15 degrees left, I get a compass error, exit gps, and then it switches to ATTI mode.  I can make this happen on demand.  Now, there are power lines close to my house, so that could be it too.  I need to test this out in a field, which I plan on doing.  I thought I recall someone else here being able to accomplish the same thing.  I live in a residential area and understand that certain variables can affect the compass, like power lines.  Does anyone else fly in their backyard?  Whats around you?  I also have trees in my backyard, so I really never hover up to high at all for fear of a compass error, disorientation, and then a crash into someones house or my own or on a person.
2017-1-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That sounds unusual.  Test in another location and get back to us.
2017-1-8
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

No I don't think that is typical. Although close to ground can have lots of things that could mess up the compass. Unfortunately the compass gets calibrated on the ground. I live out in the country and I only get compass errors near metal objects (patio table, car, snow shovel, etc).
2017-1-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

' I live in a residential area and understand that certain variables can affect the compass, like power lines.'

No, power lines do not affect the compass. More urban myth. It is more likely the spot you took off from.
2017-1-8
Use props
Vikassi
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-8 14:56
' I live in a residential area and understand that certain variables can affect the compass, like power lines.'

No, power lines do not affect the compass. More urban myth. It is more likely the spot you took off from.

No kidding.  Thanks for clarifying that then.  Now I have to go test this somewhere else.  I calibrated the compass on the grass in my backyard.
2017-1-8
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Power lines would only cause a more dirty air frequency between the phantom and you as they send off a lot of EMF (I'm sorta making this up but it sounds logical to me). Id assume you have a meteorite or maybe an Egyptian tomb full of mummies and gold beneath your lawn lol
2017-1-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

MrPinaColada Posted at 2017-1-8 19:18
Power lines would only cause a more dirty air frequency between the phantom and you as they send off a lot of EMF (I'm sorta making this up but it sounds logical to me). Id assume you have a meteorite or maybe an Egyptian tomb full of mummies and gold beneath your lawn lol

Ten kilograms of gold won't make any difference.
The compass is only sensitive to magnetic materials and electromagnetic fields.
2017-1-8
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

Just a post of compass interest, the Phantom 1's compass would sometimes get so out of tolerance that you needed to wave a magnet around it until the numbers got into range before you could calibrate the compass properly. DJI's hardware/software has come a long way since then.
2017-1-8
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4820 ft
United States

That's exactly what happened to my first p3s - after talking on this forum and doing all of the advised calibrations etc. to no avail,  I sent it back to the dept. store for a full refund and ordered a new one from DJI. My new one just came the other day but I've only tested it once in my backyard. No compass error so far. With the old one, everytime I turned about 10-15 degrees to the left or right it would have a compass error and switch to atti. mode.
2017-1-11
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

wait, r u guys saying that if i fly near a high current power line, there's not residual EM field there that can affect the compass?

Vikassi - when you say 15 deg, is that only if u face a certain geographical direction, or is it when you alter the drone orientation as relative to the original takeoff orientation? Hope my question makes sense?
2017-1-11
Use props
Vikassi
lvl.2
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-11 08:56
wait, r u guys saying that if i fly near a high current power line, there's not residual EM field there that can affect the compass?

Vikassi - when you say 15 deg, is that only if u face a certain geographical direction, or is it when you alter the drone orientation as relative to the original takeoff orientation? Hope my question makes sense?

Yes, so i start with the drone facing south and turn it to either east or west, i get a compass error.  i have only been able to test this in my backyard.  I need to get to an open field and calibrate the compass and test that there.
2017-1-11
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

also, what happens if u take off facing north, or west, or random direction? if u can pinpoint the direction in which it works, fails.. i'd say u r dealing with some object or field.....
2017-1-11
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

EMF = Electro Magnetic Force or, alternatively, Electro Motive Force.
2017-1-11
Use props
Vikassi
lvl.2
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-11 12:18
also, what happens if u take off facing north, or west, or random direction? if u can pinpoint the direction in which it works, fails.. i'd say u r dealing with some object or field.....

i have not yet tried that but I will try and report back here.  The weather here in Chicago hasn't been all that great for flying.  I also want to give the new firmware a try because i Just got this thing and havent been able to update the firmware at all, per the DJI server reconfiguration.
2017-1-11
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

May the (em)Force be with you... always... except when it affects your compass!
PrincessLeia.jpg
2017-1-11
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-1-11 12:36
EMF = Electro Magnetic Force or, alternatively, Electro Motive Force.

He said he's taking off in the back yard, so it must be back emf?  just joking guys, a little electronic humor.  Good luck getting it resolved.
2017-1-11
Use props
Vikassi
lvl.2
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-11 13:24
May the (em)Force be with you... always... except when it affects your compass!

R.I.P Princess Leia.
2017-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules