Return to home mishap...almost lost my mavic
3190 23 2017-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David Pumpkins
lvl.2

United States

I was flying my mavic around my area, recording the recent snowstorm we had. It wasn't too cold but it also was alittle windy.. the mavic was performing just fine and I was getting my recordings, but then when I went to change locations the mavic started to drift by itself.. yeah I got the high wind warning but normally the mavic does maneuver with wind blowing on it.. so I turn return to home.. and it was still drifting by itself going backwards... till a min later it started to come back to me ... I see it was responsive and it was already close to my house so I canceled it and started to see if it would fly around, but then it started to drift again by itself... so once again I put it on return to home mode and it started to just drift again. Backwards from like two blocks away..  I canceled it and put it back on to return to home hoping it would come back but it just never did so I just had to chase after it ... after the third return to home it just happen to just hover so I had to run three blocks down looking at the video stream to see where it's at cuz this DJI app doesn't have my remote on the gps only home and the drone for some reason i don't know. So I happen to hear the sucker and had to turn the drone around and fly it backwards. Surprisingly it maneuver better than flying forwards.. has to land it on the street and turn it off.. what in the world happenEd?!? Was the wind too strong for the drone to fly through forward?! Cuz some weird reason backwards it was moving fine  
2017-1-8
Use props
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

You got the high wind warning... there is your answer. regardless if you got the warning in the past it's altering you for a reason and the Mavic can drift in high winds. You would need to post your logs but i am pretty sure the problem is high winds. 10mph is the recommend max
2017-1-8
Use props
David Pumpkins
lvl.2

United States

devGOD Posted at 2017-1-8 13:54
You got the high wind warning... there is your answer. regardless if you got the warning in the past it's altering you for a reason and the Mavic can drift in high winds. You would need to post your logs but i am pretty sure the problem is high winds. 10mph is the recommend max

I nonthe problem of the drift, but the high winds couldn't push the drone to home manually? But when I put return to home it does it by itself the first time? I
2017-1-8
Use props
airoscar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 272953 ft
United States

What was the temperature outside? I noticed my Mavic occasionally does strange things below -10 Celsius. At -20 Celsius I would lose gps mode entirely after 5 minutes of flying while still connected to like 18 satellites. Some of the components just won't function normally outside of the spec range.
2017-1-8
Use props
David Pumpkins
lvl.2

United States

airoscar Posted at 2017-1-8 14:29
What was the temperature outside? I noticed my Mavic occasionally does strange things below -10 Celsius. At -20 Celsius I would lose gps mode entirely after 5 minutes of flying while still connected to like 18 satellites. Some of the components just won't function normally outside of the spec range.

It was maybe 0 Celsius and I just don't know... I try to manually bring it back to me and it just kept drifting back... but when I press return to home it came back but after the third try I had to force land it
2017-1-8
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

devGOD Posted at 2017-1-8 13:54

I get the high wind warning **every** single time I take mine up.    If the wind whisps past the thing because a sparrow passes gas I get the wind warning.
2017-1-8
Use props
David Pumpkins
lvl.2

United States

NomadRT Posted at 2017-1-8 16:27
I get the high wind warning **every** single time I take mine up.    If the wind whisps past the thing because a sparrow passes gas I get the wind warning.

Same here I always get it but I'm always able to have my mavic under control today was the first time this has happen and maybe my 7th flight since I've gotten it
2017-1-8
Use props
David Pumpkins
lvl.2

United States

NomadRT Posted at 2017-1-8 16:27

Same here I always get it but I'm always able to have my mavic under control today was the first time this has happen and maybe my 7th flight since I've gotten it
2017-1-8
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Snow storm , Windy conditions... Mate, dont want to start a flame war but if the battery was too cold you might have lost a lot of power and the drone instead of doing a RTH just did a failsafe RTH and landed where it could.  I am always really careful when bringing in our eagle when there is high wind and if you are in a cold situation you have to be extra careful as stated on the manual
2017-1-8
Use props
Fireboy2001
New

Canada

Did u put it in sport mode and try to fly back? Sounds like your emergency check list starts with "run after drone as fast as possible".
2017-1-8
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

Why didn't you just fly it back manually? It seems a lot of people put too much faith in the return home button imo this should only be pressed in emergency. Or you could of used home lock. Its on the second page of intelligence mode
2017-1-8
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

Also in radar mode you can find your drone in this situation you were in
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi David, please export the flight data and upload it to drobox. I'll pass your data to our engineers for review.
Besides, was the firmware up to data?
You can use the same method as for the Phantom 4.
Here is a video tutorial for reference:

2017-1-8
Use props
David Pumpkins
lvl.2

United States

Fireboy2001 Posted at 2017-1-8 17:06
Did u put it in sport mode and try to fly back? Sounds like your emergency check list starts with "run after drone as fast as possible".

"SPORT" mode had to be initiated in the menu tabs in which i wasnt going to do seeing the drone drift by it self
2017-1-9
Use props
David Pumpkins
lvl.2

United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-1-8 20:31
Why didn't you just fly it back manually? It seems a lot of people put too much faith in the return home button imo this should only be pressed in emergency. Or you could of used home lock. Its on the second page of intelligence mode

i did try manually many times before RTH i was pushing 100% towards me and it was just slowly drifting away
2017-1-9
Use props
David Pumpkins
lvl.2

United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-1-8 20:34
Also in radar mode you can find your drone in this situation you were in

in the radar mode it showed it was drifting apart showing a grayish line
2017-1-9
Use props
David Pumpkins
lvl.2

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-8 23:29
Hi David, please export the flight data and upload it to drobox. I'll pass your data to our engineers for review.

Thank you so much i will do it now
2017-1-9
Use props
David Pumpkins
lvl.2

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-8 23:29

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tqupe ... 9_17-32-14.DAT?dl=0  here is the flight logs
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

David Pumpkins Posted at 2017-1-9 14:44
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tqupenisn5pev7/DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2017-01-09_17-32-14.DAT?dl=0  here is the flight logs

Thank you for your cooperation.
I'll report it and if I get any update, I'll let you know.
2017-1-10
Use props
David Pumpkins
lvl.2

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-10 03:20
Thank you for your cooperation.
I'll report it and if I get any update, I'll let you know.

THANK you so much
2017-1-10
Use props
DJIFC_OT_DOG
DJI R&D Squad

China

The maximum wind speed is up to 20m/s during RTH,but the maximum speed of the mavic is 16m/s in position mode.You can switch to sport mode and control the Mavic back manually.
2017-1-13
Use props
DJIFC_OT_DOG
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

The maximum speed of mavic in different mode is showed below.
Sport mode                                                                19m/s
Position mode                                                           16m/s
Position mode with Obstacle avoidance               10m/s
Atti mode                                                                    16m/s
2017-1-13
Use props
DJIFC_OT_DOG
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

Position mode with Obstacle avoidance               10m/s
Atti mode                                                                    16m/s
2017-1-13
Use props
David Pumpkins
lvl.2

United States

DJIFC_OT_DOG Posted at 2017-1-13 00:47

Thank you for the info
2017-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules