Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is there a kind of no-fly mode?
1062 9 2017-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

Hi!

I am still getting to know the Mavic and the app with all their settings and possibilities. That is why I am often starting the mavic indoors, just to open the app to explore the settings or to transmit photos and videos from the Mavic to my mobile device.

Whenever I do this, I have to start the Mavic so that it could start to fly. But actually, I do not want this. I do not want to take off the gimbal clamp or the dome. I do not want to unfold the Mavic. I do not want it to be in a state in which its motors could be started.

Is there a kind of "no fly" mode in which I can turn on the mavic but no motors will be working, neither for the propellers nor the gimbal? I just take it out of the bag, start it and play with settings or transfer photos over the RC connection.
2017-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Firstly you can just take out your sd card and plug it into your computer to upload photos or video, to change settings on your aircraft or camera you need the aircraft on same if you want to use simulator. And yes you have to remove gimbal clamp, Good luck
2017-1-9
Use props
BuzzCut
Second Officer

United States

If you want it on to explore menus but are afraid of it taking off somehow couldn't you just unfold it, remove the props & gimbal clamp, turn it on controller/craft/app, and then either play with it in the unfolded state (no props) or fold it back up again at that point and continue to play around?

Then you'll also  be able to hold it and take test photos with (either folded or not).
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

No there is no function like this.
For transferring photos/videos just use the SD card and a adapter and load your photos/videos into your computer that way.

And for playing with the app or simulator the aircraft must be on with the gimbal clamp removed.
It is totally fine like that and it will not start the motors unless you initiate a auto takeoff or the CSC command.
You can remove the props in a few seconds so there's no chance you will accidentally take off.
2017-1-9
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-9 15:19
No there is no function like this.
For transferring photos/videos just use the SD card and a adapter and load your photos/videos into your computer that way.

Thank you for the answers. I assumed there was nothing like this and I can handle this. Nonetheless, it still feels for me a bit like playing with a loaded gun.
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-1-9 22:36
Thank you for the answers. I assumed there was nothing like this and I can handle this. Nonetheless, it still feels for me a bit like playing with a loaded gun.

I'm sorry if it feels that way, please don't worry. As long as you don't use auto takeoff of bring the stick to the armed motor position.
But to ease yourself, just leave the props off then no matter what you do the aircraft cannot cause any harm (unless you stick the spinning motor into your eyeball)  Just kidding.

Read the manual cover to cover several times until you understand all of it and build your confidence in handling the aircraft. Soon it will be 2nd nature and will not feel like a loaded gun anymore.
2017-1-10
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-10 07:10
I'm sorry if it feels that way, please don't worry. As long as you don't use auto takeoff of bring the stick to the armed motor position.
But to ease yourself, just leave the props off then no matter what you do the aircraft cannot cause any harm (unless you stick the spinning motor into your eyeball)  Just kidding.

:-) I am already at a point where the manual does not help anymore. Flying itself is not the issue for me. I am trying to get the best footage out of that camera by getting the settings right for different kind of shots. I also would like to see what e.g. a decreased gimbal speed feels like or what effect a different WB setting has on the actual image. I also want to see what shutter speed is automatically selected under different light conditions and so on. Furthermore, there are many options available in the app that have not (yet?) been documented.

But your answer leads me to another question: Is it possible to try out the different flight modes in the simulator? That would be nice to get familiar with the stick controls in different flight modes.
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-1-10 07:52
:-) I am already at a point where the manual does not help anymore. Flying itself is not the issue for me. I am trying to get the best footage out of that camera by getting the settings right for different kind of shots. I also would like to see what e.g. a decreased gimbal speed feels like or what effect a different WB setting has on the actual image. I also want to see what shutter speed is automatically selected under different light conditions and so on. Furthermore, there are many options available in the app that have not (yet?) been documented.

But your answer leads me to another question: Is it possible to try out the different flight modes in the simulator? That would be nice to get familiar with the stick controls in different flight modes.

The SIM is a great place to learn, but all the features do not work in the SIM and you cannot get fill map view if you wanted to test waypoints.
Just play around with everything with the props off and spend several hours doing that until you feel more comfortable.
2017-1-10
Use props
Anthony566
First Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Just remove the propellers. .... that way ot will not take off.
2017-1-10
Use props
Gary Mac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

Anthony566 Posted at 2017-1-10 08:40
Just remove the propellers. .... that way ot will not take off.

One of the best things about removing the props is the ability to DO a CSC and "play" with the various Combination Stick Commands and shutdown methods.  It will idle and won't hurt anything.  I wouldn't run it a LOT, but it certainly doesn't hurt to practice startup and shutdown using the various methods.

The other day, I started and let the motors idle while trying a few different things.  I wanted to know what would happen at idle when the control sticks were moved (not the throttle, but others) and it just changes the RPM slightly, but did not try to "take off" and perform those directional changes.  I did not try to increase throttle and "take off" without props installed.  I would assume it would give an error.

Nonetheless, removing the props allows you to play without any concern for accidental takeoff and also allows you to startup and shutdown the motors with the confidence of knowing it won't fly away.
2017-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules