Gimbal Moves After Each Shot
1982 16 2017-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
okphantom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143235 ft
Canada

I have two issues with my P4P gimbal. 1st issue is the gimbal is off center always pointing slightly to the left even after gimbal calibration.

The second issue is the gimbal twitches or moves after nearly every still shot is captured. The amount the gimbal moves or shakes is not the same after each shot either. This makes it impossible for proper interval shooting for timelapse.

This video from youtube shows the same behaviour that my P4P is exhibiting.

2017-1-9
Use props
Makirichi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 274199 ft
Canada

I got exactly the same issue. Did you find how you can fix it. I send mine to be fixed as I also have two motors with bracket (black dots) not screwed properly flat on top of motors and making propeller not turning smoothly producing high vibration at certain RPM. But yes time lapse become useless with , I don't know if it's the mechanical shutter that makes the camera moving after each picture. Looks like the gimbal always want to re-positioning the camera
2017-1-10
Use props
JAFARINI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15252589 ft
  • >>>
Georgia

Hi This is video I recorded on my P4P. Seems it is problem on many aircraft out there. Check this thread for this and other P4P issues/bugs (http://forum.dji.com/thread-78616-1-1.html). This happens only when mechanical shutter is actuated. Probably DJI should switch off mechanical shutter for Single Shot and Timelapse that may fix this issue. As I understand mechanical shutter matters only for shooting fast moving objects and it should be activated for Burst Mode. Now it is another way it is OFF for Burst mode and it is ON for single shot and Timelapse  
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, did you also try an IMU calibration prior to a gimbal calibration? Have you also calibrated the RC or relinking it to the aircraft  to make sure there are no additional commands being entered?
2017-1-10
Use props
JAFARINI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15252589 ft
  • >>>
Georgia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-10 23:59
Just to clarify, did you also try an IMU calibration prior to a gimbal calibration? Have you also calibrated the RC or relinking it to the aircraft  to make sure there are no additional commands being entered?

I tried all the following but the same results:

- Firmware Upgrade (Latest on both Remote and Aircraft)
- Firmware Downgrade (on very old version the mechanical shutter doesn't function at all)
- IMU Calibration
- Camera Calibration
- Calibration of Obstacle Sensing Cameras
- Relinking Remote and Aircraft
2017-1-11
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

Yes, I thought that at least the 2nd issue is is a very well known problem by DJI, isn't? They said about mechanical shutter and the introduction of a button to select between electronic and mechanical shutter, is that wrong?
2017-1-11
Use props
ah42
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68353 ft
United States

Every time I switch from video to photo mode, my gimbal also twitches and makes the horizon uneven. Anybody else see this behavior when switching from video to photo?
2017-1-11
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Cyprus

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-10 23:59

Dear Jamie, I have the same issue as the original post.  

The gimbal twitches/moves after every still shot is captured. The amount the gimbal moves or shakes is not the same after each shot either. This makes it impossible for proper interval shooting for timelapse.

Please note that the mechanical shutter is OFF. I am using only electronic shutter.

See the following link for some consecutive shots.

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... AEgbeHhQVG1oanlnd0k

2017-6-27
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

kykphantom Posted at 2017-6-27 22:25

The gimbal twitches/moves after every still shot is captured. The amount the gimbal moves or shakes is not the same after each shot either. This makes it impossible for proper interval shooting for timelapse.

Everything is updated firmware wise, correct?
2017-6-28
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Cyprus

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-6-28 06:02

Yes, everything is updated successfully to the latest firmware. I am not saying that the issue appeared after the latest firmware update since this is the first time I use the time interval for shooting.
2017-6-28
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Cyprus

Dear Jamie, I would like to know if this camera movement between consecutive shots is normal with every Phantom 4 Pro or has something to do only with my aircraft.
2017-6-29
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Belgium

... any news about this issue?
2017-7-3
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

This issue has been discussed in other threads.. To keep your camera from moving shot to shot, turn off gimbal lock and the mechanical shutter. Those are turned on by default. I have made many time lapse movies and discovered this is the best way to do it. Those functions are only good in very few situations. Also the notion that the mechanical shutter helps rolling shutter in video is also a myth. The mechanical shutter is ONLY for photography and not video. Give it a shot.. You will be pleased! The only movement in this video is from the P4P adjusting for wind gusts..

2017-7-3
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

kykphantom Posted at 2017-6-27 22:25

I'm thinking your issue is a lot more severe as I have said before that is a LARGE amount of movement compared to the movement with mechanical shutter and gimbal lock.. Do you think that you could post a video of the movement of the camera as the shots are being taken??
2017-7-3
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Belgium

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-7-3 05:25
I'm thinking your issue is a lot more severe as I have said before that is a LARGE amount of movement compared to the movement with mechanical shutter and gimbal lock..  Do you think that you could post a video of the movement of the camera as the shots are being taken??

Dear Mobilcams thank you for your interest in the issue I have. I do not have access to my P4P until next Sunday, and then I will try to upload a video of the gimbal.

In the meantime, I would appreciate it very much if you can take some sequential photos (let's say every 2s) while drone is sitting still on a table, and upload them here, in order to compare it with the behavior of my drone. Would it be that possible for you?
2017-7-3
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

kykphantom Posted at 2017-7-3 09:44
Dear Mobilcams thank you for your interest in the issue I have. I do not have access to my P4P until next Sunday, and then I will try to upload a video of the gimbal.

In the meantime, I would appreciate it very much if you can take some sequential photos (let's say every 2s) while drone is sitting still on a table, and upload them here, in order to compare it with the behavior of my drone. Would it be that possible for you?

Sure..You got it!   Ill post some up tomorrow..
2017-7-4
Use props
Photoroto
lvl.1
United States

Whatever was causing thebetween-shots gimbal movement problem seems to still be there in the latest firmware, bummer.

I just shot some test shots after upgrading to the latest P4P firmware (a 3-hour, head-banging experience!).  I still get a lot movement in two or three seconds between still shots, maybe 2 or more degrees.  The problem looks a little worse than before.  I have the mechanical shutter OFF, but I just noticed my "lock gimbal"  switch was ON.  I'll try it again later with lock gimbal OFF.  Why isn't this easy?
2017-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules