HORRIBLE Map Detail/ View
1728 16 2017-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PKPhantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275276 ft
United States

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7- Android device. I recently updated to the latest firmware, yesterday. I haven't taken the drone for an actual flight yet but I realized something very strange. My very clear and highly detailed/HD maps have now turned to extremely blurry and completely useless. When I fly my bird, I am always constantly switching between the App view and Map view. Extremely important to me.

I am not exactly sure what happened. Is this Firmware related? If yes, I would rather have the older firmware back. To me, I really cannot use this drone satisfactorily without the map view.

Thanks
-PK
2017-1-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

This is a known and heavily discussed subject. DJI changed the software to source maps from Near Maps, and they are crap.
2017-1-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's a result of DJI leaving Google Maps behind and moving across to the inferior Here Maps.   If you delete the new app and reinstall the old version you'll still have Google Maps.
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thanks for your feedback, we're concern much about the here map issues you reported and working on it now.
2017-1-10
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's so bizarre anyone would look at Here maps and think "this is a good alternative to Google Maps".  I have to assume there was cost savings, that's generally how those sorts of bad decisions are made.
2017-1-10
Use props
ImagesByJAS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-10 03:05
Thanks for your feedback, we're concern much about the here map issues you reported and working on it now.

Natalia...

Thank you for that comment.  I think it's the first that I've seen that someone at DJI acknowledges that Here Maps is an issue.  Presents an even further issue for the DJI Ground Station app recently announced..  e.g. how do you set waypoints on maps that out of date?
2017-1-10
Use props
user3b6acfd98a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1592057 ft
Poland

Any chance to hear DJI users prays ad bring back useful Google maps instead of completely useless Here maps?
2017-1-10
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

Hi Natalia
Thanks for your concern. Glad to hear working on a solution. In my area of Castle Rock, Colorado your Go app map is very out of date and low resolution. Litchi app still uses Google Maps/Earth and it is far superior.
I hope you choose to reinstate Google. It will really benefit your users.
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thanks for your suggestion and feedback about it, we'll transfer that to our engineers, we will let you know for any news.
Again thank you all for your supporting!
2017-1-10
Use props
Murilo Carmello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1562549 ft
Israel

PKPhantom, look this:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-72876-1-1.html
2017-1-11
Use props
TBerrigan
lvl.1

United States

They partnered together, HERE maps obviously paid DJI to use their obsolete maps... what a joke. An entire neighborhood in my area doesn't even exist on these maps (6 year old development)

DJI forums are filled with these issues too, and the only type of response you will see from any moderators are the "oh really? we will forward that to our developers!" type response (as you see above)

Don't expect google back anytime soon.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/01/05/903852/0/en/Sky-s-the-limit-for-DJI-and-HERE-s-global-drone-mapping-partnership.html
2017-1-11
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

TBerrigan Posted at 2017-1-11 12:56
They partnered together, HERE maps obviously paid DJI to use their obsolete maps... what a joke. An entire neighborhood in my area doesn't even exist on these maps (6 year old development)

DJI forums are filled with these issues too, and the only type of response you will see from any moderators are the "oh really? we will forward that to our developers!" type response (as you see above)

"Sky's the limit for DJI and HERE's global drone mapping partnership"                                       

Tell me it ain't so! Look like HERE might be here to stay. See the link in post above!
2017-1-11
Use props
samuraiz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 202585 ft
United States

Here Maps are worthless.  Since the inclusion of Here maps I have stopped recommending DJI  to prospective Drone buyers and I now exclusively use Litchi.     
2017-1-11
Use props
Palladous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102185 ft
United States

TBerrigan Posted at 2017-1-11 12:56

"HERE is also developing high definition (HD), real-time mapping for autonomous driving..."
Just plain scary!
2017-1-11
Use props
digdat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

recommend going back to 3.01 or 2.9.x. It will go back to Google maps and no more issue.  
2017-1-11
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275276 ft
United States

UPDATE:
I had been trying to get the bird to fly earlier on this afternoon. I kept getting an error. Will not take off. I really regret having to upgrade to the latest software. This has been a nightmare!!!!

Long story short, I took the Phantom back to Best Buy. I told the Customer Service that it was a defective product. That is 100% honest truth. I didn't lie.

Anyway, I got another replacement Phantom 3 Pro. Set it up successfully. My map view has never been any better. I am flying again.

I AM NOT UPDATING THE FIRMWARE EVER AGAIN ANYTIME SOON.

Thanks so much for all your responses.

-PK
2017-1-11
Use props
kerrylaw
lvl.2

United States

PKPhantom Posted at 2017-1-11 17:37
UPDATE:
I had been trying to get the bird to fly earlier on this afternoon. I kept getting an error. Will not take off. I really regret having to upgrade to the latest software. This has been a nightmare!!!!

Can you tell us what software versions you have on your bird, controller and app?  
Phantom Firmware?    DJI GO APP version ?  and  R/C  Controller  FW?
2017-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules