853 6 2015-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FoxSTI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11286 ft
  • >>>
United States

I went to a local park to an empty playing field. I took my inspire case and started to set up. I had some guy come up to me and start small talk asking about how high I flew and : " are these tbose things people use to spy on their neighbors? "
I Was flying without the gimbal (no camera) so I told him that what he was describing was not the proper use of the uav etc. And that those with camera were usually people into aerial photograpy or video production, etc.
He was also asking about how hight I flew it, and I replied that I usually keep it under 100 ft. (which is true at least with my other UAV). Because of planes and birds etc. I also mentioned that for me it was important to have visual contact. All true to my way of thinking.

All this got me thinking of tbe negative? Connotations Uavs have and got me thinking that maybe I need to look for other places to fly?

At the same time I feel pretty vulnerable since I have to focus on flying and its hard at least for me, relatively new pilot to be aware of my surroundings. I almost feel that I need someone else with me when I feel like I am being watched. Yet I see all these great videos of peoples flights and they don't seem to have any of these issues at least that I know - then again I am watching the video from the UAV..

I wonder if some of you guys with more experience flying can offer some insight. Do you take your cases and stations with you, do you fly alone?
I unfortunately don't have any friends into quadcopters... or anything "nerdy" hobby like I do.

Sorry I had to edit my post from a PC since I realized the original post from my tablets was missing a ton of info.
2015-2-15
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

The answer to the guy who asks about using these for spying is

a. "No"
b. If he wants more detail, point out the camera is very wide angle which is good for landscapes and rotten for spying.

You could also suggest he watches your video while you fly and he'll quickly get the idea and may well turn into a friend. :-)
2015-2-15
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

Yeah it sort of makes you cringe sometimes. Maybe you should fly with a spotter when you can.  Where I fly there aren't many people or dwellings.  Some people I know are very receptive to it and others I would steer clear of.  I have some folks in my area who wanted me to sort of map their property and they enjoy watching the videos.  But I also know of others who I think wouldn't like it.  It helps to give people notice. For me that includes a lighthearted request not to be shot down ...it's not the men in black, EPA or NSA...it is just me.  But if you are in a dense area then you may have to be even more diplomatic.  Hope you don't have any trouble at your local parks!
2015-2-15
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks guys, I think also part of the challenge is the case and the size of the inspire. Its pretty big and loud compared to lets say my Parrot bebop. Its going to be hard to get a spotter.  My wife is going to come with me tomorrow to a different park so that I can fly in peace for at least one full battery.
2015-2-15
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

People are curious...thats the hardest part of flying where other people are. If you are lucky they will just admire from a distance but in most cases there is always going to be someone that wants to know more... I will be glad when I get more batteries... usually by the time I have the conversations you mention and conversations about a drone landing on the white house lawn, my battery is drained and I did not get half the shots I wanted to get... I don't mind having these convos with people because anything I can do to help build trust in safe drone use feels worth it. However, it does make it more difficult to get the shots I want. I usually try to find a spot where people won't see me with the controller but that is not always possible.
2015-2-15
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Your spotter must also be yr bodyguard.
Your spotter knows the answers to questions asked by the public

Job description for the spotter

1) Warning the public.
2) Spotting the craft during flight
3) Keeping the crowd at least 3 meter (10feet)  away from the pilot. (during flight)
    But allow close with the camera man.

So the spotter is geofencing the pilot with a 3meter radius.
Nobody allowed within that fence during flights
2015-2-15
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dundee,  I feels very much like so.
2015-2-16
Use props
Advanced