3310 16 2017-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SPARKFLASH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63743 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dumb question.  I know I cannot fly a drone on a cruise and they are not allowed.  But can I simply bring it?  I would like to fly it on excursions and land trips.  Just not sure if they check baggage like an airport if they would notice a drone and hold it?

Any idea?  Thanks
2017-1-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It depends who your cruise is with, a lot of operators will take it off you before you board and return when you are finished your time with them, you will need to check with them before you go.
2017-1-10
Use props
ticktockdocker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5341 ft
United States

I packed it in my suitcase and took it ashore in the BVI on a recent trip. No issues. Windstar was the cruise line
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't see an issue with it. But you check with the cruise line and the rules of the destinations you will be at.
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ticktockdocker Posted at 2017-1-10 12:36
I packed it in my suitcase and took it ashore in the BVI on a recent trip. No issues. Windstar was the cruise line

Ohhh, BVI's I miss it there. I lived in St. Thomas and loved going to the BVI's, The Baths, Willy T's, Foxy's, Soggy Dollar Bar, Good times.
This was several years  ago and I wished I had a drone way back then.
2017-1-10
Use props
SPARKFLASH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63743 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks.  Its Royal Caribbean and I'm heading to the Bahamas.  I'm going to just pack it in a day backpack and see!  
2017-1-10
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

You can check with the individual cruise lines published rules.  I recently went on a Carnival cruise and "camera drones" were specifically listed as an exemption to their prohibited items list.  Their published rules state that camera drones are okay to bring on board and be stored in the stateroom but are NOT to be used on the boat at all.  Only to be used at ports of call and off the ship.  different cruise lines have their own rules, but all are posted and can be found with a little internet digging.  I've seen anything from the rules stated above, to confiscation until the cruise is over if they see it, on up to being kicked off the cruise altogether.  it would be well worth the time to check on YOUR cruise line before going.
Good luck!
Sarge

Might as well post the video I took of Half Moon Cay with the Mavic while on the cruise:
2017-1-10
Use props
ticktockdocker
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-10 13:09
Ohhh, BVI's I miss it there. I lived in St. Thomas and loved going to the BVI's, The Baths, Willy T's, Foxy's, Soggy Dollar Bar, Good times.
This was several years  ago and I wished I had a drone way back then.

I've got a few decent aerial shots of the beach in front of the Soggy Dollar. Here's a link to one (not sure how to post a pic directly): https://flic.kr/p/QjhJus

BTW, I used the shoulder carrying case that comes with the Fly More Combo and never once did anyone question what was in it.
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ticktockdocker Posted at 2017-1-10 21:42
I've got a few decent aerial shots of the beach in front of the Soggy Dollar. Here's a link to one (not sure how to post a pic directly): https://flic.kr/p/QjhJus

BTW, I used the shoulder carrying case that comes with the Fly More Combo and never once did anyone question what was in it.

That's awesome, I took this photo of the hammock I used to relax on in front of the Soggy Dollar Bar.
I used to take my boat there a few times a week. Oh how I miss those pain killers, I think the Soggy Dollar Bar made the best ones around
Soggy Dollar Bar view.jpg
2017-1-11
Use props
ticktockdocker
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-11 07:14
That's awesome, I took this photo of the hammock I used to relax on in front of the Soggy Dollar Bar.
I used to take my boat there a few times a week. Oh how I miss those pain killers, I think the Soggy Dollar Bar made the best ones around

Funny you mention the painkillers....I had 3 the afternoon I was there ...was definitely the best afternoon of the trip.
2017-1-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ticktockdocker Posted at 2017-1-11 07:47
Funny you mention the painkillers....I had 3 the afternoon I was there ...was definitely the best afternoon of the trip.

They'll do that to you
2017-1-11
Use props
Juice_Moore
lvl.1

United States

sarge43 Posted at 2017-1-10 21:09
You can check with the individual cruise lines published rules.  I recently went on a Carnival cruise and "camera drones" were specifically listed as an exemption to their prohibited items list.  Their published rules state that camera drones are okay to bring on board and be stored in the stateroom but are NOT to be used on the boat at all.  Only to be used at ports of call and off the ship.  different cruise lines have their own rules, but all are posted and can be found with a little internet digging.  I've seen anything from the rules stated above, to confiscation until the cruise is over if they see it, on up to being kicked off the cruise altogether.  it would be well worth the time to check on YOUR cruise line before going.
Good luck!
Sarge

Great video Sarge! Enjoyed your Mavic unboxing video as well!
2017-1-12
Use props
fans6b1659a0
lvl.2

United States

SPARKFLASH Posted at 2017-1-10 15:09
Thanks.  Its Royal Caribbean and I'm heading to the Bahamas.  I'm going to just pack it in a day backpack and see!

Royal will take it from you.You can call or write beforehand to see if they will hold it for you until while you are at port....Ive been cruising royal for years....I checked this out beforehand on my last cruise in november.You can see what happens but be prepared for the worst in that case.Meaning confiscation or you dont cruise.... Not worth risking it IMO.Royal takes this very seriously.They found a small fan in my checked luggage and took it out with a note to come to the "naughty" room to talk about it.Fans are on the do not take list.Just saying if a fan gets taken,a drone certainly will.
2017-1-12
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Juice_Moore Posted at 2017-1-12 09:19
Great video Sarge! Enjoyed your Mavic unboxing video as well!

Haha!  You saw that?  It was long, but I wanted a realistic look at what it took, and being my first drone and having no preexisting expectations going in, I figured it was now or never.  Glad you liked it.  
2017-1-13
Use props
fanscb82a48a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23182 ft
United States

sarge43 Posted at 2017-1-13 15:17
Haha!  You saw that?  It was long, but I wanted a realistic look at what it took, and being my first drone and having no preexisting expectations going in, I figured it was now or never.  Glad you liked it.

I just did a cruise on Norwegian cruise line, 7 day Mexican Rivera, I brought my mavic with me and took it ashore on all 3 port visits keeping it in my backpack and flew it in two ports. They did run my backpack thru a scanner on return to the ship and not a word from them. I can understand why they are not allowed as some people can do some stupid things and they cannot just allow it for those who think correctly.
Had I known they were not allowed I would not have brought it with me and I did have concerns flying it in Mexico, but I just flew it safely and no issues.
2017-4-10
Use props
fanscabba926
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9984 ft
Canada

I was recently on a Royal Carribean cruise line and they confiscated it  as soon as I disembarked at a port.
2017-4-11
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Sarge43, what happened to the focus on the last several minutes of the video.  Great shots, by the way.
2017-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules