How to determine which ND filter to use?
2985 4 2017-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ACon
lvl.1
United States

Hello Forum,

I’m new here and will do my best to not ask questions that are previously posted and easy to fine.  I am a photographer that just picked up a P4 to try out some aerial 4K video and have some fun at the same time.

I purchased a set of ND/polarizing filters and intend to start shooting (video recording) at 24 fps with a shutter speed of 1/50 sec. I expect that on bright overcast and/or sunny days I will need the ND/PL filters to record at that slow of a shutter speed and not blow out the highlights in the video.

My question is this…. how do you know which ND/PL filter (ND 4 – 64) to use?  When shooting with my dSLR cameras I use the internal light meter to adjust aperture, shutter speed, and ISO with various ND filters I use.  With the DJI P4, do you rely on how the video looks on your monitor/tablet or does the DJI software display a light meter from the camera, or is it trial and error?

Basically, I understand the concept of using the ND filters, just not sure how I can determine which one to use with various outdoor lighting conditions.

Thanks!

2017-1-10
Use props
Jtahan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481601 ft
United States

im no photographer so im not sure if this answer will help but they do give you the option of displaying the histogram. Im not sure if that's anything like the light meters on DSLRs or if its just shadows and highlights.
2017-1-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I found THIS thread very helpful.
2017-1-10
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

This thread has an app that helps:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-75363-1-1.html
2017-1-10
Use props
ACon
lvl.1
United States

thanks guys, very helpful and much easier than I had expected!
2017-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules