Removing the landing gear on the Phantom 3 Professional I have ?
3237 15 2017-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rbryant1492
lvl.2
United States

I was thinking about having black landing gear on my P3. So my idea is to buy an extra set they are cheap with the compass already installed.
My plan is to get the gear just right and swap them.  So can I do a swap without opening the shell ?
So is a gear swap hard?  
2017-1-10
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha rb,

Not a good idea.  It would be better if you dropped the gear and mask the P3P.  Then paint the gear and after they are dry, reassemble.  The shell does not open easy and often the clips get damaged in the process.  Been there, done that.  Swapped out a whole skin.

Hope this helps, but others may have a better idea.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-11
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

If they're aftermarket landing gear I would be wary because if the compass is cheap and faulty it will crash your bird
2017-1-11
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-1-11 07:10
If they're aftermarket landing gear I would be wary because if the compass is cheap and faulty it will crash your bird

I believe those are the antenna in the landing gear.
2017-1-11
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2017-1-11 14:52
I believe those are the antenna in the landing gear.

Aloha faust,

The wide, but small, block at the bottom of the right, rear leg (of the P3P) is the compass.  Other than that, how ya doin!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-11
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-1-11 15:54
Aloha faust,

The wide, but small, block at the bottom of the right, rear leg (of the P3P) is the compass.  Other than that, how ya doin!

Doing well thx
Ah yes you are correct. I forgot that one.
But there is also an antenna attached to each leg.
2017-1-11
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Paint the current legs!
2017-1-11
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2017-1-11 18:14
Doing well thx
Ah yes you are correct. I forgot that one.
But there is also an antenna attached to each leg.

Aloha faust,

That is correct.  The only reason I know is I swapped my P3P skin.  Good way to learn all about your P3P!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-12
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-1-12 02:18
Aloha faust,

That is correct.  The only reason I know is I swapped my P3P skin.  Good way to learn all about your P3P!

I too have replaced mine, but only in my mind. I watched some very lengthy videos, but ultimately just bent it back into shape using a heat gun.  (BTW: still no cracks) I did take the shell apart for straightening and painting though.  Now I'm just droning on.
Marco Polo.jpg
2017-1-12
Use props
rbryant1492
lvl.2
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2017-1-12 07:33
I too have replaced mine, but only in my mind. I watched some very lengthy videos, but ultimately just bent it back into shape using a heat gun.  (BTW: still no cracks) I did take the shell apart for straightening and painting though.  Now I'm just droning on.
[view_image]

I really like that paint job. That's what I want.  So you did take it apart?  
2017-1-12
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2017-1-12 07:33
[view_image]

Aloha faust,

Hey, you have removable propguards to!  I tried the heat gun to but my problem was too extensive so out of one skin and into another!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-12
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

rbryant1492 Posted at 2017-1-12 09:20
I really like that paint job. That's what I want.  So you did take it apart?

I just took the top off (I had to to straighten the bent arm at the motor area) That may have made it a bit easier to paint, but if you are good at masking, there is no reason to take it apart.
I used Krylon Satin Black. It said it was good on plastic and it apparently has no ferrous properties that could interfere with sensors. You can touch up with a small brush with paint you spray into a cup. I left the gimbal and VPS module as is. Easy peasy :-)
PS: I painted the props also.
2017-1-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I would agree with the general concensus of leaving the landing gears alone, especially if you still have warranty active. If there is an issue that occurs fromt he customization, then you would end up paying for the repairs. If that does not matter, then it would be at your discretion.
2017-1-12
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-1-12 15:07
Aloha faust,

Hey, you have removable propguards to!  I tried the heat gun to but my problem was too extensive so out of one skin and into another!

You noticed 3D printed reinforcement plates under the motors. Those are the ones from UAV Bits, but they are only plates, not the ones for removable prop guards.
I have been thinking about prop guards lately however. While I don't really believe they would be of much value in a crash and they might even further stress the paper thin airframe, I wonder if they would save an innocent bystander from significant injury. If so, they would be well worth having.
2017-1-12
Use props
ARMONI319
lvl.2

Puerto Rico

Hello,
I've replaced a few landing gears on my P3S. It's an easy job. If you want to replace the compass sensor then you have to open the shell. If your original compass is in good order then keep it. Just remove the sensor and antenna from the landing gear. The compass sensor pcb is glued inside the small "box" at the right landing gear "leg". With a hobby knife and patience, remove the a portion of the glue so you can take the compass sensor out. The pcb is very small is goes right through the "hole" at the top of the landing gear where the white grommet is. You can use silicone to attach the pcb to the new landing gear. There are some  recesses in the landing gear to keep the compass sensor in place at the correct position. No need to force anything. If you prefer a more professional fit use polyurethane instead of silicone. White 3m 5200 marine is very similar to the glue applied at the factory, way stronger and better looking than silicone. BTW, I had to replace landing gears due to severe cracking after many landings. No crashes at all. Hope this helps.
2017-1-12
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rnfaust Posted at 2017-1-12 20:56
You noticed 3D printed reinforcement plates under the motors. Those are the ones from UAV Bits, but they are only plates, not the ones for removable prop guards.
I have been thinking about prop guards lately however. While I don't really believe they would be of much value in a crash and they might even further stress the paper thin airframe, I wonder if they would save an innocent bystander from significant injury. If so, they would be well worth having.

Aloha faust,

They did look different from the ones I have.  As to your question and concern about propguards, yes, they are very helpful in most medium to minor crashes and they definitely minimize damage to humans in an accident.  I have seen them in use and a friend still uses them.  They are particularly helpful around foliage and, I suppose from what I have seen, during winter and spring when branches are bare.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules