WILL THE MAVIC DETECT WATER LIKE THE P4P
4548 38 2017-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
watuse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

I want to know why is the obstecle avoidence of the mavic pro sonar sensor and lower facing camera does not detect water like the Phantom 4 pro does its the same type of hardware, I believe you could add this algorithm to the hardware so people wont have the mavic land on water. I for sure it should be introduce to the next firmware of the Mavic.
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello watuse, there's an landing protection option for Android device. It's not available for IOS device currently.
Here is the screenshot for your reference. landing protection.png
2017-1-11
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-11 00:14
Hello watuse, there's an landing protection option for Android device. It's not available for IOS device currently.
Here is the screenshot for your reference.[view_image]

Oh I am using my craft in iOS Mindy, today I took the mavic for a flight and I notice something when your flying in a place where you cannot get GPS signal I was getting sometimes 3 and sometimes none, it was flying something in Opti mode which work great it hovers perfectly but all of sudden it would switch to ATTI mode and it will drift I almost had it crash it was moving backward and when I look at the craft I push the stick forward and saved it but it was also drifting forward and almost crash too I was inside a monastery.  I have image of the place and also where it was flying  if I did not look at the craft it would of crash and also when I flew it outdoor of the monastery  I was not getting gps signal, the location is very deep in a vally with big rocky wall its  part of a mountain range but here I was not getting any gps and when in opti mode it will not go up to the altitude I put to fly in this place which was 40 meters it will just stop at a certain height and if I push forward it and the push the stick to gain altitude it will gain something but then tell me that maximum height reach which was not even close to 40 meters and out door it switch to ATT mode and started to drift and I had to gain control and land it it was weird I could send you the flight log but if there is no GPS you would not know where I was located.
2017-1-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

watuse Posted at 2017-1-11 09:53
Oh I am using my craft in iOS Mindy, today I took the mavic for a flight and I notice something when your flying in a place where you cannot get GPS signal I was getting sometimes 3 and sometimes none, it was flying something in Opti mode which work great it hovers perfectly but all of sudden it would switch to ATTI mode and it will drift I almost had it crash it was moving backward and when I look at the craft I push the stick forward and saved it but it was also drifting forward and almost crash too I was inside a monastery.  I have image of the place and also where it was flying  if I did not look at the craft it would of crash and also when I flew it outdoor of the monastery  I was not getting gps signal, the location is very deep in a vally with big rocky wall its  part of a mountain range but here I was not getting any gps and when in opti mode it will not go up to the altitude I put to fly in this place which was 40 meters it will just stop at a certain height and if I push forward it and the push the stick to gain altitude it will gain something but then tell me that maximum height reach which was not even close to 40 meters and out door it switch to ATT mode and started to drift and I had to gain control and land it it was weird I could send you the flight log but if there is no GPS you would not know where I was located.

It's normal for your AC to drift in Atti, did you not get a warning when it changed to Atti mode,
2017-1-11
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-11 10:05
It's normal for your AC to drift in Atti, did you not get a warning when it changed to Atti mode,

probably got a warning but did not see it I was looking at the screen in one point and the next I look up at the craft and saw it drifting towards the wall backward and Immediately  push the stick forward and manage not to get it to crash but it then started to drift forward straight and I manage to push the stick backward and avoid it crashing forward since the obstacle avoidance was not detecting it or not working in ATTI mode.. one thing for sure when you are in an environment with no gps signal and I am telling you I was outdoor in a place where there were no gps signal it won't got to a certain height at all.... These are photos from my iphone which I took outside where I was not getting no gps signal well I was not getting any signal from anything since I was in a very remote part where no GSM, no LTE, no satelite signal will enter, I was getting in the mavic outdoor 3 to 4 satelite. not enough for it to fly in gps mode.
IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG
2017-1-11
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Again and again people seem to expect a quad to stay perfectly still in all conditions.  It would be great if that was possible, but it's not currently realistic.

No doubt the technology can and will be improved, but I really don't understand the mentality.

My sincerest apologies if this appears like a rant.  It really isn't meant that way.

Cool location.
2017-1-11
Use props
Webassign
lvl.2
United States

My question would be, shouldn't VPS take over once the satellite mode cut out? And I built a hexcopter that use DJI's 5-yr old flight controller, and it handle very well in atti mode, I would assume the mavic shouldn't be terrible to handle in atti as well. However, it would be great if there's a function in the app that can manually switch between atti and gps just like the flight controllers for hobbyist can, so that you can always expect it to be in atti when gps signal is weak.
2017-1-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

watuse Posted at 2017-1-11 09:53

There are flight limits when in ATTI mode and OPTI mode. Please refer to the screenshot. Flight limits.png
2017-1-12
Use props
Jimney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103268 ft
United Kingdom

I'm still convinced there should be the option to manually select Atti like I can on my Phantom 2.

When you are flying where you get no or patchy GPS I always select Atti and you are aware of how the craft will behave with drift etc.

I think the current situation especially for beginner flyers is an accident waiting to happen.

Beginner flyers have no option to learn to control their craft in Atti mode and because of this they panic when there craft loses GPS and switches into Atti mode.

I am reading so many newbie posts on here that people are expecting no drift at all no matter what flight mode they are in. Newbies don't understand how the GPS or the lack of it will effect the stability of their craft.

It is the patchy GPS reception that will cause the most problems and panic.

AS a reasonably experienced pilot I took can get caught out sometimes when I have been flying in GPS in patchy areas and the GPS is lost
2017-1-12
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-12 00:36
There are flight limits when in ATTI mode and OPTI mode. Please refer to the screenshot. [view_image]

Thank you mindy I missed this information.... So I am guessing if anyone who loses GPS signal or does not have GPS signal outdoor this will be the cause of Flyaway, right , also I notice when I have the mavic on and I put it on top of the car it tells me to calibrate the compass but once I move the mavic away from the car when its place on roof of the car it will disappear the message of calibrate the compass.  Lately I am finding and doing some testing of the craft after I have received it from the Holland tech repair offices and though the craft is working much better than when I received it from the manufacturer, and i am guessing I had a defective ESC flight controller board this is the reason I was getting all sorts of bug glitches.... As of now I am very very please with the results with the craft flying. the one thing I do notice is that there are occasional  gimbal shake while flying. Yesterday I had a gimbal shake in 2 occasion while doing point of interest on a subject and when I hit the pause button on the RC controller I had two massive shake I will try to post those video...
2017-1-12
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

Jimney Posted at 2017-1-12 02:02
I'm still convinced there should be the option to manually select Atti like I can on my Phantom 2.

When you are flying where you get no or patchy GPS I always select Atti and you are aware of how the craft will behave with drift etc.

On the mavic there is no switch for flight mode it does it automatically like I said I was flying inside a monastery which is pretty big it was built on the side of a mountain wall and it took off fine in Opti mode when I put a bit of altitude height it was still in opti mode but once I was looking at the image which I wanted to show the altar I immediately saw it was in ATTI mode and I look up and it was drifting straight backward I did not panic just would of crash if I did not notice on the screen the ATTI mode when I look up it was just inches away from the wall of the structure part of the mountain and push the stick forward and when I did that it drift with out stopping toward the front of the wall of the structure of the mountain.. like if it did not have any breaking power I push the stick back so but what was not working was the front optical sensor which I was surprise..  I then lower the craft and it picked up Opti Mode and it stop to drift I am guessing there is a certain height limit for the optics and sonar sensor to work well.
2017-1-12
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-11 20:48
Again and again people seem to expect a quad to stay perfectly still in all conditions.  It would be great if that was possible, but it's not currently realistic.

No doubt the technology can and will be improved, but I really don't understand the mentality.

No rant it does hover well indoor but I think at a certain height I just finish explaining to someone that he thinks the mavic has a button where you could select the flight modes and you cant you have P mode and sport mode to select the other modes like ATTI and OPTI mode are automatically put in when you have no gps signal or some gps signal the location I was at yesterday there is no signal of any radio wave but just your and the mavic maybe once in a while I got three GPS signal and it will flip to OPTI mode but when there is no GPS signal it goes into ATTI mode, even when I was shooting outside of this monastery it will be in ATTI mode and hover perfectly well just that when you push the stick it will not have the same stopping breaking power as when your flying when it has gps signal it will drift like if it does not have any breaking power... I call it quicks when I notice the flight behavior on this and landed the craft, there were some dead trees with dry branches and did not wanted the craft crashing into it. The optical and sonar sensor in the bottom I believe has a certain height where it will work perfect but it will not work at a higher height if in ATTI mode is the most risky because it does not show any breaking power on the controls if you push to one of the side or forward and let go with out pushing backward or to one of the opposite side it will drift and this is where people have most crashes.
2017-1-12
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

Webassign Posted at 2017-1-11 22:40
My question would be, shouldn't VPS take over once the satellite mode cut out? And I built a hexcopter that use DJI's 5-yr old flight controller, and it handle very well in atti mode, I would assume the mavic shouldn't be terrible to handle in atti as well. However, it would be great if there's a function in the app that can manually switch between atti and gps just like the flight controllers for hobbyist can, so that you can always expect it to be in atti when gps signal is weak.

I agree but I think the modes ATTI and OPTI should be selected by the pilot not automatically...
2017-1-12
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

watuse Posted at 2017-1-12 02:59
No rant it does hover well indoor but I think at a certain height I just finish explaining to someone that he thinks the mavic has a button where you could select the flight modes and you cant you have P mode and sport mode to select the other modes like ATTI and OPTI mode are automatically put in when you have no gps signal or some gps signal the location I was at yesterday there is no signal of any radio wave but just your and the mavic maybe once in a while I got three GPS signal and it will flip to OPTI mode but when there is no GPS signal it goes into ATTI mode, even when I was shooting outside of this monastery it will be in ATTI mode and hover perfectly well just that when you push the stick it will not have the same stopping breaking power as when your flying when it has gps signal it will drift like if it does not have any breaking power... I call it quicks when I notice the flight behavior on this and landed the craft, there were some dead trees with dry branches and did not wanted the craft crashing into it. The optical and sonar sensor in the bottom I believe has a certain height where it will work perfect but it will not work at a higher height if in ATTI mode is the most risky because it does not show any breaking power on the controls if you push to one of the side or forward and let go with out pushing backward or to one of the opposite side it will drift and this is where people have most crashes.

Good explantation.  I do take your point about manual selection of ATTI  
I'll add that I can see the auto switching as more of an issue if you're in Tripod mode
2017-1-12
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683885 ft
South Africa

Well if it is of any help. On one of my early flights I initiated RTH. My launch area was from a blue foam pad which I unknowingly put next to an uneven surface with grass that had just been cut by a tractor. Being a larger grass cutter it seems it left small tall uneven grass behind covering a hole.

Anyways as it came in to land and paused for what I thought was the landing prompt about half a meter left of the pad. The app alerted me to the fact that the surface was not suitable to land and I should preposition the craft. I was very impressed, wife just laughed at me

Running iOS
2017-1-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

watuse Posted at 2017-1-12 02:43
Thank you mindy I missed this information.... So I am guessing if anyone who loses GPS signal or does not have GPS signal outdoor this will be the cause of Flyaway, right , also I notice when I have the mavic on and I put it on top of the car it tells me to calibrate the compass but once I move the mavic away from the car when its place on roof of the car it will disappear the message of calibrate the compass.  Lately I am finding and doing some testing of the craft after I have received it from the Holland tech repair offices and though the craft is working much better than when I received it from the manufacturer, and i am guessing I had a defective ESC flight controller board this is the reason I was getting all sorts of bug glitches.... As of now I am very very please with the results with the craft flying. the one thing I do notice is that there are occasional  gimbal shake while flying. Yesterday I had a gimbal shake in 2 occasion while doing point of interest on a subject and when I hit the pause button on the RC controller I had two massive shake I will try to post those video...

The best way to regain gps is to push left stick forward and ascend aircraft the higher you go the better chance you have of getting gps. Flying low under the cover of trees or buildings may block out gps sats.
2017-1-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

watuse Posted at 2017-1-12 02:59

What you don't seem to understand is that without sensors (GPS/Opti), there's no way it can have braking, because it has no information to know if it is moving.  It has no idea how much stopping power to apply to stop it.  There is no position hold in attitude mode.

Coming from a Phantom, I would also like to strongly recommend the ability to switch to atti mode when desired to have positive control.

Yes, as explained earlier, there is a limitation to the height above ground where Optical and ultrasonic sensors will work.
2017-1-12
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

PAYBACK Posted at 2017-1-12 08:55
Well if it is of any help. On one of my early flights I initiated RTH. My launch area was from a blue foam pad which I unknowingly put next to an uneven surface with grass that had just been cut by a tractor. Being a larger grass cutter it seems it left small tall uneven grass behind covering a hole.

Anyways as it came in to land and paused for what I thought was the landing prompt about half a meter left of the pad. The app alerted me to the fact that the surface was not suitable to land and I should preposition the craft. I was very impressed, wife just laughed at me

yeah that is a new awesome feature that DJI put in the latest update of the firmware and dji go app..
2017-1-13
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-12 10:46
The best way to regain gps is to push left stick forward and ascend aircraft the higher you go the better chance you have of getting gps. Flying low under the cover of trees or buildings may block out gps sats.

Yes I agree I try but I was in a zone where it would not allow me it will tell me maximum height reach and the location is pretty remote I could assure you and there were some dead dry tree with no leaves standing in the way where I would of love to push the height of the craft more.. The location is like in a narrow pass canyon almost like if I was in NYC with tall buildings..
2017-1-13
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-1-12 15:36
What you don't seem to understand is that without sensors (GPS/Opti), there's no way it can have braking, because it has no information to know if it is moving.  It has no idea how much stopping power to apply to stop it.  There is no position hold in attitude mode.

Coming from a Phantom, I would also like to strongly recommend the ability to switch to atti mode when desired to have positive control.

I do now thank you for your explanation.... I learn something new which I did not know and I assure you I won't be flying in places where I would not get gps signal at all or just very weak signal because with the mavic you don't know when it will switch from OPTI to ATTI and start drifting I learn this the hard way and lucky I was very aware where my craft was so no panic just pilot correction when I saw it drifting all over the place which I could not concentrate on what I wanted to film but looking at the craft going all over the places and with no breaking power, thank you for the tip, but this is something I learn 2 days ago heheheheheheheheh
2017-1-13
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-12 03:59
Good explantation.  I do take your point about manual selection of ATTI  
I'll add that I can see the auto switching as more of an issue if you're in Tripod mode

yeah man I really think most crashes of the mavic could be part of this cause..... imagine if they send you a poorly manufacture mavic which has problem with gps reception and all of sudden you have this ATTI mode and OPTI mode going back and fourth automatically its a crash or fly away bound to happen.
2017-1-13
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

watuse Posted at 2017-1-13 03:13
yeah man I really think most crashes of the mavic could be part of this cause..... imagine if they send you a poorly manufacture mavic which has problem with gps reception and all of sudden you have this ATTI mode and OPTI mode going back and fourth automatically its a crash or fly away bound to happen.

I'm not sure about flyaways but it can affect the consistency of movement indoors.  I agree.

The thing is, it's a really sticky problem to solve.  There will always be locations where GPS is lost, and there will always be circumstances where VPS can't determine position.

I'd really like a selectable ATTI option, but I can't help feeling that there are a portion of users out there that would crash in ATTI in the same situation (and maybe crash more quickly)

I feel like selectable ATTI will be a good step, but some people will ultimately just need a product with side and rear sensors.
2017-1-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Some people will always need training wheels, no matter how long they ride.  
2017-1-13
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-13 04:26
I'm not sure about flyaways but it can affect the consistency of movement indoors.  I agree.

The thing is, it's a really sticky problem to solve.  There will always be locations where GPS is lost, and there will always be circumstances where VPS can't determine position.

I could not disagree with you for sure, You know what I also notice a typical lens flare that is not the one we see normally with the hood on or when the mavic is facing forward I am going to open a discussion about this because I have seen this flare when the sun is behind and the mavic camera is facing away from the sun there is a hot spot always showing up something I think is a lens glare, or something.
2017-1-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

watuse Posted at 2017-1-12 02:43

It will not guarantee the performance of the gimbal when it's braking. Please try to slow down the aircraft gently.  As for the shaking while doing point of interest, please post a video here. I'll help to check it.
2017-1-15
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-15 01:32
It will not guarantee the performance of the gimbal when it's braking. Please try to slow down the aircraft gently.  As for the shaking while doing point of interest, please post a video here. I'll help to check it.

here is the video I linked it up so you could see
2017-1-15
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2370988 ft
  • >>>
United States

watuse Posted at 2017-1-12 03:09
I agree but I think the modes ATTI and OPTI should be selected by the pilot not automatically...

Maybe this will help:

GPS + Vision = GPS mode
Vision only = OPTI mode
NO GPS + NO Vision = ATTI mode

If you fly without GPS and loses vision it has to automatically switch to ATTI mode.  It cannot magically switch to any mode you choose.
2017-1-15
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

yoengel Posted at 2017-1-15 22:35
Maybe this will help:

GPS + Vision = GPS mode

I know but why the phantom has the switch of the flight mode like P mode, S mode, Atti mode
2017-1-15
Use props
cicciopilota
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36624 ft
  • >>>

I agree with you to put a switch, but wich wil be the advantage of this if start in optimode anfd flight in low light, the good thisngs is tahth should be mnatain better the positiuon inatti mode and not dirft, i know demends from  lot factor p4 is mor heavvy inside air move genarate wind etc should be tested outside without wind
2017-1-16
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

watuse Posted at 2017-1-15 23:02
I know but why the phantom has the switch of the flight mode like P mode, S mode, Atti mode

What do you intend to do with ATTI mode that you can't do with Sport mode?

Maybe people didn't use ATTI mode that much so they took it out.  Why do you need it?
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

watuse Posted at 2017-1-15 20:00
here is the video I linked it up so you could see https://youtu.be/DqE-7iEeJtg

Please try to do a gimbal calibration and if the shaking happened frequently, I'd suggest you to send it in for further evaluation.
2017-1-16
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-16 22:07
Please try to do a gimbal calibration and if the shaking happened frequently, I'd suggest you to send it in for further evaluation.

Thank you Mindy I will do that today and also I have another question do you see on my video sometimes there is a soft side on the right side of the image sometimes its sharp and sometimes its not so sharp like when there is very little light passing through it will get like this soft focus look at this video

The soft spot is located on the lower right maybe the calibration will fix this today I will take more footage and testing, these two days I did not use the drone since Saturday because we had strong winds and I did not want to take the risk with the mavic in flying with strong winds even though with the castle footage there were high strong winds but it handle pretty well.
2017-1-17
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

yoengel Posted at 2017-1-16 17:17
What do you intend to do with ATTI mode that you can't do with Sport mode?

Maybe people didn't use ATTI mode that much so they took it out.  Why do you need it?

I think there is a reason why the engineer of DJI decided that they would only allow P mode and Sport Mode not he RC but the other modes will go in automatically, when there is no GPS signal, the only thing I see that many people are having indoor crashes is because the automatic switch in ATTI mode and OPTI mode which OPTI mode is using the optical sensor to maintain stability, when in ATTI mode you have to be on the sticks constantly correcting the drift of the craft. Not many people know this unless they have had experiences with other DJI drones.
2017-1-17
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

seems to fix that problem with the calibration on the gimbal.
2017-1-17
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

I was shooting footage today and notice while editing that the same jerk movement happen again only this time going backward. it did it with this video.

Today was also very windy
2017-1-17
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

watuse Posted at 2017-1-17 01:04
I think there is a reason why the engineer of DJI decided that they would only allow P mode and Sport Mode not he RC but the other modes will go in automatically, when there is no GPS signal, the only thing I see that many people are having indoor crashes is because the automatic switch in ATTI mode and OPTI mode which OPTI mode is using the optical sensor to maintain stability, when in ATTI mode you have to be on the sticks constantly correcting the drift of the craft. Not many people know this unless they have had experiences with other DJI drones.

Switching to sport mode indoors without GPS will force the Mavic to use ATTI mode.  There's your answer.  Is this a good idea to do indoors, absolutely NOT.

Are you saying that people are crashing indoors because there is no ATTI switch, and not because they are not reading the manual?  I really doubt the ATTI switch will prevent this, they don't even know what it is.
2017-1-17
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

yoengel Posted at 2017-1-17 15:11
Switching to sport mode indoors without GPS will force the Mavic to use ATTI mode.  There's your answer.  Is this a good idea to do indoors, absolutely NOT.

Are you saying that people are crashing indoors because there is no ATTI switch, and not because they are not reading the manual?  I really doubt the ATTI switch will prevent this, they don't even know what it is.

yeah that could be the answer what your saying maybe its switch to sport and indoor it will go into ATTI mode I will test that out to see. what are the results.
2017-1-17
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

watuse Posted at 2017-1-17 22:27
yeah that could be the answer what your saying maybe its switch to sport and indoor it will go into ATTI mode I will test that out to see. what are the results.

Unless you can do this in a large open area, I would not recommend going on ATTI mode indoors.
2017-1-18
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

yoengel Posted at 2017-1-18 15:17
Unless you can do this in a large open area, I would not recommend going on ATTI mode indoors.

I also do not recommend it also
2017-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules