Inspire 1 Flight Envelope - Potential vs Restrictions
1614 3 2015-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Muscadel
lvl.3

South Africa

Hallo Fellow Pilots

I have some questions and they may well be addressed in some obscure guide somewhere, but my strongest suite is not reading the manuals.

Can some of you more experienced pilots please enlighten me?

First Question:

I understand the Inspire has a potential of reaching FL4 (4000 meters above Sea level)
I presume this means that your take-off position can be as high as FL4, and you should still be able to fly ground level to 500m ?
In other words, the Inspire can operate at air densities of 4000m above sea level.

My naughty question is : If one happens to live quite close to the coast, can the artificial software limit of 500m be overridden?
I would like to do one flight and get up to say 800 - 1000m at least once, just for kicks, (obviously in an area where there are absolutely no air traffic of any sorts)

Second Question:

Although the potential speed of the Inspire may well be above or around 30m/s, the best I've been able to get is 23m/s downwind
How does one fiddle with the software to get a more aggressive flight envelope without the danger of flipping the Inspire?
I would love for my Inspire to be able to descend much faster, for instance.
Straight line speed would also be nice

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help!
2015-2-15
Use props
michael-dicker.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5134951 ft
Germany

1) No   (would need to rewrite copyrighted code)

2) descend is limited for the reason of vortex ring wind. If you go very fast inside your downwash wind, control is limited.
2015-2-16
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Pushing the envelope

According to the specs page, the operating ceiling is 4500 m ASL. There is a You Tube video of a P2 flying at Everest base camp. Lift will decrease but you can fly.
For the sake of allowing us to keep our hobby, please please don't break height restrictions. 500m AGL is pretty decent. Remember, one bad accident ANYWHERE in the world, WILL cause regulators to react.

I agree with MD that over-rapid descent is dangerous because of the vortex ring state. People have lost their craft descending too quickly. On a P2 in GPS mode, rate of descent was controlled by firmware. As you might expect smart alecks began to complain but I think it generally makes sense to do this. You can safely descend relatively more rapidly if you are moving horizontally. VRS is most problematic if going straight down in calm air.
2015-2-18
Use props
dandmpetro
lvl.2

United States

I still don't understand why people would like to bring these birds to the limits.  I see no reason to go as fast as it will go and I see no reason to get then right to there max altitude.  I believe although they are fast most of the problems people experience are because the max the birds out.  On very important thing that is not addressed in the specs are the stress levels at short turning radiuses at high speeds.  Is it so imperative to bring them to the limit  Not to mention overwriting programming and bypassing functions.    Then there are new posts crying that there bird fell out of the sky.
2015-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules