4871 52 2017-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ma_koch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70121 ft
Germany

Hi all,
I thought after waiting quite a bit for the Mavic Pro I'll share my first video with you guys. We've travelled a week through Iceland which turns out to be the perfect proving ground for the Mavic. Well I still miss the art color mode (btw does anybody know what's the status on this?) but I think the Mavic performed really good especially if you see that there are only 4-5 hours of daylight per day and the light you're getting is not really bright.

Filmed in 2.7k - scaled down to 1080

Cheers

2017-1-11
Use props
fans4a183065
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

wow this is amazing! I love your colorgrading
2017-1-11
Use props
EIDW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 719318 ft
Ireland

Really nice! Thanks ;)
2017-1-11
Use props
Brutus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124304 ft
Netherlands

Amazing! I like your flying skills and post production. Really beautiful! And of course the scenery is awesome. Well done!
2017-1-11
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"I still miss the art color mode (btw does anybody know what's the status on this?)"

They are in denial I think, a DJI staffer on here told us it is still there
2017-1-11
Use props
fans2b72ee9e
lvl.1
United States

Awesome Job! I will be in Iceland for a week in June and I can't wait to to get the Mavic out there! Just out of curiosity, did you do anything special as far packing your batteries for the flight?
2017-1-11
Use props
Cage
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21191 ft
United States

Wow, that looks incredible! How cold was it there?
2017-1-11
Use props
Ackdoh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6014 ft
United States

Lovely locales!
2017-1-11
Use props
UtahKevin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 301535 ft
United States

Great video, nice smooth flying!
2017-1-11
Use props
UtahKevin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 301535 ft
United States

Great video, nice smooth flying
2017-1-11
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

excellent gimbal control. Would you mid sharing your EXP settings as well as gimbal settings.
2017-1-11
Use props
ma_koch
lvl.2
Germany

fans2b72ee9e Posted at 2017-1-11 17:56
Awesome Job! I will be in Iceland for a week in June and I can't wait to to get the Mavic out there! Just out of curiosity, did you do anything special as far packing your batteries for the flight?

Thanks! Nah since the smart batteries look less like explosive packs than the batterie packs of the P1 I didn't do anything special for packing. I've packed everything together in my camera backpack and went through security without any hassle. Just a thing to remember in case you don't know, most airlines don't allow batteries in checked bags so be sure to pack batteries in your carry on.
2017-1-11
Use props
ma_koch
lvl.2
Germany

Cage Posted at 2017-1-11 18:14
Wow, that looks incredible! How cold was it there?

Thanks! We were quite lucky as the temperatures were inbetween -10 and 0 degrees the whole time. I've heard it can get a lot colder which makes controlling the mavic with your frozen fingers a little bit difficult.
2017-1-11
Use props
Pierre35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117881 ft
Malaysia

Cool video. Traveled to Iceland last month but didn't manage to get footage that nice due to mostly cloudy days and very windy.
2017-1-12
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Great footage. Iceland's on our list too
2017-1-12
Use props
gslick
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Great video!!!

Did you see the northern lights?
Any more flying tips to share, I am going to Iceland in 4 weeks time with my Mavic.

Did you fly it at night?
2017-1-12
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Vrey, very beautiful. Well done.
2017-1-12
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

How long have you been flying camera equipped drones for? I too would be interested in how you set the gimbal and flight controls up. Apart from having stunning subject material, this presentation is very impressive. Smooth pans leading to brilliant reveals, rock steady movement and great exposure settings given the light conditions combined with great editing skills make this one of the best videos I've seen produced using the Mavic. Give yourself a pat on the back: I'm sure the Icelandic tourist board would be very interested in what you have put together here!
2017-1-12
Use props
lignow
lvl.4
Canada

Fantastic
2017-1-12
Use props
ma_koch
lvl.2
Germany

gslick Posted at 2017-1-12 01:56
Great video!!!

Did you see the northern lights?

Thanks a lot! Yes we were that lucky that we had two nights where we could see the famous aurora borealis! One of the most beautiful things I've seen so far.
Flying tips.. puh let me think - definitely take good care of your batteries! Iceland can be cold so you probably want to wear a lot of layers of clothing. Make sure that you keep your batteries warm in some pockets near your body. Nothing is more annoying than hiking to an awesome place with the goal of flying your drone and you notice that your batteries are only half full.
Finding a good take off / landing spot is key, too, as there are a lot of rocks and boulders and you don't want your mavic to land sketchy on uneven terrain, that'll probably harm your gimbal / camera.
Nah I didn't fly at night. I'm still really new to that whole drone thing so I wanted to start slow and steady.
Have fun on your trip - looking forward to the footage!
Cheers
2017-1-12
Use props
gslick
lvl.2

United Kingdom

ma_koch Posted at 2017-1-12 04:51
Thanks a lot! Yes we were that lucky that we had two nights where we could see the famous aurora borealis! One of the most beautiful things I've seen so far.
Flying tips.. puh let me think - definitely take good care of your batteries! Iceland can be cold so you probably want to wear a lot of layers of clothing. Make sure that you keep your batteries warm in some pockets near your body. Nothing is more annoying than hiking to an awesome place with the goal of flying your drone and you notice that your batteries are only half full.
Finding a good take off / landing spot is key, too, as there are a lot of rocks and boulders and you don't want your mavic to land sketchy on uneven terrain, that'll probably harm your gimbal / camera.

Thank for the advice
2017-1-12
Use props
ma_koch
lvl.2
Germany

rick39 Posted at 2017-1-12 02:31
How long have you been flying camera equipped drones for? I too would be interested in how you set the gimbal and flight controls up. Apart from having stunning subject material, this presentation is very impressive. Smooth pans leading to brilliant reveals, rock steady movement and great exposure settings given the light conditions combined with great editing skills make this one of the best videos I've seen produced using the Mavic. Give yourself a pat on the back: I'm sure the Icelandic tourist board would be very interested in what you have put together here!

Hi Rick,
well where should I start. First of all thanks a lot! I feel really honored by your words!
I'm really new to drones but I was always interested in that topic. I started with one of those parrot toy drones a couple of years ago and taped my GoPro on it, just to find out that this footage was really shaky and gross. After a while I found the first Phantom and was stoked on it, attached a gimbal beneath the drone and tried to find my subject without seeing what the actual camera films, which wasn't really appealing as well. When DJI introduced the mavic I was really stoked and thought I'll give it another try as the flexibility of a foldable drone was just too good to be true. So yap here we are - all in all I would say I had 2 hours of flying time before the mavic and with the mavic I currently have 1hr 37 min.

I'm happy to share my settings with you but at the time of flying in Iceland my gimbal and control settings were on standard and I just tried to be as sensitif as possible with the controls. Right now I've changed EXP to 0.25 | 0.20 | 0.25 and just see how that goes. All clips before that glacier & lake shot were in a weird color mode which I really don't like as it crushes the blacks too much. I tried to get the most of those clips. The clips of the glacier and the lake were shot in d-cinelike at -1 | 0 | 0.
Right now I've changed this to Cinelike -1 | -3 | -3 and just see how that goes.

I hope that helps! And once again thanks a lot for your kind words!
Cheers!
2017-1-12
Use props
ma_koch
lvl.2
Germany

Thanks guys for so many nice words!
2017-1-12
Use props
LCWphotography
lvl.1
United States

ma_koch Posted at 2017-1-11 23:04
Thanks! Nah since the smart batteries look less like explosive packs than the batterie packs of the P1 I didn't do anything special for packing. I've packed everything together in my camera backpack and went through security without any hassle. Just a thing to remember in case you don't know, most airlines don't allow batteries in checked bags so be sure to pack batteries in your carry on.

Ok great! Thanks for the advice!
2017-1-12
Use props
M K ULTRA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5778337 ft
United States

Well Done!  Beautifully crafted.  Nice contrasting imagery with smooth camera work.... and the music was a solid choice!  Iceland could easily use it in their tourism promotions.
2017-1-12
Use props
gslick
lvl.2

United Kingdom

one last question, how many batteries did you take with you, did they last long ?
2017-1-12
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

ma_koch Posted at 2017-1-12 05:31
Hi Rick,
well where should I start. First of all thanks a lot! I feel really honored by your words!
I'm really new to drones but I was always interested in that topic. I started with one of those parrot toy drones a couple of years ago and taped my GoPro on it, just to find out that this footage was really shaky and gross. After a while I found the first Phantom and was stoked on it, attached a gimbal beneath the drone and tried to find my subject without seeing what the actual camera films, which wasn't really appealing as well. When DJI introduced the mavic I was really stoked and thought I'll give it another try as the flexibility of a foldable drone was just too good to be true. So yap here we are - all in all I would say I had 2 hours of flying time before the mavic and with the mavic I currently have 1hr 37 min.

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to your next assignment!
2017-1-12
Use props
ma_koch
lvl.2
Germany

gslick Posted at 2017-1-12 15:01
one last question, how many batteries did you take with you, did they last long ?

Hi gslick,
I took two but I wish I had more. I didn't take the time but from my gut feeling it was normal so around 20 min
2017-1-16
Use props
gslick
lvl.2

United Kingdom

ma_koch Posted at 2017-1-16 09:19
Hi gslick,
I took two but I wish I had more. I didn't take the time but from my gut feeling it was normal so around 20 min

Thanks, for the info!
2017-1-18
Use props
induster
lvl.1

United States

Your movie is INCREDIBLE. No words for how beautiful Iceland is. Will you be my personal tour guide?! Amazing job thanks!
2017-1-18
Use props
bastiseb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 348986 ft
France

superbe !  why scaled down to 1080 ?
2017-1-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great job. Brings to mind that we need a setting for snow (overexpose 1 1/2 stops)
2017-1-20
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Stunning images..! wow!
2017-1-20
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481778 ft
United States

this is fantastic...what camera settings did you use and how did you ensure continual focus and nail the exposure settings?  What tools did you use for post production (edit/grading)?
lack of tap exposure set on the mavic and contantly worrying about focus (after having some captured blurry footage this is soemthing you constantly worry about.

dave
2017-1-20
Use props
Blucenturion
lvl.2
Flight distance : 362995 ft
United States

Great video. What kind of shaving lotion do you use?
2017-1-20
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

One of if not the best video I've seen yet
2017-1-20
Use props
jsflysrc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 503215 ft
Canada

Awesome video.   How cold was it when you recorded the glacier?
2017-1-21
Use props
trickn0l0gy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 156040 ft
Switzerland

Great video! What did you use to do the tracked title and what tool / how did you do the grading? Thank you for sharing.
2017-1-21
Use props
Starfoxjaden
New

United States

Wow man! This is amazing!
2017-1-21
Use props
flowbie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124281 ft
Canada

Well that was the best 3 minutes and 13 seconds I've spent today. Thank you for sharing this.
2017-1-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules