Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lume Cubes on my P3P
1240 14 2017-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RonBurk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4844216 ft
United States

Here's some video showing the installation and video shot at night with the cubes.
2017-1-11
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nice - looks like a UFO !!!
2017-1-11
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Ron,

You might want to put at least one zip-tie through each bracket and around the leg.  The small zip-tie is very lite but heavy on security.  I have them around all four legs.  The plastic wedge where it meets the leg may break off, but the cube will still be attached.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-11
Use props
ems12a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 555863 ft
  • >>>
United States

I heard the mounting brackets that come with the Lume Cubes is kinda sucky and breaks easily.

Its the main reason I haven't bought t hem for the Phantom 4 yet.
2017-1-11
Use props
RonBurk
lvl.4
United States

Chriscycling Posted at 2017-1-11 14:49
Nice - looks like a UFO !!!

Yeah,  really doesn't do that much for video once you gain a little altitude, but your bird sure looks cool flying!
2017-1-11
Use props
RonBurk
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-1-11 14:53
Aloha Ron,

You might want to put at least one zip-tie through each bracket and around the leg.  The small zip-tie is very lite but heavy on security.  I have them around all four legs.  The plastic wedge where it meets the leg may break off, but the cube will still be attached.

Good idea. I'll keep that in mind if I ever fly it high and away with the cubes on.
2017-1-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

ems12a@gmail.co Posted at 2017-1-11 15:07
I heard the mounting brackets that come with the Lume Cubes is kinda sucky and breaks easily.

There was an issue, but after contacting the manufactures and expressing the fault, where a few pairs failed, they went ahead and modified the p4 mount. The new ones are solid and safe to use. They will happily replace any ones mounts that are fractured or broken.  ;-)

Ken has modified his mounts to prepare them for any malfunction or accidental injury. ;-$

RedHotPoker
2017-1-11
Use props
RonBurk
lvl.4
United States

ems12a@gmail.co Posted at 2017-1-11 15:07

I think they are 3D printed (I read somewhere) so not sure of their strength, but the ones I have seem sturdy enough. This is probably a "once in a while" thing for me anyway. I'm a photographer/videographer and really bought the cubes to use for more practical applications.
2017-1-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I know of one set that broke from extended use. The owner left them attached to his Phantom 4 constantly, and never took them off.

Lume Cube sent him a new beefed up pair.

They have also made available Phantom 3 Standard mounts, upon request... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-11
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Looks like my second set they replaced, after my first set broke in first week, is yet again a weak set again from the video.  Grrr!!!  

My first set broke at the tripod screw area, and both broke about a week apart.  Second set they sent under warranty looks like maybe a little more beef was added to the tripod area, but the one in the video above trumps my skinny pair a lot!  Must be a lot heavier too.  Must be at least three generations of the mount so far.

The first cheap 3D pair looked like talcum powder in the middle of the break.  Maybe not cooked hot enough in the printer.

Cracked bracket.

Cracked bracket.

Replacement bracket.

Replacement bracket.
2017-1-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah, those first ones were pretty thin in the material.

Hopefully you won't have any more future issue with them newer ones.

They look quite sturdy. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-11
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-11 16:26
Yeah, those first ones were pretty thin in the material.

Hopefully you won't gave future issue with them newer ones.

The second ones they sent me are no where near the looks of RonBurk's in the video above.  They are maybe one millimeter wider around the blue tripod screw area.  No doubt this second pair I have led to Ron's sturdier one.  I suspect my second set will break soon too.

Photo below shows first one that broke on left (Pencil mark is where I glued it), but you can see another crack about 10 o'clock near the blue tripod area forming.  The one on the right is the new pair they sent me.  Don't look like Ron's at all.  Have to watch which mount you get as there might be three generations of them now.

1st and 2nd Generation mounts?

1st and 2nd Generation mounts?
2017-1-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-1-11 21:27
The second ones they sent me are no where near the looks of RonBurk's in the video above.  They are maybe one millimeter wider around the blue tripod screw area.  No doubt this second pair I have led to Ron's sturdier one.  I suspect my second set will break soon too.

Photo below shows first one that broke on left (Pencil mark is where I glued it), but you can see another crack about 10 o'clock near the blue tripod area forming.  The one on the right is the new pair they sent me.  Don't look like Ron's at all.  Have to watch which mount you get as there might be three generations of them now.

Yes, suppose they will continue to develop their mounts, until they have it just right.  ;-)
I only put my mounts on the drone when we're going fly with my Lume Cubes attached. Otherwise they are stored in my Nanuk 945 flight kit case.  Leaving them attached to your landing gear for extended periods of time doesn't seem wise, since it's a pressure fit, that does take a fair amount of pressure to squeeze them on.
Perhaps a stronger 3D print medium will be alternatively swapped out eventually?
Making those breaks a thing of the past. ;-)

By the way, the mounts shown in the op video are just like mine. Those are the Phantom 3 mounts with the octagon cutouts. Which are much thicker than those Phantom 4 versions.

RedHotPoker

2017-1-11
Use props
snsjetsP3A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2730518 ft
United States

Has anyone found a coupon code for these? There aren't any current coupons available as far as I can tell. I really want a set but am having a very hard time dishing 180 bills for a small LED.
2017-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Looking good..
2017-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now