Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
UK - Where to fly
12Next >
14312 45 2017-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53340 ft
United States

I live in Hampshire, UK and looking for somewhere to practice my flying, so free from buildings, people, etc. Everytime I think/contemplate somewhere, I do a quick bit of surfing and find that the local council or commission prohibits drones. So, I'm getting a little despondent. I've joined the BMFA and got their insurance, and this weekend I'm visiting, with a view to joining, the local BMFA Radio Controlled Helicopter (and multi-rotor) club.
There seems to be plenty of (ios/Android) apps that tell you where you *can't* fly, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of an app/web site that indicates where one *can* fly, possibly based on crowd/community feedback.

2017-1-12
Use props
Ccrazed
lvl.1
Germany

Does the local council or commission have the authority to prohibit drones? I do not think so. Drone regulations are governed by the CAA and as long as you are flying within their guidelines there should be no problem.

http://www.hampshire.police.uk/i ... police-in-Hampshire
2017-1-12
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Ccrazed Posted at 2017-1-12 21:05
Does the local council or commission have the authority to prohibit drones? I do not think so. Drone regulations are governed by the CAA and as long as you are flying within their guidelines there should be no problem.

http://www.hampshire.police.uk/internet/news-and-appeals/2015/december/161215Getting-a-personal-drone-for-Christmas+Use-with-caution-warn-police-in-Hampshire

You're right the CAA is responsible for regulating the flying of aircraft including drones, however, what councils and certain other landowners can do is put inplace rules that govern what you can and can't do while you are on their land and increasingly this may include the flying of aircraft/drones.  This is driven by a multitude of different reasons : safety, insurance, etc.. but often it may be a blanket approach based on perceived risks.  The challenge is that in UK, and particularly around large built up towns and cities there are few spaces that aren't owned or managed by someone.

I'm sure that when the first bicycles arrived on the scene they were seen as a threat and there was a push back, but over time as they became the norm, the risks understood & mitigated, rules formed and people educated it became easier.  Hopefully this will become the same with drones.
2017-1-13
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

As an example, one location I thought would be quite good was the New Forest, but if you look here:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/beeh-aevgs5

it is expressly forbidden without permission, and another article indicates that one is unlikely to get permission. It seems most forestry commissions have the same attitude
2017-1-13
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-1-13 04:27
As an example, one location I thought would be quite good was the New Forest, but if you look here:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/beeh-aevgs5

Wrt the New Forest, I can understand their reasoning in that there wild ponies, other wildlife and a lot of people, however, they have to remember that often they are custodians of land for the public's use and they have to try and balance different groups' needs.

It's an interesting interpretation that they make of their bylaws as in their web page they say that you can't fly a drone from or over their land.  Their bylaws do cover 'from' but are silent on 'over'.  I would have thought that the CAA is responsible for governing that rather than them so it might be a moot point if you were complying with CAA rules about safety whether they could stop you.  What you would have to consider however is whether you were causing a nuisance to other users or wildlife.

Maybe over time these organisations will become a bit more balanced and perhaps out of season and say before 0900 and after 1900 it would be allowed in certain areas.  A bit like some beaches do with allowing access for dogs!
2017-1-13
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

“One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.

2017-1-13
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-1-13 08:33
“One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.

Excellent quote!
2017-1-13
Use props
Wizzokartworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4109377 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We fly at the old raf in Lincolnshire it's mega place to fly a dragon ne
2017-1-13
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

A1000 Posted at 2017-1-13 08:23
Wrt the New Forest, I can understand their reasoning in that there wild ponies, other wildlife and a lot of people, however, they have to remember that often they are custodians of land for the public's use and they have to try and balance different groups' needs.

It's an interesting interpretation that they make of their bylaws as in their web page they say that you can't fly a drone from or over their land.  Their bylaws do cover 'from' but are silent on 'over'.  I would have thought that the CAA is responsible for governing that rather than them so it might be a moot point if you were complying with CAA rules about safety whether they could stop you.  What you would have to consider however is whether you were causing a nuisance to other users or wildlife.

As long as you don't take off or land on their land I don't think they can stop you flying over it so long as you comply with the CAA rules.  If this were not the case even commercial airlines couldn't fly over the New Forest based on their published rules which would clearly be nonsense.
2017-1-14
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
United Kingdom

birdingbilly Posted at 2017-1-14 14:50
As long as you don't take off or land on their land I don't think they can stop you flying over it so long as you comply with the CAA rules.  If this were not the case even commercial airlines couldn't fly over the New Forest based on their published rules which would clearly be nonsense.

As I understand it I think that you're correct, however, if you are causing a nuisance they may be able to take action in certain sircumstances but it would be a long and convoluted process which probably wouldn't be in anyone's interest.

The real challenge is that whilst most drone flyers are responsible the ones that will get noticed will be the ones who don't act in a respectful way.

Some countries have created airspace restrictions over national parks up to say 2,000ft which precludes drones but doesn't affect aircraft.
2017-1-15
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Ccrazed Posted at 2017-1-12 21:05

http://www.hampshire.police.uk/internet/news-and-appeals/2015/december/161215Getting-a-personal-drone-for-Christmas+Use-with-caution-warn-police-in-Hampshire

You may find that your local authority does have the authority under local Bye laws to prohibit Drones on their beaches or other Public Places.

A local British Model Flying Club in North East UK, once informed me that if you didnt join their club you couldn't fly on the land even though it was public land freely accessibly to people walking dogs and for recreation, owned by the local authority.  They informed me that the local authority had already prosecuted some model flyers for flying on  the land when not a member of the local flying club who had the sole rights for flying model aircraft.

So best check with your local authority.  Also be careful of areas of SSSI's along the coastal areas where rangers also patrol and may ban you from flying there.
2017-1-15
Use props
fans3d90b992
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1406991 ft
United Kingdom

Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission..  that's always been my thinking
2017-1-15
Use props
RobJ
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I use an app called "NATS Drone Assist" to give indication of area's to fly, its pretty handy to show places which may be an issue, most is common sense and a lot of councils / private land owners are a lot more aware now than before of UAS
2017-1-15
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United States

RobJ Posted at 2017-1-15 13:10
I use an app called "NATS Drone Assist" to give indication of area's to fly, its pretty handy to show places which may be an issue, most is common sense and a lot of councils / private land owners are a lot more aware now than before of UAS

I saw that app, but it seems to want your email address *and* phone number, although it doesn't explain why. Also, does it fall into that category of displaying places you can't fly, not a list of where you can fly.
2017-1-16
Use props
Vass88
lvl.1
Flight distance : 190341 ft
United Kingdom

Hayling Island beach has a ByLaw for R/C aircraft - we all fly there  :-)
2017-1-17
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 778209 ft
United Kingdom

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-1-16 08:27
I saw that app, but it seems to want your email address *and* phone number, although it doesn't explain why. Also, does it fall into that category of displaying places you can't fly, not a list of where you can fly.

I use NATS Drone Assist, its the recommended App on the Drone Code website, its so handy and easy to use, you might get shocked when using it because in most of the best places to fly, you will find it will be a "No fly Area". Get it, handy App. I walked to a neighbouring park which was a 20 minute hike but worth knowing I was out of the "No fly" zone.
2017-1-17
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-1-16 08:27

I didn't want my phone number, and let me in with a fake email address.

It just gives you warnings and info about areas, most of it is airports and the like. Also has ground hazards which seem quite random and incomplete.

But the nice part of it is the notams thing where it shows the time limited restrictions or warnings. Starting in 2 hours I have military aircraft practicing airdrops a few miles down the road. The app says - warning, fly with extreme caution - ok, thanks for that

Tomorrow I have fast jets doing intercept training 10 miles down the road, again fly with caution message. This is a great app, hope I get some good footage

{:4_177:}
2017-1-17
Use props
fans5676a5a2
New

United Kingdom

I find drone assist handy but in Herts quite large open spaces to fly
2017-1-17
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United States

I just registered. I see that for iOS:

What's New in Version 1.1.2766
Updated sign-in experience.

which seems to mean no phone number required. Even with the new version, it's a disappointing experience with little value beyond the standard geofencing map drawing and NOTAMs. Will continue with the quest of where can I fly.
2017-1-18
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United States

Ah ha... there's an iOS app called "Drone Zones" where users put pins on a map and then rate suitability/privacy etc. This app has some potential. Quite a few locations in Hampshire that others have pioneered. Quite liking the look of Farnham Park, especially the north section, away from the castle/town/dog walkers etc.. Map of park is here http://www.waverley.gov.uk/downl ... visitor_leaflet.pdf
2017-1-18
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-1-18 05:28
Ah ha... there's an iOS app called "Drone Zones" where users put pins on a map and then rate suitability/privacy etc. This app has some potential. Quite a few locations in Hampshire that others have pioneered. Quite liking the look of Farnham Park, especially the north section, away from the castle/town/dog walkers etc.. Map of park is here http://www.waverley.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/4531/farnham_park_visitor_leaflet.pdf

It's a nice location and some nice views across the castle and town.  As a public park, probably the art is one of keeping a low profile! So an early morning activity
2017-1-18
Use props
Hangman3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79692 ft
United Kingdom

Look at the apps you have that tell where you cant fly & take heed. So in my book everywhere is free to play.
2017-1-19
Use props
Andyg01
lvl.1
Flight distance : 256624 ft
United Kingdom

Please review this will help you decide
2017-1-20
Use props
Andyg01
lvl.1
Flight distance : 256624 ft
United Kingdom

Please review this will help you decide
2017-1-20
Use props
Geo66
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I'm based in Derby, close to East Midlands airport no fly zone unfortunately. I also use NATS Drone Assist for Android but it doesn't warn me that Derby council have passed a by-law prohibiting flying in their public parks.
Derby Telegraph Story
It's being challenged but I don't expect much.

I'm a new drone pilot. I've asked about 6 landowners so far if I could take off/land/fly over their property and got 1 yes, 4 no and one guy that I'm sure would've shot me if he'd happened to be holding his gun. Must've had a bad drone experience.

I'm now looking into joining a club so at least there is one legal place I can practice.

I strongly recommend that UK drone pilots check their local by-laws before assuming that flying in public areas is legal. And get insured, it's cheap and can help to put peoples minds at ease.
2017-1-23
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Geo66 Posted at 2017-1-23 05:19
I'm based in Derby, close to East Midlands airport no fly zone unfortunately. I also use NATS Drone Assist for Android but it doesn't warn me that Derby council have passed a by-law prohibiting flying in their public parks.
Derby Telegraph Story

Hi there.. This is exactly what I was experiencing, hence being curious about places one *can* fly. I've since joined the BMFA Helicopter/Multi-rotor club I spoke about and have had enormous fun/experience learning to fly without any restrictions. In the meantime I'm still researching 'parks', Points of Interest, surfing for the word "drone" :-) Lack of the word reference is a good sign in my book.

Interestingly, the field I fly in with the club, one needs to sign an indemnity clause to absolve the farmer of any responsibility/liability, so I can imagine that the more informed ones will say 'no' to any personal/lone requests.
2017-1-23
Use props
Dazman1304
lvl.1

United Kingdom

anyone registered with these? http://dronereg.co.uk/
2017-1-23
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I like the .. "found/arrived in my back garden" notices..  :-)

On a serious note, I think from a lost/found perspective, probably more likely to see it again with some identifying tag/phone number label etc.

I've also thought about doing what another forum member has done and he's attached one of these:
http://www.trackimo.eu/en
2017-1-23
Use props
Geo66
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've installed Drone Zones for Android and it looks like it's a good simple app that just needs to increase it's user base. It's made by Newcastle University.
I'm going to add places to the map as soon as I find them.

Thanks for the info DaveDotNet.
2017-1-24
Use props
SJT
lvl.2

United Kingdom

birdingbilly Posted at 2017-1-14 14:50

A property owner in the UK certainly does own the airspace above their land (up to and above the legal maximum for a drone) and is well within their right to ban drones from it.  It used to be that UK common law gave a property owner the rights all of the airspace above and all of the ground below to the centre of the earth but this is unworkable now with overflying aircraft and mining. "Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos" or "whoever's is the soil, it is theirs all the way to Heaven and all the way to hell".

"S. 76 Civil Aviation Act 1982  states that ‘the lower stratum is unlikely to extend beyond an altitude of much more than 500 or 1,000 feet above roof level, this being roughly the minimum permissible distance for normal overflying by any aircraft’ (Rules of the Air Regulations 2007, Sch 1, s. 3(5)). "
2017-1-29
Use props
Ramblingsheep
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Have you seen the Beaulieu Model Flying Committee web site?  This explains their policy regarding the flying of drones in the one area of the New Forest where flying model aircraft is permitted.  You MUST get the appropriate insurances and permits but it does not seem too onerous and provides sensible safety guards for other forest users.  http://beaulieumodelflying.org.uk/dronepolicy.html
2017-2-1
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ramblingsheep Posted at 2017-2-1 09:32
Have you seen the Beaulieu Model Flying Committee web site?  This explains their policy regarding the flying of drones in the one area of the New Forest where flying model aircraft is permitted.  You MUST get the appropriate insurances and permits but it does not seem too onerous and provides sensible safety guards for other forest users.  http://beaulieumodelflying.org.uk/dronepolicy.html

What a fantastic find! Thank you..

£10 for the year for a permit.. utterly fantastic value for money. I'm a BMFA member so I'm good to go..

Will post back when I've done a trip. Web page describing location is here and the Google Maps reference is this
2017-2-1
Use props
Jcostello
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861490 ft

United Kingdom

Dave just use some common sense were to fly it then get out and do I................... B@l1cks........... to local councils etc just get out fly safe but FLY IT enjoy it mate {:4_142:}
2017-2-2
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-2-1 11:35
What a fantastic find! Thank you..

£10 for the year for a permit.. utterly fantastic value for money. I'm a BMFA member so I'm good to go..

I have a permit to fly at RAF Beaulieu! Will report back when I get an opportunity to visit, and, weather eases up.
2017-2-3
Use props
MichaelM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3720 ft
United Kingdom

I was at one of our coastal dog walking areas at the weekend. There were a lot of people about, including kids, and quite a few dogs as well. A fella comes along with his wife and son, they sit down on a bench at the side of the path and he takes out his Mavic Pro and starts flying it up and down the beach at high speed, stopping every now and again to do a few circles, before taking off again. This went on for about 15 minutes before we left. I just thought, what a berk. Its irresponsible boy-toy owners like this who get the rest of us a bad name, and ultimately banned from suitable areas to fly.
2017-2-3
Use props
Polyman
New

United Kingdom

Geo66 Posted at 2017-1-23 05:19
Derby Telegraph Story

Have you found any good places in Derby? I'm just down the road in Burton on Trent
2017-3-1
Use props
Mrhiteshpatel
New

United Kingdom

I am looking to purchase but it seems like it is going to be difficult to fly anywhere near me - does anyone have experience flying near Harrow?
2017-4-15
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RobJ Posted at 2017-1-15 13:10

Always use UAV Forcast as it gives full weather specs for any given day and also no fly zones so you know where to go.
2017-6-28
Use props
aladdincruz
New

Philippines

Ask BMFA for more info about the areas that are no flying zone.
And always get the weather forecast so you can adjust to the wind.
Have you tried flying in beaches? There are many people but you can practice on how to take good videos.
And get a GPS tracker one thing a drone pilot needs.
2017-9-14
Use props
feethea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 387940 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm completely with BirdingBilly with this when he stated - "As long as you don't take off or land on their land I don't think they can stop you flying over it so long as you comply with the CAA rules.  If this were not the case even commercial airlines couldn't fly over the New Forest based on their published rules which would clearly be nonsense." Having looked at the link provided by DaveDotNet the Forestry Commission wording is very close to that produced by The National Trust and their rubbish re drone flying - this was highlighted by 'Ikopta' on YouTube as being totally inaccurate if not intentionally misleading.
As regards suitable apps I use "Kittyhawk", "NATS", "UAV Forecast", and of course the good ol' DJI Go app.
2017-10-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules