Indoor Flights Now Possible!
12205 25 2017-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

Now I must chime in on this again, most people think it can be flown indoors.
I will look at this again because there are misconceptions and information helps everyone.
I will also back this information up.

DJI - "Mavic is the most intelligent drone ever"

QUESTION -
Well if thatis so, it should be smart enough to fly indoors right?

ANSWER -
Maybe

DATA -
DJI - claims it can be safely flown indoors.
USERS - claim they try and some fail, and some don't.

SUMMARY
Everyone needs to get along, DJI said there is a feature made "FOR INDOOR USE".
Its a slowing and fine-tuning the position based on controller movement inputs to allowing for precision framing and safe indoor flight.

REALITY
They say its made for indoor use, just to sell more.... It will take off if you start a flight indoors, after that.... you can hover a bit, or almost hit the ceiling, kiss a wall, slam into furniture or fly up and over a table then land perfectly.. Who knows, the only thing that I DO NOT LIKE is that they make it seem like EVERYONE should have NO problems with indoor flight.. But that's not the case. Hopefully DJI backs its claims up with having free repairs caused by indoor crashes(that happen a lot if you try).{:4_157:}
And yes if you fly in a tiny little room and expect to have a flight with no issues, then you are on the path to failure.
BUT Just because people post indoor flight, trat an issue brought up in the forum as any other flight, help them out.. Don't be so negative!

PROOF - (Don't take this out on me, I told you I would back this information up){:4_173:}

Most Intelligent Drone Ever

The powerful systems inside Mavic Pro are easy to use, even for beginners. Using just your phone’s touchscreen, you can use TapFly to direct Mavic Pro to go wherever you want, avoiding obstacles along the way. When you want to take a hands-free selfie, FlightAutonomy makes it possible to control the drone completely with just your gestures.

In Gesture mode, you can use gestures to have Mavic Pro locate you, center you in the frame and take the perfect shot as Mavic Pro’s flashing lights count down to the photo. Sharing your best aerial moments has never been easier with live streaming to Facebook Live, Periscope and YouTube through the DJI GO app.

An updated version of DJI’s ActiveTrack recognizes common subjects such as people, bicyclists, cars, boats and animals, which then sends Mavic Pro to follow behind, lead in front, circle above or track alongside the subject, keeping the camera focused on the subject while you concentrate on flight maneuvers. The new Terrain Follow mode means that you can race up a slope behind a subject while remaining at a constant height between 1 ft (0.3 m) and 33 ft (10 m).

At the other extreme, the new Tripod Mode is designed for indoor use, slowing and fine-tuning Mavic Pro’s position and angle based on controller movement inputs to allowing for precision framing and safe indoor flight.

CORRESPONDING LINK
DJI Revolutionizes Personal Flight With New Mavic Pro Drone

2017-1-12
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Is the issue that it can't fly safely indoors or is the issue that inexperienced pilots don't have the ability to control the Mavic in confined spaces? Not sure what this post is trying to say. Having read the manual and other information on line, it seems to me it is perfectly reasonable to fly the drone inside given sufficient space and ability. With adequate light, the drone will assist in this process, but even without enough light for the sensors to offer some assistance of autonomy, anyone that knows how to manually control a drone can do so. The risk is lessened by the ability of the pilot.
2017-1-12
Use props
TommyJeep
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50423 ft
  • >>>
United States

Skill does factor into flying in tight spaces.  However, until DJI updates the GO app with the ability to force ATTI mode, I think it's not safe.  When my Mavic switches between GPS and ATTI because GPS is weak indoors, the aircraft lunges FEET to the left, right, forward or back.  If you're too close to a lamp (or a person), there's going to be a crash.
2017-1-12
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Ok, take your point, but shouldn't you be flying indoors using wifi?
2017-1-12
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-1-12 09:56
Ok, take your point, but shouldn't you be flying indoors using wifi?

IMHO, absolutely not!

The RC provides much better (and faster) control of the Mavic and I would only do it as a last resort.  I have done it once, but it was more of a personal dare to see if I could.  I didn't fly around, I only took off and landed.

Use the RC indoors for sure and use the WiFi option (if you must) as a quick "selfie" situation in an area void of other WiFi interference and lots of space.  Remember, WiFi is short range and if you lose signal, the Mavic will attempt a RTH.  So, your RTH altitude and homeport come into play and BETTER be correct.

Again, that's JMHO.
2017-1-12
Use props
Mayoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

I had no issues with indoor. mavic is solid

2017-1-12
Use props
Riotcontrol
lvl.3
United States

When I first received my mavic in December I was able to safely fly it indoors in tripod mode but after the most recent firmware it would only stay in atti mode and could no longer switch it to tripod so it was extremely twitchy indoors.
2017-1-12
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

It's solid indoors, but of course there is risk and it requires focus and attention.  You need to be able to expect - and catch - drifts.  Being able to lock out GPS would make it more predictable, especially if you want to use Tripod mode, where you have to be able to expect and accommodate possible speed changes.

From the manual:
'Only use Tripod Mode where the GPS signal is strong or light conditions are ideal for the vision system.  If GPS signal is lost and the vision system cannot function, it will automatically switch to ATTI mode.  In this case, flight speed will increase and the aircraft cannot hover in place.  Use Tripod Mode carefully.'

2017-1-12
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

I don't get this indoor issue. Technically you can fly an 800 size flybarless heli indoor. Just depends on the pilot skill.
Is it wise: no. If 1 servo goes bye then it could split your skull.
Same thing except the skull goes for mavic. If you're able to CONTROL a quadcopter inside with the sensors off and rth set to hover it should be no problem.
2017-1-12
Use props
Brutus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 124304 ft
Netherlands

I flew mine several times in a very small living room, with absolutely no problem, it's rock solid. Before take off, I always lift up the AC by hand to check if there's enough light available. Think I've done around 30 short indoor flights, without any problem.
2017-1-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can tell you that the Mavic flies just fine indoors.
2017-1-12
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

MacIak Posted at 2017-1-12 13:32
I don't get this indoor issue. Technically you can fly an 800 size flybarless heli indoor. Just depends on the pilot skill.
Same thing except the skull goes for mavic. If you're able to CONTROL a quadcopter inside with the sensors off and rth set to hover it should be no problem.

I in general don't get the indoor issue either.  In general, that is.  Convinced most problems are down to an expectation that the intelligent systems remove the need for attention and skill.

However...

There is one difference here vs. your heli analogy.  If the craft switches in and out of GPS (and potentially in an out of VPS) automatically its behavior can change.  I think it would be optimal if you could select/force ATTI mode.  That way you could have consistency of behavior, even though it would be more difficult for some to fly.
2017-1-12
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

hi there. I would not say that DJI pushes anyone to think that flying indoor is easy. There are tons of instructions, always starting with pre-cautions and beginners warning, recommendation for the first outdoor trials in an open (obstacles-free and no other people) area... I guess after reading the instructions nobody could think of starting Mavic indoors right from the box. Cheers! ;-)
2017-1-12
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

I am hobbyist. I have my Mavic for not so a long time. For 2 years I was flying a Parrot 2.0. The very first test I did with my Mavic was INDOORS in beginner mode with no GPS-fix and bright light conditions on thin and well textured carpet-floor: T/O, hovering, yawing, up-down, side-way-flying etc. .................  NO ISSUES. Then tried tripod-mode: no issues. Obstacle avoidance works perfectly (almost too perfect, prohibiting sometimes to fly through doorways if not exactly centered). When entering darker rooms with pitch-black granite-floor Mavic starts to drift slowly which can easily be corrected with minimal stick inputs. Passing the dark room into another well-lit room Mavic gets rock-steady again.

SUMMARY:

1.) Mavic is 1.000 % more reliable for indoor flying than my olf Parrot 2.0

2.) ADVICE TO NEWBIES:

a) take HOURS to READ and UNDERSTAND (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)  the advices in the manual !!!!!!!!!!  The advices are ON THE SAFE SIDE ! More is possible without hazzle.

b) for first indoor flight set up perfect conditions (as adviced in the manual and use tripod-mode)

c) start to hover and learn the reactions to only SLIGHT stick-inputs SEPERATELY (up-down, yaw, roll etc.), NEVER COMBINE THEM !

d) stand BEHIND the drone in FLIGHT-direction: in case it starts to drift towards walls give slight corrective stick-inputs ! DON`T let the camera face YOU ! The stick input WILL go to the wrong direction and Mavic will crash faster against the walls .................

e) get prop-protectors for indoors ..................    e.g. prop-protectors

2017-1-12
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-12 14:43
I in general don't get the indoor issue either.  In general, that is.  Convinced most problems are down to an expectation that the intelligent systems remove the need for attention and skill.

However...

Totally! We still need atti, different thread. Will increase fun factor surely.
2017-1-13
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

MacIak Posted at 2017-1-13 02:58
Totally! We still need atti, different thread. Will increase fun factor surely.

Fun and maybe safety too.

Here's the best analogy I can think of regarding control consistency:

I have a fun weekend car.  It has very good traction and stability control and thankfully it's user-selectable.  Sometimes I want those features on, and sometimes I don't.  However if I approached a corner and I thought it was on and realized mid-corner that it was off I can tell you right now I'd have significantly higher dry cleaning bills.

Now, I should still be able to handle the situation but it certainly makes things a little more tricky.  Ever approached an escalator or travelator where you knew it was turned off and you're continually telling yourself that it's not moving as you approach it, yet you still do this mini-stumble thing when you first step on it, because your brain's expecting something a little different to happen?  It's the same concept to me.

Now, GPS and VPS cannot work in all situations.  Cannot.  Not DJI's fault.  User-selectable ATTI would be good for some (not all).  And, yeah, it would also be more fun!
2017-1-13
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-12 14:07
I can tell you that the Mavic flies just fine indoors.

NO way I will fly my Mavic indoors or in any tight space with no gps signals. Mine  swings a lot in ATTI mode.
2017-1-13
Use props
Mikonou
lvl.1

Philippines

Mine stays perfectly steady indoors. I flew it in a gymnasium and my own room without a problem. Most important thing is to have adequate lighting and to be very careful with the controller. I wouldnt recommend it for beginners, but those who have finer controls on RCs can totally do it easily.
2017-1-13
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

Mayoo Posted at 2017-1-12 11:49
I had no issues with indoor. mavic is solid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuIyQTkaK_g

Thanks Mayoo for this video
2017-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2017-1-13 05:23
NO way I will fly my Mavic indoors or in any tight space with no gps signals. Mine  swings a lot in ATTI mode.

If you are in VPS range and are within the limitations then it should stay put and not swing if you have a good compass calibration.
Capture.JPG
2017-1-13
Use props
DaveyG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298094 ft
United States

OK - Let's agree, technically you can fly indoors. Even an experienced pilot has issues if the GPS signal is lost or keeps going in an out during flight. The ability to go into ATTI mode only would be a great feature.
2017-1-13
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-12 23:50
I am hobbyist. I have my Mavic for not so a long time. For 2 years I was flying a Parrot 2.0. The very first test I did with my Mavic was INDOORS in beginner mode with no GPS-fix and bright light conditions on thin and well textured carpet-floor: T/O, hovering, yawing, up-down, side-way-flying etc. .................  NO ISSUES. Then tried tripod-mode: no issues. Obstacle avoidance works perfectly (almost too perfect, prohibiting sometimes to fly through doorways if not exactly centered). When entering darker rooms with pitch-black granite-floor Mavic starts to drift slowly which can easily be corrected with minimal stick inputs. Passing the dark room into another well-lit room Mavic gets rock-steady again.

SUMMARY:

THX, just a small correction in my case the "beginner mode" didn't let me to take off at all.
Or your house might be a bit bigger and lighter then mine...
2017-1-13
Use props
MarcusPolus
lvl.2
United States

lol split your skull... yep sounds about right, some blades on these are crazy sharp
2017-1-16
Use props
sludge
lvl.2
Flight distance : 831322 ft

Dude you are so far off the mark. DJI can only do so much but as a pilot, if you have poor piloting skills you will crash inside or out. Sorry I can't support anything you say in this post.
2019-9-2
Use props
sludge
lvl.2

I don't get this indoor issue. Technically you can fly an 800 size flybarless heli indoor. Just depends on the pilot skill.

Spot on dude. Just to much BS being spun about flying in doors. People need to read the manual and understand there Mavic intermatly. Then practice outside to improve skill.
2019-9-3
Use props
sludge
lvl.2

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-12 23:50
I am hobbyist. I have my Mavic for not so a long time. For 2 years I was flying a Parrot 2.0. The very first test I did with my Mavic was INDOORS in beginner mode with no GPS-fix and bright light conditions on thin and well textured carpet-floor: T/O, hovering, yawing, up-down, side-way-flying etc. .................  NO ISSUES. Then tried tripod-mode: no issues. Obstacle avoidance works perfectly (almost too perfect, prohibiting sometimes to fly through doorways if not exactly centered). When entering darker rooms with pitch-black granite-floor Mavic starts to drift slowly which can easily be corrected with minimal stick inputs. Passing the dark room into another well-lit room Mavic gets rock-steady again.

SUMMARY:

The Manual tells you NOT to use Tripod Mode without GPS.
2019-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules