11427 93 2017-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jester
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195016 ft

United States

WildTurkey Posted at 2017-2-23 18:31
Newbie check in from Santa Barbara.  New to RC, new to UAV.  P4P+ arriving in 2 days.  I've done about as much reading as I can handle and am ready to start the slow learning process.

Welcome Wild Turkey, you will enjoy every second of it!
2017-2-24
Use props
zaphforty7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 915928 ft
United States

Corona (Inland Empire) here.
2017-2-24
Use props
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

Hi, pulling the trigger on a Mavic. Carlsbad (San Diego). Looking forward to get some good footage of the ocean. Is anyone aware of any restrictions of taking video along the coastline?
2017-2-25
Use props
DarinFongPhotog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495787 ft
United States

Checking in from San Diego (near Lemon Grove). Borrowing a friend's P4. P4P inbound next week. Studying for 107 test. Hopefully adding aerial photos and video to our current business.

Still pretty unsure about restrictions. I live more than 5 miles away from Lindbergh Field (KSAN), but FAA app still says I am in a no fly zone.
Then there's that list of top 10 places to fly drones in San Diego and Chollas Lake is listed even though it's in Class B airspace. And across the street from Chollas Lake is where the Chollas Lake RC Flyers have their RC airstrip. It must be OK to fly since I see the RC Flyers flying there all the time.

-Darin

2017-2-26
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

zaphforty7 Posted at 2017-2-24 16:03
Corona (Inland Empire) here.

Welcome zaphforty7!
2017-2-26
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

Sdpaddler50 Posted at 2017-2-25 15:51
Hi, pulling the trigger on a Mavic. Carlsbad (San Diego). Looking forward to get some good footage of the ocean. Is anyone aware of any restrictions of taking video along the coastline?

Welcome SD Paddler50! I live in La Costa and have been flying up and down the coast. I have heard that Torrey Pines my be a no drone beach however, I haven't confirmed that yet
2017-2-26
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

DarinFongPhotog Posted at 2017-2-26 01:29
Checking in from San Diego (near Lemon Grove). Borrowing a friend's P4. P4P inbound next week. Studying for 107 test. Hopefully adding aerial photos and video to our current business.

Still pretty unsure about restrictions. I live more than 5 miles away from Lindbergh Field (KSAN), but FAA app still says I am in a no fly zone.

Welcome Darin! Are you using the Air Map app to check? I am looking at Lemon Grove and it looks like you are surrounded by Miramar, Montgomery and a bunch of hospital heliports . but most of Lemon Grove to La Mesa down to Chula Vista look clear with the exception of numerous schools
2017-2-26
Use props
DarinFongPhotog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495787 ft
United States

Jester Posted at 2017-2-26 20:48
Welcome Darin! Are you using the Air Map app to check? I am looking at Lemon Grove and it looks like you are surrounded by Miramar, Montgomery and a bunch of hospital heliports . but most of Lemon Grove to La Mesa down to Chula Vista look clear with the exception of numerous schools

Hi @Jester,
Thanks for replying.

I am actually pretty close to Chollas Lake:
https://goo.gl/maps/b97F5aW6sbq
But yes, there is a lot going on in this location according to Airmaps and B4ufly.

That's why it seems strange to have an RC club air strip right there and Chollals Lake being listed as one of the top 10 places to fly a drone in San Diego.

So, am I OK to fly at/near Chollas Lake or not?
2017-2-26
Use props
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

Jester Posted at 2017-2-26 20:41
Welcome SD Paddler50! I live in La Costa and have been flying up and down the coast. I have heard that Torrey Pines my be a no drone beach however, I haven't confirmed that yet

Thanks Jester. I also live in La Costa. Will order the drone this week. Looking forward to getting out there.
2017-2-27
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

Sdpaddler50 Posted at 2017-2-27 10:48
Thanks Jester. I also live in La Costa. Will order the drone this week. Looking forward to getting out there.

Good news neighbor, shoot me a message when you receive it! Make sure that you get Palomar Airport tower's phone number to inform them when you are flying, they are very cool about taking my calls.
2017-3-1
Use props
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

Jester Posted at 2017-3-1 15:20
Good news neighbor, shoot me a message when you receive it! Make sure that you get Palomar Airport tower's phone number to inform them when you are flying, they are very cool about taking my calls.

Will do. I should have it next week.

If you are more than 5 miles away from Palomar airport, do you still need to call them?

How about 5 miles, and less than 400 ft?  

2017-3-1
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

If you are outside the 5 mile radius and under 400 ft. you won't have to contact them. I fly around Ponto Beach often and it is inside the class airspace
2017-3-1
Use props
keithanim8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20591 ft
United States

Ei, Jim. Fellow Burbank resident here. Any idea if we're still supposed to contact Bob Hop Airport's tower even if we're only gonna fly below 400ft(/120m)?
2017-3-5
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

keithanim8 Posted at 2017-3-5 17:19
Ei, Jim. Fellow Burbank resident here. Any idea if we're still supposed to contact Bob Hop Airport's tower even if we're only gonna fly below 400ft(/120m)?

I have never contacted them or any other tower.  I mostly fly in the south eastern part of Burbank near the Glendale border and stay below 400'.  I personally think I get the best video around 200' or lower.  I am also a licensed Private Pilot with about 300 hours.  My advice is to simply stay outside their airspace.

--Jim
2017-3-6
Use props
aerophoto
New
Flight distance : 5164 ft
United States

Hello SoCal !
2017-3-12
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

Welcome aerophoto!
2017-3-13
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Mavic Pro - Anaheim Hills.
2017-3-21
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

Welcome FrequentFlyer!
2017-3-22
Use props
JonCahillPhoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15256 ft
United States

You Cali guys get loads of nice scenery to use. I was born in southern and used to live outside of San Luis Obispo. Enjoy the views, guys!
2017-3-23
Use props
Aussie4220
Second Officer
Flight distance : 311732 ft
United States

San Clemente,  (from Australia)
2017-3-31
Use props
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

Aussie4220 Posted at 2017-3-31 13:54
San Clemente,  (from Australia)

I grew up in SC. You picked a nice place to relocate to.

Have you taken any footage of the pier?
2017-3-31
Use props
Aussie4220
Second Officer
Flight distance : 311732 ft
United States

SC Pier #5.jpg SC Pier #8.jpg SC Pier #7.jpg

some pics of the pier from my first few days with the Drone.  I have a p4p+

2017-3-31
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

Welcome Aussie and great pics!
2017-4-2
Use props
Socalrob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

I got tired with my android devices crashing and picked up an iPad mini 4, finally confident to fly distances. I've gone through about 6 batteries and not one disconnect with the mini 4. Finally looking forward to exploring southern Cali with this thing. I feel like I just got my mavic all over again.
2017-4-2
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

Socalrob Posted at 2017-4-2 20:22
I got tired with my android devices crashing and picked up an iPad mini 4, finally confident to fly distances. I've gone through about 6 batteries and not one disconnect with the mini 4. Finally looking forward to exploring southern Cali with this thing. I feel like I just got my mavic all over again.

That's good to hear! I had issues with android as well and made the change to the ipad mini, with no problems at all.
2017-4-3
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8327 ft
United States

Guys, being under 400 feet has nothing to do with having to contact a control tower. The 400-foot rule applies EVERYWHERE.  You can't fly higher than 400 feet AGL. If you are in an airports airspace so 5 miles or closer you need to call them. How high you are flying has nothing to do with whether you call them or not. NOW you will want to tell them how high you'll be and where you'll be, but just because you are below 400 feet means nothing really. One exception. Say a tower is 200 feet high, then you could fly 400 feet above the top of the tower, but still has nothing to do with airspace.
2017-4-4
Use props
fans9ae96220
New
United States

FNG - How do I go about getting more points and can anyone recommend a good editing app?
2017-4-17
Use props
keithanim8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20591 ft
United States

I read that the grand opening of the Los Angeles State Historic Park was happening this Saturday and thought that I might -- or rather 'could' -- fly my P4 there to get a good aerial view of it now that it has been completely renovated. Now I said "could" 'coz when I checked the area using AirMap, it wasn't highlighted as a restricted fly zone.

Long story short, I got to fly for a few minutes before the park ranger, I believe, told me that I can't fly there and that only UAVs for commercial purposes are allowed (provided with a permit). Anyway, just wanted to give everybody a heads up in case anyone also starts thinking about flying there because AirMap says it's okay. ;)  I guess AirMap ought to update their database.

Oh, well. it's back to Elysian Park for me.
2017-4-22
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

Thanks for the report keithanim8, glad that you were able to get a few minutes of footage
2017-4-24
Use props
buttfish
lvl.1
Flight distance : 725518 ft
United States

Cajon Junction is my locale; flying DJI P3P4K w/Fat Shark Dominator V3 goggles;  Fun chasing trains and checking out the San Andreas Fault rock formations.  Usually fly, Sat at or near Sullivan's Curve/FS Road 3N47.
2017-4-26
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

buttfish Posted at 2017-4-26 13:46
Cajon Junction is my locale; flying DJI P3P4K w/Fat Shark Dominator V3 goggles;  Fun chasing trains and checking out the San Andreas Fault rock formations.  Usually fly, Sat at or near Sullivan's Curve/FS Road 3N47.

Welcome, how is it flying with the goggles?
2017-4-28
Use props
JYD
lvl.1
United States

San Clemente in the house!
2017-5-19
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

Welcome JYD!
2017-5-20
Use props
JYD
lvl.1
United States

Thanks, has everyone seen this yet?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology ... ation-rule-47514096

"An appeals court on Friday struck down a Federal Aviation Administration rule that required owners of drones used for recreation to register their craft."

"The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit agreed with Taylor, saying that a law passed by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama in 2012 barred the FAA from imposing new regulations on model aircraft."

So with exception to any "local" or state law, does that mean ANY new regulation on hobbyists after 2012 by the FAA is now void?  Hmm
And should I get my $5 back??  lmao

2017-5-21
Use props
BeefStew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79875 ft
United States

New mavic owner in San Gabriel valley ( burbs of LA) here. Interested in hearing any tips for good/safe open and interesting places for a newbie to fly

Anthony
2017-7-1
Use props
djiuser_D1A3PnN
New
United States

Checking in from Tarzana! I'm looking for some good LEGAL spots to fly in the area. I'm a private pilot so I'm aware of FAA regulations. A lot of the places I'd hoped to fly like parks seem to be off limits. I'm using the UAV app and have consulted the Hivemapper map as well but would love recommendations on good picturesque spots that won't get me arrested. Thank you all!
2017-8-23
Use props
De Anda
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1499 ft
United States

Socalrob Posted at 2017-4-2 20:22

on what drone is this
2017-9-10
Use props
jjgmygy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21716 ft
United States

Hello,
Red Spark newbie pilot from Glendale
2017-12-13
Use props
buttfish
lvl.1
United States

Old "new" guy here.  Flights in Cajon Junction (Mormon Rocks & BNSF Trains).  Usually fly on Fridays and Saturdays, early AM.  Wind is the only ENEMY, and there is wind in the pass.  "DRONE BRO" with my brother, and "DON'T DRONE ALONE".
2018-1-3
Use props
buttfish
lvl.1
United States

Inland Empire DRONE BRO; fly mostly on weekends in Cajon Pass/Devore area, when there is light winds.  Enjoy flying with others, mostly my DRONE BRO.

Started with DJI Phantom FC-40 (sold to new flyer); Currently fly DJI Phantom 3 Professional 4K.

2018-1-3
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules