Why is gimbal initialization so violent?
1337 13 2017-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PAYBACK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683885 ft
South Africa

Like heading says. The gimbal intialization is very violent consirering how delacate the unit is. Is there a reason for this?
2017-1-12
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

I also had the same question. I 'd love to hear experts response.
2017-1-12
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

I think it looks 'violent' to us. The gimbal just look for and find it's borders.
2017-1-12
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
South Africa

NavigatorNL Posted at 2017-1-12 23:38
I think it looks 'violent' to us. The gimbal just look for and find it's borders.

Well sometimes I can hear what sounds like the gimbal hitting something as it goes through its paces. Quite worrying actually.
2017-1-13
Use props
Jimney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103268 ft
United Kingdom

I'd like to comment on this as a comparison with 2 different Drones. I had one that had the focus issue and my dealer exchanged it without quibble for another one a few days ago.

The first unit was very smooth and quiet on boot up with no metalic knocking of it hitting anything during its start up sequence. The replacement (now with good focus) does knock when the camera swings up top left (as you are looking at it from the front) during its boot up, but not as violently as I have seen on some YouTube videos.
2017-1-13
Use props
Josh-130
lvl.1

United States

For what its worth; For the first couple of days after mine came in it was silent while going through its initial checks. After maybe 10 flights it began to make the hitting noise on initialization and I started getting the "gimble obstructed" message. I saw somewhere, someone said if they power their drone on upside down it would initialize fine (worked for me for a few days but now it wont). Through experimenting I found if I power it on with the gimble arm towards the ground it will initialize fine.
Hopefully this situation is not where yours is heading... like many others
2017-1-13
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
South Africa

Josh-130 Posted at 2017-1-13 05:59
For what its worth; For the first couple of days after mine came in it was silent while going through its initial checks. After maybe 10 flights it began to make the hitting noise on initialization and I started getting the "gimble obstructed" message. I saw somewhere, someone said if they power their drone on upside down it would initialize fine (worked for me for a few days but now it wont). Through experimenting I found if I power it on with the gimble arm towards the ground it will initialize fine.
Hopefully this situation is not where yours is heading... like many others

Hope not. Never liked the way the gimbal hangs off those rubber tabs. Just a theroy but I suspect these rubber tabs are the first weak link in the system. Given time and the frequency at which they vibrate under craft I see the gimbal moving past pre-programmed norms as tabs loose elasticity which would set off "gimbal max limit reached" warning. Would love to know how many hours before they need replacing.
2017-1-13
Use props
Josh-130
lvl.1

United States

PAYBACK Posted at 2017-1-13 06:53
Hope not. Never liked the way the gimbal hangs off those rubber tabs. Just a theroy but I suspect these rubber tabs are the first weak link in the system. Given time and the frequency at which they vibrate under craft I see the gimbal moving past pre-programmed norms as tabs loose elasticity which would set off "gimbal max limit reached" warning. Would love to know how many hours before they need replacing.

Its interesting you say that because thats exactly what I thought the issue was. I don't like it either, I think it is a step backwards. If DJI were to use something similar to the almost flawless platform on the Phantoms I wouldn't foresee an issue.
I've been in contact with someone with the same issue I have and he said his was a 'gimble control board issue'... i still don't see the rubber tabs holding up as well as the Phantom isolators.
2017-1-13
Use props
icerecou
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1530732 ft
Canada

DJI, advise? Comment on this topic?
Recommandation to preserve/protect .

Do you know the hour life time ?
2017-1-13
Use props
PAYBACK
lvl.4
South Africa

Hello DJI?
2017-1-16
Use props
fans113d523d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 156115 ft
United States

Hi guys. I just received my Mavic back from DJI after another repair. I've noticed the same issue being described here where the gimbal is hitting the housing during a violent initialization.

Interestingly, if the camera is facing the ground before being powered on, it's much less violent and doesn't hit.

Has anyone found a solution?

Video of the problem: https://youtu.be/BeXhHkxiQTE
2017-3-11
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

And also, why is it needed everytime you turn it on ... It might as well go straight to the position it needs.
2017-3-11
Use props
Thudd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1624787 ft
United States

fans113d523d Posted at 2017-3-11 12:09
Hi guys. I just received my Mavic back from DJI after another repair. I've noticed the same issue being described here where the gimbal is hitting the housing during a violent initialization.

Interestingly, if the camera is facing the ground before being powered on, it's much less violent and doesn't hit.

Is that a crack I see on the gimbal?
2017-3-11
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

Thudd Posted at 2017-3-11 12:48
Is that a crack I see on the gimbal?

Definitely  looks like it
2017-3-11
Use props
Advanced