Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
South African members Roll Call
12Next >
9924 70 2017-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M Cubed Media
lvl.3
Flight distance : 166476 ft
South Africa

Any Mavic Drone uses in South Africa?

2017-1-13
Use props
Stu-pak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144570 ft
United Kingdom

I'm a Mavic user, based in Sandton, JHB.  Been using it for about a 1.5 months now, absolutely awesome machine
Made a little video while down in Plett this December.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SSezOKFCgw

Edit: Ignore my "United Kingdom" location on the left. Its due to my work VPN
2017-1-13
Use props
Tim42
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
South Africa

Zambia also on line, look forward to seeing who else finds this.

Need some thoughts, drones get taken out by eagles here and my Mavic is just the right size so i have bought some 'scary eyes' online to stick on its back, anybody else got any ideas?

BTW maybe keep it Africa not just you dutchmen? :-)
2017-1-13
Use props
M Cubed Media
lvl.3
South Africa

Tim42 Posted at 2017-1-13 03:45
Zambia also on line, look forward to seeing who else finds this.

Need some thoughts, drones get taken out by eagles here and my Mavic is just the right size so i have bought some 'scary eyes' online to stick on its back, anybody else got any ideas?

Geeerings from SA!

Wow! That is very interesting indeed.  I thought that the noise of the motors might have kept them away!

For the record, not a Dutchman !

I work for World Airnews magazine and will be featuring drones every month, would love to write about your story if you ok with that?
2017-1-13
Use props
M Cubed Media
lvl.3
South Africa

Stu-pak Posted at 2017-1-13 02:54
I'm a Mavic user, based in Sandton, JHB.  Been using it for about a 1.5 months now, absolutely awesome machine
Made a little video while down in Plett this December.

Love the video!

Got mine just before Christmas, still getting used to all the features !
2017-1-13
Use props
Tim42
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
South Africa

M Cubed Media Posted at 2017-1-13 03:50
Geeerings from SA!

Wow! That is very interesting indeed.  I thought that the noise of the motors might have kept them away!

That would be great but give it a few weeks, I'm still very new at this.
2017-1-13
Use props
M Cubed Media
lvl.3
South Africa

Tim42 Posted at 2017-1-13 03:54
That would be great but give it a few weeks, I'm still very new at this.

makes two of us! Sure, let me know when you are ready.

2017-1-13
Use props
fans1c917e2a
lvl.1
South Africa

Yep! Live in the eastern cape. Ordered mine through Amazon but cancelled order after nothing for 5 weeks. Now keen to know shipping time to SA if order via DJi.com??
2017-1-13
Use props
fans06b6fb4b
lvl.1

South Africa

Yip also a New Mavic User Im based in Cape Town
2017-1-14
Use props
JLP
lvl.1

South Africa

Hi guys, I'm Joburg based, but travel around quite a bit, so I'm often in different places. Have had my drone now for just over a week.

@Tim42, I had a Kite checking out the drone while I was flying the other day. It even circled back to see what was going on. Wasn't sure it was going to try attack it or not....
2017-1-15
Use props
M Cubed Media
lvl.3
South Africa

fans1c917e2a Posted at 2017-1-13 21:54
Yep! Live in the eastern cape. Ordered mine through Amazon but cancelled order after nothing for 5 weeks. Now keen to know shipping time to SA if order via DJi.com??

Have you contacted DJI for a delivery time as yet?

Have you tried ORMS down in the cape?
2017-1-15
Use props
M Cubed Media
lvl.3
South Africa

fans06b6fb4b Posted at 2017-1-14 13:00
Yip also a New Mavic User Im based in Cape Town

Beautiful part of the country to fly in!
2017-1-15
Use props
M Cubed Media
lvl.3
South Africa

JLP Posted at 2017-1-15 16:59
Hi guys, I'm Joburg based, but travel around quite a bit, so I'm often in different places. Have had my drone now for just over a week.

@Tim42, I had a Kite checking out the drone while I was flying the other day. It even circled back to see what was going on. Wasn't sure it was going to try attack it or not....

Where did this happen?

I would not like a bird strike at all.
2017-1-15
Use props
JLP
lvl.1

South Africa

M Cubed Media Posted at 2017-1-15 23:25
Where did this happen?

I would not like a bird strike at all.

Around Klipriver, in the south
2017-1-16
Use props
Brutus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124304 ft
Netherlands

Sorry for breaking in, I'm Dutch I'm planning to travel from Capetown to Johannesburg in October this year. Can someone explain the rules in SA to me? I'm confused.
Can I get my Mavic through customs?
Can I fly without a permission/registration?
All feedback is highly appreciated!
2017-1-16
Use props
Beemerstyle
lvl.1

South Africa

Brutus Posted at 2017-1-16 11:59
Sorry for breaking in, I'm Dutch  I'm planning to travel from Capetown to Johannesburg in October this year. Can someone explain the rules in SA to me? I'm confused.

Hi Brutus
The Drone rules are very stringent in South Africa. Not sure of the scope you will be using the drone for but Here is a link to the regulations governing Drones in SA: http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/ ... raft%20Systems.aspx
Hope This Helps
Warren
P.S one good thing is that you have the Mavic Pro which is small.
I don't think you will have issues with customs provided its not for commercial gain.
2017-1-16
Use props
Brutus
lvl.3
Netherlands

Beemerstyle Posted at 2017-1-16 12:13
Hi Brutus
The Drone rules are very stringent in South Africa. Not sure of the scope you will be using the drone for but Here is a link to the regulations governing Drones in SA: http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/RPAS/Remotely%20Piloted%20Aircraft%20Systems.aspx
Hope This Helps

Thanks Beemerstyle (does your name refer to your car/bike brand?)! I'm confused by the next phrase:
The remote pilot must observe all statutory requirements relating to liability, privacy and any other laws enforceable by any other authorities
Where do I find those "other authorities"?
The flying is only for personal use. As far as I understood it's not allowed to fly in any National Park?
I'm not afraid to "smuggle" the Mavic into SA, checking in for the flight back is what scares me a bit
2017-1-16
Use props
Beemerstyle
lvl.1

South Africa

Brutus Posted at 2017-1-16 12:48
Thanks Beemerstyle (does your name refer to your car/bike brand?)! I'm confused by the next phrase:
The remote pilot must observe all statutory requirements relating to liability, privacy and any other laws enforceable by any other authorities
Where do I find those "other authorities"?

Hi Brutus
The name was when I purchased my GS1200 (Bike) many years ago.....Now we ride Harleys.....Send me your email address and ill send you some more recent info. Yes you right National Parks are a NO NO.
you won't have a problem bringing the drone in or out of the country provided its used for personal use.
2017-1-16
Use props
Beemerstyle
lvl.1

South Africa

M Cubed Media Posted at 2017-1-15 23:24
Beautiful part of the country to fly in!

Yes Thanks. Ive been droning for awhile in the area. This Mavic Pro is awesome This is my 3rd DJI unit and by far the best for my needs. Even pips my Inspire 1
2017-1-16
Use props
Brutus
lvl.3
Netherlands

Beemerstyle Posted at 2017-1-16 13:11
Hi Brutus
The name was when I purchased my GS1200 (Bike) many years ago.....Now we ride Harleys.....Send me your email address and ill send you some more recent info. Yes you right National Parks are a NO NO.
you won't have a problem bringing the drone in or out of the country provided its used for personal use.

Great news, thanks a lot for your info!
2017-1-16
Use props
BravoFox
lvl.1
South Africa

Not a Mavic pilot, but I do have a phantom 4. JLP's post reminded me of the first day that I flew my Phantom on December 11 2016 when I took the attatched pic.
I farm in the Northen Cape near Kimberley.
Lanner.jpg
2017-1-23
Use props
Stephenoraw
lvl.1

South Africa

Hi Everyone. Joburg based Mavic and P3P owner. Had the Mavic since just before Christmas last year.
2017-1-23
Use props
lt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2516778 ft
South Africa

Hi guys,

From the Freestate with M600+RTK+X5. Happy flying
2017-1-24
Use props
JLP
lvl.1

South Africa

BravoFox Posted at 2017-1-23 04:52
Not a Mavic pilot, but I do have a phantom 4. JLP's post reminded me of the first day that I flew my Phantom on December 11 2016 when I took the attatched pic.
I farm in the Northen Cape near Kimberley.

Nice one! Looks like a Perigrine?
2017-1-27
Use props
JLP
lvl.1

South Africa

Is anyone here commercially licensed?
2017-1-27
Use props
JLP
lvl.1

South Africa

Brutus Posted at 2017-1-16 11:59
Sorry for breaking in, I'm Dutch  I'm planning to travel from Capetown to Johannesburg in October this year. Can someone explain the rules in SA to me? I'm confused.

Hi Brutus,

As far as I understand, if you're flying for private use, you do not require a license, As such you:

- may fly your UAV up to 144 feet (120 meters)
- must maintain Visual Line of Sight (VLOS)
- may not fly more than 300m away from you. If there is an object in that 300m that is the tallest object in that range, you may not fly higher than it.
- may not fly within 50m of people or over crowds of people
- must fly during daylight in good weather conditons (no night flights)
- may not fly within 10km of aerodomes
- may not fly within national parks

If anyone I'm wrong about anything or if anyone has anything else to add, please do.

From what I've seen,, these rules seem to be similar for a lot of countries around the world.

2017-1-27
Use props
Russ_Wildlife
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5249157 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

lt Posted at 2017-1-24 09:40
Hi guys,

From the Freestate with M600+RTK+X5. Happy flying

Does your GNSS work properly?
2017-1-29
Use props
Russ_Wildlife
lvl.1
  • >>>
South Africa

Anyone know anything about Public Liability insurance in SA? One of the projects I am working on is asking? Would this be easier to obtain with an RPL?
2017-1-29
Use props
lt
lvl.4
South Africa

Russ_Wildlife Posted at 2017-1-29 06:36
Does your GNSS work properly?

Hi Russ_Wildlife

I know this is quite a hotly debated topic but from personal experience, I can say that the M600 is much more stable with the RTK. You can see the minor adjustments/corrections the M600 is making when hovering and in flight. Position hold is almost like a tripod. Wether it is worth it for normal flying, photos and video I don't know because of the cost but for our application it works perfectly (survey). Also a must if you take off and land in confined areas. I can hover around 3-5cm from the ground without a problem. It also helps when flying in areas with lot of RF interference.

Regards
LT
2017-1-29
Use props
Russ_Wildlife
lvl.1
  • >>>
South Africa

lt Posted at 2017-1-29 10:00
Hi Russ_Wildlife

I know this is quite a hotly debated topic but from personal experience, I can say that the M600 is much more stable with the RTK. You can see the minor adjustments/corrections the M600 is making when hovering and in flight. Position hold is almost like a tripod. Wether it is worth it for normal flying, photos and video I don't know because of the cost but for our application it works perfectly (survey). Also a must if you take off and land in confined areas. I can hover around 3-5cm from the ground without a problem. It also helps when flying in areas with lot of RF interference.

Hey It,

The M600 hands down is the best, I have two setups, i did have a lot of issues flying in the beginning with the Ronin MX and stability of the gimbal but have that all sorted out now. I am flying the RED Dragon's on them and we got the DRTK for certain types of flights/aerial time studies and have just not been able to get it to work but it was early stages so will give it another go this month before completely giving up on it.

Thanks for getting back
2017-1-30
Use props
lt
lvl.4
South Africa

Russ_Wildlife Posted at 2017-1-30 00:54
Hey It,

The M600 hands down is the best, I have two setups, i did have a lot of issues flying in the beginning with the Ronin MX and stability of the gimbal but have that all sorted out now. I am flying the RED Dragon's on them and we got the DRTK for certain types of flights/aerial time studies and have just not been able to get it to work but it was early stages so will give it another go this month before completely giving up on it.

Also had initial problems but that was due to the previous RTK firmware not being compatible with the M600. Had to roll it back but the firmware posted early January works fine.
2017-1-30
Use props
Hawk62_Engineer
New

South Africa

Checking in from Little  Port Elizabeth!
2017-2-2
Use props
Weerwolf
New
Flight distance : 1185735 ft
South Africa

I'm here near Cullinan, East of Pretoria. Received my Mavic 9th November 2016. 247 flights and 398 km to date. So far, thankfully, no bumps or scratches and still original props. Very impressed with the little bird, named Kieviet.
2017-2-2
Use props
JELLYB
New

South Africa

Hi guys anyone lose a Inspire 1 on the 15th of Jan in the Dowerglen area, how can i find its owner using its serial number?
2017-2-6
Use props
M Cubed Media
lvl.3
South Africa

JELLYB Posted at 2017-2-6 10:42
Hi guys anyone lose a Inspire 1 on the 15th of Jan in the Dowerglen area, how can i find its owner using its serial number?

If it was not registered with the SACAA no way in finding the owner!

2017-2-8
Use props
PAYBACK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 683885 ft
South Africa

North of Pretoria here. Loving the Mav!

15936741_10154900051276060_3975491596022410752_o (1).jpg
2017-2-15
Use props
PAYBACK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 683885 ft
South Africa

fans1c917e2a Posted at 2017-1-13 21:54

DJI wont ship to SA address unless you use a forwarder like ARAMEX GLOBAL SHOPPER. Got mine off Aliepxress re-seller. Saved thousands!
2017-2-15
Use props
BravoFox
lvl.1
South Africa

JLP Posted at 2017-1-27 19:17
Nice one! Looks like a Perigrine?

It does look like a Peregrine, but I was informed by some falcon experts that it is a juvenile Lanner falcon.
2017-2-20
Use props
ZS1SSM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 123146 ft
South Africa

Good day everyone.

I am a new drone flyer and understand about the no fly zones .
I live in South Africa and in our town there are sometimes helicopters flying as low as 40meter over my house and around town --Recreational-
There is no airfield or airport near to me and the nearest airfield (abandonded) is about 20km from me-
OR Tambo international airport is about 100km as well.
I do listen on the air frequencies for air traffic but none here were I live
Looks like some rich smallholding owners taking customers for a sight seeing tour.

Everyone these day are up in arms about "invasion of privacy" when using drones, but is this legal ?

Vanderbijlpark
Gauteng
South Africa
2017-2-21
Use props
SkyMemories
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139967 ft

Malaysia

Just fly smart,,, haha.. no control at all..
2017-2-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules