Gee... I don't know whether just throw it in the trash, strip it ...
1234Next >
5174 131 2017-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

I got my second P3S yesterday from the DJI Store and it was too late to try it after charging the batteries. Although once charged up, I turned it on to change the settings and turn off beginners mode, etc. Since it was dark, I put it away until today.

Well today I had taken a 9 minute flight with it. Compass sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Camera is pointed about 20º to the right. The controller senses 25% to the right whenever pushing the stick straight forward. Then the camera started flopping around like a fish out of water at the end of the flight.

So this refurbished was checked out by DJI techs, eh? They didn't even delete the old logs as it has suffered from the compass malfunctioning since November. It is kind of soon to tell, but I believe the compass works fine at room temperature, but quits at colder temperatures. And the gimbal problem looks like a bad ribbon cable right now. Although I moved it over a bit as they had it rubbing against the camera body. And that stopped it for now.

Gee... I don't know whether just throw it in the trash, strip it for parts, or buy a new compass and ribbon cable and hopefully that will fix most of it. Although I don't know why it adds 25% right when pushing straight forward yet. Plus the right rear motor turns harder than the rest and makes a ticking sound when turned. So that probably needs to be replaced too. This might be the very last DJI product I ever buy.
2017-1-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If you just bought it, return and exchange it. ;-)
Get one that works great.  Why settle?

RedHotPoker
2017-1-13
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-13 18:44
If you just bought it, return and exchange it. ;-)
Get one that works great.  Why settle?

Got it from DJI. Checked out by their techs. Can't go anywhere from there.
2017-1-13
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

Agree with RedHot... if you just bought it from DJI direct send it back for another , dont waste your time or money fiddling.

It is a shame to hear this because DJI refurbs usually perform better than new as they have been (supposedly ) vetted a lot more than anything that rolls straight of the production line. Perhaps this one snuck through during the holiday silly season.
2017-1-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-13 18:45
Got it from DJI. Checked out by their techs. Can't go anywhere from there.

Send it back, for replacement if it's defective. What's the problem?

RedHotPoker
2017-1-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-13 18:48
Agree with RedHot... if you just bought it from DJI direct send it back for another , dont waste your time or money fiddling.

It is a shame to hear this because DJI refurbs usually perform better than new as they have been (supposedly ) vetted a lot more than anything that rolls straight of the production line. Perhaps this one snuck through during the holiday silly season.

It's not like buying a used car, Buyer Beware.. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-13
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Phantom-Paul 7 Posted at 2017-1-13 18:48

If you don't want me to waste my time, why bother with DJI in the first place? They ok'd this and this is what they produced.
2017-1-13
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-13 18:48
Send it back, for replacement if it's defective. What's the problem?

Why send it back? What would that do? They won't fix it, charge me money and I'll be back to where I am now. How is that better?
2017-1-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-13 18:56
Why send it back? What would that do? They won't fix it, charge me money and I'll be back to where I am now. How is that better?

Get a new one, replacing that unit, which is obviously defective. Was my thought.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-13
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-13 18:57
Get a new one, replacing that unit, which is obviously defective. Was my thought.

Yeah well, they can't be trusted, can they? Just count your losses and move on.
2017-1-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-13 18:59

I don't understand where you are coming from, it is a defective product, you are entitled to exchange it. Stand up for your rights.
2017-1-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

That's up to you. Hopefully someone will come on and ask you to make arrangements to have it replaced for you. I wouldn't get too excited. Have a little patience. They will help you straighten it out, hang in there. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-13
Use props
Tyrohne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85285 ft
  • >>>
United States

That remains to be seen.  Your story seems incomplete.  

Send it back, see what happens, post your experience.

No company is infallible but I've got four DJI flying contraptions and they've all performed as expected.  
2017-1-13
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-13 19:02
I don't understand where you are coming from, it is a defective product, you are entitled to exchange it. Stand up for your rights.

Why? They will just sell it to somebody else. Why would you want to be part of screwing somebody else? I don't.
2017-1-13
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-13 19:05
That's up to you. Hopefully someone will come on and ask you to make arrangements to have it replaced for you. I wouldn't get too excited. Have a little patience. They will help you straighten it out, hang in there. ;-)

Trust me. The best place for this one is the trash.
2017-1-13
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Tyrohne Posted at 2017-1-13 19:10
That remains to be seen.  Your story seems incomplete.  

Send it back, see what happens, post your experience.

Yes it is incomplete because I will test it further in the next couple of days. Maybe the adding 25% right to forward stick movements could be nothing more but a controller calibration. Something that DJI should have done. And the compass problem sure looks like temperature related, but I'll know more about that later. They probably test them at room temperature anyway.

Send it back? They will just sell it to someone else. And I would feel responsible of that other person having the same problems. No, I won't do that.

You have four DJI crafts and they perform as expected... well I have five Hubsans and they perform as expected. And I have two DJI and one does and the other doesn't. So what does that tell you?
2017-1-13
Use props
Tyrohne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85285 ft
  • >>>
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-13 19:40
Yes it is incomplete because I will test it further in the next couple of days. Maybe the adding 25% right to forward stick movements could be nothing more but a controller calibration. Something that DJI should have done. And the compass problem sure looks like temperature related, but I'll know more about that later. They probably test them at room temperature anyway.

Send it back? They will just sell it to someone else. And I would feel responsible of that other person having the same problems. No, I won't do that.

(quote)You have four DJI crafts and they perform as expected... well I have five Hubsans and they perform as expected. And I have two DJI and one does and the other doesn't. So what does that tell you?( /endquote)

That you need to contact DJI for remedy for your second P3S?  

I really don't get what you're after in terms of outcome, here.  If it's just expressing your spleen then I don't think it's very productive.  

2017-1-13
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Tyrohne Posted at 2017-1-13 19:57
You have four DJI crafts and they perform as expected... well I have five Hubsans and they perform as expected. And I have two DJI and one does and the other doesn't. So what does that tell you? /endquote

That you need to contact DJI for remedy for your second P3S?  

No, this is what DJI puts out. This is what they find as acceptable. I am sorry, but my standards are far higher. I have pride in my workmanship. Too bad so many others don't.
2017-1-13
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

ha.. interesting... complaining, trying to convince people all dji products are trash, and wanting to do nothing to set things right? Weird.. then why exactly did u post here?
I realize things can be frustrating, but if u spent money and got a faulty product, why not get either a refund or replacement.. a new p3S is about $400.. how much did u save by getting a refurb anyhow?

2017-1-13
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-13 20:14
ha.. interesting... complaining, trying to convince people all dji products are trash, and wanting to do nothing to set things right? Weird.. then why exactly did u post here?
I realize things can be frustrating, but if u spent money and got a faulty product, why not get either a refund or replacement.. a new p3S is about $400.. how much did u save by getting a refurb anyhow?

Why is this so hard to understand? You send it back they are just going to sell it to somebody else and screw them! No this has to stop! I suppose you enjoy screwing other people, well I don't.
2017-1-13
Use props
Vikassi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17516 ft
United States

The refurbs have a 1 year warranty, do they not?  Send it back to them, on their dime, have them FIX THIS ONE, and get it back in working order.  That way they can't sell it to someone else.
2017-1-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

If you're throwing it away, please mail it to me, I'll happily send/pay for postage. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-13
Use props
DadDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2907 ft
United States

This is such a long post. He obviously wants someone to tell him to throw it away.
So here it is;   THROW IT AWAY.
Spend your money on the Hubsan X4.  Only $28.94 on amazon.
2017-1-13
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-13 20:25
Why is this so hard to understand? You send it back they are just going to sell it to somebody else and screw them! No this has to stop! I suppose you enjoy screwing other people, well I don't.

A little cynical, aren't we? But at least now I understand where you are going with that.. well..  If that is your assumption, than I agree, throw it away or give to someone for parts....
2017-1-13
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

This thread wins the 'Strangest Thread Ever' award.
2017-1-13
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We're very sorry about it, OP.  What's your order number? We'll look into the production line and see what went wrong.  Also, please find online chat on www.dji.com/support and follow instructions to establish a repair/replacement case and we'll exchange it for you.

DJI tests drones  after drones are repaired or refurbished, so what happens to you might be a mistake in our procedures. Please contact us and we'll take measures to retain you as a satisfied customer.
2017-1-14
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

Please tell me what Bin you throw it in .
I will come collect and put it to good use.

A refurb item from DJI has the same warranty as new so do yourself a favour send it in and get it replaced.  Unless you broke it your self there should be no arguments from DJI .
2017-1-14
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-1-14 00:09
We're very sorry about it, OP.  What's your order number? We'll look into the production line and see what went wrong.  Also, please find online chat on www.dji.com/support and follow instructions to establish a repair/replacement case and we'll exchange it for you.

DJI tests drones  after drones are repaired or refurbished, so what happens to you might be a mistake in our procedures. Please contact us and we'll take measures to retain you as a satisfied customer.

I crashed mine in early December and sent the RC and AC in. Next, they sent me a repair estimate. I paid $121 and a day later they said the repair was complete. In 5 days I received a squeeky clean refurbed RC and AC  that flies much better than my original ever did. Absolutely 0 issues. All I had to do was compass calibration before the maiden flight. I knew it was refurbed since all the serial numbers were different and the original owner's drone name is in the flight records. Full 1 year warranty. It even came with current  firmware and was activated with my account. Believe me, it was well worth  playing along with DJI support. Now, if the DJI Store finally ships the $104 battery I bought on Jan 2 when they were still on sale I'll have absolutely no ill feelings.     
Yep, send it back.
2017-1-14
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

have you calibrated the imu and compass before flying??
2017-1-14
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Rene Jensen Posted at 2017-1-14 01:31
have you calibrated the imu and compass before flying??

Yes. I even calibrated the controller.
2017-1-14
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Betamace Posted at 2017-1-14 01:26
I crashed mine in early December and sent the RC and AC in. Next, they sent me a repair estimate. I paid $121 and a day later they said the repair was complete. In 5 days I received a squeeky clean refurbed RC and AC  that flies much better than my original ever did. Absolutely 0 issues. All I had to do was compass calibration before the maiden flight. I knew it was refurbed since all the serial numbers were different and the original owner's drone name is in the flight records. Full 1 year warranty. It even came with current  firmware and was activated with my account. Believe me, it was well worth  playing along with DJI support. Now, if the DJI Store finally ships the $104 battery I bought on Jan 2 when they were still on sale I'll have absolutely no ill feelings.     
Yep, send it back.

I have four P3 batteries from the DJI Store. Three are fine and one won't balance.
2017-1-14
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-13 21:11
A little cynical, aren't we? But at least now I understand where you are going with that.. well..  If that is your assumption, than I agree, throw it away or give to someone for parts....

DJI doesn't provide answers, we have seen this many times already. I am sure they have seen thousands of ones defective just like this one. They won't learn a thing having this one back. Although having it examined by an independent third party we will have answers and we would all benefit from it.
2017-1-14
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-13 19:16
Trust me. The best place for this one is the trash.

Why are you arguing? You asked for advice (supposedly), you got sound advice (although I would have thought any normal person would already know to do what was suggested), and you act as though it is bad advice. If you really feel that way just throw it away and don't bother everyone with these questions.
smh
2017-1-14
Use props
ems12a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 555863 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're kinda being obtuse here, you bought a "refurbished" unit from DJI that obviously wasn't refurbished. Unless there is a no return policy on refurbished units send the dam thing back to them and give them a piece of your mind in sending you a crap unit.

A lot of us are failing to see the problem here lol
2017-1-14
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

DadDog Posted at 2017-1-13 21:03
This is such a long post. He obviously wants someone to tell him to throw it away.
So here it is;   THROW IT AWAY.
Spend your money on the Hubsan X4.  Only $28.94 on amazon.

Yes it is true that Hubsan sells little toy quads. But they also sell 350 size quads with the same features as DJI has. Plus Hubsan controllers come with a built-in screen. With a jack that you can plug in goggles if you like. Or use your own 5.8GHz goggles if you rather use those.
2017-1-14
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

ems12a@gmail.co Posted at 2017-1-14 08:06
You're kinda being obtuse here, you bought a "refurbished" unit from DJI that obviously wasn't refurbished. Unless there is a no return policy on refurbished units send the dam thing back to them and give them a piece of your mind in sending you a crap unit.

A lot of us are failing to see the problem here lol

What good will that do? They will just resell to someone else. And if that ends up in the hands of a newbie, it will probably fly away on them. Then they will be out the money. So that isn't a good idea at all. All that would do is to add to the existing problem.
2017-1-14
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-1-14 08:05
Why are you arguing? You asked for advice (supposedly), you got sound advice (although I would have thought any normal person would already know to do what was suggested), and you act as though it is bad advice. If you really feel that way just throw it away and don't bother everyone with these questions.
smh

Sure I want advice. I need to document all of the previous flight logs and open up a full investigation. And I also probably need help fixing everything that is wrong with it.
2017-1-14
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-14 08:20
Sure I want advice. I need to document all of the previous flight logs and open up a full investigation. And I also probably need help fixing everything that is wrong with it.

I'll give you $50 for it plus shipping.  Let me know where to send the money.
2017-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-14 08:20

Please respond to post #32, and get the replacement which you require. ;-)
You replied to each post, but the only one that matters most. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-14
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

WD9EON Posted at 2017-1-14 09:08
I'll give you $50 for it plus shipping.  Let me know where to send the money.

If you are looking for defective Phantoms, I am sure DJI can set you right up. Heck I didn't even ask them for one and they were kind enough to send me one anyway. That was very generous of them.
2017-1-14
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules