Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 Unboxing "Gotcha's"
4843 29 2017-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GabeZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 768448 ft
United States

Hello All,
   I really hope a few members read this before unboxing their Inspire 2's, because these minor things caught me off guard.

1.  It's possible to unbox the Inspire upside down if your looking at only the latches.  The logo should be on top and the latches actually open backwards from a suitcase (Why DJI?).

3.  To move the plastic releases that hold the propellers inside the case, you have to push down first and then turn (I was pushing and pushing until I figured this out).

4.  There are two rubber covers inside the inspire 2.  You have to remove these before installing the batteries (I was pushing and pushing until I figured this out).

5.  There is no good place to put your hands when inserting the batteries and they don't just easily slide into place (I found myself trying to grasp the bottom, but "oh no".... sensitive sensors there.  I also found myself trying to grasp the top, but "oh no" ....sensors there too.  Eventually I settled with leveraging the nose while I push the batteries in)

6.  The white propellers fit so snug that you have to push them completely down on the hub or they will get stuck by the latching mechanism (Sorry for all those that learned this the hard way).

7.  Phones cannot do PIP (For those that don't have a tablet, your going to need one).

8.  The case is actually a giant foam block with rubber bumpers, a plastic handle, and plastic latches (Flashbacks from Phantom 4).

9.  You can only fit 4 batteries in the case and if you load two into the Inspire, it will no longer fit. (Time to get a better case or something extra to carry batteries in)

10.  The battery release button is actually silver with black paint.  Mine came chipped out of box (If you love lotions or colognes, wash your hands before handling as the finish won't last)

11.  The inspire itself, for lack of a better term, is not pristine.  It has noticeable imperfections in the molding, paint, and finish (Production rush DJI?).

12.  If you can't find the included SD card, it's probably inside the inspire (Thanks DJI, but if I'm counting components in the box, this is the only one not in a bag).

13.  The propeller releases are not in the correct positions.  You have to rotate them all to the unlock position. (Why DJI?)

14.  The camera box logo is backwards from the logo on the case.  This is the only direction the camera box case will fit (buckle of the camera case facing the inside of the inspire case, but congrats on DJI for properly orienting the camera box latch)

2017-1-13
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Nice informative post , thanks for sharing .
Another member  ( Dr Jon ) mentioned you must keep the batteris in the original pairing confiuration to work also , I thought that Interesting .  I did not test it personally , Have you found this to be true .  I dont own the I2 so cant confirm this .  

donnie
2017-1-14
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-14 05:12
Another member  ( Dr Jon ) mentioned you must keep the batteris in the original pairing confiuration to work also , I thought that Interesting .  I did not test it personally , Have you found this to be true .  I dont own the I2 so cant confirm this .  

I2 will work with 1 battery, has to be on the right side (looking from behind)
Just tried it, getting a warning to install more batteries but motors spool up.

IMG_0253.jpeg
2017-1-14
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-1-14 08:01

Interesting , member Dr Jon had trouble with this, and so did another forum member  .  Well the  proof is in Living color, thanks for sharing.

donnie
2017-1-14
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.4
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-1-14 08:01

Hi Cougar,
    Was this before or after you let the batteries pair?  I'll have to try mine again.  In any case, I only have one set of batteries currently.  I'll be doing more testing once I get another set.  

As a side note, does your Inspire show a hazard symbol on downward sensor that says "landing gear lowered"?  I'm thinking this is supposed to happen, but I have yet to take my first flight.
2017-1-14
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

GabeZ Posted at 2017-1-14 10:35
Hi Cougar,
    Was this before or after you let the batteries pair?  I'll have to try mine again.  In any case, I only have one set of batteries currently.  I'll be doing more testing once I get another set.  

GabeZ, the batteries are automatically paired when first inserting and power on (at least that is what it seems like) I tried to press the pair button when I first got my I2 and nothing happened (it said paired before I pressed).

Second question: yes mine does the same thing but it disappears when u start up and fly. Have done a few flights (when weather cooperates) and the I2 is awesome.  
Edit: I am on IOS, if that would have any impact?
2017-1-14
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.4
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-1-14 11:12
GabeZ, the batteries are automatically paired when first inserting and power on (at least that is what it seems like) I tried to press the pair button when I first got my I2 and nothing happened (it said paired before I pressed).

Second question: yes mine does the same thing but it disappears when u start up and fly. Have done a few flights (when weather cooperates) and the I2 is awesome.  

Hi Cougar,
  I knew about the auto pairing, so I'm assuming you installed one battery following the auto pairing and it worked?  Also, I'm getting antsy and really wanting  to fly mine.  I have a x4s on order as well, and I told myself I'd wait to get it before trying.  I should have it within another week or so.  What really disappointed me was the flaws in finish, modeling, paint, etc.  I don't know if yours has any blemishes, but mine sure does.  Aside from the chip on the battery release,  it has some light markings on various parts of the aircraft as well as a rough spec on the nose.  I'm sure there are other places, but I haven't really looked it over longer than a few minutes.  And before anyone asks, it did come brand new and unopened.  I had to open the box, pull out the foam inserts, peal away the paper add that bound it, and unlatch like everyone else.
2017-1-14
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2017-1-14 15:01
Hi Cougar,
  I knew about the auto pairing, so I'm assuming you installed one battery following the auto pairing and it worked?  Also, I'm getting antsy and really wanting  to fly mine.  I have a x4s on order as well, and I told myself I'd wait to get it before trying.  I should have it within another week or so.  What really disappointed me was the flaws in finish, modeling, paint, etc.  I don't know if yours has any blemishes, but mine sure does.  Aside from the chip on the battery release,  it has some light markings on various parts of the aircraft as well as a rough spec on the nose.  I'm sure there are other places, but I haven't really looked it over longer than a few minutes.  And before anyone asks, it did come brand new and unopened.  I had to open the box, pull out the foam inserts, peal away the paper add that bound it, and unlatch like everyone else.

Hi Gabe
I am wondering if the issues you have been experiencing are due to the magnesium parts used on the body now. Plastic parts are easier to keep clean and the maintain the finish standards.   I am sorry you are disappointed with the appearance. I am looking forward to purchasing the new I2 and at this higher price. I personally would not like to get one in bad condition.
Did you order extra batteries and if so, did they not come with the Inspire 2 delivery?   Seems like a lot of folks have reported they did not get the extra batteries they ordered
Rich
2017-1-14
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.4
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-1-14 16:13
Hi Gabe
I am wondering if the issues you have been experiencing are due to the magnesium parts used on the body now. Plastic parts are easier to keep clean and the maintain the finish standards.   I am sorry you are disappointed with the appearance. I am looking forward to purchasing the new I2 and at this higher price. I personally would not like to get one in bad condition.
Did you order extra batteries and if so, did they not come with the Inspire 2 delivery?   Seems like a lot of folks have reported they did not get the extra batteries they ordered

Hi Rich,
   I haven't ordered the second set of batteries yet.  Just purchasing the Inspire and camera kind of stretched me thin.  I was going to run it a bit and then get those extra batteries.  I don't think it's the alloy process causing these issues, because even the plastics show some flaws.  These are the flaw markings that usually show when production is rushed.  I can't prove it, but once you get yours, you'll see what I mean.  The carbon fiber looks great, but the other pieces show these markings, blemishes, and chips.  I bet I could surprise you by taking pictures and showing it.  But I'm not out to pick on DJI so much as I'm hoping they fix it.  Will the inspire fly like a dream regardless of these flaw, marks, blemishes?  Probably....  

However, I will say that no matter how good this case looks, it's still a big block of foam. This case will definitely not hold up.  An aircraft this nice deserves a better case.  I'm sorry DJI, but $250 for a block of foam does not make me feel confident that my investment is protected.  This case shouldn't be anymore than $100 max.... and that's being generous.  Offer a real case for $250.
2017-1-14
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

@GageZ, Think that either I got lucky or you got very unlucky. My I2 is flawless in fit and finish, very impressed.
I can however agree with you that the case in no way is worth $250, maybe $40-50, to me it is not a case to be used but merely for the initial delivery.  
2017-1-14
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.4
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-1-14 18:46
@GageZ, Think that either I got lucky or you got very unlucky. My I2 is flawless in fit and finish, very impressed.
I can however agree with you that the case in no way is worth $250, maybe $40-50, to me it is not a case to be used but merely for the initial delivery.

I think I'll take some pictures after all.  I'll circle all the trouble areas.  Who knows, maybe DJI will comment on the quality.  Stay tunned.... will be back with pics.
2017-1-14
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.4
United States

Well.... My picture venture fell a little short when I found out just how hard it is to photograph aluminum.....   I circled the problem areas, but it's very hard to see.  The aluminum kept reflecting back on the camera, and I didn't have a good enough natural light source to make it stand out.  But I can confirm that if you touch these areas, you can feel the change in texture and finish.
Pic 1.JPG
Pic 2.JPG
Pic 3.JPG
2017-1-14
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2017-1-14 20:09
Well.... My picture venture fell a little short when I found out just how hard it is to photograph aluminum.....   I circled the problem areas, but it's very hard to see.  The aluminum kept reflecting back on the camera, and I didn't have a good enough natural light source to make it stand out.  But I can confirm that if you touch these areas, you can feel the change in texture and finish.

Thanks for sharing and it is to bad that you got some below-par parts. Maybe DJI can comment and if you have the DJI refresh, turn it back for warranty.

I have heard the Inspire 2 fly's like a dream with power to spare!  I am still saving my money for the new drone.

I am super happy you were able to buy one Gabe!

Rich
2017-1-14
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.4
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-1-14 20:41
Thanks for sharing and it is to bad that you got some below-par parts. Maybe DJI can comment and if you have the DJI refresh, turn it back for warranty.

I have heard the Inspire 2 fly's like a dream with power to spare!  I am still saving my money for the new drone.

It isn't really a deal breaker, but these marks shouldn't have been there.  I quit after trying to take pictures of those 3 spots.  Perhaps I'm overly particular, but my Inspire 1 was the opposite.  I'm still glad I got one though, and I can't wait to fly it.  I'll share some video once I get my camera in.  I was even debating cheating and just taking it for a quick spin with only the FPV camera.  But I always make it a point to record something on maiden flights.  I'll probably fall in love with it just like I did with the Inspire 1.  I need to teach myself to not put my hands anywhere near the back of the aircraft when loading a battery.  Surprisingly, this is an unconscious tendency when pushing the batteries in.  With my luck, I'll grab it wrong and pop the mesh on a sonar sensor or something.....  And it doesn't look easy to fix like the Inspire 1.
2017-1-14
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Good tips about unboxing. I think the case is quite classy.

As for robustness, my original Inspire 1 case has traveled to three continents and is still fine. Just stuck fragile stickers on the box and apart from the feet cracking (which is why the present case has no feet) - the box is still fine. Must be rough baggage handlers in the US. I'm happy to trade some robustness  (weight) for the present design.

IMO it doesn't make sense to put more battery slots since you can't carry batteries in an aircraft. So yes, 4 slots is perhaps 2 to few but I think market analysis will show that few used the original case to carry 6-8 batteries anyway.

Finish is fine. IMO. That metallic skin finish will eventually get pitted (magnesium finishes)  and such but did you buy the Inspire 2 to gawk at or to take great images?
2017-1-15
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.4
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-15 06:11
Good tips about unboxing. I think the case is quite classy.

As for robustness, my original Inspire 1 case has traveled to three continents and is still fine. Just stuck fragile stickers on the box and apart from the feet cracking (which is why the present case has no feet) - the box is still fine. Must be rough baggage handlers in the US. I'm happy to trade some robustness  (weight) for the present design.

Hi Mike,
     The inspire 1's case is rubber on the outside while the Inspire 2's case is all foam.  My argument is not about how nice it looks, but whether or not it will last or adequately protect the aircraft.  I plan to baby it as long as I can, but even I can see that bits of foam are going to get chipped and gouged off this thing.  With enough repeated lifts, this plastic handle will detach from the rest of the foam core and cause the whole thing to drop.  I wouldn't even try to put this through any type of luggage handling.  It will come out a cracked, gouged, and chipped mess.  You can't even lock it, and theft is high during travel.

With all due respect Mike, I'm affraid your being overly optimistic and less realistic.  Even the Inspire 1's case was not found suitable, and it had better materials.

As for your comment about the way it looks, let me give you a comparison.  Suppose you went to the car dealer to buy a work truck.  It's supposed to be brand new, but there are already scratches and pits in the paint.  Would you pay full price for that vehicle even though you knew it didn't matter for its use?
2017-1-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

GabeZ Posted at 2017-1-15 08:28
Hi Mike,
     The inspire 1's case is rubber on the outside while the Inspire 2's case is all foam.  My argument is not about how nice it looks, but whether or not it will last or adequately protect the aircraft.  I plan to baby it as long as I can, but even I can see that bits of foam are going to get chipped and gouged off this thing.  With enough repeated lifts, this plastic handle will detach from the rest of the foam core and cause the whole thing to drop.  I wouldn't even try to put this through any type of luggage handling.  It will come out a cracked, gouged, and chipped mess.  You can't even lock it, and theft is high during travel.

I can see you are quite an afficiando.
The P4 case is made of lower density PP but its doing well enough that third parties are making backpacking covers for it.

I guess different people have different use models for their purchases. Such is life?
2017-1-15
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.4
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-15 21:39
I can see you are quite an afficiando.
The P4 case is made of lower density PP but its doing well enough that third parties are making backpacking covers for it.

If the case were an insert, I'd be completely happy with it.  It needs something to protect it.  Right now it just feels raw and susceptible to damage.  I can already see marks and indentations on mine just from the wrap around paper seal that was around it.  Also, part of the DJI logo on the case is chipped off.  And that's straight out of the box......     Time will tell the story.
2017-1-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

GabeZ Posted at 2017-1-15 21:57
If the case were an insert, I'd be completely happy with it.  It needs something to protect it.  Right now it just feels raw and susceptible to damage.  I can already see marks and indentations on mine just from the wrap around paper seal that was around it.  Also, part of the DJI logo on the case is chipped off.  And that's straight out of the box......     Time will tell the story.

Yep, indeed. We'll learn either way at my expense then ...
I do agree with your criticism about indicating which side is right side up. My bird tumbled out and had a headache. Then again, who would put their logo on the bottom instead of the top cover?
2017-1-16
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

I was one of those who saw the latches and didn't even pay attention to the logo,  Ended up opening it up side down.   I was lucky enough the drone stuck to the top cover and didn't actually fall to the ground!!
2017-1-16
Use props
JohnnieYaz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
United States

Opened mine correctly, but noticed the x4S camera box is way too tight to easily pop back in out and my second controller will have go in face up. The box is made for second foam insert to both go in sideways , but who at DJI will get me one? I hope it comes with my second controller on BO. lol Lastly my Sony 16GB SD card was junk. I got no videos from my first flights and only the pictures stored in the app. Thew card will start to read in my windows 10 controller but the disconnects. Tried to reformat and it just empty now and never finishes a format. dji chat was a waist of and hour and never helped get me a new SD card.
2017-1-16
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.4
United States

MadFrenchie Posted at 2017-1-16 06:57
I was one of those who saw the latches and didn't even pay attention to the logo,  Ended up opening it up side down.   I was lucky enough the drone stuck to the top cover and didn't actually fall to the ground!!

Oh man...... that makes 3 of us.  I looked at the latches, faced them down like a suitcase, unlatched, and lifted up.  When the AC adapter fell out and I saw the aircraft upside down, I was like......... Damn.....   

Fortunately, mine was stuck in the top lid too.
2017-1-16
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.4
United States

Brand new Gotcha added.  When you finally get your camera (assuming you ordered it separate), the box fits very snug in the cut out of the inspire case.  But it will only truly fit one way....... with the logo of the box completely backwards from the logo on the outside of the case.  The buckle of the camera case has to be facing the inside and not the outside of the case.  While you can fit it the other way, the inspire case won't close because the buckle starts to wedge into the side of the case.  However, congrats to DJI for orienting the latch of the camera case properly.  Latches are meant to be in the orientation of a suitcase.
2017-1-31
Use props
Spiky247
lvl.1
Flight distance : 455459 ft
Hong Kong

I found the compartment for the gimbal box too tight, so I removed the foam filler from the gimbal box and put it directly into the gimbal compartment in the case (the filler is not glued into the box).  Now I can access the gimbal more quickly and the gimbal box works as storage for lenses and accessories.
IMG_9083.jpg
2017-2-1
Use props
NJ Flying Crazy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 765909 ft
United States

Spiky247 Posted at 2017-2-1 10:29
I found the compartment for the gimbal box too tight, so I removed the foam filler from the gimbal box and put it directly into the gimbal compartment in the case (the filler is not glued into the box).  Now I can access the gimbal more quickly and the gimbal box works as storage for lenses and accessories.

spiky great idea on the gimbal!  I'm going to have to try that as I just picked up another lens and filters etc.  But question, I wish there was a way to slide a tablet in there.  Right now I'm using that extra bay (only have one controller) for my ipad mini.  
**update I just saw you have your ipad in there!!!*** amazing, stealing your pic and copying your setup, thanks!!!  
2017-2-2
Use props
Spiky247
lvl.1
Flight distance : 455459 ft
Hong Kong

the ipad mini and the gimbal box will fit fine in the auxiliary controller compartment.
2017-2-2
Use props
Octavian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56158 ft
United States

Didn't try the pairing to see what is doing but is not really necessary. What I know paring is for intelligent charger to charge the pair at the same time. If not the charger will decide which one will charge first. He will start with the one who is almost full and he will let the most discharged one last. This is what I know yet, I'm in process of learning.  
2017-2-15
Use props
Octavian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56158 ft
United States

Update at paring batteries. Is good to pair then if you have 4. Why? If you don't pair them the charger will charge one at the time. If they are paired he will charge 2 at the same time. Maybe pairing is good for something else. I don't know yet.
2017-2-15
Use props
Coigreach
Second Officer
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Octavian Posted at 2017-2-15 20:35
Update at paring batteries. Is good to pair then if you have 4. Why? If you don't pair them the charger will charge one at the time. If they are paired he will charge 2 at the same time. Maybe pairing is good for something else. I don't know yet.

I think the idea about pairing is if you always use the same to batteries in the aircraft as the same time then they will always have the same amount of charge and discharges for example if you only had 2 batteries and flown then 100 times and then bought a new set that had never been flown.  it is best to keep the old one together and not mix them up.

someone please correct me if I have this wrong.
2017-2-15
Use props
IDFParadog
New

United States

Hey Gabe, your words of wisdom per se made me laugh an as well think back to military initial ROEs of common sense, but not govt sense.  lol.  I found your references very helpful when I do actually become a I2 greenhorn.  I am parientlly awaiting a bundle offer to include the 7.85" CrystalSky monitor n a brief delay of ownership to be forthcoming of DJI bugs worked out ASAP.  Like to add ya a freind, is that a Go?  An a big thanks to all lurkers who share insight n experience with problems an/or interesting issues.  One being mid flight KIA, I've been alerted to on this forum.  Not good,,,  if anyone has any knowledge of a pending release date on offering CrystqlSky please let me know ASAP.  As I am waiting in the wings of a toe jumper. Laugh n Grin,,,  Ty
2017-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules