First practice with a purpose
652 10 2017-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dav 0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 277585 ft

I've been just messing around capturing photos and videos but tomorrow I'm filming at the bmx club, weather permitting. I had a look at the location today when it was empty with results here:
https://www.skypixel.com/pilot/videos/share/iford-bmx-shot-warm-up?account=davidbo-21799a00-9727-4408-98e7-d2e97e7d23f1

Any tips for shots tomorrow would be welcomed.

2017-1-14
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I did a video at a motox track, you may get some ideas from it http://forum.dji.com/thread-65163-1-1.html
Didn't move about too much, lots of hazards to think about, tried to keep from going directly above track or in the face of riders.

But that was a private event on private land. I'm guessing that's a public / council track, you may need to keep 50m at least.

Looking forward to seeing what you get
2017-1-14
Use props
Dav 0
lvl.2

That looks like a lot of fun. Looks like the rain might keep me away tomorrow though.
2017-1-14
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dav 0 Posted at 2017-1-14 17:56
That looks like a lot of fun. Looks like the rain might keep me away tomorrow though.

Safest way... do a POINT OF INTEREST with a 150' diameter. You can then go up and down and then do post editing. You don't want to be on top of the riders or spectators...Always and forever..SAFETY FIRST!
2017-1-14
Use props
Dav 0
lvl.2

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-1-14 18:26
Safest way... do a POINT OF INTEREST with a 150' diameter. You can then go up and down and then do post editing. You don't want to be on top of the riders or spectators...Always and forever..SAFETY FIRST!

Thanks for the tip.

If I was using an intelligent flight mode to do the point of interest, wouldn't the bird have to record the interested point even if briefly by hovering directly over it even if for a moment?

Are you suggesting I shoot in 4K and then zoom in editing later?

As it happens it was a bit drissly today so scared me away. I also wanted to make sure my liability insurance was appropriate for the even now I have scoped out the area.
2017-1-15
Use props
Dav 0
lvl.2

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-1-14 13:43
I did a video at a motox track, you may get some ideas from it http://forum.dji.com/thread-65163-1-1.html
Didn't move about too much, lots of hazards to think about, tried to keep from going directly above track or in the face of riders.

The space is council owned but the club has exclusive use of it on these occasions.  I note you must not fly within 50m of any person not in control of the operator; but in this case where exclusive use of the land is given and with the consent and compliance  of the subjects do they then become under my control meaning that the 50m rule can be decreased to adhere to a safety standards instead? Surely with consent, the subject of the shot is no different to a spotter, person with me, assistant or any other person under my control.

No money or payment in kind or otherwise is being exchanged in this situation.
2017-1-15
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Are the public allowed to come in and watch, how do you plan to put those people under your control. How do you enforce a 50m control cordon so random people don't enter it.

We could debate the ins and outs of this for years and we'd never get any flying done

Personally, I wouldn't get in close at all, the risk of hurting a random member of the public is to high. A more experienced pilot maybe happier about it, or have a clear plan of what shots can be done safely. It's not like flying around a field or doing landscape vids, it's get chaotic very quickly with people on site.

My inner anarchist says "go for it and have a great time"
2017-1-15
Use props
Dav 0
lvl.2

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-1-15 04:39
Are the public allowed to come in and watch, how do you plan to put those people under your control. How do you enforce a 50m control cordon so random people don't enter it.

We could debate the ins and outs of this for years and we'd never get any flying done

Thanks for the advice.

Public can't get inside the track and cordons are put around certain areas on the outside. I'd have to get my tape measure out to work out the exact distances.

I agree, codes,regulations are never concrete until it has been tested as case law in court (and I'd prefer not to be the first to test it). I just wanted to make sure my interpretation wasn't bonkers.

I've decided that I'll join them on a quiet practice night where although it's not so tightly controlled there should be just a handful of people to work with.

Watch this space.
2017-1-15
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dav 0 Posted at 2017-1-15 05:05
Thanks for the advice.

Public can't get inside the track and cordons are put around certain areas on the outside. I'd have to get my tape measure out to work out the exact distances.

That is me, if I am doing the job. Even I you have consent from the owners they are NOT going to defend you in case something happened. Why risk it and bring more bad and unwanted publicity to the drone arena???

That is my 2 cents...No matter what safety of everyone is FIRST and LAST!!!
2017-1-15
Use props
Ricky Wu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

Excellent, just excellent!
2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The shots are well composed, thanks for showing the tests.
2017-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules