Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Oh Snap! That just happened...
831 7 2017-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DENISG3577
lvl.2
Flight distance : 357080 ft
United States

I was flying my mavic over at a neighbor's house.  It was going to be a short flight...straight up and back.  I took it to 60 meters.  I then trurned the nose around to face forward to line it up and bring it back down.  I then began to move the gimble down so I could take a picture of my neighbors house.  I was not moving any of the sticks.  I then heard a snap sound (there were no trees near the mavic).  My immediately response was to say 'that didn't sound good' out loud. I looked up and saw the mavic violently wobble althernating right and left sides up and down. This lasted maybe a second at most.  I didn't touch the sticks as I was hoping the mavic would self compensate.  But the next thing that happened was that it started a fast death spiral straight down.  I did try to pull it up and over to make sure it didn't hit anything while it was coming down.  Thankfully it didn't.  But the mavic is totaled.  Small note...one of the rotors was missing a blade.  I do not know if it came off during/after the crash...or was the cause of the 'snap' sound.  

I went through the flight recording and didn't find anything out of the ordinary.  The only warning I got was 'gimble pitch reached limit'.  But this came up during the death spiral.  

I had logged in over 20 flights with zero issues.  There was zero wind and a very short flight (batteries fully charged on both RC and Mavic).  Any thoughts on what happened?  Anyone ever experience something like this?

Thank you
2017-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Please post links to your flight LOG files.
Visit http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/
and www.healthydrones.com for instructions thanks.

RedHotPoker

2017-1-14
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

sounds like bird strike or power line or tree branch.  Most likely bird strike would be my guess.
2017-1-14
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I agree that something likely caused the prop to break which of course lead to the crash. Bummer.
2017-1-14
Use props
DENISG3577
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-14 16:32
Please post links to your flight LOG files.
Visit http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/
and www.healthydrones.com for instructions thanks.

Below is the link to that flight.  

I want near any power lines, and I was above the tree line.  So I guess it could have been a bird.  That would be bad luck!  

Thank you for your help.

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=LLbghQ
2017-1-14
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

DENISG3577 Posted at 2017-1-14 20:21

I want near any power lines, and I was above the tree line.  So I guess it could have been a bird.  That would be bad luck!  

Sorry, have to ask. Your avatar, why?
But on your thread, is it posable it just broke up in mid flight? It's the one thing I don't like about the Mavic, it seems brittle.

2017-1-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

DENISG3577 Posted at 2017-1-14 20:21

Bird, bat, UFO... ;-)  something appears out of nowhere and bang, then the next thing is your drone's dropping fast.

RedHotPoker

2017-1-14
Use props
DENISG3577
lvl.2
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-14 20:25
Sorry, have to ask. Your avatar, why?
But on your thread, is it posable it just broke up in mid flight? It's the one thing I don't like about the Mavic, it seems brittle.

It was so over the top it made me laugh.  I try not to take myself too seriously.  
2017-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules