Warm Spot Mavic
3015 18 2017-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdd26dc3a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 528530 ft
Italy

I have noticed that the mavic has a warm spot in my images. I have uploaded the original and an enhanced imaged to bring out the warm spot.

I have done multiple testing
- Calibrated gimbal, compass, IMU
- Reset Camera setting
- Different colour modes
- Jpegs and Raw both visible
- Changed firmware and refreshed latest one

What is goinf on with this camera?
DJI_0008.jpg
DJI_0015.jpg
DJI_0015 Original.jpg
2017-1-15
Use props
JLP
lvl.1

South Africa

There seems to be a few cases that if you don't use Auto WB, then the warm spot doesn't appear.... I haven't had the chance to test it myself, but fortunately the spot can be corrected quite easily in Lightroom. I know it's more of a work around, than an actual solution, but until there's a formal answer from DJI about it, that solution will have to do
2017-1-15
Use props
JLP
lvl.1

South Africa

Here's a link to one of the posts with more replies on it... https://forum.dji.com/thread-75707-1-1.html
2017-1-15
Use props
JLP
lvl.1

South Africa

Here's a link to one of the posts with more replies on it... https://forum.dji.com/thread-75707-1-1.html and another here http://forum.dji.com/thread-80632-1-1.html
2017-1-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Color shading effect is inherently the optical character of highly compact camera modules.
It's not caused by defective lenses.
You could try to reduce saturation which might help.
2017-1-15
Use props
JLP
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-15 23:40
Color shading effect is inherently the optical character of highly compact camera modules.
It's not caused by defective lenses.
You could try to reduce saturation which might help.

Hi Mindy, So you're saying that the module in my cellphone which is highly compact, has that optical characteristic??

HIGHLY doubt that. Reducing saturation will make it less noticeable, but it is still noticeable nonetheless. In fact, I can tell you that it doesn't have that problem as I've used imy phone for over going on 2 years and haven't noticed an issue.

This is a problem with some units (possible all units) that a lot of users seem to be having. Please contact your tech department and let them know about the issue. Please see the links I posted above for reference. In one of them @DJI Ken is responding, but there's no solid answer
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

JLP Posted at 2017-1-16 09:55
Hi Mindy, So you're saying that the module in my cellphone which is highly compact, has that optical characteristic??

HIGHLY doubt that. Reducing saturation will make it less noticeable, but it is still noticeable nonetheless. In fact, I can tell you that it doesn't have that problem as I've used imy phone for over going on 2 years and haven't noticed an issue.

It is a hardware limitation of the Mavic's sensor and it's difficult to eliminate it.
I'm looking for a detailed explanation of it. it has to do with the color vignette characteristics.This can happen indoors under artifical light.
2017-1-16
Use props
JLP
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-16 10:24
It is a hardware limitation of the Mavic's sensor and it's difficult to eliminate it.
I'm looking for a detailed explanation of it. it has to do with the color vignette characteristics.This can happen indoors under artifical light.

Thanks for the quick explaination Ken, but then how does one explain the occurances which are happening outoors and in natural light?
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JLP Posted at 2017-1-16 10:33
Thanks for the quick explaination Ken, but then how does one explain the occurances which are happening outoors and in natural light?

It can happen outdoors in bright sunlight as well.
I'm waiting for the detailed explanation and will post it here when I get it.
2017-1-16
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-16 10:24

Hi Ken!
I spoke today with the store and they tell me that it is ok to return my mavic for full refund under 14 days return for online shopping legislation.
I do not want to return it...after that much waiting..the quad fly very well, but that problem with the camera it is really ugly.
The position of DJI is that nothing could be do? that the problem it is at hardware level...the sensor is basically like that?
If this is true then it is very bad. Which manufacturer will make a video/photo sensor with color aberration? No one!
Not thru and not existing problem of smaller sensors like in smartphones...milliards of smartphones are in the market and no one will exhibit something like this...only if it is broken.
I only see this problem appeared on one samsung s5 of one of my friends that  after some time begin acting like this...was broken camera units/sensor. My samsung s5 plus 2 years old never ever do that.
The sensor tend to do that discolor more outside and not inside...
If I will wait more for a resolution I will loose the right to recover my money full refund.
Please state the official DJI position abut this problem...more and more discover that problem and nobody is ok with it...soon a critical mass will demand repairs or money back because this. Nobody buy a camera for 1500E that has sensor with color problems. Youtube it is full of movies that exhibit that problem.
What I could do? Please PM me I want a real solution for this clear as day.
Thank you!
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

daivatam Posted at 2017-1-16 12:10
Hi Ken!
I spoke today with the store and they tell me that it is ok to return my mavic for full refund under 14 days return for online shopping legislation.
I do not want to return it...after that much waiting..the quad fly very well, but that problem with the camera it is really ugly.

I already said it was a hardware limitation.
If if is something you cannot live with then you would have to return the Mavic.
2017-1-16
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Romania

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-16 12:34
If if is something you cannot live with then you would have to return the Mavic.

Thank you for reply.
Indeed bad thing.
xiaomy yi 4k camera and htc one M10 and Huawei Nexus 6P all employ the same sensor sony IMX377 and they don't have that problem...
2017-1-16
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Romania

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-16 12:34

One more thing please if U could answer

I see a lot of replies from your colleagues that say this issue will be solved with the following firmware...could this be true or not?

Thank you!
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

daivatam Posted at 2017-1-16 13:33
One more thing please if U could answer

I see a lot of replies from your colleagues that say this issue will be solved with the following firmware...could this be true or not?

I am not sure, I see it being a hardware limitation.
But maybe firmware can make adjustments.
Again, I'm waiting for the detailed statement and will post when available.
2017-1-16
Use props
bogdanteo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111719 ft
Romania

Ken, any idea when the new firmware might be released?
Thanks.
2017-1-16
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155961 ft
Canada

I see the warm spot especially in winter sceneries and similar pale surfaces. I hardly noticed when I shot nature and landscape when I received the Mavic last fall.
I understand (at least for now) that it is inherent of the tiny camera design. Correcting in firmware could be a possibility but probably difficult since it varies with the ambient condition (by what I saw).

Now, personally when shooting winter scenery with it showing, I just correct it in Resolve. It can be corrected to the point that it is barely noticable at all.
2017-1-16
Use props
fans6b1659a0
lvl.2

United States

daivatam Posted at 2017-1-16 12:10
Hi Ken!

I think you need to make a decision...
To be safe just return it for full refund.
Not much ken can say.
Return it and down the road if its fixed to your liking,buy it again.
All decisions in life cant be made for you my friend.
2017-1-16
Use props
SedaP3
lvl.1

United States

The real problem is people who have noticed this more recently  and have surpassed their 14 days... What's their resolution? People are supposed to deal with a flawed camera? They've had 4k recording I n cellphones for a couple of years now none with a warm spot in the middle.  Dji answer is unacceptable, how do you remedy for people beyond the return?
2017-2-1
Use props
littlewings
lvl.2
Flight distance : 487300 ft
Portugal

I did an extensive analysis with the most recent firmware .800, both in photo DNG/JPEG and Video.

Here is a blog post with the results
http://www.paulocunhamartins.com ... ed-footage-quality/
2017-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules