First crash after YEARS of flying DJI products. Help appreciated!
7415 163 2017-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

REDBARON0 Posted at 2017-1-27 06:21
AGAIN,

WHY :  If you could get your story right between multiple forums then perhaps more people here will continue to enable you.

"Piloted your craft into a tree, end of story" has been posted by you at least 3x now and that is not the end of the story and since the first time you posted it, I have really not cared about anything you had to say.  

You don't even know what the word enable means apparently. "WHY :  If you could get your story right between multiple forums then perhaps more people here will continue to enable you.". What does this even mean? "Enable" means to give someone the ability to do something (usually in a negative context) such as a drug dealer enables a drug user to continue his habit. There is your lesson for the day.

Since I began this thread, I have already learned how to convert my own files and how to read the and get all the info I need.

Most of the people here are awesome but there about 2 or 3 (and I see them in all the crash threads as now I've been looking) who are agitators and you are one.  Your fascination and conspiracy theory attitude is both baffling and annoying.  I don't want your help and don't need it so why don't you go fly or something and not bother me anymore because you are and it is bordering on harassment at this point.

Please, I am kindly asking you to not post in this thread or at me at all since you are hell bent on trying to get a rise out of me which you wont get. I don't know or care about you and since you are being, absolutely unprovoked, rude, I am asking you to stop.  Any further action by you to aggrivate me for no reason, I will report. You are just doing it for sport. You don't care about anyting I have going on, so please, kindly move on.

***By the way, do you know I have in my PMs about 5 messages now from people that are wondering why you are being the way you are. My hand to god, this is true. Literally 5 PMs and I never get PMs here, are all becasue of two people, you being one, wondering what your problem is.  Two of them have said they stopped posting here because of people like you. Just don't do it. When you feel the need to respond to this and tell me again how I flew into a tree, end of story, go pet a cat instead so somebody will appreciate it.

2017-1-27
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-27 11:27
Sure you arn't saying you have vast experiance.   Look at how you titled the thread and the one word you decided to capitalize.

Good lord, give them brains because they don't have eyes.

As I said in the post, that title is a fact, you can take away from it what you want.

If I had a crash, I wouldn't have said that. If your inference is that after many years of flying model aircraft without a significant crash of any sort means I have "vast experience" as you are purporting that it does, than I do because on my it is the truth.

I didn't say it though, you did. All I did was type in a title to a thread that was factual.  
2017-1-27
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-27 11:18
I habe not only posted the logs, I have posted the video, I have posted the links to HD, have you actually read the thread?

Would a mod erase this thread because it annoys me on a daily basis.

Sorry, your posts are so insulting and self serving I don't often read all of it.  I went into the link you provided.  You setup a waypoint and flew the drone into a tree.  Problem solved.  Also - stop replying and people will stop replying - and this annoying thread will stop bothering you.  
2017-1-27
Use props
REDBARON0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2456043 ft
Canada

...into a tree I say... (5th time)

I couldn't resist. I'll check back in a couple of days .
2017-1-27
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

REDBARON0 Posted at 2017-1-27 13:39
...into a tree I say... (5th time)

I couldn't resist. I'll check back in a couple of days .

Yippie! Can't wait. ;)
2017-1-27
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-20 21:08
Thanks in all.

I appreciate the advice but I don't post on forums to get a degree in writing or to figure out ways to make people interested in my posts by making them more concise although I truly appreciate the offering.

after that suggestion you post a small book in answer

you are an attention hound and love that folks are talking to you.

so sad
2017-1-27
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Kirk2579 Posted at 2017-1-27 21:58
after that suggestion you post a small book in answer

you are an attention hound and love that folks are talking to you.

What suggestion?  What book?

Who even are you? You people with negative comments are just coming out of the woodwork and it's not just me, my inbox is full of people saying "there are a lot of trolls here, just ignore it bro" but I refuse to believe that all these people, like you, are trolls.

I am FAR from an attention hound. I hate this thread and half of the posts in it. I have been defending myself, for some reason that I have no idea why, from accusations based in nothing.

I admit that I write too much but that's because I have a manic mind and type fast and that can sometimes lead to long-winded posts.

My posting in here is not the sad thing, believe me. I have given to the RC community much more than I have taken. I have made many videos to help people, and this and the PP thread is the only time I posted something to try and GET help with something and I did, but not without fending off a bunch of ridiculous posts based in nothing and for nothing, including this one.

If I'm the attention hound, then why would you post that? The only reason I am posting this is because you aimed your criticism at me but if I was someone watching someone else that I thought was "sad, and an attention hound", I wouldn't post it.

I would imagine you don't even see the irony in that you did.
2017-1-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-29 12:08
What suggestion?  What book?

Who even are you? You people with negative comments are just coming out of the woodwork and it's not just me, my inbox is full of people saying "there are a lot of trolls here, just ignore it bro" but I refuse to believe that all these people, like you, are trolls.

If you don't like what you are reading, then stop posting and this thread will die.
2017-1-29
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

ArtisiFirst, do you have news ?
I would like to know if you received some information, and at the end we can know what happened
2017-1-30
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Bullflyer Posted at 2017-1-30 09:23
ArtisiFirst, do you have news ?
I would like to know if you received some information, and at the end we can know what happened

I will let you know what they tell me when they do.

Thanks for the concern.
2017-1-30
Use props
EPT160
lvl.2
Flight distance : 373947 ft
Australia

Sorry have not read entire thread so may have already been mentioned.

But is it possible that barometric pressure in the area had decreased slightly between your first and last (crash) flight? Slightly lower barometric pressure (day warming up?) would result in the P4P flying at a slightly lower altitude??? Just a guess
2017-1-31
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

EPT160 Posted at 2017-1-31 01:12

But is it possible that barometric pressure in the area had decreased slightly between your first and last (crash) flight? Slightly lower barometric pressure (day warming up?) would result in the P4P flying at a slightly lower altitude??? Just a guess

Could be.
Barometer reads air pressure, and at the same altitude (AGL) in the same place, if the pressure has changed and the barometer is not corrected, the altitud is not the same. If the air pressure is higher and you are exactly at the same altitud (AGL) the barometer reads lower altitud, but you really are at the same altitud you were before the pressure changed.But I don't know how the barometer works in these Phantoms.
2017-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bullflyer Posted at 2017-1-31 16:54
Could be.
Barometer reads air pressure, and at the same altitude (AGL) in the same place, if the pressure has changed and the barometer is not corrected, the altitud is not the same. If the air pressure is higher and you are exactly at the same altitud (AGL) the barometer reads lower altitud, but you really are at the same altitud you were before the pressure changed.But I don't know how the barometer works in these Phantoms.

Barometer's are used to measure the rate of change of pressure as height increase, and so present height information, so maybe not barometer reading wrong height...
2017-1-31
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-31 17:07
Barometer's are used to measure the rate of change of pressure as height increase, and so present height information, so maybe not barometer reading wrong height...

The rate  of change of pressure is readed by variometer.  Barometer only reads instant air pressure.
2017-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bullflyer Posted at 2017-1-31 17:36
The rate  of change of pressure is readed by variometer.  Barometer only reads instant air pressure.

I think you will find there is no variometer in a P4.
2017-1-31
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

EPT160 Posted at 2017-1-31 01:12

Never considered that.  

Don't really know the science to what you're suggesting but the "slightly lower" part, is 60 feet or so slight?

Pretty significant but I have no idea, again, about the science of which you speak but thanks for the thought. I will do a little researching.  I am still waiting for DJI to get back to me on what they see.  They are in the "assessment" stage at the moment.

Thanks for the input!
2017-1-31
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Bullflyer Posted at 2017-1-31 16:54
Could be.

You guys have gone beyond my pay grade on this one.
2017-1-31
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

You see? Literally the first time I have heard the word variometer. LOL.

Sounds like something that Willy Wonka makes candy with.  mmmm, chocolate.  
2017-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

A variometer – also known as a rate of climb and descent indicator (RCDI), rate-of-climb indicator, vertical speed
2017-1-31
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-31 17:38
I think you will find there is no variometer in a P4.

Of course, there is a Barometer that reads instant air pressure instead of rate of change of pressure as you said
2017-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-31 17:41
You see? Literally the first time I have heard the word variometer. LOL.

Sounds like something that Willy Wonka makes candy with.  mmmm, chocolate.

I somehow don't think your problem is linked to variometer, since there is not one in P4 , but you never know, hopefully dji will enlighten us all.
2017-2-1
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-1 07:05
I somehow don't think your problem is linked to variometer, since there is not one in P4 , but you never know, hopefully dji will enlighten us all.

It would be interesting for us, if someone from Dji explains how the barometer works.
And how is it corrected when the atmospheric pressure changes. Could be via GPS or via VPS ?
I think we need this information, we could open a thread about this.
2017-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bullflyer Posted at 2017-2-1 08:43
It would be interesting for us, if someone from Dji explains how the barometer works.
And how is it corrected when the atmospheric pressure changes. Could be via GPS or via VPS ?
I think we need this information, we could open a thread about this.

Yes your right, there is a lack of info on a lot of this stuff, and it only leads to people speculating and guessing what to do usually people tell you to calibrate but only because they no , no better.
A simple list of what components are in the body of the machine and a simple explanation of each components relationship to the machine.

If you put up a thread i.e. What does IMU do in these aircraft, you will get so many different answers, and there is no real reference to go to explain, so some will get it right and some will get it wrong so you are left with confusion.

A guy put a thread up on Mavic no so long ago saying to calibrate your IMU , because it's the only thing that will keep you in the air if gps fails, so ridiculous, but other members were inclined to accept this as a rule,
And if you put your two pence in you run the risk of being shot down, so with no clear reference or answers to these questions, you end up with a whole lot of headless chickens. So yes maybe a new thread might help.
2017-2-1
Use props
Thermographer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1417362 ft
United States

Interesting reading

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... or-barometer.51568/

http://forum.dji.com/thread-22311-1-1.html

2017-2-1
Use props
Heniek W
lvl.2

Canada

Thermographer Posted at 2017-2-1 10:02
Interesting reading

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/altitude-detection-gps-or-barometer.51568/

Congratulations on the MEGA thread !,
Man I think if you actually invested your time into productive work instead of typing the entire novel how you crashed your drone, by now  you would probably already earn enough money to buy a new bird lol
2017-2-1
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Heniek W Posted at 2017-2-1 11:42
Congratulations on the MEGA thread !,
Man I think if you actually invested your time into productive work instead of typing the entire novel how you crashed your drone, by now  you would probably already earn enough money to buy a new bird lol

I have enough money to buy a new bird.

In fact, since I have crashed, I have bought two birds and am waiting to pull the trigger on a decked out I2.
2017-2-1
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

SkyMenories. I was wondering the same but I had never had that happen before and I've flown there for years. Certainly possible.
2017-2-2
Use props
fans68580a3f
lvl.2
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-2-2 02:06
SkyMenories. I was wondering the same but I had never had that happen before and I've flown there for years. Certainly possible.

I just stumbled across this thread and would like to ask if you checked sun spot activity at the time of your flight. I ask this because I just retired from operating the MQ-9 Predator and we had to take this into our flight planning for every flight. I have seen very abnormal behavior because of this. Just a thought as this could screw up your GPS.
2017-2-2
Use props
EPT160
lvl.2
Flight distance : 373947 ft
Australia

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-31 17:39
Never considered that.  

Don't really know the science to what you're suggesting but the "slightly lower" part, is 60 feet or so slight?

Yes apparently so. Sixty feet is possible over time.

Read through 'Thermographers' second linked thread on this point (five posts above).
2017-2-3
Use props
The_Death_Angel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 134062 ft
Australia

I read most of the comments on this thread but noticed there was too much to read but just wanted to ask a simple question.

Why didn't the obstacle avoidance kick in and stop the P4 in its tracks? Did you turned off?

Sorry again if someone already asked this question as i did a CTRL F for "obstacle and didn't get a hit after 4 characters.
2017-2-3
Use props
REDBARON0
lvl.3
Canada

This thread just won't die.

....I still blame my ex -wife for all  my problems .  If you had one, and maybe you do, I'm sure we will get along famously !

I love telling the same story : again !

Pilot error + denial = sympathy

If ya don't know where to find the definition ;

I can show you where to find it !  
2017-2-3
Use props
REDBARON0
lvl.3
Canada

We also had  YEARS of experience ....WOW
2017-2-3
Use props
PhantomPhil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44731 ft
United Kingdom

fans68580a3f Posted at 2017-2-2 22:17
I just stumbled across this thread and would like to ask if you checked sun spot activity at the time of your flight. I ask this because I just retired from operating the MQ-9 Predator and we had to take this into our flight planning for every flight. I have seen very abnormal behavior because of this. Just a thought as this could screw up your GPS.

Yes I had wondered about sun spot activity as the cause.

However more likely that a black cat had crossed your path that day or maybe you had walked under a ladder?

I know on the evening that I pointed at the moon the next day when I went out flying my P4P+ I had the dreaded high wind alert message. This is the only time I've ever had this message so I know it had something to do with the pointing at the moon thing.  I think next time ill try throwing a pinch of salt over my shoulder to ward off any bad luck - it usually works.
2017-2-3
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

The_Death_Angel Posted at 2017-2-3 03:23
I read most of the comments on this thread but noticed there was too much to read but just wanted to ask a simple question.

Why didn't the obstacle avoidance kick in and stop the P4 in its tracks? Did you turned off?

OA was on. I can't really blame it for not working. If you watch the video, it just nipped the tip of the tree and the tree was a leafless one and the top of it.  I certainly wish it would have.

I hate my Typhoon H but the OA on it seems to work better and it would have worked.  Of course the OA on the H makes the thing crawl so it's pointless.

But yeah, OA was on but I wouldn't ever bet that it would work in that situation  It needs a more solid structure to recognize. Ironically, if it were lower on the tree and had more of the actual tree to look at, it might have kicked in.

@fans6850a3f, what do you mean sun spot activity and how it could apply towards screwing up the GPS?  First I've hear of it and have no idea what it even means, let alone what contributing factor it may or may not have had. Thanks for the input!
2017-2-3
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

REDBARON0 Posted at 2017-2-3 07:29
This thread just won't die.

....I still blame my ex -wife for all  my problems .  If you had one, and maybe you do, I'm sure we will get along famously !

Yawn already with this.  I just deleted a whole post directed at you once aghain, just saying nothing for nothing. But I am deleting the post and am just going to say, the therad would be dead if it wasn't for people commenting and then you as usual coming once again to say your baseless claim.  The fact of the matter is that I am a control freak when I fly so I blame myself no matter what the other contributing factors may or may not have been and I care about the money it will or wont cost me to repair it much less than the annoyance that you and AlecW have provided throught this thread. Get a new job.
2017-2-3
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

PhantomPhil Posted at 2017-2-3 09:41
Yes I had wondered about sun spot activity as the cause.

However more likely that a black cat had crossed your path that day or maybe you had walked under a ladder?

Ha!  Luck is certainly a factor when it comes to these things. If you watch the video, I could have been LITERALLY 2 feet in either direction (other than down) and I would have missed it.

Hell, even down might have saved it because it would have been more in view for the OA.
2017-2-3
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

As promised, I am going to give you guys info as I get it.

They have not made a determination yet as to whether or not it will be covered because although I sent them all the info I have, that flight (the crash) won't sync so I have to send them my flight record before they make a final determination as they are just working off of the logs that I sent them via HealthyDrones which is all I had because it won't sync.

Either way, the damage assessment isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  Of course, these are wholesale prices, and the 3 in 1 flight board which retails near like $300 is a lot less. Then a couple hours of labor and the whole damage is only, amazingly $361. I will let you know what they determine as far as cause of crash as soon as they are done analyzing.  If it wasn't for the 3 in 1 component (Part 52) being damaged I would have escaped with relatively little damage considering how far it fell. Pretty amazed.  If I would have been able to get it out of the tree, I think the yaw motor would have been the only damage, if that.  Props to DJI on the cost regardless of whether I have to pay it or not.  They certainly don't jack up the cost to retail when repairing.  I thought for sure it would be near totaled.  Without the flight board and labor, it would have only been $107 but I guess there is the flight board and labor so $361 is the worst case scenario.  I'll post their result when I hear it, probably next week.

tem        Quantity        Unit Price(USD)        Total Price(USD)
Phantom4 central cover component        1        8.00        8.00
Phantom4 top cover        1        6.00        6.00
Yaw-axis Motor        1        12.00        12.00
Phantom 4 Roll-shaft bracket V03        1        6.00        6.00
Phantom 4 3-in-1 board component        1        189.00        189.00
Phantom4 right landing gear component        1        10.00        10.00
Service Charge        2        65.00/H        130.00
Freight:                        0.00
Total Amount:                        361.00
DJI Care deduction:                        0.00
Total Payment:                        361.00
2017-2-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-2-3 14:07
As promised, I am going to give you guys info as I get it.

They have not made a determination yet as to whether or not it will be covered because although I sent them all the info I have, that flight (the crash) won't sync so I have to send them my flight record before they make a final determination as they are just working off of the logs that I sent them via HealthyDrones which is all I had because it won't sync.

That looks pretty good, and they don't seem to be charging you shipping. Good luck..
2017-2-3
Use props
fans68580a3f
lvl.2
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-2-3 10:55
OA was on. I can't really blame it for not working. If you watch the video, it just nipped the tip of the tree and the tree was a leafless one and the top of it.  I certainly wish it would have.

I hate my Typhoon H but the OA on it seems to work better and it would have worked.  Of course the OA on the H makes the thing crawl so it's pointless.

Sun spots can and will interfere with satellite signals, most of the time it is only for a few seconds but sometimes can last several minutes. Your phantom needs several satellites to stay the course. If you do a google search you can find several articles on it. Doesn't take much of a signal lost to mess up your nav. Hope this helps.
2017-2-3
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

^^^Interssting. It was certainly a sunny day. Didn't know that. Thanks for it.
2017-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules