Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Any leverage on moderating own thread?
1134 18 2017-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WindSoul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

This is for Dji
If I open a thread, is there any chance I could do like basic moderating myself?
I would like to have minimal control in at least banning people who're getting rude.
I believe even off topic is fine, but some replies are harassing and seem to take advantage of the fact that reporting doesn't seem to be discouraging or effective.
Thank you in advance
2017-1-15
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I wouldn't call banning people 'minimal', post deletion on your 'own' topics has it's merits, but in my experience just causes more fights. Maybe a Safe Space forum would be an idea for the more fragile users.

2017-1-16
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-1-16 02:58
I wouldn't call banning people 'minimal', post deletion on your 'own' topics has it's merits, but in my experience just causes more fights. Maybe a Safe Space forum would be an idea for the more fragile users.

I'm not trying to make any rules, at least not in public. That being said, I salute the idea of a Safe Space. But I maintain my concern that people misbehaving on a public forum reflect on the forum rather than on their victims.
The characters that a forum attracts or repels are free publicity at social scale. I talk with people like me- my friends and acquaintances and this gossip is what brings people in or keeps them away.
If this forum was a kennel, then choosing which pet you keep for seeding, which you neuter and which you put to sleep it always been your call. Enjoy!
2017-1-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Can I have a puppy? Haha

You just need to have thicker skin, if you want to play with the big boys...

RedHotPoker
2017-1-17
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's called reddit.  
2017-1-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hahaha, yeah man!! ;-)

And wear your long pants... Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-17
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-16 18:44
I'm not trying to make any rules, at least not in public. That being said, I salute the idea of a Safe Space. But I maintain my concern that people misbehaving on a public forum reflect on the forum rather than on their victims.
The characters that a forum attracts or repels are free publicity at social scale. I talk with people like me- my friends and acquaintances and this gossip is what brings people in or keeps them away.
If this forum was a kennel, then choosing which pet you keep for seeding, which you neuter and which you put to sleep it always been your call. Enjoy!

Not 100% sure, but I think Matt was making fun when he said a "Safe Space". As that's a term that the colleges + university have been using lately, so the poor kids don't get exposed to opposing views. I agree with you that forum members should not be rude or even condescending when posting. The later being the one that happens a lot, and normally it's off topic too. You said being "off topic" is fine. I assume your meaning when the off topic is a nice thing. Like someone starts talking about a great fishing spot where another poster lives near. And not when it's a put down or criticism on another post when it's not the topic at hand. I had that very thing just happen to me on another thread (being criticized off topic) and I did report it as such. It took less then 24 hours and the posts were deleted (including my replies to them) by the moderator. Felt like I was being pushed into going off topic myself in replying to defend myself.
2017-1-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Suck it up, buttercup!! Haha

The mods have their all-access-pass, to the forum delete functions. ;-)
We on the other hand, only have our own restraint jackets... Chuckles

RedHotPoker

2017-1-17
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-17 12:59
Not 100% sure, but I think Matt was making fun when he said a "Safe Space". As that's a term that the colleges + university have been using lately, so the poor kids don't get exposed to opposing views. I agree with you that forum members should not be rude or even condescending when posting. The later being the one that happens a lot, and normally it's off topic too. You said being "off topic" is fine. I assume your meaning when the off topic is a nice thing. Like someone starts talking about a great fishing spot where another poster lives near. And not when it's a put down or criticism on another post when it's not the topic at hand. I had that very thing just happen to me on another thread (being criticized off topic) and I did report it as such. It took less then 24 hours and the posts were deleted (including my replies to them) by the moderator. Felt like I was being pushed into going off topic myself in replying to defend myself.

i think the time when forums were that outhouse too far to reach under pressure is coming to and end.

reason being that no matter how real or virtual a place is, as long as it stays public then the owner is accountable for what happens on the premises

that being said- again, i'll leave it where it fell. thank you for your input
2017-1-17
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-17 11:30
Can I have a puppy? Haha

depends on what you call play. if that involves rubbing skin, then you may be right.
we may be at the same place, but not for the same reasons.
2017-1-17
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

AlecW Posted at 2017-1-17 11:06
Do you need virtual play-doh and crayons in the safe space?

dont know about that. however, judging by how pale you look, you definitely need some fresh air. i would have recommended aspirin, but theres a limit for drivers. no wonder your convertible lost its wheels.
2017-1-17
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-17 11:30
Can I have a puppy? Haha

a puppy is something unable to take care of itself. to have one, you need to be able to care. they're not toys, cant give you anything they didnt receive first. dont know if you can have one. think wisely before asking.
just a joke, take it for what it is. i didnt ask for yours, you definitely invited mine. enjoy!
2017-1-17
Use props
Ty-Rone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85285 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are some, um, colorful folks on this forum of late.  

How about a BAC monitor instead of OP moderated threads? You must blow below a .08 before you can post... of course, I'd never be able to get anything posted....

'SAFE SPACE'....  for pete's sake....
2017-1-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It would be like giving control of the lunatic asylum to the inmates.
2017-1-17
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-17 18:41
It would be like giving control of the lunatic asylum to the inmates.

i agree. i think would be like anyone who has a question and looks for answers could decide which answers he understands and are worth his while.
now if an answer is erased it meant the thread owner didnt like it. the guy who wrote the answer would automatically receive a strike (sometimes unfair). at three strikes, the guy is banned from the thread.
the benefits will be:
  1. the thread owner will get his answers, on his level of understanding. 100% compatibility.
  2. the contributors with posts visible within say 48h are graded up. they were efficient and helpful
  3. the contributors with posts erased will be graded down. its a risk people will run into negative grades, i agree. but is also a means to determine accountability.
  4. the thread owner will be graded up/down depending on how well managed the thread: how many he banned (on negatives), how fast he got [SOLVED] (people may try to steal grades here), etc
  5. contributors up for fool-around and get-away, will receive temporary ban accessing threads above their grade
  6. for the system to work, we should all start fresh say at 100 points, with 100 being novice/well intended.
ah so you've read so far? i was just joking, i hope you realize that. made you look.
ps: lunatics. very funny. seems like you're facing the end of something. like rights. they're only rights if they don't wrong you. and anyone else around you. last part is in every movie. better not forget it.
2017-1-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-17 17:05
depends on what you call play. if that involves rubbing skin, then you may be right.
we may be at the same place, but not for the same reasons.

The reasoning is simple. There are some course people and some fine folks on here.  You need to try and get along with them all. Even those that don't agree with your sentiments and you can't see eye to eye.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-17 17:32
a puppy is something unable to take care of itself. to have one, you need to be able to care. they're not toys, cant give you anything they didnt receive first. dont know if you can have one. think wisely before asking.
just a joke, take it for what it is. i didnt ask for yours, you definitely invited mine. enjoy!

Yes, I have owned several animals including birds, dogs, fish, frogs, hamsters, snakes.
Even a baby duck. Back when no one cared.

They all required specific requirements, attention, care, love, warmth, respect, space, closeness, food and water... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

The forums are being updated and changed to suit the users and create the warmest environment for all users. That being said, there will always be a certain amount of trouble making. Please report posts that break the rules, and if you have any input as to what the forum should be like, post it in the forum suggestions thread. Thanks.
2017-1-18
Use props
ouroborus
lvl.1

United States

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-16 18:44

Hmmm, your version of moderating compares people to pets, some which you neuter and some which you put to sleep...  !?!

My observation is that the forum does a pretty good job of policing itself.  (Long before it considers anything as drastic as sending anybody to the showers or the ovens)   The Trolls typically make their presence know pretty quickly and banishment is about as drastic as it need to get.  Heck, I've already seen a potential candidate or two already (but the forum doesn't allow betting)
2017-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules