Winter Flights - Hand Warmers for battery temperature levels?
1777 6 2017-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans358f06e8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191896 ft
United States

Hey gang, so I'm in Northern Utah and this winter has been cold cold cold!  I'm hoping to do some free shots (no FAA 107 yet) at a couple of outdoor winter events in the next month, and I'm considering putting a hand warmer pack in with my batteries to help maintain the flying temperature levels.

Has anybody tried this? I have the Manfrotto knock off backpack which does pretty good, another option is to keep them close to my body while packing them.

Just curious if anybody has any results or history with this.

By the way, I'm not a stranger to flying in freezing temps with my Phantom 4.  If you've got no input, please enjoy the videos!

2017-1-16
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

I lived in Harrisville Ut. for a while after I got out of the Navy.  Got a job at Hill AFB.   Loved the state as far as places to go and things to see.
It was nice to see old familiar sites again.
Batteries....You don't want them too cold all right, but you don't want them to get too hot either.  The manual gives the operating temps.
Here in the Seattle area it has been very cold too. (19-28 degrees)  I pit mine in baggies and stuff them into my shirt on the way to where I'm going.  Then I keep them in an inner pouch on my hoody
under my over heavy coat.  This keeps them at a good warm temp until I fly.
A cold battery can go "numb" That's what they call it, and not work.  A hot or too warm battery is less efficient and will have overall less time to discharge or supply high wattage output when needed
so I wouldn't get them too warm.
Once you start flying the battery will heat up on it's own and help keep the electronics warm as well. So remember....warm...not hot{:4_177:}
2017-1-16
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Those are some very pretty shots! What Ive done before is I had to leave my p4 out in my car for a few hours before the shoot, and I just laid handwarmers on top of the battery and they were fine when it came time to fly. Ive flown my phantom in 10 degree weather before and it handles fine, just make sure that you keep the battery warm up until the minute you need to fly. I would advise putting maybe some toilet paper or paper towels or something thin that prevents full heat transfer from the handwarmer to the battery. The handwarmer laying bare on the battery could potentially get the battery too warm so you just want to put something thin between the battery and the handwarmer.
2017-1-17
Use props
eliot may
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

ok so I used some hand warmers for a few flights. Once i discovered that one of them leaked iron dust (the hand warmers use this) When I used the battery it was kaput. Im not sure if some of the iron dust got in my battery and shorted it, i didn't see any and the amount that leaked was not too much but I'm a little not so interested in losing another battery. I stuff them down my pants (lots of room down there) and keep them body temp prior to flight. Lots of flights in 20 degree weather, no problems. Just my $0.02
2017-1-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Put the battery in a sock just like wearing them in your boots. Yeah, or place them warmers in their own cloth sack. ;-)
That barrier is enough to protect them packs, from getting too excited. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-17
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

Folks.....{:4_177:} It's not like a toaster or something. These batteries have a lot of mass. Their covered in plastic and some sort of screen. You can't just stick them in a bag with a hand warmer for 20
minutes and think the temp is constant throughout the whole battery.  
If the temp is uneven,  well the battery will not preform as well as one that is consistent in temp,
These batteries are constructed like wafers. And, they are held together with an insulating type glue which can impede even heating.
Getting a battery to aa good operating temp is not hard. The battery doesn't have to be very warm.  60-70 degrees is idol.
If you know you are going flying tomorrow, just put them on a high shelf and let them stay at that temp. when you go flying....just keep them in an inside pocket.
Who knows how a cold inner cell can effect one of these drones.
There is just no such thing as a quick warm up {:4_177:}

2017-1-17
Use props
phillmatrix
New

Ukraine

Hi, folks. I am a fan of winter sports and would advise everyone to use the right equipment for the job. You should check out best hand warmer 2019 as it's important to keep your hands warm under such temperatures. Moreover, best heated socks 2019 would also be a great idea as limbs get cold pretty fast.  
2019-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules